Austin Super Regional Thread

Horndog

20 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Gonna have to go to dinner with the wife at some point friday or saturday. When is the earliest we will know our schedule?

Either after all games are completed today or tomorrow morning.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Gonna have to go to dinner with the wife at some point friday or saturday. When is the earliest we will know our schedule?

They sell food at Disch-Falk.  When I made my hotel reservations I bet on the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday slot, so about 99% chance we get Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

Where'd you read Bracket 1?  Usually Bracket 1/A or 2/B isn't decided until after the Supers.  The 1:00p or 6:00p the first two days though is basically just set by the broadcast partner to capture the most eyes and make use of timezones if need be (e.g., Arizona or Oregon fans won't tune in much for a 1:00p Omaha game since it's still 11:00a on a Summer weekend).  If it's us and Notre Dame/Mississippi State winner though, you can almost pen that in as a 6:00p start the first weekend, but whether it's Saturday or Sunday won't be known for another week.  Our whole side of the current 64-team bracket will slide into one whole side of Omaha, but which day that occurs is the question mark still.  

What you can tell as far as your first two games of the your trip is we play Saturday night.  Win that, play Monday at 6:00p.  Lose it and play Monday at 1:00p.

If we open on Sunday night and win, it's Tuesday at 6:00p.  Lose the opener and it's Tuesday at 1:00p.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Where'd you read Bracket 1?  Usually Bracket 1/A or 2/B isn't decided until after the Supers.  The 1:00p or 6:00p the first two days though is basically just set by the broadcast partner to capture the most eyes and make use of timezones if need be (e.g., Arizona or Oregon fans won't tune in much for a 1:00p Omaha game since it's still 11:00a on a Summer weekend).  If it's us and Notre Dame/Mississippi State winner though, you can almost pen that in as a 6:00p start the first weekend, but whether it's Saturday or Sunday won't be known for another week.  Our whole side of the current 64-team bracket will slide into one whole side of Omaha, but which day that occurs is the question mark still.  

What you can tell as far as your first two games of the your trip is we play Saturday night.  Win that, play Monday at 6:00p.  Lose it and play Monday at 1:00p.

If we open on Sunday night and win, it's Tuesday at 6:00p.  Lose the opener and it's Tuesday at 1:00p.  

I was thinking I could tell from the way they had the regional brackets laid out, but I went back and looked at when I went in 2018 and you're correct that there's no way to tell.

Guest Lobo

If you're trying to make travel plan, Tennessee v. Oregon could still make for a 6:00p start time on our side of the bracket in Omaha.  I think they'll give the concession to Arizona or Oregon (should Oregon make it that far), but not both.  I think with 75% certainty, a Texas v. Notre Dame/Mississippi State opener is going to get a 6:00p spot.  I know that doesn't help you yet in terms of which day to get there, but I'd say there's very little chance you need to get there early on Saturday morning.  I'd advise getting to Omaha Saturday afternoon anyway though.  

Guest Lobo

The starting pitchers will be a little off their game having to throw against our Friday lineup on 4 days rest instead of 7 days (but who knows which guys they're using in the second game today).  All in all, their staffs will be normally rested save for 1 or 2 exceptions when it comes time for Supers.  They will have to head home from Gainesville tonight and turn around and come to Austin Wednesday night (if it's a Friday afternoon game).  Their biggest concern is not rest time, it's the rotation awaiting them at Disch-Falk Field.  

Is there any way to look at the brackets and tell which game in Omaha we'll be playing?  Tickets went on sale this morning.  I think we'll be in bracket 1 which means we'll play on Saturday 6/19, but I can't tell if it will be the afternoon game or the evening game.
Take talk like this to the dark web bro.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam in the baseball forum, but I assume it's best to buy a parking pass online?  If so, is the East Campus Garage ok, or are lots 109, 110, 113, and/or 115 better?  I don't want to be trapped in a parking garage when the games end.

11 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam in the baseball forum, but I assume it's best to buy a parking pass online?  If so, is the East Campus Garage ok, or are lots 109, 110, 113, and/or 115 better?  I don't want to be trapped in a parking garage when the games end.

I hate to say this because I want everybody who is not me to park in the parking garages but yeah the surface parking is 1000% better. 

But go ahead and park in the parking garage. The long time you spend sitting in your car are made up for the few minutes less of walking you have to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes buy ahead of time. Same pass for garage and all the other lots you mentioned. I didn’t use the garage last weekend

9 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I hate to say this because I want everybody who is not me to park in the parking garages but yeah the surface parking is 1000% better. 

But go ahead and park in the parking garage. The long time you spend sitting in your car are made up for the few minutes less of walking you have to do.

Never, ever, ever park in a parking garage for a sporting event of any kind.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

1 minute ago, wood said:

A good amount of my childhood was spent sitting in parking garages following Texas sporting events. I would hope none of you deny your children those formative memories.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Guest Lobo

If you are taking the kids or elderly folks, I'll offer my parking pass for use on Saturday & Sunday.  I'll charge you $10 because I probably gotta use gas to meet you to give it to you and then meet you Monday to get it back from you. You can park anywhere you want on campus, except handicapped obviously, for free for as long as you want.  For baseball, I park along the 1b line near the LHN trucks or in the two small surface lots in the outfield.  But you can also use it for the East Campus garage for free as well.  

7 minutes ago, wood said:

I have been parking in purple garages for football for about 9 years. Right across from Scholz, and my tailgate at Trinity/MLK. There are exceptions to everything. 

5 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

I have been parking in purple garages for football for about 9 years. Right across from Scholz, and my tailgate at Trinity/MLK. There are exceptions to everything. 

Football is a different beast. Sometimes you can't really avoid parking in a garage if you want to be within 3 miles of the stadium. I think we used to park in that same garage you're talking about for football and basketball. 

This was obviously pre-Uber, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Football is a different beast. Sometimes you can't really avoid parking in a garage if you want to be within 3 miles of the stadium. I think we used to park in that same garage you're talking about for football and basketball. 

This was obviously pre-Uber, though. 

Nah I park within a mile every time, just west of Guadalupe...

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If you are taking the kids or elderly folks, I'll offer my parking pass for use on Saturday & Sunday.  I'll charge you $10 because I probably gotta use gas to meet you to give it to you and then meet you Monday to get it back from you. You can park anywhere you want on campus, except handicapped obviously, for free for as long as you want.  For baseball, I park along the 1b line near the LHN trucks or in the two small surface lots in the outfield.  But you can also use it for the East Campus garage for free as well.  

I've been called a retard a time or two.  Will that qualify me?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

For once, we helped get someone else's coach fired instead of the other way around.

How long would someone last at Texas going without a Super? 3 seasons? Amazing he's held on that long at a relative blue blood.

Guest Lobo

We've made it twice in Pearce's 4 full seasons so thankfully we haven't teetered on that.  But if he were to go 6-7 seasons without a Supers appearance, that would certainly be the end of his tenure here.  Then again, Shaka made it six seasons here without a single NCAA tournament victory so anything's possible.  

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

How long would someone last at Texas going without a Super? 3 seasons? Amazing he's held on that long at a relative blue blood.

ASU is the very definition of a "blue blood" - top 10 all time in wins and five national championships. They have 3 losing seasons EVER (been playing since 1959) - and this guy owns two of 'em. 

He's the Charlie Strong of Arizona State baseball.

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lobo said:

We've made it twice in Pearce's 4 full seasons so thankfully we haven't teetered on that. 

Yeah but one was a CWS appearance, too. He's also won the conference twice? 3 times now?

Texas just doesn't care as much about basketball and there are completely different set of standards when it comes to basketball and baseball at this school.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Me too but we are less removed from a football coach finishing sub .500 in 3 seasons than many of us would like.

I feel like our baseball program is on a different level. We have had, after all, four consecutive DKR equivalents before Pierce.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, The Dog said:

ASU is the very definition of a "blue blood" - top 10 all time in wins and five national championships. They have 3 losing seasons EVER - and this guy owns two of 'em. 

He's the Charlie Strong of Arizona State baseball.

Yeah I was just going off the top of my head. I knew they were on a short list at the top.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I feel like our baseball program is on a different level.

I think it if you compared the two in 2009 it would be close. Baseball has separated a bit the past 12 years - if only because football has been so bad.

We're kind of like Ohio State is in football in baseball. Never had a bad down stretch - our "weaker" teams typically still make the supers - but we don't have the most national titles.

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think it if you compared the two in 2009 it would be close. Baseball has separated a bit the past 12 years - if only because football has been so bad.

We're kind of like Ohio State is in football in baseball. Never had a bad down stretch - our "weaker" teams typically still make the supers - but we don't have the most national titles.

Yes because football had never ever been down for long periods of time before 2009? Please.

And giving us shit for a lack of post-season success when we have 36 appearance in the CWS? Does Football have 36 top 8 finishes since 1948? I fucking wish.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

A good amount of my childhood was spent sitting in parking garages following Texas sporting events. I would hope none of you deny your children those formative memories.

Postgame on the radio. Ahhh where did you go, 2008?

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It’ll never happen cause Pierce will be here for 15 years then Tulo or Huston will take over and history will keep repeating itself 

• Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes because football had never ever been down for long periods of time before 2009? Please.

And giving us shit for a lack of post-season success when we have 36 appearance in the CWS? Does Football have 36 top 8 finishes since 1948? I fucking wish.

It was 21 to 33 in 2009. And we could easily have 6 or 7 titles in football. I think 2010 was our worst football decade ever - or at least since WW2. Football has had down stretches but never more than 5 or 6 years at a time. 

• Hook 'Em 1