2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

Let's get this started with this little nugget.  Wow.  That's a ton of money and he'd need to recoup like 27/28m per over the next 2 season for this probably to work in his favor.  Interesting.  Maybe he's finally gonna go team up with Lebron?  Probably not if he wants this type of contract.  I don't see anyone giving him 100m over 3/4 years.  He's too old, but some organizations are dumb.

Its pretty wild that he would opt out after 4 yrs of it being a forgone conclusion that he was taking that 44M.   I'm sure he had a pretty good idea of what he will be able to get out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Paul is already 36, so you're talking about trusting a guy who will be 37 next playoff go around.  I'd probably pay up on a 2 year deal if I felt he was the missing piece to a championship, but I feel like there are like 3-4 teams only who fall in that bucket.  No way I'm going out more than 2 years and paying a dude like 30m in year 39.

Additionally, the teams where he's the missing piece probably don't have cap room so you're talking about a S&T for those numbers.  It eliminates the Lakers and Clippers unless Phoenix is just dumb and I can't see him going back to the Clippers.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Paul is already 36, so you're talking about trusting a guy who will be 37 next playoff go around.  I'd probably pay up on a 2 year deal if I felt he was the missing piece to a championship, but I feel like there are like 3-4 teams only who fall in that bucket.  No way I'm going out more than 2 years and paying a dude like 30m in year 39.

Additionally, the teams where he's the missing piece probably don't have cap room so you're talking about a S&T for those numbers.  It eliminates the Lakers and Clippers unless Phoenix is just dumb and I can't see him going back to the Clippers.

Agree with all of that, I just cannot see him opting out without a very good idea on how he will recoup that 44M

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, LeBron had been pretty indestructible over his career, then 2 years ago got injured and again this year.  I have trouble seeing CP3 not breaking down at some point in the next 3 years.

That's the thing. CP3 already breaks down every year. You already know what you're getting and he still wants you to pay for it. 

And I would imagine that he already has that 3 yr/ $100 million deal lined up with Phoenix. He seems like a good fit there and they have enough young guys where he should be able to load management over the next three years. I'm not that great on the cap and I haven't looked at Phoenix's numbers, but I would guess they could bring in another free agent this year (even though the free agent class sucks) if they renounced CP3's bird rights and signed him with cap room? Also, Phoenix hasn't been to the playoffs in 11 years and they are likely going to end up in the Western Conference Finals after dispatching the hated Lakers and Lebron. They have to be in full on sniff your own fart mode, especially with that dipshit Robert Sarver in charge. I don't think anybody else even makes sense unless he has zero desire to compete for a ring in the twilight of his career. Maybe a sign and trade with Miami? Where else but Phoenix would anybody think he has that kind of value at his age?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

miami miami has enough room if they decline all their options?

wonder if portland trades CJ in an effort to shake things up?

Stephen A was saying if the Clips flame out, Kawhi could end up bolting for South Beach.  How fucked would the Clips be?  KL forces them to trade their entire future away to land PG in order to get him to sign, and then he bolts on them leaving them fucked in perpetuity.

41 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Really had to.  It's sort of their only substantial move other than trading McCollum for something.  I guess Nurkic as he's in his last year; but the front office had to sacrifice Stotts because really..... they're not getting it done so need to scapegoat someone.  Portland traded away their 1st rounder for Covington so other than the aforementioned CJM trade, there's not really a ton they can do.  Move some secondary pieces around I guess but they're going to need to get creative to make a really impactful move.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Stephen A was saying if the Clips flame out, Kawhi could end up bolting for South Beach.  How fucked would the Clips be?  KL forces them to trade their entire future away to land PG in order to get him to sign, and then he bolts on them leaving them fucked in perpetuity.

Well... it’s the Clippers

• Like 2

I couldn't disagree more on Steve Clifford and he will get another head coaching job not because of the recycling bin, but because that dude is really good coach. He worked his way up from coaching high school to being a college assistant to college head coach to nba assistant to nba head coach. He's more than paid his dues and he's probably one of the better defensive minds in the game. 

He had one of the least talented teams in the league in Charlotte that won 28 games combined in the two years before he got there and took them to the playoffs. And then he did the same thing with a very flawed Orlando roster that hadn't been in the playoffs for 6 years. It's not his fault that they got hammered with injuries and then decided to go full rebuild halfway through their current rebuild.

He should be up for a job with a franchise that can win immediately. I don't think he got fired as much as he said "fuck this, I'm not in for this tank job. That's not what I signed up for." 

He'd be a great move for Portland. If there was ever a team that could benefit from a new defensive mentality, it would sure as shit be them.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 1

Portland is definitely the most interesting off season team to me. If they just try to run it back with a new coach and same roster I think they're a first round playoff exit again. The window on a full rebuild around Dame is closed too though. They don't really have many trade assets unless they can find a taker for McCollum. So they are looking at total rebuild and potentially moving one of the most beloved stars in franchise history or rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

• Hook 'Em 1

Despite what occurred last night, you have to think Luka probably really loves Dallas, Cuban seems like an owner who will cater to his superstar and he's on his first contract.  Not surprising he would max out on his 2nd.  No drama and Luka, who is maybe the best offensive player in the league the next 5 years, will be sticking with the Mavs.  Good for them, he's a stud.

Also this...... I think Dallas pays up and it'll probably be pretty costly.  

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

Tell me you dont wanna get better without actually saying you dont wanna get better.

Don't be too hasty. Maybe one of those guys will grow 4 inches between their sophomore and junior years!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 9:52 AM, Llogg said:

Portland is definitely the most interesting off season team to me. If they just try to run it back with a new coach and same roster I think they're a first round playoff exit again. The window on a full rebuild around Dame is closed too though. They don't really have many trade assets unless they can find a taker for McCollum. So they are looking at total rebuild and potentially moving one of the most beloved stars in franchise history or rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I feel this is Dallas as well. Both Dame and Lillard are surrounded by a subpar cast. Portland has at least moved on from their coach and wants a fresh voice. Something Dallas needs as well. 10 years of zero playoff series wins is enough and time to move on. You can bring up the excuses of talent level but we have finished year 3 of Luka and it's the same as the dwindling years of Dirk i.e. 1st round exits (some quicker than others). But to even go further, I would like a fresh set of eyes and voice for the GM. This isn't the Cowboys where the owner is the GM. Cuban can definitely move on from Donnie but I really doubt he does.

I just don't see a whole lot Dallas can do to compete in the West currently with their contract situations. If they run it back, they will have similar results. They might be able to get out of the 1st rd but that is about it. They are not going to realistically compete for a title. Of these 8 teams remaining, Dallas supporting cast outside of everyone's #1 guy is the worst. Especially in the West. 

38 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

LOL!!!!  Who fucking cares (not a bang on you Machinator)!!!  But honestly, fucking Lebron just does stupid shit.

He said he was doing this last yr.   Seems like yall should be mad at Shams for reporting it now and acting like its news

Edited by d2o

55 minutes ago, d2o said:

He said he was doing this last yr.   Seems like yall should be mad at Shams for reporting it now and acting like its news

Why tho?  I'm not a Lebron basher, far from it, but this is silly.  And Shams is my boy, so maybe I'll throw him some shade about this post.  lol.

EDIT:  BTW, I figured out why...... Space Jam 2.  

43 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

They owe him 73m (with PO), that's gonna be a huge buyout....... Kemba may want to follow the Jamaal Crawford arc, be the 6th man/instant offense guy who still plays close to 30 minutes a night.  I think that may be his most valuable role on a playoff contender.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Why tho?  I'm not a Lebron basher, far from it, but this is silly.  And Shams is my boy, so maybe I'll throw him some shade about this post.  lol.

They owe him 73m (with PO), that's gonna be a huge buyout....... Kemba may want to follow the Jamaal Crawford arc, be the 6th man/instant offense guy who still plays close to 30 minutes a night.  I think that may be his most valuable role on a playoff contender.

You know Shams?

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He was doing it originally so that AD could have 23.   I guess after have 3 for a couple yrs AD decided to stay with it.

Edited by d2o

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

That is a very interesting development. Lots of places he's be a better fit than Boston who needed him to be more. Miami, Dallas, Utah, LAL, maybe the bucks. Knicks and pelicans might be better with him but not sure they are a late career ring chasing destination.

37 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

would a Lonzo sign and trade net Kemba for the C's?

maybe something like?

Celtics get:
Lonzo

Pels get:
Kemba
Edwards
G.Williams 
1st Rounder
1st Round Swap

Why would the Pelican want Kemba?  He's owed almost 75m for 2 seasons.  Even if you give them your best assumed first rounder, there's not much there.  Those salaries don't work either unless there's a big exception for someone.  Kemba's trade value is probably negative so I would think Boston would either have to take a bad contract back or increase that offer for the Cans to swallow his contract, especially since they don't need him.

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

i'd rather them start around christmas and go through july.  july and august are the worst two sports months of the year and having the nba to help get through this july is awesome.

Totally agree with that part.  Two months of nothing but baseball.  That said, I don't like this condensed schedule they've had to run.    I dont know for sure but it sure seems like injuries were up this yr and the tightened schedule could be a factor.

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

Totally agree with that part.  Two months of nothing but baseball.  That said, I don't like this condensed schedule they've had to run.    I dont know for sure but it sure seems like injuries were up this yr and the tightened schedule could be a factor.

More load management as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i'd rather them start around christmas and go through july.  july and august are the worst two sports months of the year and having the nba to help get through this july is awesome.

Hell yes!  Totally agree, they need to stop playing against the NFL for 40% of the season.