the USFL is back

Sandman

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

White face, white arm, sleeved arm, black legs. I get those are supposed to be socks, I guess, but you don't see muscle definition like that through cloth and you also can't see hairs, as you can on the left. It's shitty graphic design. 

Also, the only team that has ankle socks that are a different color than the leg sleeve

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

White face, white arm, sleeved arm, black legs. I get those are supposed to be socks, I guess, but you don't see muscle definition like that through cloth and you also can't see hairs, as you can on the left. It's shitty graphic design. 

I think the leggings are maroon to match the jersey. I for one am happy to see some woke recognition for our maroon skinned brothers and sisters. And we definitely need to work on cancelling aggy for their constant use of maroon face.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The legs aren't black. They're maroon. Same color as the home jersey. No human has skin that color without, say, jumping into a tub full of ink. Adjust your goddamn monitor so the colors are correct.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The league must have caved to political pressure and required players to be 75 percent black, so that's why they have one Caucasian arm.

• Haha 2

I call myself the Dan Marino of backyard football with the kids and dog. If I don't release the football quicker than Dan, the dog tackles me. The dog's not worried about roughing the passer, late hits, or biting to strip the football. Also, I don't have any rings from the games.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, n64ra said:

I call myself the Dan Marino of backyard football with the kids and dog. If I don't release the football quicker than Dan, the dog tackles me. The dog's not worried about roughing the passer, late hits, or biting to strip the football. Also, I don't have any rings from the games.

Don't you mean "ruffing the passer"? That joke always kills when I'm playing with the kids and dogs.

• Haha 2

All games in Birmingham, except championship game will be in Canton. Is the NFL working with both XFL and USFL? I seriously just cannot comprehend not one but two concurrent attempts at minor-league football, where multiple leagues have failed over and over and over again. One thing I learned from watching a few of the last minor league attempt is that there just aren't many good quarterbacks once you get past the NFL's backups and practice squads. Football with bad quarterbacking is just boring as fuck. Pure defensive battles. I can appreciate good defenses but not when its being handed to them by horrible qb play.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

All games in Birmingham, except championship game will be in Canton. Is the NFL working with both XFL and USFL? I seriously just cannot comprehend not one but two concurrent attempts at minor-league football, where multiple leagues have failed over and over and over again. One thing I learned from watching a few of the last minor league attempt is that there just aren't many good quarterbacks once you get past the NFL's backups and practice squads. Football with bad quarterbacking is just boring as fuck. Pure defensive battles. I can appreciate good defenses but not when its being handed to them by horrible qb play.

I can't comprehend two Adeoye's getting drafted in the same round.

20 hours ago, 'stache said:

Is the NFL working with both XFL and USFL? I seriously just cannot comprehend not one but two concurrent attempts at minor-league football, where multiple leagues have failed over and over and over again. 

This has to be some sort of scam where failure of the league results in a windfall for the organizer.   Maybe they sold 1000% of the stock and have Springtime for Hitler in Germany as the theme song.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Does anybody know WHY they are doing this?

That's the most puzzling thing to me, and the aspect (outside of history) most likely to sink this.  I mean, I'll turn this on the tube over anything else that might happen to be on, but you aren't going to get shit for attendance this way.

Prior to COVID, those XFL games were reasonably well attended.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

30 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Does anybody know WHY they are doing this?

I don't specifically recall why all the games are in Birmingham, but they apparently had to move the championship game because the stadium in Birmingham was already booked for the World Games. Canton seems like a decent place to be taken seriously as a football league. 

I think it's just as crazy that they just had the draft and are expected to start the inaugural season in a month and a half. The quality on the field is going to be attrocious.

8 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Not all of their fans will be that good at math.

Just because I’m not good at math doesn’t mean I’ll be a fan. I mean, I probably will be, I liked it back in ‘83 when I was 13. Why should now be any different? 

8 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

My best guess is because of Covid protocols but they also might want to test viewership and things like that in case it doesn’t work out and folds like the AAF did. 

They're also increasing the odds of it folding in the first year by not playing in home markets.

And at this point, are there even Covid protocols any more?  

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They're also increasing the odds of it folding in the first year by not playing in home markets.

And at this point, are there even Covid protocols any more?  

I don't think there are any "odds" in whether or not this thing will fail. It will fail, like all minor league football. 100% guaranteed regardless of how it's structured.

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't think there are any "odds" in whether or not this thing will fail. It will fail, like all minor league football. 100% guaranteed regardless of how it's structured.

I think the last iteration of the XFL was on it's way to surviving before COVID threw everything off the track.

I still think minor league football can make it (our appetite is that damn high) but they have to do nearly everything right and the USFL is doing a lot of things wrong.

50 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think the last iteration of the XFL was on it's way to surviving before COVID threw everything off the track.

I still think minor league football can make it (our appetite is that damn high) but they have to do nearly everything right and the USFL is doing a lot of things wrong.

I watched some AAF and XFL and the quality of play was atrocious, especially at QB. I just don't think there are enough skill players past the NFL and scout teams to be high quality football, especially when it's not a full time job for these players. And this league is starting play a month after their inaugural draft, so a bunch of people who haven't played together with second-hand coaching trying to put a product on the field with left behind players, with a month's practice. It's going to be terrible football, but I'll give it a try of course despite my skepticisms. 

Edited by 'stache

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I watched some AAF and XFL and the quality of play was atrocious, especially at QB. I just don't think there are enough skill players past the NFL and scout teams to be high quality football, especially when it's not a full time job for these players. And this league is starting play a month after their inaugural draft, so a bunch of people who haven't played together with second-hand coaching trying to put a product on the field with left behind players, with a month's practice. It's going to be terrible football, but I'll give it a try of course despite my skepticisms. 

That never bothered me because I don't expect this to be as good as the NFL.  It's just background football, which is better than pretty much anything else on TV in April.

Your next point is spot on and one of the things that the USFL is fucking up, besides not playing in the host cities.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Who's the red, horny mascot at the end of the video? Satan?

That thing is fucking terrifying.

My initial thought was "all mascots are ridiculous.  How bad could it be?

It was that bad.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

Joel Klatt is on the call and the first game is also on the local NBC affiliate, so 3 network coverage for the debut.  On Easter Sunday they are having three games in three time slots on NBC USA FS1.  Some of the games are on Peacock too.  Pretty cool to have a football option on Easter.  Hopefully this league will fare better than AAFL and XFL did.