2021 transfer RB Keilan Robinson

Getafix

1 hour ago, Askew said:

Absolutely huge. 

Could easily be our RB2 and add a consistent explosive element our offense lacks. Good. 

If Roschon keeps his spot, KR will push him, raise the level of competition, and still add a change of pace back. Great.

No longer have to hold our breath that Watson or Young might have to play. Strong 3-man rotation. Amazing. 

He’s an absolute necessity if youre going to have Ro and Bijan on the field at the same time 

• immamac changed the title to 2021 Transfer (Alabama) RB Keilan Robinson
This is greatness. We're finally getting the pieces together to actually beat TCU and Iowa State. Perfect. 
Aim high young man, skies the limit!

And yes, I too hate that what you said isn't an absurdly low bar.
  • Haha 1

Diamond with Rojo, Robinson, and Robinson, with 2 of 3 of Whitington, Wiley and Big O….

Put in Wiley and Big O for some funky goal line or short yardage plays. Spread the back out a bit wider plus and use Whit on jet sweep looks with Big O then 1 on 1 on the outside…

Having a second freak athlete to mix into the playbook it’s Bijan on the field will cause D coordinators fits because there will be plenty of speed to account for laterally plus you still need to try and be disciplined  regarding Bijan…

• Hook 'Em 1

This is truly a huge pick up. I fully expect him to make an immediate impact. Bijan, Keilan, and Rojo are gonna make defenses work for their money, and gives Casey much needed help. Split him with Whittington, with Bijan in the backfield. It's a nice problem to have. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I did not expect this.  His speed’s gonna be a back breaker after defenses get sucking wind from trying to tackle Bijan and Johnson. 
Anyone know why he wanted to leave Bama?  Was he expected to be short on carries due to their depth?  Seems like with his speed he has a shit ton of upside but their roster is probably lousy with 4.4 guys. 

7 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I did not expect this.  His speed’s gonna be a back breaker after defenses get sucking wind from trying to tackle Bijan and Johnson. 
Anyone know why he wanted to leave Bama?  Was he expected to be short on carries due to their depth?  Seems like with his speed he has a shit ton of upside but their roster is probably lousy with 4.4 guys. 

My guy, he may very well beats out ROJO for backup spot. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

8 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Had a good true freshman year, sat out last season due to covid like many others did, and when he came back he was behind a bunch of guys and they started splitting his time at between RB and slot 

• Hook 'Em 2

We have made some pretty significant upgrades on offense. I think we will be a lot more explosive than we were in the spring. Worthy has to be able to step up, though, for that to happen. With Worthy, Smith, and Whittington and Robinson (if he is plays some slot), we need at least 2 to consistently show up. Then, we need an outside guy to play worth a damn and we should be good to go.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

We have made some pretty significant upgrades on offense. I think we will be a lot more explosive than we were in the spring. Worthy has to be able to step up, though, for that to happen. With Worthy, Smith, and Whittington and Robinson (if he is plays some slot), we need at least 2 to consistently show up. Then, we need an outside guy to play worth a damn and we should be good to go.

I don't think Smith will be much of a factor. 

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think Smith will be much of a factor. 

You may be right, but he has the talent. So with a new coach who can scheme people open, he may be a different guy. Plus, Herman was kind of a dick as was Mehringer. With a new head coach, he may get excited about football once again. Think about when you were playing - I had a coach who wouldn't play guys shorter than 6' at corner. So until that guy left, I just went through the motions and then switched to wr. Some guys can thrive with a change of scenery.

Edited by Bevo

It's so refreshing knowing that we're going to be multiple on offense. Don't know if Sarkisian has said anything about operating out of a certain, base package (think he said it'll vary week to week which is music to everyone's ears.) But it seems like no one knows what the fuck to expect other than RPO.

Looking at the schedule, me thinks Patterson will be sweating more than he normally is come the first Saturday in October. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Smith has become the most underrated guy on the team. He has nine TDs in 15 career games.

Like a bunch of other guys, we thought it would be a great idea to bulk him up and take away his explosiveness. Hopefully he's about 15 lbs lighter. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

but but...someone said our RB room was fine cause we had Daniel Young and Gabriel Watson????????? All gas, zero mother fucking brakes

They weren't wrong. But, as you said "All gas, zero mother fucking brakes". Every time this crew gets a chance to upgrade, they will take it. And I am not sure he is all rb anyway. If we can get a solid slot guy, it allows some of the other guys to move outside. All of a sudden, you have much more explosion on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Diamond with Rojo, Robinson, and Robinson, with 2 of 3 of Whitington, Wiley and Big O….

Put in Wiley and Big O for some funky goal line or short yardage plays. Spread the back out a bit wider plus and use Whit on jet sweep looks with Big O then 1 on 1 on the outside…

Having a second freak athlete to mix into the playbook it’s Bijan on the field will cause D coordinators fits because there will be plenty of speed to account for laterally plus you still need to try and be disciplined  regarding Bijan…

Think you’re missing someone named sanders. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

It's so refreshing knowing that we're going to be multiple on offense. Don't know if Sarkisian has said anything about operating out of a certain, base package (think he said it'll vary week to week which is music to everyone's ears.) But it seems like no one knows what the fuck to expect other than RPO.

Looking at the schedule, me thinks Patterson will be sweating more than he normally is come the first Saturday in October. 

Traditionally he runs a lot of 11 and 12 and not much 2 back stuff at all. I’m sure he will still run a lot of 11 and 12, but we may see some more 2 back stuff now that we added Robinson. I hope we do. It would be a good sign he’s willing to fit his scheme to the talent on hand. 

11 hours ago, ApocalypseTexas said:

Remember when we had Selvin Young and Jamal Charles on the field running the ball.  V. Young gets all the credit but those backs were effective.  We could be building to that type of backfield 

I also remember them both getting hurt and Ramonce Taylor putting up 100 yard games late in the season, and ended up tied with Vince for most rushing TDs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Traditionally he runs a lot of 11 and 12 and not much 2 back stuff at all. I’m sure he will still run a lot of 11 and 12, but we may see some more 2 back stuff now that we added Robinson. I hope we do. It would be a good sign he’s willing to fit his scheme to the talent on hand. 

I mean... we kinda have to. RBs- check, TEs- check. WRs? Under further review (talent is there tho.) 

Maybe just being overly optimistic but my hopes are finally having a coaching staff that a) actually coaches and develops and b) making scheme fit to personnel on hand, not the other way around. 

26 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I mean... we kinda have to. RBs- check, TEs- check. WRs? Under further review (talent is there tho.) 

Maybe just being overly optimistic but my hopes are finally having a coaching staff that a) actually coaches and develops and b) making scheme fit to personnel on hand, not the other way around. 

Maybe. We just don’t know with Sark. I think people are overestimating our issues at WR, but there’s no doubt RB is our best position.

Sark hasn’t been all that scheme flexible in the past, but he’s also had a lot of loaded rosters so he hasn’t needed to change things up.

I think he was a little too stubborn about his preferred formations in Atlanta. He had Coleman and Freeman but almost never played them together and opted for a lot of 11 and 12 personnel. He played a second TE/H-back on over half their snaps, even though they were JAGs. 
He didn’t have to change his normal offense at Bama because they were stacked across the board, so it’s still an open question about how much he’ll use stuff like two back sets or adapt his normal offense to the personnel on hand. 

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Maybe. We just don’t know with Sark. I think people are overestimating our issues at WR, but there’s no doubt RB is our best position.

When Sark said stuff about the WR rooom, I kind of brushed it off. But after seeing the Spring game, even though the offense was watered down, I came away unimpressed. We have got to get more speed on the field and we have got to make the easy catches. I think Robinson and Worthy and Smith will completely change the dynamics or at least I hope they do.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Machinator said:

Gerry:

Hide contents

Watched Keilan in person in HS... he came out of St. John’s CH as a less physical version of Kendall Hunter. Talking about a guy that rolls out of bed and runs 4.45 on a laser timer. Every step has the bouncy burst and acceleration.

4.45 on a laser timer huh...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2021 at 6:55 PM, Machinator said:

Not saying that he is as fast, but…

This kid runs & cuts in a similar way to a running back out of Pittsburgh who played in the late ‘70s through the mid-‘80s for the Dallas Cowboys. 

He keeps his shoulders heading downfield as he jumps in and out of cuts and has some nice speed. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Not saying that he is as fast, but…

This kid runs & cuts in a similar way to a running back out of Pittsburgh who played in the late ‘70s through the mid-‘80s for the Dallas Cowboys. 

He keeps his shoulders heading downfield as he jumps in and out of cuts and has some nice speed. 

Yeah, I can see the similarities. Boy, was that guy fun to watch!

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 5:40 PM, Tex-19 said:

But he has three years remaining right? 

At the very least, I like the depth he brings and Sark could have some specific plays to take advantage of his speed. Need at least 2 good RBs at all times so if Bijan or RoJo go down, KR adds a lot of comfort.

We really needed a guy with home run speed. Bijan is a once in a decade talent, but his high end speed is his weakness, as is Rojo's. Bijan is more Emmitt Smith than Chris Johnson. Getting KR on the field on third down will be a huge.

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to 2021 transfer RB Keilan Robinson

The Insider: Adjusting expectations for Keilan Robinson

VIP ByCHIP BROWN 6 hours ago

I had a good conversation with a source who worked at Alabama with Texas transfer commitment running back Keilan Robinson, and my expectations for Robinson’s impact are increasing.

“To help those familiar with the Big 12, I’d say the player he compares to would be Kendall Hunter,” the source said.

For those who don’t remember Kendall Hunter(5-7, 199) at Oklahoma State from 2007-10, Hunter was a dominant force, rushing for 1,500-plus yards in his sophomore (1,555, 6.5 ypc, 16 TDs) and senior (1,548, 5.7 ypc, 16 TDs) seasons in Stillwater. He also finished his four-year career at OSU with 63 catches for 519 yards and two touchdowns.

Hunter’s 4,181-yard rushing total is No. 4 on Oklahoma State’s all-time rushing leader list, behind No. 1 Thurman Thomas (5,001) and ahead of No. 5 Barry Sanders (3,797), who only played three seasons before turning pro.

“I see talk about Robinson possibly playing receiver at Texas, because he was listed as a running back/receiver for Alabama’s spring game,” the source said.

“But he’s leaving Alabama, because he believes there’s a better opportunity for him at Texas as a running back who can also catch the football. He’s better than Roschon Johnson, I can tell you that.”

Time will tell on all of this, obviously. But I trust this source as an evaluator of talent. And there’s certainly nothing wrong with having a Lightning component in Keilan Robinson to the Thunder of Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson.

Not to mention that Keilan Robinson has three years of eligibility remaining after playing at Alabama as a freshman, when he had 39 carries for 254 yards (6.5 yards per carry) and two touchdowns in 2019 before sitting out the 2020 season due to COVID-19.

Nick Saban praised Robinson during Alabama’s spring football. Robinson had four carries for 12 yards and one reception for 5 yards in Bama’s spring game.

“He is doing great,” Saban said of Keilan Robinson to reporters. “He’s got great speed. He’s gotten bigger and stronger. He’s really playing fast. He’s playing really well on special teams.

“He is a potential kickoff returner for us. He did it before when he was a freshman, so that is certainly a role. He has made really great progress as a running back.”

The source I spoke with about Keilan Robinsonsaid Texas hasn’t had a speed back like Robinson since Jamaal Charles.

“He (Robinson) ran into bad timing at Bama between playing behind Najee Harris and the pandemic,” the source said. “But he’s blazing fast and is kind of an untapped talent. But Sark knows his talent.”

So what does that mean for the Texas running back room?

Bijan Robinson, who had 86 carries for 703 yards as a freshman, breaking the school’s 51-year-old season record for yards-per-carry (8.2), is obviously the No. 1 back.

Bijan might be the best running back in the country. FOX football analyst Joel Klatt said as much this week, and I’ve talked to NFL scouts who already have Bijan on their radar.

But Sarkisian has said he’s going to get his best 11 on the field. And if Keilan proves to be one of the best 11 (or perhaps even 12th or 13th best), Sarkisian has also indicated he’s not opposed to two-back sets.

And what would be more daunting for a defense than having to account for two Robinsons: the versatility of Bijan and the speed of Keilan.

I’m a show-me-don’t-tell-me guy who has come to detest the hype train for incoming players who are yet to take a snap with a team.

But after this conversation - with a source I trust - about Keilan Robinson, my expectations for him are going up.

Spoiler

Fuck chip brown 

• Hook 'Em 1