Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Also that Memphis team was just better than us. They just couldn’t shoot free throws.

Yep. No shame in that. The fuck job was we could have been a 1 seed and should have been the top 2 seed. They put us against Memphis as the #1 overall and they were just so much better than us. They were way longer. 
we beat like 3 of the #1 seeds that year as I recall. UCLA, Kansas and maybe MSU?  Maybe we just got two of them. But fuck man, Memphis was just awesome that year, Kansas got lucky AF (and seized their chance amazingly) to beat them. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, the baserunning tonight was an abomination. Baserunning, to me, is like special teams. Usually it doesn’t matter, but when it does it will bite you in the ass and really ruin your day. I’d like to see it cleaned up as you’d think we need to play airtight in Omaha if we are going to dogpile, but when you have another team overmatched like we do here or like I’d expect to in our super you just kinda cross your fingers and hope it doesn’t get you at an inopportune time. 
It seems to have been a problem all year so just have to hope it doesn’t get you at the worst possible time. 
Pitching and defense make up for a lot of sins otherwise. We seem to have all of that we need which is the real hallmark, imo, of Texas baseball. 
@troph wasn’t wrong when she said that wasn’t playing to our standard in the 4th. It just didn’t ultimately happen to matter today. 
Not bringing in guys from 3rd with less than 2 outs is irritating, but the other guy is on scholarship too so sometimes you tip your hat. Giving away outs on the base paths and not taking candy like waltzing home when the infielder is on his back, or going 2 seconds too late on a delayed steal is about us, not them. You’d like to think you don’t fuck up what’s totally and completely within your control. 

Wow continuing your shitty takes across multiple boards today I see. 

Yeah our baserunning, especially at 3rd, could be our doom this postseason. It's been bitched about publicly and many have called out Pierce on his shitty 3b coaching but it clearly hasn't made a difference as we saw tonight. I'm just hoping that we don't get into too many situations where it matters. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah our baserunning, especially at 3rd, could be our doom this postseason. It's been bitched about publicly and many have called out Pierce on his shitty 3b coaching but it clearly hasn't made a difference as we saw tonight. I'm just hoping that we don't get into too many situations where it matters. 

I feel like this pitching staff and defense needs about 4 runs a game. Not easy to do against us. And we’ve proven time and time again that we can be up 2 or whatever and then the other team scores like 4 runs in the 6th then we almost immediately respond. There’s no Kody who’s truly dominate game in game out. Just a lineup 1-9 that works counts, has speed and someone different steps up every game. We don’t need to pray to get Mark Payton up anymore. Just sit back and let this lineup of patient, mentally tough grinders at the plate slowly squeeze the life out of the opposing pitcher. Then someone always seems to double in the gap or grind out a walk in a 10 pitch ab then whoever’s up with runners on goes for the kill shot. It’s fucking awesome. And when Ty Madden is “your worst shot at a win”, yeah you got a nice problem to have. This team feels so much like the 02 team it’s absurd 

• Hook 'Em 5

When we are up 5-0 after 4 against literally any team in the country we should expect to win 98% of the time. That's what this team does.

This, after tonight were 30-1 after scoring first. That’s just nuts - recent struggles from Ty and Kolby aside, our pitching and defense is filthy in quality and depth. We’re a top team on one side and an easily plus team on other, it shows. Let’s keep it rolling.
  • Hook 'Em 1

So, the baserunning tonight was an abomination. Baserunning, to me, is like special teams. Usually it doesn’t matter, but when it does it will bite you in the ass and really ruin your day. I’d like to see it cleaned up as you’d think we need to play airtight in Omaha if we are going to dogpile, but when you have another team overmatched like we do here or like I’d expect to in our super you just kinda cross your fingers and hope it doesn’t get you at an inopportune time. 
It seems to have been a problem all year so just have to hope it doesn’t get you at the worst possible time. 
Pitching and defense make up for a lot of sins otherwise. We seem to have all of that we need which is the real hallmark, imo, of Texas baseball. 
[mention=93]troph[/mention] wasn’t wrong when she said that wasn’t playing to our standard in the 4th. It just didn’t ultimately happen to matter today. 
Not bringing in guys from 3rd with less than 2 outs is irritating, but the other guy is on scholarship too so sometimes you tip your hat. Giving away outs on the base paths and not taking candy like waltzing home when the infielder is on his back, or going 2 seconds too late on a delayed steal is about us, not them. You’d like to think you don’t fuck up what’s totally and completely within your control. 

My buddies and I were in the stands and we were all thinking our punter Bobby Lilliljidahl (sp?) wasn’t at proper depth (against Penn St?). Sure enough in the 4th qtr he gets a punt blocked and we lose the game.

You got to keep your shit wired TIGHT on special teams! Saban doesn’t win titles by being sloppy. That’s for losers.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

My buddies and I were in the stands and we were all thinking our punter Bobby Lilliljidahl (sp?) wasn’t at proper depth (against Penn St?). Sure enough in the 4th qtr he gets a punt blocked and we lose the game.

You got to keep your shit wired TIGHT on special teams! Saban doesn’t win titles by being sloppy. That’s for losers.

Having a flashback.  The only time I remember playing Penn State was 1983 or 1984, start of the season. Went to New Jersey to dominate the Paterno crowd. Terry Orr, etc.  Band was awesome too. At beginning of halftime, the announcers are talking and all of sudden the LHB hits the first note of Grieg Medley, and I could not hear the announcers.  Very cool, indeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Spring Break 85, we didn't plan well and had to get a motel room across the boulevard from the beach (Padre).  Lilljedahl had the room next door with a rotating cast of football players that we hung with during "room hours."  Fun, funny dude.

9 hours ago, Horn80 said:

ASU coaches left that pitcher out to dry.  

Yep. Totally fucked the poor kid. Nobody warming up at all, coach comes out for an extended visit, then a pitch later sends everyone out to the pen. Completely botched the whole thing. What a trainwreck. I loved scoring the runs and beating their asses last night, but I felt a little bad for the guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. No shame in that. The fuck job was we could have been a 1 seed and should have been the top 2 seed. They put us against Memphis as the #1 overall and they were just so much better than us. They were way longer. 
we beat like 3 of the #1 seeds that year as I recall. UCLA, Kansas and maybe MSU?  Maybe we just got two of them. But fuck man, Memphis was just awesome that year, Kansas got lucky AF (and seized their chance amazingly) to beat them. 

MSU was a #5 that year, and we lost to them in the regular season. We beat #1s Kansas and UCLA that year, and also beat a #2 in Tennessee; UNC was the other #1…

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm fucking old, but when I was at Texas that wasn't a homer.

Yes and no. Hitting the monster wasn't a homer until this year, but the monster was lower until this year, too. From where I was sitting behind the Texas dugout, it looked like that ball hit the new upper extension. If so, it would have been a homer over the monster before. But y'all who watched it on tv could probably see it better.

9 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

How far is it center now? It was 400 back in the day?

It's 400.

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm old too, and one of our memories is failing.  There wasn't a monster in CF for most of DFF's existence unless I am mistaken.  And I think CF has always been 400'.

Even if it wasn't 400, that ball cleared the fence by 15 feet and was good for 425, easy.

There's been a monster out there since at least the early 80s, and I think it's always been there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

You’re old.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

Having a flashback.  The only time I remember playing Penn State was 1983 or 1984, start of the season. Went to New Jersey to dominate the Paterno crowd. Terry Orr, etc.  Band was awesome too. At beginning of halftime, the announcers are talking and all of sudden the LHB hits the first note of Grieg Medley, and I could not hear the announcers.  Very cool, indeed. 

We played them a home and home when I was in school 88-92 ish

9 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Silas is the catcher we have needed for years.

Yes sir. The throw down to second on the steal attempt was eye-popping - not just for being an absolute laser & right on the fucking money, but also because of how quick he got up & got the ball away. Just fantastic stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

Team reminds me of the 05 team a lot. Undeniably great pitching and defense and underrated offense up and down the line up with some stepping up at the right time.  This team has scored double digits in both games so far that’s kind of the definition of dominance on offense in CB.  

That 30-1 stat after scoring first is just insane. Confidence is a huge part of sports and that’s gotta be in everyone’s head. All the more reason to bring guys home early when we have the chance but like a lot of folks said, didn’t matter. Hell may never matter.  What matters is the W and damn it feels great to be back. Hook em.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pretty sure it wasn't there in the 80s into the 90s.  And presumably before the 80s.  Or, if it was there, it was spaced back from the CF fence, so it really wasn't a "monster."  Because you could spread out behind the fence all through the outfield back in the day.  

None of this is correct. You sure you were at the Disch? Holy crap.

It was there in 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, etc. It was not spaced back from the CF fence.. I guess you could spread out behind the fence, in the parking lot that was out there til recently. Unlike now though, you couldn't really see anything from there though because it was flat. And yeah, viewing from behind CF would have sucked ... because of the 20 foot tall wall between you and CF.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

To wit:

https://texassports.com/news/2005/5/12/051205aab_179.aspx

Also, I recall that before Pierce had the fences pulled in that despite the monster being at 400 feet, the deepest parts were on right-center and left-center, each at 405 feet, which were on either side of the monster (and not part of the monster). 

Gracias.

9 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I just remember Stubbs hitting a moonshot over it. Longest HR I’ve ever seen in person.

Yeah I was there for that one too. + Ontiveros, Brian Johnson x2, Scotty Bryant, Burnitz (I used to play ball with his older brother Willie when Jeremy was like 10 & hung around us all the time csb), Cridland, Teagarden, & some more. But damn, I'm not sure the ball Ivan hit earlier this year doesn't beat all of 'em ... hit the top of the left-center scoreboard & bounced over it.

Edited by wood

9 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

I remember so many Scott Bryant moonshots (including over the monster, too) -- an RBI-machine..... he just Mashed.

Still never seen a player at any level get as hot as he did for as long as he did that season. People pitched around him. Didn't matter. Just crushing everything. 

42 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

We played them a home and home when I was in school 88-92 ish

1989 here. We were leading 12-9 with about 7 minutes left in the game, then this happened:

4TH QUARTER

PSU   06:52    Humphries recovered blocked punt in endzone            16-12

Special teams matter. Base running matters.

BTW, the '89 OU game is a classic. Watch it if you ever get the chance. I think they have Bo Shembechler doing the color and he is blown away by it all.

Edited by Steel Shank

6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Our doom will be hitting against any pitcher with mid-90s velocity or a lefty with good stuff. The baserunning is annoying, though.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I haven’t played baseball in a very long time so I might be wrong here. When you are on third and the ball gets by the catcher, or the ball is hit on the ground, you aren’t checking with the third base coach before you act.  You are already prepared for these exact scenarios and make the split second decision yourself. The third base coach is there to tell you what to do when you’re hauling ass in from second and the play is happening behind you and you can’t see it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

I mean seriously we have fucking AJ Abrams Boobie PJ and LMA and we couldn't get to the Final Four? Was that the LSU loss year?

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

No it was Memphis, like I said before. Those cheating bastards. That win over us in the elite eight was later "vacated" but somehow AJ Abrams and company didn't get to magically go play in the 2008 Final Four retroactively. So little consolation.

The team they showed last night vs KU was 2006. by the time we played Memphis in 08, Tucker/Lamarcus/Gibson were long gone. 06 was the LSU debacle 

43 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Yeah, we won up there in 90, and lost at home, I think in 89. Then there was the Fiesta Bowl

I went to that game, it began the Shock the Nation season. I had “where the hell is State college” written on the back of my company truck. Got hammered before and during the game. Visited with Tom Penders while my buddy threw up in the bed of my truck. Got pulled over by campus police after the game and made to do a sobriety test in front of dozens of jeering pissed off PSU fans passing by. Good times.

6 hours ago, Walte464 said:

8ACF30CB-C270-4177-9AE0-AD0D33015ECE.jpeg

Nice. I'm in that one with my kid. You can't tell it in the photo, but the guy in the white shirt & white hat at the end of the Texas dugout is Nate Boyer. He never left that spot.

Edited by wood

31 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

1989 here. We were leading 12-9 with about 7 minutes left in the game, then this happened:

4TH QUARTER

PSU   06:52    Humphries recovered blocked punt in endzone            16-12

Special teams matter. Base running matters.

BTW, the '89 OU game is a classic. Watch it if you ever get the chance. I think they have Bo Shembechler doing the color and he is blown away by it all.

I’d say it goes something like 45% hitting, 40% pitching, 10% defense and 5% baserunning in order of importance for winning a game (assuming you don’t suck donkey dick at any of the 1 aspects.). We could run the bases backwards and beat a team like southern. We could go out there and field with oven Mitts and beat them. But, you see Leiter in game 2 of the championship series after losing game one to Rocker and you better not fucking dick around and give away outs or runs or you aren’t winning it all. 

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

@troph wasn’t wrong when she said that wasn’t playing to our standard in the 4th. It just didn’t ultimately happen to matter today. 

All. Of. This.

Pierce really needs to give up 3rd base coaching.

These are mistakes that will be magnified 10 times over when it's all on the line.  At some point dipshittery chickens do come home to roost.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

All. Of. This.

Pierce really needs to give up 3rd base coaching.

These are mistakes that will be magnified 10 times over when it's all on the line.  At some point dipshittery chickens do come home to roost.

Yep. Unless the other team is getting visited by their dipshittery chickens coming home to roost. But you’d rather not deal with that with something so easily corrected. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I haven’t played baseball in a very long time so I might be wrong here. When you are on third and the ball gets by the catcher, or the ball is hit on the ground, you aren’t checking with the third base coach before you act.  You are already prepared for these exact scenarios and make the split second decision yourself. The third base coach is there to tell you what to do when you’re hauling ass in from second and the play is happening behind you and you can’t see it. 

This is true to an extent, but sometimes coaches will take control and micro manage the runner in certain situations.  Either Pierce did that or our runners are just blatant morons.  It looks to me like the former, but who knows.  Something is up and that something is going to lose us a very important game.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. Unless the other team is getting visited by their dipshittery chickens coming home to roost. But you’d rather not deal with that with something so easily corrected. 

Some of the stuff that ASU was doing is an insult to dipshittery chickens.  Especially on the hill.

Edited by Cajun
Oh, and not having people already out in the bullpen, thus necessitating a dipshit brigade running out there while the pitcher can't find the zone? Holy shit!
  • Hook 'Em 1