Austin Super Regional Thread

Horndog

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Fred Akers was going to do that shit when he replaced Coach Royal too.

That got shot down real quick.

Should not be apart of any of our teams period.

Yeah. Cause in football that’s chickenshit. Baseball in 2021? Who gives a fuck.

edit: got damn you fuckers are old. Our uniforms are perfect. That’s more important than a few stickers on a fucking batting helmet 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

If you don't like helmet stickers, you should've bitched about it in March or April. If you're just now noticing them, well then that kinda negates your argument. 

I mean it is the batting helmet, not even part of the uniform. Come on people.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

If you don't like helmet stickers, you should've bitched about it in March or April. If you're just now noticing them, well then that kinda negates your argument. 

You have to give them a break, they just started watching two weeks ago.

Come Sunday, the bitching will focus on lack of parking, the that the water fountains still aren't turned on, music too loud, Bob Cole announces like he is working in a strip joint (actually, he does sound like that), no music for the Eyes, Smokey outside the park, fill in the ________, etc...

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Come Sunday, the bitching will focus on lack of parking, the that the water fountains still aren't turned on, music too loud, no music for the Eyes, Smokey outside the park, fill in the ________, etc...

base running

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Not to rain on their parade but there are 16 teams that won regionals so #lastplace

I just hope somebody in Tampa cares about them. The school is trying to get Bulls fans to get excited, I hope it works.

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

They have an alumni chapter here in Austin.  Which I was surprised to learn since they don't even have a USF Alumni chapter in Southwest Florida.  

Their alumni association director was the former #2 guy at our alumni association for a long time, helluva nice guy-Bill.  I'm guessing he'll be traveling back to Austin with a group of about 9 people to see the games.  If the school wasn't still mired in Strong's shit contract, they could probably afford to fly out their pep squad and band.  USF really did accomplish something cool by getting this far, they deserve to have some support at the Disch.  

Maybe DeSantis and Abbott can make one of those fun Governor's bets on who wins.  USF wins, and DeSantis gets a full brisket made from USF bull and smoked by Aaron Franklin.  Texas wins, and Abbott gets to punch that ridiculous hairdo off of DeSantis' head.  

49 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I just hope somebody in Tampa cares about them. The school is trying to get Bulls fans to get excited, I hope it works.

I mean it's a tough sell especially against the backdrop of the run of success that the Tampa pro teams have had mixed in with the general Florida fairweather fans.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

They seem to be having fun with it and enjoying thumbing their nose at UF and Miami

Edited by texifornia

4 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Come Sunday, the bitching will focus on lack of parking, the that the water fountains still aren't turned on, music too loud, Bob Cole announces like he is working in a strip joint (actually, he does sound like that), no music for the Eyes, Smokey outside the park, fill in the ________, etc...

Every. Fucking. Year. Totally expecting someone to ask why Faltine or Silas or even starting this weekend 

20 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

the helmet stickers are awarded for meaningful plays. 

March and April were early on in the season.  Less stickers on helmets, not as easy to notice them compared to June.  

Simple

• Fuck You 2

45 minutes ago, VelvetFreeze said:

March and April were early on in the season.  Less stickers on helmets, not as easy to notice them compared to June.  

Simple

So dumb. 

And it's "fewer" not "less" you fucking dumbass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

EV-REE BAH-DEE CLAP YO HANDZ!!!

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, Horndog said:

Totally agree. They should use these. 

image.thumb.png.741a2196997bce80ae8cd831e90699fc.png

I would prefer the Hook 'em foam finger.

On a serious note, I wonder how long oven mitts will last... I know I would be seeing what I could get a way with as far as length is concerned.  Does NCAA regulate them?  (Not that it would mean anything if they did. )

14 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

On a serious note, I wonder how long oven mitts will last... I know I would be seeing what I could get a way with as far as length is concerned.  Does NCAA regulate them?  (Not that it would mean anything if they did. )

Imma get an 85-foot-long oven mitt so that I can steal the next base without even leading off.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VelvetFreeze said:

Simple

So do you just go through life being wrong about everything or….?

Is it Saturday yet? Ready for us to scare the shit out of the college baseball world as we go on a 2000’s type run the next 10 years 

17 hours ago, texifornia said:

They seem to be having fun with it and enjoying thumbing their nose at UF and Miami

Since UF only cares about football apparently maybe they should just take down their 2 national championship basketball banners.

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Who is Texas facing in the Austin Super Regional? Well...

Head Coach: Billy Mohl (Tulane ’07)
Record: 31-28, 14-14 American
Batting average: .264
Home runs: 55
On-base percentage: .357
Slugging: .401
Runs: 315
ERA: 4.04
WHIP: 1.32
Fielding percentage: .968

PITCHING

USF used a combination of Dylan Burns, Collin Sullivan, and Jack Jasiak on the weekends this weekend during the American’s conference schedule, which put double-headers on back-to-back days. The order switched several times throughout the season, but Burns started game one of the Gainesville regional versus Florida with Sullivan following against the Miami Hurricanes. Burns entered in relief against the Gators and has several relief appearances this season, so he could be a bullpen arm for the Bulls should they need him against the Horns.

#15 Collin Sullivan: 3-3, 3.69 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 78.0 IP, 86 H, 14 BB, 88 K, .271 opp. BA
#49 Jack Jasiak: 6-7, 2.89 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, 93.1 IP, 73 H, 21 BB, 89 K, .210 opp. BA
#12 Dylan Burns: 5-5, 4.08 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 75.0 IP, 69 H, 34 BB, 82 K, .249 opp. BA

Two Bulls lead the way out of the bullpen, at least in terms of appearances; Orion Kerkering and Logan Lyle.

#34 Orion Kerkering: 5-3, 5 SV, 2.28 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, 47.1 IP, 38 H, 30 BB, 60 K, .210 opp. BA
#22 Logan Lyle: 5-1, 4 SV, 2.01 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 44.2 IP, 30 H, 14 BB, 45 K, .186 opp. BA

HITTING

Overall, only two bats in the Bulls' lineup look to be a threat versus the Longhorn staff in third baseman Carmine Lane and first baseman Riley Hogan.

#9 Carmine Lane: .315/.368/.510 (AVG/OBP/SLG), 43 RBI, 11 HR, 44 R, 19 BB
#32 Riley Hogan: .296/.392/.513, 40 RBI, 12 HR, 40 R, 29 BB

They also have a stolen base threat in #6 Matt Ruiz, who is 8-of-12 on the year. His OBP is .385. Ruiz, Lane, and Hogan are the only USF players with batting averages above .260 and on-base percentages above .380.

The path to the Super Regionals

USF was not a tournament team ahead of their run in Clearwater, Fla. as the May 24 edition of D1Baseball.com’s field of 64 projection did not include the Bulls. Beginning the next day, USF won 4-of-5 to take home the AAC Tournament title and steal a bid out of the mid-major ranks.

They entered the Gainesville regional as the four-seed where they shocked No. 15 Florida with a 5-3 win in the opening game. Hogan and Lane both homered, and a four-pitcher effort limited the Gators to three runs.

The Bulls then shellacked Miami thanks to a five-run fourth inning. Advancing through the winner’s bracket, South Florida faced South Alabama in a Sunday game whose conclusion was pushed to Monday. The Jaguars took game one 4-0 to force a deciding game, but USF took the regional with a 6-4 win. It is the school’s first ever appearance in the Super Regionals in 14 NCAA tournament appearances.

USF is the only four-seed in the round of 16.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/9/2021 at 8:04 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Fred Akers was going to do that shit when he replaced Coach Royal too.

That got shot down real quick.

Should not be apart of any of our teams period.

I still remember, as a kid, all the grumbling the alums made in the stands and in the much-smaller Ex-Student's Association on game days of how they wanted Mike Campbell to be coach and not Akers.

They were many of the same people who painted "FIRE FRED" in white shoe-polish on the backs of their orange "Texas" jackets.