Tell me about UH

GhostofDanJones

Full thread transcribed:

(1/2) To give a little chronological context as to why I am no longer with the team, I want to take it back to how the season began. We started off the season on a primetime Sunday night vs. Oklahoma University. 

(2/2) After receiving a tick in the loss column, we would go on to play 4 games in 19 days. A schedule unprecedented. 
The motivating speech to get the labor force (players) through the gauntlet of the University of Houston’s attempt at capitalism? “Nobody watching is gonna care so we can’t care either!” One harsh truth of the nature of football. We would go on to hold a record of 1-3. 

Despite the record, we can all hope that the TV revenue produced in those four games was worth it. As for me at the age of 23 and 3 prior knee surgeries, it was the hardest thing as an athlete I’ve ever done. 

I at least hope my time as a 4 game starter warrants the only guaranteed compensation I have, a single semester full athletic scholarship valuing at $14,686.71.
EGjyawdXYAArV6N.png
The only other things I have left guaranteed as a result of my time in college football; a 4th and 5th knee surgery and undoubtedly a case of CTE. 

Following the fourth game on 9/19/19 I would be advised to receive an MRI in order to proceed with further injections into my right knee, an injury ridden joint starting back to my first year starting at Texas Tech. 

The MRI would reveal yet another torn medial meniscus and a torn and presumed “dead” ACL. An injury that if self-preservation is in mind, I would be advised by a doctor to medically retire. 

That Monday I learned that the Head Coach of the Houston Cougars football team had personally contacted several seniors and asked them if they would redshirt for the 2019 football season, in order to “develop” and come back in 2020. 

All seniors which greatly contributed to the little success we had done up to that point. Two of the seniors would go on to accept this invitation, including the preseason Heisman dark horse QB. 

My reaction can be summed up by a quote I said earlier in the season, “I call bullshit when I see it.” As a second time graduate transfer that was recruited to Houston on verbal confirmation that we intended to win now, Coach’s actions in a lot of way’s proved otherwise. 

But it’s like corporate tax evasion, it’s all within the rules and with the long-term success of the program in mind. 

I would continue to go to work that week, participating in the full speed contact practices in preparation of the game. However, that Friday I was told to remain off the plane and stay in Houston in order to “heal up mentally and physically.” 

Forcibly taking away one of the reasons why I came to this University in the first place. A suspension that came based on the logic that I was a distraction and not committed to the team. 

Coach left practice that day stating, “If you’re not 100% committed to the team then don’t get on the bus.” Ironic in light of recent events. 

As anyone who’s participated in sports knows, playing through an injury that can progressively get worse takes a certain level of motivation within himself/herself, and a level of commitment from the team in which he/she plays for. 

In my circumstances I could no longer meet that criteria. I decided to focus on self-preservation rather than the win and losses. A common theme in the history of the 2019-20 Houston Cougar Football season. 

Safe to say there was no love lost between myself and the ole’ head coach. Only reason I say this is because when I went to say my piece on the matter and to swallow my pride and thank him for this opportunity, I was met with a reaction I did not expect. 

Holgorsen sat at a desk, eyes glued to a monitor and replied with 13 words. “I don’t have time to talk, I only have time to coach.” and “O.K.” As if I didn’t deserve an eye to eye farewell or a proper handshake. 

As a person that is guaranteed a non-salary compensation of S3.4 million to go along with a $300,000 base salary for the 2019 year, one might think you’d have a better outlook on the players that contribute to your compensation. I mean this is a team sport, right? 

As officially only a student, I plan to complete my goal of earning a Master’s in Global Retailing. A goal that I’m positive the administration and the coaches here at the University of Houston share with me. 

To my teammates that I played with up to this point. Thank you. It’s the people in the locker room that makes the shit not seem so shitty. 

As a letterman and soon to be alumni of this University, I honestly wish this program the best of luck moving forward. And thank you to the fan base, which are the pillars in which athletic programs stand on. 

One might look at my collegiate athletic career as a series of unfortunate events, but if a long football career has taught me one thing it’s you can only control the things you can control. So what? Now what? 

Thank you Houston and God bless. #GoCoogs 
Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Soooooo... houston fired a guy who was winning 8-9 games a year for a guy who is going to likely win 3-4 games this year... while paying him double of what the last guy got?

pathetic

Literally everyone we tailgated with at WVU was talking about switching "a drunk with a coke habit" for a "church-y kind of guy" to paraphrase. I'm sure moving to Houston will be great for all that.

That said, if it works out, Dana's a genius for leveraging his unfireable Year One for a big year two.

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Literally everyone we tailgated with at WVU was talking about switching "a drunk with a coke habit" for a "church-y kind of guy" to paraphrase. I'm sure moving to Houston will be great for all that.  That said, if it works out, Dana's a genius for leveraging his unfireable Year One for a big year two.

Sounds like all Fertitta has to do to get rid of Holgy is hire a private detective to follow Dana for a few days...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Holgo gets salty when asked about offensive staff changes

By Zach Barnett -

February 18, 2020

Despite a plethora of hype, Dana Holgorsen’s debut season at Houston was the opposite of a success. A program that fired Major Applewhite for the sin of going 8-5, picked neck-and-neck with Memphis to compete for the American’s West Division title, finished 4-8 in 2019. Amid a season of forgettable football, the most memorable moment came when quarterback D’Eriq King and wide receiver Keith Corbin announced they would redshirt after the Cougars got off to a 1-3 start, bringing about accusations that Houston was attempting to become college football’s first program to tank.

So, yeah.

But Houston has turned the page to 2020. King has transferred to Miami, and Holgorsen has adjusted his staff by promoting Shannon Dawson from tight ends coach to offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach — Dawson previously held the same role at Kentucky, Southern Miss and under Holgorsen at West Virginia — while demoting Marquel Blackwell from Co-OC/QBs to running backs coach.

“It was clear to me that he was the most knowledgeable guy in the room, and so the most knowledgeable guy in the room is going to coach the quarterbacks,” Holgorsen said of Dawson. “He was the one that I listened to last year, he was the one upstairs calling the majority of the plays, he’s the guy that helped me game plan the most. That was an easy move.”

Holgorsen then praised Blackwell’s work with the running backs — he called him the best he’s ever seen at that position — while getting a bit salty at the line of questioning.

“Moving things around to make us better, you can question me all you want to,” he said, in a since-deleted video by Houston Chronicle beat writer Joseph Duarte. “But moving things around to make us better is what my job is and I’m going to do my job every day regardless of if you agree with it or not.”

As the head coach, Holgorsen could have said he made a mistake by not having his coaches in the best position to make the team as successful as possible… but Holgorsen chose a different route.

Regardless, 2020 will likely be a better season for Houston than 2019.

https://footballscoop.com/news/holgo-gets-salty-when-asked-about-offensive-staff-changes/

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

😂😂😂

Tulsa-Houston football game postponed due to coronavirus

Nov 24, 2020.   Sam Khan Jr.ESPN Staff Writer

Because of COVID-19 issues within its football program, Houston has postponed its upcoming game against No. 24 Tulsa, the team announced Tuesday.  It will be the second straight game that Houston has had to postpone. Its Week 12 contest against SMU was also postponed.

The Tulsa game, originally scheduled for Saturday, will be played on Dec. 19 if neither team is a participant in the American Athletic Conference championship game, which is scheduled for the same day.  The Golden Hurricane (5-1, 5-0 AAC) are currently one of two undefeated teams in the AAC, leaving them in prime position for one of the title game spots. No. 7 Cincinnati (8-0, 6-0) is the current conference leader.

Houston (3-3, 3-2) has not been eliminated from title game contention as of yet.  This marks the sixth time since the season began that the Cougars have had a game canceled or moved because of coronavirus issues. The Cougars lost their entire slate of September games because of coronavirus concerns with four different opponents.

All three of Houston's remaining games (vs. SMU on Dec. 5, Memphis on Dec. 12 and Tulsa on Dec. 19) are all the result of virus-related postponements.

This is the seventh schedule disruption for Tulsa, a team that is also in contention for a New Year's Six berth. The Golden Hurricane have had four games postponed and three games canceled.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/18/2021 at 2:59 PM, ButtFumble said:

https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/mclennan-county/former-uh-football-player-arrested-for-shooting-that-left-two-dead-at-mart-residence

not making good choices in Mart

but hey one less person competing for transfer portal spots at LB

I played beer league softball for years with the dad of one of the young men who was murdered.  I'm sick to my stomach for him.  

On 10/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, Machinator said:
Full thread transcribed:

(1/2) To give a little chronological context as to why I am no longer with the team, I want to take it back to how the season began. We started off the season on a primetime Sunday night vs. Oklahoma University. 

(2/2) After receiving a tick in the loss column, we would go on to play 4 games in 19 days. A schedule unprecedented. 
The motivating speech to get the labor force (players) through the gauntlet of the University of Houston’s attempt at capitalism? “Nobody watching is gonna care so we can’t care either!” One harsh truth of the nature of football. We would go on to hold a record of 1-3. 

Despite the record, we can all hope that the TV revenue produced in those four games was worth it. As for me at the age of 23 and 3 prior knee surgeries, it was the hardest thing as an athlete I’ve ever done. 

I at least hope my time as a 4 game starter warrants the only guaranteed compensation I have, a single semester full athletic scholarship valuing at $14,686.71.
EGjyawdXYAArV6N.png
The only other things I have left guaranteed as a result of my time in college football; a 4th and 5th knee surgery and undoubtedly a case of CTE. 

Following the fourth game on 9/19/19 I would be advised to receive an MRI in order to proceed with further injections into my right knee, an injury ridden joint starting back to my first year starting at Texas Tech. 

The MRI would reveal yet another torn medial meniscus and a torn and presumed “dead” ACL. An injury that if self-preservation is in mind, I would be advised by a doctor to medically retire. 

That Monday I learned that the Head Coach of the Houston Cougars football team had personally contacted several seniors and asked them if they would redshirt for the 2019 football season, in order to “develop” and come back in 2020. 

All seniors which greatly contributed to the little success we had done up to that point. Two of the seniors would go on to accept this invitation, including the preseason Heisman dark horse QB. 

My reaction can be summed up by a quote I said earlier in the season, “I call bullshit when I see it.” As a second time graduate transfer that was recruited to Houston on verbal confirmation that we intended to win now, Coach’s actions in a lot of way’s proved otherwise. 

But it’s like corporate tax evasion, it’s all within the rules and with the long-term success of the program in mind. 

I would continue to go to work that week, participating in the full speed contact practices in preparation of the game. However, that Friday I was told to remain off the plane and stay in Houston in order to “heal up mentally and physically.” 

Forcibly taking away one of the reasons why I came to this University in the first place. A suspension that came based on the logic that I was a distraction and not committed to the team. 

Coach left practice that day stating, “If you’re not 100% committed to the team then don’t get on the bus.” Ironic in light of recent events. 

As anyone who’s participated in sports knows, playing through an injury that can progressively get worse takes a certain level of motivation within himself/herself, and a level of commitment from the team in which he/she plays for. 

In my circumstances I could no longer meet that criteria. I decided to focus on self-preservation rather than the win and losses. A common theme in the history of the 2019-20 Houston Cougar Football season. 

Safe to say there was no love lost between myself and the ole’ head coach. Only reason I say this is because when I went to say my piece on the matter and to swallow my pride and thank him for this opportunity, I was met with a reaction I did not expect. 

Holgorsen sat at a desk, eyes glued to a monitor and replied with 13 words. “I don’t have time to talk, I only have time to coach.” and “O.K.” As if I didn’t deserve an eye to eye farewell or a proper handshake. 

As a person that is guaranteed a non-salary compensation of S3.4 million to go along with a $300,000 base salary for the 2019 year, one might think you’d have a better outlook on the players that contribute to your compensation. I mean this is a team sport, right? 

As officially only a student, I plan to complete my goal of earning a Master’s in Global Retailing. A goal that I’m positive the administration and the coaches here at the University of Houston share with me. 

To my teammates that I played with up to this point. Thank you. It’s the people in the locker room that makes the shit not seem so shitty. 

As a letterman and soon to be alumni of this University, I honestly wish this program the best of luck moving forward. And thank you to the fan base, which are the pillars in which athletic programs stand on. 

One might look at my collegiate athletic career as a series of unfortunate events, but if a long football career has taught me one thing it’s you can only control the things you can control. So what? Now what? 

Thank you Houston and God bless. #GoCoogs 

Just catching up and reading this. God bless you Holgo, hating UH takes guts when you work there.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:44 AM, Hank Chinaski said:

When I was a kid in the 80s, they played their home games at the Astrodome. Their Jack Pardee years and that sleazy looking dude that followed him were pretty fun with Andre Ware and Klingler. (Little did I know back then that Ware would become an insufferable SEC/aggy honk.) Actually I liked that short squatty RB they had, Chuck Witherspoon. Unfortuantely they used to kick Texas' ass until the '90 game. 

The Phi Slamma Jamma era was awesome - I was about 7-8 during those years and those guys were the Fab 5 before the Fab 5. 

Anyway, they were the last school to enter the SWC. As a kid growing up in Houston, it was cool to have them as conference mates with Texas and the others, although I went to way more Rice games than UH games. 

I was at that 1990 game with my wife and parents. Everyone in the stadium except a few Houston fans and the Houston players and coaches was yelling for blood - an absolute massacre. Personally, I was hoping for decapitation of some Houston players. They thought they were God's Gift to sports across the globe. We had put up with so much cheap ass bragging, cheating, and ghetto strutting from those no standard fucks for several years that we were all ready for blood. We got it. 

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I played beer league softball for years with the dad of one of the young men who was murdered.  I'm sick to my stomach for him.  

that sucks I am sorry to hear that

it appears they were teammates in Mart in high school......just makes it seem all the more fucked up

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

NSIAP. Couldn't find it anywhere & didn't know where else to put it, so ...

LOL. Look who suddenly grew something between his legs. So much big, tough talk from schools we've owned forever and will rarely if ever have to face us again after this year. Fuck these assholes.  We need to mudhole these fucks to Bolivian.

Texas going to the SEC? Good riddance, says UH's Dana Holgorsen

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/dana-holgorsen-houston-texas-aggies-sec-big-12-18337422.php

“You can have that opinion about Texas and Texas A&M if you want to, but they are the reasons we weren’t in the Big 12,” Holgorsen said. “Those two are the specific reasons why we haven’t been in the Big 12 the last 28 years. Screw them. They can go wherever they want. They don’t want us, and we don’t want them. So move on.”

8 hours ago, wood said:

NSIAP. Couldn't find it anywhere & didn't know where else to put it, so ...

LOL. Look who suddenly grew something between his legs. So much big, tough talk from schools we've owned forever and will rarely if ever have to face us again after this year. Fuck these assholes.  We need to mudhole these fucks to Bolivian.

Texas going to the SEC? Good riddance, says UH's Dana Holgorsen

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/dana-holgorsen-houston-texas-aggies-sec-big-12-18337422.php

and the only reason UH is in the Big 12 now is because Texas left.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't want to hear anything about that garbage school. Don't tell me about their dumpster of a stadium. Don't tell me about their 5th choice student body. Don't tell me about the literal ghetto the school is located in. Don't tell me about the loser fans they have on this board like Iconoclast Texan. Don't tell me about their sweaty, stupid head coach. Just don't tell me anything about them.

• Haha 1