Old (M. Knight Shyamalan trigger warning)

Parliament

I have a theory about M. Cunt Ramalamadingdong. I think that every five years or so, some new money producer from a Baltic country comes to America and asks for ideas. The person who overpaid for "Signs" and wants to recover his losses shows this guy "The Sixth Sense," doesn't say anything about the shit that followed, and boom a movie about people who are actually bees gets made

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

But what if... now hear me out... he gives us a twist ending?  Huh? Whaddyathink? 

He can even do a cameo if you like, all the greats do it!

What if the twist is that there is no twist?

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I had heard such negative reviews (yet remained unspoiled) when I did see it, I was all, “Well, that wasn’t so bad. I actually think I kinda liked it.” So I’m with you.

I haven't seen it in awhile, but I thought it got decent reviews.  I thought it was solid, even if you didn't like the story it had some heavy hitting actors in it.  His shit movies were terrible actors in a terrible plot.

Maybe it's a misdirection, but it feels like the trailer gives everything but the final twist ending away. 

I don't need to see the whole movie, I just need to watch about 2 minutes near then end. 

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
  • Hook 'Em 3

Dude is a good filmmaker who can make some awful awful films when he gets too full of himself. But when he reigns himself in, he is solid and even sometimes compelling. He seems to be on the redemption path.

I never understood why The Village gets such a bad rap. The Happening is the most unintentionally funny movie I've ever seen. The Lady in the Water and Avatar are unequivocally terrible.

"Swing away Merrill" is up there with "do you like apples" on the Mt Rushmore of dumb movie lines.

24 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I haven't seen it in awhile, but I thought it got decent reviews.  I thought it was solid, even if you didn't like the story it had some heavy hitting actors in it.  His shit movies were terrible actors in a terrible plot.

Wherever we were then, must have been Horn Fans, took a big collective shit on it, and many professional reviewers were unkind. Here’s what the late Roger Ebert wrote in his one-star review:

"The Village" is a colossal miscalculation, a movie based on a premise that cannot support it, a premise so transparent it would be laughable were the movie not so deadly solemn. It's a flimsy excuse for a plot, with characters who move below the one-dimensional and enter Flatland. M. Night Shyamalan, the writer-director, has been successful in evoking horror from minimalist stories, as in "Signs," which if you think about it rationally is absurd -- but you get too involved to think rationally. He is a director of considerable skill who evokes stories out of moods, but this time, alas, he took the day off.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-village-2004

There were others, too. I just did a cursory glance at this recent article that discusses the expectations vs. what MNS delivered, and how it was a giant letdown at the time, but revisiting the movie shows it didn’t deserve the scorn it received.

People were pissed. And I mean really, really angry. Your reaction to these twists kind of colored the rest of the film. I know it did for me. I wrote The Village off as a disappointment. And I was wrong.

https://collider.com/the-village-movie-underrated-m-night-shyamalan/

1 hour ago, ajax said:

Dude is a good filmmaker who can make some awful awful films when he gets too full of himself. But when he reigns himself in, he is solid and even sometimes compelling. He seems to be on the redemption path.

I never understood why The Village gets such a bad rap. The Happening is the most unintentionally funny movie I've ever seen. The Lady in the Water and Avatar are unequivocally terrible.

Fawlty Towers GIF - Fawlty Towers Fawltytowers - Discover & Share GIFs

17 hours ago, ajax said:

"Swing away Merrill" is up there with "do you like apples" on the Mt Rushmore of dumb movie lines.

16 hours ago, mchookem said:

i liked Signs a lot and usually watch it if it's on *ducks*

People like to shit on Signs, but I can't think of another movie I've ever seen in a theater on an opening weekend with more energy in the air or people on the edge of their seat the whole time.  People lost their minds at the swing away scene.  That was an electric movie going experience.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Tom said:

People like to shit on Signs, but I can't think of another movie I've ever seen in a theater on an opening weekend with more energy in the air or people on the edge of their seat the whole time.  People lost their minds at the swing away scene.  That was an electric movie going experience.

The whole baseball thing is easy to forgive if it wasn't for the lazy resolution being water killed the aliens. If he'd come up with something else, all would be easily forgiven. But, as a result, people picked apart everything and if you ever watch the fantastic Screen Rant Pitch Meetings on YouTube, there's not a movie in existence that's not full of plot holes.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, seven said:

I like a lot of his movies, but that trailer looks fucking terrible. 

I am the opposite here. Don't like a lot of his movies but this trailer grabbed me.

Kind of has a Stephen King's Thinner vibe to it, which I never saw. Was that good or well received?

Edited by DonkeyCigars

On 6/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

I am the opposite here. Don't like a lot of his movies but this trailer grabbed me.

Kind of has a Stephen King's Thinner vibe to it, which I never saw. Was that good or well received?

The book was great but the movie was only ok. Makeup was awful.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:19 AM, CooterBrown said:

The whole baseball thing is easy to forgive if it wasn't for the lazy resolution being water killed the aliens. If he'd come up with something else, all would be easily forgiven. But, as a result, people picked apart everything and if you ever watch the fantastic Screen Rant Pitch Meetings on YouTube, there's not a movie in existence that's not full of plot holes.

Sign's plot twist reveal is second only to the Sixth Sense.  Bit of a contrivance them being so allergic to water, but come on.  There are far worse deux ex machina's out there.  War of the Worlds comes to mind.

On 6/3/2021 at 6:31 PM, ajax said:

So nitpicky. You know what I mean. So they had to change the title to avoid confusion with the alien smurf movie. It's still the same story.

images.jpg

No, ajax. I don't "know" what you mean. 

• 1 month later...

I had forgotten The Visit was a product of M. Night.

That was a solid movie.

I enjoyed The Village although figuring it out 2/3 in.

Devil was ok.

As for Signs I want to like it but why on earth would aliens that are vulnerable to water come to a planet that is 3/4 covered with what will kill them?

And as a side note, the sign Mel Gibson's character is given gets lost in the story. It really does.

Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Split are the top dogs of his collection.

Will I watch Old, probly.

15 hours ago, Parliament said:

This review seems opposite and good: https://gizmodo.com/m-night-shyamalans-old-is-one-of-the-movie-visceral-i-1847283013

Seems like this movie is going to be very polarizing in a love it or hate it kind of way and won't be much middle ground.

M. Night Shyamalan's Old Is One of the Most Visceral, Intense Movies in Years

Director M. Night Shyamalan isn't just going for surprises this time, he's trying to punish you, and we loved it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Davis Lane said:

That was a solid movie.

Devil was ok.

As for Signs I want to like it but why on earth would aliens that are vulnerable to water come to a planet that is 3/4 covered with what will kill them?

And as a side note, the sign Mel Gibson's character is given gets lost in the story. It really does.

M Night didnt direct Devil

I just took my geriatric mother to see it and the best part was when my mom needed to take a shit and I had to help her getting to and from the women's restroom, which reduced the amount of time I lost to this shitacular movie by a good half hour.

I can only describe the experience as what it might be like to eat a shit sandwich that someone dipped into a vat of shit before shitting all over it.  M. Night Shitmalan is a shitty director who makes shitty movies that appeals to shitty people with shitty taste and shit for brains.

The blond was pretty smoking, but then HE SHIT ALL OVER HER, TOO!!!!
Abbey-Lee-618x400.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

That was a solid movie.
Devil was ok.

So if there was a rational explanation for why aliens invaded a planet covered in poison, you’d like Signs?

They ran out of easy planets to invade. We were their only option or starve to death.

You’re welcome.