PSA - ABIA And TSA Lines

Wally Pryor

We were leaving west palm beach on an early ass flight. Before security I asked my daughter if she had a water bottle in her backpack and if so get rid of it. Of course she said she didn’t have one but did and we got flagged

We got stuck behind some Cubans or Puerto Ricans with all kinds of shit. They were pulling out Irish spring soap, bananas, toothpaste, all kinds of shit. Looked like a grocery store

We had to wait like 20-30 mins behind them because of one fucking water bottle that immediately got thrown away

2 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Canned whole tomatoes are not a thing in Mexico. If you can even find them in the imported food areas, they're usually $5/can.

Whereabouts in Mexico do you live?  

• 1 month later...

We are flying out of Austin to Wisconsin at 10:30 Friday morning.  If we get to the airport by 7:00 should we be ok to get through security on time?  A friend who flies all the time for work says the tsa lines are pretty unpredictable right now. My wife and I have tsa precheck and clear, but my parents are going with us and they have neither.  My wife bought the tickets so they may or may not get pre-check when we check in.  I don’t want to count on it.  They both have enough bionic parts that the X-ray machine is always an adventure.

I flew out at that same time last Friday. I got there at 7:30 and breezed through security. The line was long, but it was pre 9/11 screening so no taking off shoes, no taking laptops out of bags, and going through the old metal detectors. There was a bomb dog, but that was a quick process. Now obviously, past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results, but that was my experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I know nothing about the current state of the lines these days, but can the parents get the 30 day free trial on CLEAR? That still around?  

I thought about that, but don't see anything about a free trial on their website.  We are on the family plan of a friend, so we don't have that option.

29 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I flew out at that same time last Friday. I got there at 7:30 and breezed through security. The line was long, but it was pre 9/11 screening so no taking off shoes, no taking laptops out of bags, and going through the old metal detectors. There was a bomb dog, but that was a quick process. Now obviously, past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results, but that was my experience. 

wait...is that just bc there's so much overflow/huge crowds or has TSA regained some common sense??

For what it’s worth, the bag drop and security lines this morning were a breeze, but I’m guessing a Wednesday departure is different than on Friday or Saturday. However, the FastPark shuttles were understaffed for the morning crowd, and some folks had been waiting 15 minutes or so for a shuttle.

• Hook 'Em 1

Unrelated but does anyone know if they are going to be bringing back valet parking? We used it in March of 21 but last time we flew it was blocked off and deserted. They still have a sign for it as you drive in to the short term parking. It was obviously very convenient and not that much more expensive than other options for a weekend trip. 

19 hours ago, kevwun said:

We are flying out of Austin to Wisconsin at 10:30 Friday morning.  If we get to the airport by 7:00 should we be ok to get through security on time?  A friend who flies all the time for work says the tsa lines are pretty unpredictable right now. My wife and I have tsa precheck and clear, but my parents are going with us and they have neither.  My wife bought the tickets so they may or may not get pre-check when we check in.  I don’t want to count on it.  They both have enough bionic parts that the X-ray machine is always an adventure.

Subtle but so damn funny 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Honest question... what does Clear get you that Global Entry doesn't. 

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

You can skip the TSA pre-check line and regular security line.  Clear has their own lane where you scan your eyes at a machine and then are good to go. 

This, but I'm yet to have problems with TSA-pre line being too long.  Clear doesn't do anything Global Entry doesn't on the way back in, unless I'm mistaken.

So what happens if you use a different email and sign up for the free trial? It says If you create a second account with a new e-mail, you will not be able to complete your enrollment at the airport.

Anyone try this?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's super fun is that this now appears to be just a random thing that occurs every few weeks or so.  You will likely show up at the airport, and the TSA lines will be normal and manageable.  But every 20-30 days, some of us will draw the black bean, and show up with a line longer than the one outside South Austin's mom's bedroom.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What's super fun is that this now appears to be just a random thing that occurs every few weeks or so.  You will likely show up at the airport, and the TSA lines will be normal and manageable.  But every 20-30 days, some of us will draw the black bean, and show up with a line longer than the one outside South Austin's mom's bedroom.

Perhaps you have angered the universe?

• Hook 'Em 1