Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

58 minutes ago, wood said:

Still never seen a player at any level get as hot as he did for as long as he did that season. People pitched around him. Didn't matter. Just crushing everything. 

For a while it seemed like Kyle Russell was going to hit a home run at every at bat. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, wood said:

Yes and no. Hitting the monster wasn't a homer until this year, but the monster was lower until this year, too. From where I was sitting behind the Texas dugout, it looked like that ball hit the new upper extension. If so, it would have been a homer over the monster before. But y'all who watched it on tv could probably see it better.

It's 400.

There's been a monster out there since at least the early 80s, and I think it's always been there. 

Was it ever "behind" the CF fence?  When I was in law school, a bunch of us would go to regional games after our finals were through and we didn't have tickets, so we'd all go watch over the outfield fences and drink beer and yell shit at the opponent's outfielders.  I seem to recall being able to look over the real fence in dead center field, but with the monster behind you.  It was a bad place to be though since you were so far away from the action.  This was before the "occupy LF" movement and its predecessors, but similar in theory.

It may be that I am thinking of the alleys either side of the fence, because they were even longer by a bit.

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Was it ever "behind" the CF fence? 

The monster? Nope.

Yeah, you're probably remembering the power alleys. I can remember back in the day watching from the buses out in right, sitting atop the outer retaining wall beyond where the LF bullpen is now, actually sitting on the RF inner fence just outside the foul pole with 3 buddies watching a Shannon Dorsey HR fly past, watching a sold out game from up in a tree just past RF, etc. Texan photog took a pic of me up in that tree, & it was on the Texan front page on Monday morning lol. Back then it was pretty much open season & you could sit/stand pretty much anywhere that wasn't in someone's way. Then the lawyers ...

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’d say it goes something like 45% hitting, 40% pitching, 10% defense and 5% baserunning in order of importance for winning a game (assuming you don’t suck donkey dick at any of the 1 aspects.)

Pitching should get the edge over hitting.  Hitters are generally looking to hit fastballs and mistakes in location.  If a pitcher gets ahead in counts so he can throw anything to mix up velocities and locations, and he's hitting his spots, he's more often than not going to put up a very good line even against a good lineup.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, wood said:

Still never seen a player at any level get as hot as he did for as long as he did that season. People pitched around him. Didn't matter. Just crushing everything. 

Scott Bryant hit the longest HR I've ever seen.  Saw him blast one to left that hit the old publishing building on one bounce. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Our boards do NOT show pitch count.   Drives me nuts.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, wood said:

The monster? Nope.

Yeah, you're probably remembering the power alleys. I can remember back in the day watching from the buses out in right, sitting atop the outer retaining wall beyond where the LF bullpen is now, actually sitting on the RF inner fence just outside the foul pole with 3 buddies watching a Shannon Dorsey HR fly past, watching a sold out game from up in a tree just past RF, etc. Texan photog took a pic of me up in that tree, & it was on the Texan front page on Monday morning lol. Back then it was pretty much open season & you could sit/stand pretty much anywhere that wasn't in someone's way. Then the lawyers ...

Yep, I remember there being "two" fences at certain parts.  Made it easier to hang off the fence because you could put your butt or back against the outer fence, instead of just hanging off the top with your feet on the lower crosspiece.

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

Scott Bryant hit the longest HR I've ever seen.  Saw him blast one to left that hit the old publishing building on one bounce. 

I think we were at the same game. I also saw Scott Vondemkamp hit one pretty much like that as well.

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Our boards do NOT show pitch count.   Drives me nuts.

Not that anyone here would have seen it, but Lou gehrig supposedly hit one 600 at Clark field.  I’m not sold on the measuring capabilities of the eyeballs that were in attendance that day, but you know it was long if that’s the number they settled on. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

There may be some heat-of-the-day popup showers, but nothing like yesterday's mid-day deluge.  As always, I defer to PhDhorn.  

But that even longer delay (was going to be 1 to 6, then 1 to 7, now 1 to Eight o'clock) only favors Texas more and more as the winner will likely be unable to use any pitcher from their afternoon game (save for some 6-pitch situational guy).  It's tough to throw relief at 2:30p, sit for 8 hours and then get brought on to hold your team in it at 10:30p at night.  That's not a traditional double-header relief possibility.  NO jinx.  

14 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Am I on crazy pills or did they change it form 7pm to 8pm? I had it in my head all weekend that it was 7pm tonight.

I think the PBP guys said they were pushing the elimination game for today back and hour since asu had a late night. The PBP guys also suck so it’s probably not true

Guest Lobo

Fuck ASU and their late night, not our fault they've never heard of weird shit like rain -or- pitching.  It's only 9:20a for them right now, not 11:20a.  Tell 'em to get their asses down to the Disch and play fucking baseball.  Fairfield, UT, and the NCAA websites all have the elimination game scheduled for 1:05p-CDT.  BP has already started, so I don't know what the fuck the Sun Devils are waiting on.  

If I'm ASU, I'm focusing on what arms we can use this afternoon that could still possibly stay loose and go again tonight versus Texas.  Same for Fairfield.  Coming at 3:00p and being called on again at 10:00p, that's a fucking challenge.  So get your shit straight ladies for tonight, Texas Sails to the Supers...

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah we should be hitting against the ragged bottom of a pitching staff and our opponent will be hitting against...checks notes...pete Hansen, Omar Quintanilla, and/or Aaron Nixon. 
I like our chances. 

image.gif.0498fbc63bf8e742207b73b5483e49cf.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/31/2021 at 11:28 AM, Lobo said:

We are paired with Florida.  

On 5/31/2021 at 11:31 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Fuck. Florida seems less than ideal in the super. If we got to pick second I doubt that’d be our pick. 

On 5/31/2021 at 11:34 AM, Lat22 said:

So we’ll have to go through Arizona St., Florida or maybe Miami before getting to Omaha. Pretty cool. 

What was that about Florida? You mean the regional host with the worst performance in NCAA history?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not that anyone here would have seen it, but Lou gehrig supposedly hit one 600 at Clark field.  I’m not sold on the measuring capabilities of the eyeballs that were in attendance that day, but you know it was long if that’s the number they settled on. 

Paging ArmyBrat! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cajun said:

You seem new here.

"Hey CDC, why no complimentary blumpkin when I take my 6th inning shit? I think Texas should do a lot better catering to lifetime Longhorns at the Disch!" 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

"Hey CDC, why no complimentary blumpkin when I take my 6th inning shit? I think Texas should do a lot better catering to lifetime Longhorns at the Disch!" 

5 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Lightbulb

fist bump

🤔

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Our doom will be hitting against any pitcher with mid-90s velocity or a lefty with good stuff. The baserunning is annoying, though.

ok this is exactly what I'm trying to say.  innings 1-3 against championship caliber opponents, we have to bring those guys on third home to score.  most of them got there on circumstances - bunt single, steal, error, steal, etc., not clean base hits to the outfield and that's ok.  but it's imperative especially if we end up with limited opportunities against a pitching staff that can stymie us at the plate.  it really doesn't matter about last night, that was pure dominance with chances every single inning to score and a clear path to victory with better pitching, better offense from top to bottom and a known formula - get to their bull pen and they will fall apart.  by the forth inning the game was really over.  In a more even match up I don't think I can handle 0-0 through 3 innings with 5 left in scoring position.  that's a fucking heart attack waiting to happen.  even still, they probably can over come that too.  given the track record of this team, I suspect they will step up as needed and have better than even odds to pull it all out in the end. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, troph said:

ok this is exactly what I'm trying to say.  innings 1-3 against championship caliber opponents, we have to bring those guys on third home to score.  most of them got there on circumstances - bunt single, steal, error, steal, etc., not clean base hits to the outfield and that's ok.  but it's imperative especially if we end up with limited opportunities against a pitching staff that can stymie us at the plate.  it really doesn't matter about last night, that was pure dominance with chances every single inning to score and a clear path to victory with better pitching, better offense from top to bottom and a known formula - get to their bull pen and they will fall apart.  by the forth inning the game was really over.  In a more even match up I don't think I can handle 0-0 through 3 innings with 5 left in scoring position.  that's a fucking heart attack waiting to happen.  even still, they probably can over come that too.  given the track record of this team, I suspect they will step up as needed and have better than even odds to pull it all out in the end. 

Yeah the number of 1st and 3rd, 1 out situations without scoring was pretty blah early on.  Get the ball in the air and sac fly the guy home.  DP doesn't score a run. 

Great, we scored 10 against ASU.  We likely wouldn't score 10 against most of the teams in Omaha. 

You have to manufacture runs early - especially against elite teams and when you have multiple situations to do so. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, wood said:

The monster? Nope.

I was just going to post the same. I remember RF at the Disch was the great tailgate area years ago.  We had  couple epic late inning rallies vs Miami that were awesome to watch in person.  Of course I also remembering road tripping to College Station and standing on the railroad tracks to watch the horns and flattening a penny when train came through. 

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, troph said:

If these statements are true, then why the consternation? The good teams, which I believe we are, find ways to win and correct mistakes.

Pierce is just not good as a 3rd base coach. Cam staying at 3rd last night and Campbell going home was dumb and both on Pierce. It’s money left on the table. Could it cause us issues against better teams? Sure, but this team is as complete a team as the 2002 team was. Two out hitting, pitching and defense is huge in baseball and we doing that. Those runs need to come in, but the team finds ways to get those back and then some. 

At the end of the day, we are debating luxury (nice to have) issues, which are good at this point in the season. 🤘🏼Let’s win today, get to the Supers and win 2 games and come back to debating when Texas gets back to Omaha. 🤘🏼

8 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I was just going to post the same. I remember RF at the Disch was the great tailgate area years ago.  We had  couple epic late inning rallies vs Miami that were awesome to watch in person.  Of course I also remembering road tripping to College Station and standing on the railroad tracks to watch the horns and flattening a penny when train came through. 

I remember one of those against Miami. 2 or 300 people left in the stands. Down by 7 in the 9th. 2 outs. Nobody on ... then we came back and won the got damn game. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Droopy said:

If these statements are true, then why the consternation? The good teams, which I believe we are, find ways to win and correct mistakes.

Pierce is just not good as a 3rd base coach. Cam staying at 3rd last night and Campbell going home was dumb and both on Pierce. It’s money left on the table. Could it cause us issues against better teams? Sure, but this team is as complete a team as the 2002 team was. Two out hitting, pitching and defense is huge in baseball and we doing that. Those runs need to come in, but the team finds ways to get those back and then some. 

At the end of the day, we are debating luxury (nice to have) issues, which are good at this point in the season. 🤘🏼Let’s win today, get to the Supers and win 2 games and come back to debating when Texas gets back to Omaha. 🤘🏼

Because baseball is a cruel sport. That’s why. 

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah the number of 1st and 3rd, 1 out situations without scoring was pretty blah early on.  Get the ball in the air and sac fly the guy home.  DP doesn't score a run. 

Great, we scored 10 against ASU.  We likely wouldn't score 10 against most of the teams in Omaha. 

You have to manufacture runs early - especially against elite teams and when you have multiple situations to do so. 

Especially when your 30-1 when scoring first. I want the first run in the first inning by hook or by crook I don’t care. Augie coached like that, I loved it. 

Just now, troph said:

Especially when your 30-1 when scoring first. I want the first run in the first inning by hook or by crook I don’t care. Augie coached like that, I loved it. 

Not just because you're 30-1 when scoring first, but because ASU was trying to gift you those runs and you let them off the hook multiple times.  Don't let an underdog get confidence.  Not in college sports. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

ok this is exactly what I'm trying to say.  innings 1-3 against championship caliber opponents, we have to bring those guys on third home to score.  most of them got there on circumstances - bunt single, steal, error, steal, etc., not clean base hits to the outfield and that's ok.  but it's imperative especially if we end up with limited opportunities against a pitching staff blah blah blah

Can we please not do this again? Can yall either just fuck or get over it?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

Luck favors the prepared. We are prepared and good. This team has the potential to be great, if they can fix the same issues discussed above. Other top teams also have these same issues they deal with. The cool thing is I feel like Texas Baseball is a catalyst for the rest of our athletic teams that feed off the excitement. Here’s to winning the whole fucking thing and giving Sark and Beard the momentum they need. Texas athletics fucks. Hook ‘em! 

6B46A823-E592-4D85-A34E-B70DC07FFE6D.jpeg

Edited by Droopy
Adding photo with DKR and New Basketball arena in the background.
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Luck favors the prepared. We are prepared and good. This team has the potential to be great, if they can fix the same issues discussed above. Other top teams also have these same issues they deal with. The cool thing is I feel like Texas Baseball is a catalyst for the rest of our athletic teams that feed off the excitement. Here’s to winning the whole fucking thing and giving Sark and Beard the momentum they need. Texas athletics fucks. Hook ‘em! 

6B46A823-E592-4D85-A34E-B70DC07FFE6D.jpeg

I’m down with this.

• Hook 'Em 2