Covered Patio Contractor

On 6/5/2021 at 3:07 PM, Dahobbs said:

We used Texas Custom Patios. I posted pictures in an older patio thread somewhere. We are in Houston, but I understand them to do business state wide. 

I have an ongoing project with them right now in Dallas.  They were impressive with pre-contract designs and the actual work by the subs has been great but the overall project itself has been an absolute beating.  It was supposed to be a March or April (at latest) completion and we still aren't done and won't be for a while.  Part of the issues have been labor and materials constraints everyone is dealing with so some delays were unavoidable, but I'll never be convinced that overall project management hasn't sucked.  And my bigger issue is there has been major problems with communication and attention to details on TCP's side.  For example, I had discussed with my designer that we would finalize location of outdoor kitchen components at construction but then workers show up one day I wasn't available (and nobody reached out) and by the time I realize what's going on the kitchen is built.  I don't "hate" the component placement, and possibly could have been talked into it, but there was zero communication.  That is symbolic of the entire project and there have been some mistakes that have to be fixed that are further delaying completion that simple communication would have avoided.  I certainly expected more from TCP considering their reputation and pricing.  They are probably great most of the time but I think they just took on way too many projects and can't effectively manage them all after adding in labor and supply issues.   And no way I have their best project manager.  I'm pretty sure they all hate me right now as I've made my frustrations known.

But for Dallas area, I definitely regret not going with my 2nd choice (MRZ Contracting).   I was on the fence but frankly thought TCP had more resources and would be able to finish the job quicker.  MRZ is a smaller shop.  I may have still had delay issues but I have zero doubt I would not have faced other numerous problems.   So sorry to hijack the thread but anyone considering TCP in Dallas feel free to PM me about my experience and things I would have done differently.

Also, OP, one other thing you may want to consider is if you go with someone fixed pricing (which you should) it might be best to delay until material pricing reverts back to the mean.  I signed my contract with TCP back in October and have no doubt they aren't realizing their expected profit.  It might be the worst time possible to get bids.  If you aren't in a hurry you might consider waiting 6-9 months and see if supply/demand issues get sorted out.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I have an ongoing project with them right now in Dallas.  They were impressive with pre-contract designs and the actual work by the subs has been great but the overall project itself has been an absolute beating.  It was supposed to be a March or April (at latest) completion and we still aren't done and won't be for a while.  Part of the issues have been labor and materials constraints everyone is dealing with so some delays were unavoidable, but I'll never be convinced that overall project management hasn't sucked.  And my bigger issue is there has been major problems with communication and attention to details on TCP's side.  For example, I had discussed with my designer that we would finalize location of outdoor kitchen components at construction but then workers show up one day I wasn't available (and nobody reached out) and by the time I realize what's going on the kitchen is built.  I don't "hate" the component placement, and possibly could have been talked into it, but there was zero communication.  That is symbolic of the entire project and there have been some mistakes that have to be fixed that are further delaying completion that simple communication would have avoided.  I certainly expected more from TCP considering their reputation and pricing.  They are probably great most of the time but I think they just took on way too many projects and can't effectively manage them all after adding in labor and supply issues.   And no way I have their best project manager.  I'm pretty sure they all hate me right now as I've made my frustrations known.

But for Dallas area, I definitely regret not going with my 2nd choice (MRZ Contracting).   I was on the fence but frankly thought TCP had more resources and would be able to finish the job quicker.  MRZ is a smaller shop.  I may have still had delay issues but I have zero doubt I would not have faced other numerous problems.   So sorry to hijack the thread but anyone considering TCP in Dallas feel free to PM me about my experience and things I would have done differently.

Also, OP, one other thing you may want to consider is if you go with someone fixed pricing (which you should) it might be best to delay until material pricing reverts back to the mean.  I signed my contract with TCP back in October and have no doubt they aren't realizing their expected profit.  It might be the worst time possible to get bids.  If you aren't in a hurry you might consider waiting 6-9 months and see if supply/demand issues get sorted out.

That sucks man, I'm sorry. I figure contractors are always hit or miss. I've had a pool under contract since October and have nothing done yet basically. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That sucks man, I'm sorry. I figure contractors are always hit or miss. I've had a pool under contract since October and have nothing done yet basically. 

When you did your project did you work with the same person from the design phase through the project?  From what I gather the "designer" handing it off to a "project manager" is a relatively new model for them (as they got too busy) and I think it's inherently flawed unless it is drilled into the project manager they should talk through every phase of the project with the owner as they inherently can't be aware of the details discussed (and left open) during the design phase.  But they are so busy my manager is virtually never on site.  I got to the point where I demand to know when a sub is scheduled and make sure I work from home that day so I can talk to the subs directly to try to avoid more problems.

Also, I'll say I've read the pool thread and fully aware what a shit show that is.  The patio industry isn't THAT bad but it's certainly not "normal times' for them as I gather they have been slammed since around this time last year as well, so this is a timely thread to make sure anyone considering is aware.  

Just now, Skipper said:

When you did your project did you work with the same person from the design phase through the project?  From what I gather the "designer" handing it off to a "project manager" is a relatively new model for them (as they got too busy) and I think it's inherently flawed unless it is drilled into the project manager they should talk through every phase of the project with the owner as they inherently can't be aware of the details discussed (and left open) during the design phase.  But they are so busy my manager is virtually never on site.  I got to the point where I demand to know when a sub is scheduled and make sure I work from home that day so I can talk to the subs directly to try to avoid more problems.

Yeah, I had the same person all the way through, Rob Douglas (founder) out in Houston.