PSA - ABIA And TSA Lines

Wally Pryor

7 hours ago, zman13 said:

Lines at AUS were much shorter this morning. Around 20 to 45 mins to get through security

Probably because Southwest cancelled virtually all of it's 7:30am flights for some god damned reason.  Found that out via text from 5am when I woke up at 6.  Still no clue what happened.

Best I can see, Southwest cancelled one flight into Austin and one flight out of Austin today (my apologies if the data I looked at is wrong... wouldn't be the first time).  Dallas Love had 40 cancellations and DFW had almost 400.  Austin had 11, 2 of which were SWA.  Those 2 SWA cancelled Austin flights were from and to Dallas because of the storms rolling through there.  Lots of others were delayed but eventually went.  Dallas was shutdown for quite a while and it was wreaking havoc on the whole system, not only because planes were stuck there but also because once they could finally takeoff they still had to avoid those storms and fly on routes they wouldnt have otherwise been on.    Entire departure and arrival routes get shut down on days like today and all the planes have to be put on other routes that already have planes on them.  They have to keep those planes a specific distance apart from each other and leave them room to deviate around individual storm cells.  I operated a flight from Hobby this afternoon and ATC needed 30 miles of separation between each plane taking off from Hobby because our normal routes we'd be joining were already full of planes avoiding the storms near Dallas.  That's about a takeoff every 10 minutes instead of the usual one per minute.  A 6 minute planned taxi becomes an hour long taxi with that.  Any plane taking off to go north from Houston this afternoon had to go east or west first.  That fucks with all the planes that were only going east or west to begin with because there's now too many airplanes on those routes.  Same thing was happening at every other airport within a few hundred miles of the storms.  That's why weather in one major city can fuck with flights that weren't even coming or going from that city.  It's like when I-35 gets shutdown and Mopac gets fucked because of it.   People on Mopac wonder why it's so jammed up when there's not even a wreck on Mopac.

For TSA lines these days the leisure travel days/times are going to be the worst.  Thursday-Saturday departures.  Mid-week shouldn't be as bad as almost every flyer is flying for leisure right now and going on weekend trips.   

Thanks for the tip on Clear.  I've seen it but never really looked into it.  I'm taking 2 trips with my kids this summer and one with my Dad.  Definitely going to try to time the 2 month trial to cover all 3 trips. 

Sorry for being so wordy.  I'm bored in a hotel.

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 3

+1 for Clear.  Never paid much attention to it because I had already done TSAPre and G.E., but arrived early for a flight a couple of months ago and figured what the hell.   Even with the sign-up I was still ahead timewise vs. going through the TSAPre line at ATL.  It's as close as you can come to the old days when you could walk into the airport and right on to a flight without going from one line to another.

Flights are getting shuffled pretty frequently right now in my experience.  Since we have gotten vaccinated, we have flown to Nola and have a tripe to Belize and another to Ecuador booked that are makeups from last year.  Every one of the 3 trips has had a flight changed at least once.  The Ecuador flight is Delta and it has probably been changed 3 times at this point. 

25 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Flights are getting shuffled pretty frequently right now in my experience.  Since we have gotten vaccinated, we have flown to Nola and have a tripe to Belize and another to Ecuador booked that are makeups from last year.  Every one of the 3 trips has had a flight changed at least once.  The Ecuador flight is Delta and it has probably been changed 3 times at this point. 

My flight to USVI next week has been changed about 15 times in the past two months.  It's only adjusted a few minutes each direction with each change but still, I've never seen that amount of tweaking to existing routes.

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Any experience with clear pass coming back to the US through customs?

Unless it's new CLEAR has absolutely nothing to do with customs or immigration.   Looked it up.  Looks like its just partnered with the Customs mobile app.   Mobile app lines can be shorter lines but sometimes they are just as long.    I'll be interested to seeing how that works.

Edited by midtown

12 minutes ago, midtown said:

Unless it's new CLEAR has absolutely nothing to do with customs or immigration.   Looked it up.  Looks like its just partnered with the Customs mobile app.   Mobile app lines can be shorter lines but sometimes they are just as long.    I'll be interested to seeing how that works.

https://www.clearme.com/support/clearpass

Yeah I'm not sure how it works but there is the FAQ for it.

Global Entry has always been a time saver entering the US. Clear saves my life all the time, walking me to the head of the TSA-Pre line. If Clear is better than GE at customs, it is hard to see how, but worth it.

4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

If Clear is better than GE, it is hard to see how, but worth it.

As far as I can tell the CLEAR plus just directs you to the mobile passport app which has been around for years and years.  And honestly I can't even remember seeing a dedicated line anymore.  I think pretty much everyone is now in the same line.   It's not like they are handing out customs cards inbound anymore.  They just direct everyone to a kiosk or the app as far as I can tell but I haven't gone that route in a very long time.

Edited by midtown

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

signed up for the free trail of clear plus....how long doe sit take to finish the process once you arrive at the aiport?

Clear sign-up took my wife and I about 10-15 minutes.  There wasn't anyone ahead of us and I didn't get flagged as a poster on this site so take that for what it's worth.....it was simple.  From there they treated us like an existing user and walked us around 200 people waiting in line and right to the x-ray machine.  Same process sans the sign-up anytime you fly there-after.  Walk up to a Clear kiosk, check in, and someone acting as if they are a security concierge walks you behind the ropes and right to x-ray.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Clear sign-up took my wife and I about 10-15 minutes.  There wasn't anyone ahead of us and I didn't get flagged as a poster on this site so take that for what it's worth.....it was simple.  From there they treated us like an existing user and walked us around 200 people waiting in line and right to the x-ray machine.  Same process sans the sign-up anytime you fly there-after.  Walk up to a Clear kiosk, check in, and someone acting as if they are a security concierge walks you behind the ropes and right to x-ray.

is this with or without pre-check as well?

2 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

is this with or without pre-check as well?

Can't really answer that as I already had TSA pre and GE when I did Clear and I don't recall any discussion about that one way or the other.  I don't know if TSA pre or GE expedites Clear sign-up or not.

As far as I can tell the CLEAR plus just directs you to the mobile passport app which has been around for years and years.  And honestly I can't even remember seeing a dedicated line anymore.  I think pretty much everyone is now in the same line.   It's not like they are handing out customs cards inbound anymore.  They just direct everyone to a kiosk or the app as far as I can tell but I haven't gone that route in a very long time.

When I came back from Belgium in December 2019 to Newark, the cattle were in one long line and I was sent to a global entry kiosk. Saved me at least 20-30 minutes, and then Clear allowed me to jump past hundreds of folks and catch my flight home during busy holiday crowd traffic.

Well worth the money. Saved me time and time again from missing flights.

21 minutes ago, royiv said:

Related topic... AA announced a major expansion at ABIA this morning.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/American-Gives-Customers-More-Choices-with-More-Flights-from-Austin-NET-RTS-06/default.aspx

They really need to renovate and expand the Admiral’s Club.

It really is dumpy. Definitely time for a refresh.

Would be kind of nice to have access/an app to real time wait times so one could plan ahead.

i can tell you at this exact moment (3:27pm) how long the wait is for Space Mountain at Disneyland.. but the airport? Nope. is that too much to ask?

i am not sure what would piss me off more : missing my flight due to a long TSA line OR arriving at the airport 3 hours ahead of time and breezing thru a 5 minute TSA line.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Would be kind of nice to have access/an app to real time wait times so one could plan ahead.

i can tell you at this exact moment (3:27pm) how long the wait is for Space Mountain at Disneyland.. but the airport? Nope. is that too much to ask?

i am not sure what would piss me off more : missing my flight due to a long TSA line OR arriving at the airport 3 hours ahead of time and breezing thru a 5 minute TSA line.

Yeah but Space Mountain is way more fun than the airport.

27 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Doesn't the My TSA app do the same?

Yes.    Not sure how accurate it is by the MyTSA app has had this exact feature for a very long time

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mdmost said:

Not for Austin but DFW, IAH, and SAT are viewable.

https://www.tsawaittimes.com/

Doesn't the My TSA app do the same?

thanks for posting that. this is the link to Austin, which also also shows typical peak times at the bottom.

https://www.tsawaittimes.com/security-wait-times/AUS/Austin-Bergstrom-International

Edited by yoladu

My Global Entry lapsed during Covid-19.  And I think I'm beyond my grace period.  For those of you that have renewed lately or I guess started over---how long did it take? 

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

My Global Entry lapsed during Covid-19.  And I think I'm beyond my grace period.  For those of you that have renewed lately or I guess started over---how long did it take? 

it took me a few weeks and my wife over a year and we applied in the same hour.  there was no explanaton why.

WTF with a bunch of cancellations this week. Mrs. Mo flew to RGV to visit family last Wednesday. First flight from DFW cancelled, but able to rebook on a later on. Was scheduled top fly back today and learned yesterday that her flight, and the next 3 flights for the day also cancelled and wasn't getting on one until late tonight. Ended up booking a SW flight last night. No weather issues, so who knows. 

15 minutes to get through this morning at 10am.

Get to Salt Lick to get some breakfast tacos, line has 5 people in front of me at 10:15. 

10:25 the guy in front of me goes up to order and she says no more breakfast so fuck them. Go over to Earl Campbell's taco truck, stand in line for over 5 minutes and don't move an inch so I went and sat down. Why the fuck are flyright/east side pies/hat creek shut down? Other places stop serving breakfast at 10:30 but you can't open till 11? What kind of fucked up shit is that.

It was a shit show early Friday morning.  Glad we signed up for a Clear trial.  5 minutes to finish enrolling and we got to skip the mess that was the security line. Every place that was open with food had long ass lines.  IAH seemed calmer when we changed planes there though it was still really busy.  That’s 2 fridays in a row that I know for sure have been crazy.  May just be a Friday and Saturday thing

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/18/2021 at 8:15 AM, Biff Tannen said:

FYI lines at 8:30 were super short. No line for pre-tsa. 

15 hours ago, kevwun said:

It was a shit show early Friday morning.  Glad we signed up for a Clear trial.  5 minutes to finish enrolling and we got to skip the mess that was the security line. Every place that was open with food had long ass lines.  IAH seemed calmer when we changed planes there though it was still really busy.  That’s 2 fridays in a row that I know for sure have been crazy.  May just be a Friday and Saturday thing

Yeah what?  What time?  Easy breezy at 8:30. 

On 6/13/2021 at 7:01 AM, Mo Horn said:

WTF with a bunch of cancellations this week. Mrs. Mo flew to RGV to visit family last Wednesday. First flight from DFW cancelled, but able to rebook on a later on. Was scheduled top fly back today and learned yesterday that her flight, and the next 3 flights for the day also cancelled and wasn't getting on one until late tonight. Ended up booking a SW flight last night. No weather issues, so who knows. 

was this on AA and on 737s?  Saw some tweets about it.  people were speculating that they don't have enough pilots rated for the 737s with all the MAX planes that are coming back into the rotation.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

As opposed to what? The usual security screening?

Waiting in a long ass line to get in? The clear line is super fast - I used it for the LSU game and it was way less of a cluster fuck you just show up and they let you right in.