Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain

The Dog

On 7/23/2021 at 8:00 PM, futureman said:

watching no reservations macau and tony is bungee jumping. his voice-over as he leans forward off the lip of the skyscraper is something like “and then I’m falling through space for six seconds, which isn’t long enough, and for a brief moment life doesn’t hurt anymore.”

rewatching the old shows, little shit like that is definitely gonna hit a bit harder than it did the first time. 

I’ve watched almost all No Reservations episodes at least 3-4 times over the years and you could play a drinking game to the number of times he reflects on mortality or makes an off handed joke about killing himself. Several times he’s complimented the food he’s eating by saying something to the effect of “this is what will be next to me when you find my dead body”. It was a part of his personality that I never noticed until after he killed himself. 

• 3 months later...

first i'm seeing this so nsiap.

bourdain used to post on a bjj site. damn i miss this dude.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/anthony-bourdain-jiujitsu-secret-reddit-posts-1268801/

i wonder if anyone famous is posting on here and will later get identified. i'm sure we'll all agree, "that dude was an asshole!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

first i'm seeing this so nsiap.
bourdain used to post on a bjj site. damn i miss this dude.
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/anthony-bourdain-jiujitsu-secret-reddit-posts-1268801/
i wonder if anyone famous is posting on here and will later get identified. i'm sure we'll all agree, "that dude was an asshole!"

I post on /BJJ from time to time. I didn’t know he posted there. I looked through his posting history real quickly, but I don’t think we had any interactions. Interesting.

Ah, I missed that Rolling Stone grabbed the quotes too. Oh well, I’ll leave them here for the lazy like me.

I pulled a couple of his posts. This one was about BJJ academy etiquette (in particular at Gracie Barra, a place I have trained at).  His take on it is exactly the way I feel.  Most Americans do not feel this way. 

image.thumb.jpeg.85befa347c4cd0f3794761c8183f62db.jpeg
And one of his comments regarding drink/drugs and training. And how BJJ often becomes an addiction for those that train. I think many white and blue belts feel this way until life gets in the way or they burn out. Few make it to the upper belts.  It seems BJJ was a positive in his life. 

image.thumb.jpeg.12f6780c4c23248568e6a3b3bd57aab7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I pulled a couple of his posts. This one was about BJJ academy etiquette (in particular at Gracie Barra, a place I have trained at).  His take on it is exactly the way I feel.  Most Americans do not feel this way. 

image.thumb.jpeg.85befa347c4cd0f3794761c8183f62db.jpeg

And one of his comments regarding drink/drugs and training. And how BJJ often becomes an addiction for those that train. I think many white and blue belts feel this way until life gets in the way or they burn out. Few make it to the upper belts.  It seems BJJ was a positive in his life. 

image.thumb.jpeg.12f6780c4c23248568e6a3b3bd57aab7.jpeg

It's cool being able to read that in his voice.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I was thinking the same.  Is this on a streaming service yet?  If not I’m just going to rent it this weekend and can’t wait to watch it!  He just seemed like the coolest and most wise guy ever.  Definitely at my dinner party, if you do the if you could have anyone dead or alive there thing.  

Edited by Hook1997

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Does being a member of the Austin City Council, or being arrested for throwing rocks off of I-35 overpasses, or making nearly $375,000 off of Amazon for writing erotic ebooks about life as an Irish maid to rich assholes in New York's Upper Westside in the 1870s who made their money from the railroads and Civil War profiteering count?

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is the best

April 22, 2015, 4:12 p.m.

After 45 minutes of sprawls and burpies, it’s time for live rolling. Someone puts on Rupert Holmes’ “Piña Colada Song” and right away the 270 lb former wrestler who just got dumped by his girlfriend, angrily passes my guard, slaps me into side control and sinks his weight into my jaw. He’s wearing a new but filthy Atama gi. It feels like a cheese grater against my cheek as he grinds away at me. I can hear my teeth making terrible sounds and am pretty sure my crowns are going to explode any second. Jabba The Wrestler has been eating at Subway. I can smell rancid, sour, pre-sliced onions on his breath, which, sadly does little to mask the horrifying miasma of swamp ass rising from his sweaty thighs. As my teeth give way, the music changes to Don Mclean’s “American Pie”. I pray for death but I’m already dead.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Does being a member of the Austin City Council, or being arrested for throwing rocks off of I-35 overpasses, or making nearly $375,000 off of Amazon for writing erotic ebooks about life as an Irish maid to rich assholes in New York's Upper Westside in the 1870s who made their money from the railroads and Civil War profiteering count?

Who is that last one?

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Didn’t the founder of Silk Road post here too? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Late notice but Bourdain in PI is on CNN right now.  If you want to tear up watch the last ten minutes.  My wife's mother was like the old woman there.  My wife and her sisters grew up without a mother while she worked abroad to support the family.

• 1 year later...

I finally watched the movie tonight.  Damn, that was heavy.  And made me uncomfortable because I see a lot of similarities between him and I.  I am not saying I am as talented as he was (from cooking to writing, etc).  From some of the perhaps inconsequential like one of my favorite movies since I was 17 has been Apocalypse Now, to this ridiculous wanderlust, addictive personality, hopeless romantic shit, questioning if I am good father and trying to balance it with my lame attempts at photography (and the time away from my family).  Plus, like all of y'all, I was a huge fan.  That was a kick to the chest.

Edited by Patricio Swayze

I remember watching the last episode of his tv series that was produced, and throughout the episode I'm feeling like something is really different, really strange.

It took me a moment and then I realized there was none of the usual narration from him with the humorous/sarcastic quips... because he was dead.  

There was also an episode that was on some Greek or Indonesian island somewhere, and they showed him shopping and buying a ton of food and then cooking it all outdoors on this big patio with the ocean/beach as the backdrop, and after cooking this enormous amount of food, including a huge octopus, he then plated it all out and set this big table.  And then it just showed him sitting there at the table, alone.

I'm sure the crew chowed down, but I thought it was a terribly lonely scene and I felt like at the time he must've felt really isolated/alienated.   

21 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I remember watching the last episode of his tv series that was produced, and throughout the episode I'm feeling like something is really different, really strange.

It took me a moment and then I realized there was none of the usual narration from him with the humorous/sarcastic quips... because he was dead.  

when he fired the long time camera man, that was a massive red flag 

the man had no idea how to be happy. He thought he had happiness with Asia, but she like ottavia just played him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ive watched it a couple of times. It’s so sad seeing his demons overtake him in that last section of his life. When he gutted his crew of so many years as he shifted his addictions to that cunt Asia, that was the time for an intervention. Too bad no one saw it til the end.

I was a very early fan of his before he was on TV, but frankly tired of his ego in his later years as he took on gigs that he formerly ridiculed other chefs for doing prior, like judging home cooks with Ludo LeFebvre, and he became the Bourdain character. To let his anguish over Asia fucking around off himself was a selfish stupid act to inflict on his daughter and many friends.

11 hours ago, Augustus said:

I've never been able to bring myself to watch that episode. 

• Hook 'Em 1