2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

We were having a conversation about the worst contracts out there and good lord, there are a lot of them.  I thought Horford’s was bad considering his age and the length.  Then I saw KP’s with Dallas.  He’s injured that much and I didn’t realize he was only 25.  

What’s the worst one out there….?

D’Angelo Russell. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The worst part of that OKC trade is that Presti is going to put Kemba on the shelf, let him heal up for a year, and then trade him again to a contender for more assets when his deal is about to expire.

This is the kind of shit the Spurs should be doing, instead they are going re-sign Demar Derozan's midrange shooting ass for a billion dollars and win 40 games a year until hell freezes over. FML.

Every fan/GM talks about tanking but the Okie City tank is the mother of all tanks.  Their wins per year line is going to look like the stock market in March/April of 2020.

It'll be interesting to see how Presti plays his cards this time.  During the last iteration, he got his stars but with the supporting cast he got into guys that barely had basic offensive basketball skills.  My guess this time is he goes after two way players instead of a team full of shooting guards who can't shoot.  If just half of those picks turn out well, that's a helluva team.  My guess is they won't use anywhere close to all of the picks and they'll trade them away for players or to move up in certain drafts.  If they really want the #1 pick this year (Cunningham), they can get him if they want depending on what they'd give up.

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The worst part of that OKC trade is that Presti is going to put Kemba on the shelf, let him heal up for a year, and then trade him again to a contender for more assets when his deal is about to expire.

This is the kind of shit the Spurs should be doing, instead they are going re-sign Demar Derozan's midrange shooting ass for a billion dollars and win 40 games a year until hell freezes over. FML.

Exactly.  It's infuriating because they can't admit Tim Duncan was a once in a generation cornerstone for them.

Okie City gonna see if they can get more draft picks to take him.

If you're Philly, would you take Kemba Walker and a few picks for Simmons?  Sure, it's a risk but Walker's contract is a lot friendlier and he can play point.  Might depend what the draft picks are, too.

If you're Okie City, might depend on how their draft shakes out.  They have SGA, they get a good pick, and then add Simmons who would play the 4 for them.  Might work but me thinks Simmons ain't gonna like living in Okie City.  No Kardashians are walking through that door.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I really don't see how they get any better this off season.

As far as coaching search goes I don't see a problem with giving billups a shot. He might have fixed pg13's ten cent head.

I meant more about giving D'antoni a 2nd interview.   If he is a top candidate that tells me they have not recognized their most glaring issue.  Defense.

16 minutes ago, d2o said:

I meant more about giving D'antoni a 2nd interview.   If he is a top candidate that tells me they have not recognized their most glaring issue.  Defense.

Totally. Defense should get better with another year of RoCo and healthy tandem of Collins and Nurk. Still going to struggle with Dame and CJ needing to be on the floor together with both being below average and less than versatile defenders.

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Will Simmons even agree to not play PG on a new team?  No one is trading for him to be a full time PG.

I’m staying away from him.  Presti isn’t gonna take him on, after what Doc and Embiid said post game, without some kind of pick or something like that.  I hate the idea of him in OKC though.  I want the ball in SGA’s hands as much as possible. 

3 & D guys are all the rage in today's NBA especially among contenders. 

Obviously need at least 1-2 superstars then surround those guys with players that can space the floor and knock down outside shots and not be a complete sieve on defense. Guys that clog up the paint for no good reason are dinosaurs. 

1 guy that is an elite rim protector is alright but even that guy is not required. 

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

15 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

yes, this.  teams don't focus on this as much as they should.

It's really a difficult task with the current rules. Can't hand check to prevent them getting open. Can't be close to reaching out they get you on a rip through. Can't close out or they get you for invading landing space. Basically you can't play them right and if you play off you can't recover aggressively. 

I think the league is going to have to look at the rules around the rip through and enforcing illegal screen rules more tightly. Screener needs to be an absolute statue straight up and down. No lean, no elbows out, no sliding/shuffling.

Edited by Llogg
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

The NBA has passed guys like Ben Simmons by unless they are maybe the 4th highest paid guy on the roster. Not maxed out for 4 more years. It's a terrible contract.

At this point you have to wonder if Ben Simmons actually likes playing basketball, because he has essentially done nothing to get better at it since he showed up at LSU.

So with the results of the lottery last night, next year the Warriors should have Steph at the peak of powers, returning Klay, Draymond, Wiggins, Year 2 of Wiseman, and someone like Davion Mitchell (or package the latter 3 for a ready to play talent). I can’t wait to watch them play. Fingers crossed Klay can stay healthy.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Texas a&ms finest nabbed him as well

A spokesman for Texas A&M Police said officers were contacted by TSA agents at the airport after they found what they believed to be drug paraphernalia. The police department says the item located was a grinder with marijuana residue.

Busted him for a grinder with residue, lulz. Thank God that menace is now off the street!

• Hook 'Em 1

It will be interesting to see how the draft picks and free agents improve the various teams.

Detroit next year could be starting:  Cade Cunningham (20, 2021 #1 pick), Killian Hayes (20, 2020 #7 pick), Saddiq Bey (22, 1st team rookie), Jerami Grant (27, MIP candidate), Isaiah Stewart (20, 2nd team rookie).  Plus a handful of early 20s role players. They have the makings of an interesting team in a few years with that core.

Orlando could add Jonathan Kuminga (at #5) and Davion Mitchell (at #8) to jump start their rebuild, giving them two guards to add to their young bigs.