Pick-up game in Heaven -- you get first pick

TexArcher

Although I'd take Jordan first, and I am not much of a Steph Curry fan, it seems like Curry is the most unguardable (least guardable?) player I've ever seen, only because his reasonable shooting range is out to forty fucking feet. 

Just as a contrarian way of looking at a pretty routine question, you could take Curry and Durant and put them with some killer rebounders and maybe Scottie Pippen as your lockdown defender... well it would be interesting. 

On 6/6/2021 at 12:09 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

KD is flat better than Bird imo. 

At what, exactly?  You could argue that KD is Larry's equal as a shooter (and that's debatable), but Larry was a much better low post scorer, rebounder, passer, and defender.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

At what, exactly?  You could argue that KD is Larry's equal as a shooter (and that's debatable), but Larry was a much better low post scorer, rebounder, passer, and defender.

hmm I would think KD is the better shooter and iso player, while yes bird is a better facilitator. both are clutch but Larry is I think the most clutch, so I would give him that. 

I would take Bird I think, but KD is close. I like Bird's assholedness too, but as for KD the guy just wears on me. he is a bit of a sensitive dude and gets animated and emotional in all the wrong spots. likely unpop opinion on this board

• 2 years later...

Just read that Wilt suffered a total rupture of his patellar tendon in the 9th game of the 1969 season, missed 70 games, got back four months later for the first round playoffs against the Suns, and averaged 23.7 ppg, 20.3 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 5.5 blocks per game on 54.9 field goal shooting. In the 7th game, Wilt had 30 points, 27 rebounds, 6 assists and 11 blocks on 61.1% field goal percentage. The opposing center, Jim Fox, had 7 points in the loss.  Again: 4 months after completely rupturing his patellar tendon.

Warrior.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

On 6/4/2021 at 3:14 PM, Speedway said:

I disagree with you, Olajuwon was better in every phase over O'Neal.  In 1995 O'Neal was in his prime and Olajuwon ate his lunch and refused to let Shaq even get supper in the NBA Finals; which of course Houston won in four straight without so much as a whimper from O'Neal.

May want to check the series stats.  Shaq in his third year vs Hakeem in his prime.  Hakeem outscored him but Shaq was his equal in every other stat. 

The all-time starting 5 is not really debatable: Magic, Jordan, LeBron, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain

2nd team considerations: Shaq, Oscar Robertson, Dream, Steph Curry, Kobe, Bird, Kareem

Theres always room to wonder if adding complementary players would elevate the team so guys like Rodman or Stockton would be in consideration, but I don’t buy that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

The all-time starting 5 is not really debatable: Magic, Jordan, LeBron, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain

2nd team considerations: Shaq, Oscar Robertson, Dream, Steph Curry, Kobe, Bird, Kareem

Theres always room to wonder if adding complementary players would elevate the team so guys like Rodman or Stockton would be in consideration, but I don’t buy that.

You need Curry or KD or Bird in that first team to make a real squad. There’s no shooting at all in that group.

Edited by hobbes2702

lebron starts at either the 3 or 4, meaning you could honestly make a very solid case for him to not even start. for me he’s never starting over bird at the 3, and if you want to start Timmy ahead of him that’s a totally valid position to take. that’s the thing about lebron- as transcendent as he is, he will never be a great shooter. if you’ve already got Magic and MJ in your starting five then LBJ’s skills/athleticism become redundant. he’s on my mount rushmore of basketball, but he’s not a lock for my starting five, if my goal is to build a functional, winning team, and not just make the five best players.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/4/2021 at 5:24 PM, immortal13 said:

Cherry picking

In 20 regular season matchups, Shaq has gotten the better of Hakeem, leading his teams to 14 wins and six losses. Shaq's numbers against Hakeem are also more impressive—he averaged 22.1 points on 54.4 percent shooting, 12.4 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 0.9 steals and 1.8 blocks.

In eight playoff matchups, Hakeem holds the edge in wins with a five- to three-game advantage. This includes when these two legendary centers met up in the 1995 NBA Finals, where Hakeem got the better of him in every contest, leading the Houston Rockets to a sweep of the Orlando Magic. Hakeem outscored Shaq 32.8 points per game to Shaq’s 28.0 points per game.

To Shaq’s credit, he was only in his third season while Hakeem was at the top of his game. The Lakers’ version of Shaq would’ve fared far better against Hakeem compared to the younger Magic version.

However, Shaq’s numbers over the course of their playoff duels are far superior. The Big Diesel put up 28.8 points on 55.6 percent shooting, 11.4 rebounds, 5.1 assists, 0.5 steals and 3.3 blocks. The Dream countered with a respectable but inferior 23.0 points on 46.5 percent shooting, 9.4 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.4 blocks.

LOL that is also cherry picking Shaq came into the league 8 years after Olajuwon so most of that was on the downslope.

Ask Shaq who the greatest opponent he ever faced and get back to us.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, immortal13 said:

Cherry picking

In 20 regular season matchups, Shaq has gotten the better of Hakeem, leading his teams to 14 wins and six losses. Shaq's numbers against Hakeem are also more impressive—he averaged 22.1 points on 54.4 percent shooting, 12.4 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 0.9 steals and 1.8 blocks.

In eight playoff matchups, Hakeem holds the edge in wins with a five- to three-game advantage. This includes when these two legendary centers met up in the 1995 NBA Finals, where Hakeem got the better of him in every contest, leading the Houston Rockets to a sweep of the Orlando Magic. Hakeem outscored Shaq 32.8 points per game to Shaq’s 28.0 points per game.

To Shaq’s credit, he was only in his third season while Hakeem was at the top of his game. The Lakers’ version of Shaq would’ve fared far better against Hakeem compared to the younger Magic version.

However, Shaq’s numbers over the course of their playoff duels are far superior. The Big Diesel put up 28.8 points on 55.6 percent shooting, 11.4 rebounds, 5.1 assists, 0.5 steals and 3.3 blocks. The Dream countered with a respectable but inferior 23.0 points on 46.5 percent shooting, 9.4 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.4 blocks.

Lol. Shaq averaged more assists than Dream?  

someone pull up Robinson vs dream career h2h

• 1 month later...