Peanut Butter

Royalfan5

While I like the stuff, and eat it on many things, including burgers and love a good peanut butter milkshake, I have absolutely no brand or type preference and generally just buy whatever is at eye level in the store. Is there any real reason with it too have a favorite or a style that’s above the rest?

There are some that definitely have a bit more of an artificial taste than others and obviously some people from a texture standpoint would either never do either chunky or creamy.  That said texture aside I find once you start mixing it with several other things taste itself isn't as important but if you are just going to finger it straight out of the jar or put it on something bland like a stick of celery that some kind of suck taste wise in those settings.  

30 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

While I like the stuff, and eat it on many things, including burgers and love a good peanut butter milkshake, I have absolutely no brand or type preference and generally just buy whatever is at eye level in the store. Is there any real reason with it too have a favorite or a style that’s above the rest?

image.gif.123e23642e226c37bfbc30e0aefe2514.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My tastes have changed over the years.  I've gone from preferring the sweetened national brands to those with peanuts as the only ingredient.  I normally get the chunky Central Market variety, and add salt to taste.  Whatever I pair it with (grape jelly, banana, apple, etc.) has enough sweetness without needing sugar in the peanut butter itself.   

I like almost all of it. Chunky/ creamy/ natural/ freshly ground whatever.   Waffles/ sammiches/ in desserts/ with celery. Bring it the fuck on.

Howevah... had a person tell me about a meal his 20 year old nephew invited him over to the house and they had peanut butter soup.  It wasn't Thai or West African, as they do lots of good savory dishes with peanut sauces.  It was basically minestrone with PB in it. 
No fucking thank you!

Edited by slorch

I usually have a pb&j for lunch m-f. I've gone through the fancier brands, all good. I don't like having to mix the oil and butter, especially a new, full jar. After trial and error, for my likes, JIF creamy with honey. 

I like peanut butter. I don't eat a lot of it because it's filling AF, great food for the poors. One of my favorite lowish carb snacks (I always look for the brand with the least sugar, and it usually tastes the best) is pecans dipped in peanut butter. But it's a lot of calories, so I quit doing that.

I like peanut butter cups, but tend to not like a lot of peanut butter hybrid/combo/flavored things. I don't like peanut butter cookies or peanut butter ice cream, stuff like that. It can be kinda gross.

On 6/5/2021 at 2:48 PM, futureman said:

df0f7992-c2ff-44b1-9659-4140d1eda4dd.890

this is my favorite of the mass-produced options. no hydrogenated oils, no sugar. salty taste. delicious.

it’s available at HEB. 

I used to think, like peanut butter, all mayo was about the same. Then I found Dukes (you might have even put me into it) and it changed the mayo game completely. Is this the Dukes of peanut butter? Or is there such a thing?

19 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I used to think, like peanut butter, all mayo was about the same. Then I found Dukes (you might have even put me into it) and it changed the mayo game completely. Is this the Dukes of peanut butter? Or is there such a thing?

I definitely enjoy it. you should give it a shot. 

I have a buddy who claims to be a peanut butter expert. He eats half a jar at a sitting - I've seen him do it. Claims Trader Joes is the bomb. Peanuts and salt. Yeah, you gotta stir it. Big deal - Surly right hands are pretty toned already, amirite? 

On 6/6/2021 at 6:18 PM, Message Board User said:

Nah, the only way to get Ohio people to eat peanut butter is so cover it in chocolate.

Related, how great would it be if PB was in another container. That last 1/4 of a jar where you end up with PB on everywhere but the knife while you chase a glob around in circles is just the worst.

On 6/5/2021 at 3:47 PM, Dewey said:

I usually have a pb&j for lunch m-f. I've gone through the fancier brands, all good. I don't like having to mix the oil and butter, especially a new, full jar. After trial and error, for my likes, JIF creamy with honey. 

Storing the jar upside down in the pantry tends to help with the oils rising.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Favorite: JIF Creamy

Go to "snack" PB: Skippy individual squeeze packs. I like just refrigerated and eat plain straight from pack

2021-06-08_15-25-24.png.0d2d5f2ac8caacae38c1217ce8a0e084.png

Don't have much late night snack:  Graham crackers, peanut butter, top with variety (what you got on hand) chocolate chips

27 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Jif Squeeze Creamy Peanut Butter Spread, 13 Ounces

Game Changer

Good god man…what rock have I been living under?

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Similarly game changing is the same setup from daisy sour cream 

Exact same packaging as the sour cream and yes, we use that one as well.  Very easy and clean to lay down a bead of viscous fluid. 

Edited by CycleTex87
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have a buddy who claims to be a peanut butter expert. He eats half a jar at a sitting - I've seen him do it. Claims Trader Joes is the bomb. Peanuts and salt. Yeah, you gotta stir it. Big deal - Surly right hands are pretty toned already, amirite? 

The organic or regular version?

On 6/5/2021 at 1:31 PM, TheUofTexas said:

I don't really have a brand preference. But I'll typically go to HEB and get the PB that you can grind there

Their fresh-ground honey roasted PB is one of my weaknesses; that stuff is so damn good.  Makes incredible PB toast, PB&Js, or eaten straight out of the tub with a spoon.  Sometimes I'll mix 1:1 with the almond butter.

• 1 year later...

This stuff is so shockingly good. $9. No sugar. Just coffee infused with finely ground single source beans. Straight outta Brooklyn. It's the combo you didn't know you need.  https://brooklynroasting.com/shop/coffee-peanut-butter/

Creamy, fresh roasted peanuts simply mixed with just the right amount of fresh roasted Turkish ground single-origin coffees. Enough to make your eyeballs roll in two different directions. So delicious. Almost absolutely everyone who has these loves them.

Perfect on fruit wedges, in smoothies, on toast, waffles, or straight from the spoon. The characters of these unique coffees really shine through.

• Sumatra Ketiara Peanut Butter: Rich, creamy, nutty, roasty, packed with Sumatran coffee character
  • Ethiopian Natural Peanut Butter: creamy, globulous, fresh roasted peanuts perfectly paired with blueberry-tinged Ethiopian natural processed coffee.

•  

image.png.3814b8a74f671f72e2ca5e3ba7c0a3ee.png

Coffee Peanut Butters - Brooklyn Roasting Company