2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

Depending on the severity of Kawhi's injury and/or if he bolts to Miami, what do you do with Paul George if you're the Clippers?  Do they trade him and blow it up for other players and draft picks to try to replace what they gave to Okie City?  Do they roll the dice with FA's?  That seems enough to keep them good but not great.  He's 31 at this point, too.

But Okie City.  Lulz.  Those draft picks may be better sooner than they thought.

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Depending on the severity of Kawhi's injury and/or if he bolts to Miami, what do you do with Paul George if you're the Clippers?  Do they trade him and blow it up for other players and draft picks to try to replace what they gave to Okie City?  Do they roll the dice with FA's?  That seems enough to keep them good but not great.  He's 31 at this point, too.

But Okie City.  Lulz.  Those draft picks may be better sooner than they thought.

I highly doubt Kawhi goes to Miami especially with an injury.  He's sort of stuck, IMO, if he has a serious knee injury.  But in the scenario where he decides to jump (yet again), it would have to be a S&T which means guys like Herro and Precious would most likely be asked for and then some vet to make the money work, so yes, you sell PG and rebuild.

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

50 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I highly doubt Kawhi goes to Miami especially with an injury.  He's sort of stuck, IMO, if he has a serious knee injury.  But in the scenario where he decides to jump (yet again), it would have to be a S&T which means guys like Herro and Precious would most likely be asked for and then some vet to make the money work, so yes, you sell PG and rebuild.

He's not leaving LA unless San Diego somehow lands a team. That was his whole deal on leaving SA and Toronto. He's not about rings. He gave up millions in guaranteed super max contract money to make it happen the first time. The dude just wanted to be at home and he does whatever his uncle tells him to do.  All of which was further cemented by the Clippers illegally setting up all of those endorsement deals for him, with his uncle raking in kickbacks. I suppose there is the off chance that somebody makes his uncle a better deal but I really don't see it happening.

He also has an option to become a free agent this summer and would be eligible for a four year / $175 million extension from the Clippers. He can also opt out, sign a one year deal and then be eligible for 5 year/ $246 million since they would then have his bird rights. The injury certainly complicates the calculus. I would bet that his uncle uses him to further enrich himself while selling Kawhi out and he takes the 4 year / $175 million.

Zion Williamson's Family Members Want To See Him On Another Team

JUN 17, 2021 11:48 AM

Williamson_Zion_nop_210121.jpg

Certain family members of Zion Williamson want to see him on another team, sources tell The Athletic. The New Orleans Pelicans have missed the playoffs in each of Williamson's first two seasons in the NBA and the team will have a third head coach three years.

Sources from around the league have "pointed to the Pelicans as a heap of dysfunction."

Williamson's family has expressed thinly veiled unhappiness with the Pelicans and there are questions whether those have become his own. Williamson's family members voiced displeasure with Stan Van Gundy, who they thought was too rigid and demanding as head coach. They also felt like the organization did not live up to the standard for a star like Williamson. 

Williamson remains focused on basketball and helping the Pelicans win next season.

Williamson was also irritated by the decision to trade J.J. Redick.

I have a really difficult time feeling bad for the Pelicans. While I do think Griffin needs more time and the SVG hire was stupid, they had CP3, AD and now Zion in succession and all of two trips out of the first round of the playoffs to show for it. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to luck into three talents like that in a row and still manage to consistently fuck it up so badly. They are the poster child for building a losing culture. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, d2o said:
Zion Williamson's Family Members Want To See Him On Another Team

JUN 17, 2021 11:48 AM

Williamson_Zion_nop_210121.jpg

Certain family members of Zion Williamson want to see him on another team, sources tell The Athletic. The New Orleans Pelicans have missed the playoffs in each of Williamson's first two seasons in the NBA and the team will have a third head coach three years.

Sources from around the league have "pointed to the Pelicans as a heap of dysfunction."

Williamson's family has expressed thinly veiled unhappiness with the Pelicans and there are questions whether those have become his own. Williamson's family members voiced displeasure with Stan Van Gundy, who they thought was too rigid and demanding as head coach. They also felt like the organization did not live up to the standard for a star like Williamson. 

Williamson remains focused on basketball and helping the Pelicans win next season.

Williamson was also irritated by the decision to trade J.J. Redick.

NBA really needs draft pick compensation outside of trades for losing these players. It’s the only way to keep any illusion of competitive balance. 

This is simply the normal posturing of a Superstar who wants to leave a small market before his rookie deal is over. 

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

NBA really needs draft pick compensation outside of trades for losing these players. It’s the only way to keep any illusion of competitive balance. 

This is simply the normal posturing of a Superstar who wants to leave a small market before his rookie deal is over. 

Or...................teams could................I dunno, manage themselves better 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Dallas is a dumpster fire.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Rank the Texas pro sports franchises (don't bring MLS into this) by dysfunction (or lack thereof): Mavs, Rockets, Spurs, Cowboys, Texans, Stars, Rangers, Astros

The Mavs still drafted Luka. I mean compared to the Texans they are a suite at the Four Seasons.

I'm going to go from worst to best because it's funnier that way:

Texans

Texans

Texans 

Rangers

Mavs 

Rockets (no idea wtf their plan is but their coach didn't just walk and they don't have KP on the books for a billion dollars)

Cowboys

Spurs

Astros

Stars (FO maybe not ideal but a year removed from a Cup run)

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If Okie City scores two great draft picks, they should offer a bunch of their future ones for Simmons and see if Philly bites.

Why in the world would OKC or any franchise pay valuable assets for Ben Simmons and his bloated contract?  Philly would (or should) take that deal in a heartbeat.

We've seen what Simmons is in the playoffs; 4 for 14 from the line last night in a game they lost by 3?  GTFO.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Why in the world would OKC or any franchise pay valuable assets for Ben Simmons and his bloated contract?  Philly would (or should) take that deal in a heartbeat.

We've seen what Simmons is in the playoffs; 4 for 14 from the line last night in a game they lost by 3?  GTFO.

That's a fair point.  Okie City isn't going to want that contract and Kim Kardashian ain't walking through that door.  However, if they get two good picks, they could take one of the wings in the draft and the big man from USC.  Simmons would do well at the 4 spot with that but not worth the $35M.

Philly really should have bailed on Simmons a few years ago at peak value.  They knew he had offensive problems but then again, they almost traded him for Harden.  

13 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Meh, he isn't a finished product and OKC wouldnt be competing for a title.   

The worst part of that OKC trade is that Presti is going to put Kemba on the shelf, let him heal up for a year, and then trade him again to a contender for more assets when his deal is about to expire.

This is the kind of shit the Spurs should be doing, instead they are going re-sign Demar Derozan's midrange shooting ass for a billion dollars and win 40 games a year until hell freezes over. FML.

• Rage+1 1

We were having a conversation about the worst contracts out there and good lord, there are a lot of them.  I thought Horford’s was bad considering his age and the length.  Then I saw KP’s with Dallas.  He’s injured that much and I didn’t realize he was only 25.  

What’s the worst one out there….?