Austin Super Regional Thread

Horndog

9 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Glenn Guilbeau, The Daily Advertiser: Texas. The Longhorns return to Omaha for the first time since 2018.

The 2019 club was so shitty it makes us sound like we have been failing for years. 

Aria Gerson, The Tennessean: Texas. The nation's best pitching staff by ERA and the winningest program in college baseball history earns its first championship since 2005.

I like the way you think Aria. Everybody else picked Pig.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BachelorTrek said:

It's not a bad idea to bring the "Stormbreaker" hammer down (if he does pitch that way) in the 2nd game, win or lose Game 1.

Stevens isn't losing

The WHIP of our starting three is just awesome.

Hansen: 0.97

Stevens: 1.02

Madden: 1.05

Those are closer type numbers for all of our three starters.

If anybody is going to beat us it is because they shut us down, and nobody on USF's staff has that kind of juice.

• Hook 'Em 1

^

Yep, repeat of analysis.  Their pitching staff, despite facing inferior hitting in their conference, is actually half-way decent.  It's got some depth, it's got guys who can pitch to pop-ups and strikeouts (our weak points), and guys that transferred down from bigger programs and/or were drafted outta high school.  Nothing like the rest of the Big XII, but this will be the best staff we've faced in the post-season (ASU had too many injuries and Fairlfield was as deep as a Marvel script).  They may get lucky and keep us in check for half a game and cause some trouble on our way to Omaha.  But yeah, their lineup is average by their own conference standards.  They've never seen anything like our staff and our stadium.  If they hit .210+ against us for the weekend, I'll be shocked.  

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Stevens isn't losing

The WHIP of our starting three is just awesome.

Hansen: 0.97

Stevens: 1.02

Madden: 1.05

Those are closer type numbers for all of our three starters.

If anybody is going to beat us it is because they shut us down, and nobody on USF's staff has that kind of juice.

People are bullish (heh) on Jasiak, but yeah it ain't happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/9/2021 at 8:55 AM, hookemATL said:

We need to get rid of these pussy ass baseball gloves too. Mordecai Three Finger Brown threw 16 complete games in 19-dickety-6 and he didn’t have one beyond a worn out old bull scrotum he fashioned into a glove. 

the pussification of baseball continues unabated. 

LMFAO. Read that shit in Grandpa Simpson's voice ...

• Haha 3

If teams were smart, they'd make those baserunning mitts 6 inches longer and make them white to confuse instant replay reviews.  Why are they done in black?  Do the players think they look badass or something?  

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

^

Yep, repeat of analysis.  Their pitching staff, despite facing inferior hitting in their conference, is actually half-way decent. 

Yeah, and Fairfield was  supposed to scare us because of their pitching.

But they didn’t play dick for competition, and racked up their numbers against nobodys.

USF went basically .500 against a relatively weak schedule.

Their pitching can’t be anywhere good enough for this Texas team. 

16 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

FWIW - I didn't see a topic in "Gamboooool" (or Gambling) for college baseball, but there's actually some baseball super regional analysis/predictions here. Lulz.

Most people that gamble are not very smart but betting on a baseball game might be the dumbest thing ever.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:42 AM, Pimphand said:

Helmet sticker talk not going away.

I'm just ready to murder some steaks at The Drover. Let's do this shit!

That would be the rebuilt Drover.  They had a fire a couple of years ago.  We'll hit it up while we're in Omaha.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Most people that gamble are not very smart but betting on a baseball game might be the dumbest thing ever.

50 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Especially college baseball.  

There is a reason the phrase "degenerate gambler" is a thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, VonZipper said:

That would be the rebuilt Drover.  They had a fire a couple of years ago.  We'll hit it up while we're in Omaha.

Damn just read about that.  Talk about some impeccably bad timing catching fire in late 2018 and then Covid rolling through.  Glad they were able to persevere.

On 6/9/2021 at 10:42 AM, Pimphand said:

Helmet sticker talk not going away.

I'm just ready to murder some steaks at The Drover. Let's do this shit!

I love the Drover. Their whiskey steak is fantastic. I also like Cascio’s and recommend it, although their menu has been pared down because of covid. 

Cascio’s is a traditional Omaha Italian steakhouse, the owner’s son (he could be the owner now) would be a great surly poster. He likes the Longhorns, has some Horns team pics on the restaurant wall from when our teams have eaten there, and he’s a degenerate college football gambler. 

6 hours ago, Cajun said:

Madden is the right choice for Game 1.  Keep him on a short leash though.

Man Stevens is feeling it right now but yeah. Start our ace and set the tone. Give me a little bit of chin music in the first. Let em know this is our place and we will do everything to fucking destroy you

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Lobo said:

If teams were smart, they'd make those baserunning mitts 6 inches longer and make them white to confuse instant replay reviews.  Why are they done in black?  Do the players think they look badass or something?  

Oddly, it seems that on almost all the baserunning replays, all of the base touching seems to be done with the meat-hand. I don't recall seeing an oven mitt at the center of such a replay.

Also, I haven't quite figured out the use of oven mitts.  Is it throwing hand you want to protect?  Or is it worse to have to stick a fucked up hand in a glove?