Austin Super Regional Thread

Horndog

Just now, Fletch said:

Whatever. We’re in the middle of giving them hell and making em eat shit

Yes, I think that was included in my post. Not readily identified by the casual Longhorn poster, but there for the experienced ones, such as yourself. 

Also gotta tip the cap to Drew Brutcher, two of the better ABs I've seen in that moment. Guy came off the bench in that environment at 6'6 and wasn't swinging at ANYTHING out of the zone. Hopefully lessoned learned to walk that guy when the situation presents itself because he doesn't swing at any shit.

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

Also gotta tip the cap to Drew Brutcher, two of the better ABs I've seen in that moment. Guy came off the bench in that environment at 6'6 and wasn't swinging at ANYTHING out of the zone. Hopefully lessoned learned to walk that guy when the situation presents itself because he doesn't swing at any shit.

Yeah that bomb he hit was surreal. Has it even come down yet?

Just got home. What a finish, and the crowd. The crowd was nuts all night. Hookem, mfers.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Optimally you don't give up a 3 run lead in the top of the 9th at home against a Cinderella team - but again - looking around the country:

1. Arkansas - knotted 1-1 and playing win or go home tomorrow 

3. Tennessee - edged LSU 4-2 in game 1

4. Vandy - didn't crack 4 runs scored in either win

5. Arizona - currently getting hammered 10-2 by Ole Miss - likely headed towards a game 3

6. TCU - gone

7. Miss St. - edged ND 9-8 tonight 

8. Tech - gone

We handled business and put a mountain of pressure on USF going into tomorrow. We need a good start from one of the best starters in the country, a couple of innings from the deepest bullpen in the country, and about 5 good hits and we will be headed to Omaha in 24 hours. 

This team can play better and they will. And if for some reason they don't we are going to be fucking loaded coming back next year. 

yea this is the way it has to be looked at

USF got to the super regional so they had to beat some decent teams to get this far and they "play the games" because shit happens

shit happened and Texas responded with 2 outs and won the game

a lot of other really good teams had shit happen and then woke up after the next game and they were fucking going home after two losses

Texas left too many runners on base for sure, but the pitching was pretty good with the exception of not walking a guy when they probably should have so plenty of reasons to be up and plenty of things to address to play even better, but it is easier to address shit and feel good after how Texas ended it vs addressing shit and feeling like shit after a loss

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, and that hot-ass brunette they kept showing dancing on the LF scoreboard ... I really hope for y'all's sake that you could see that at home. After I saw her the first coupla times, I couldn't stop looking at the screen.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ButtFumble said:

yea this is the way it has to be looked at

USF got to the super regional so they had to beat some decent teams to get this far and they "play the games" because shit happens

shit happened and Texas responded with 2 outs and won the game

a lot of other really good teams had shit happen and then woke up after the next game and they were fucking going home after two losses

Texas left too many runners on base for sure, but the pitching was pretty good with the exception of not walking a guy when they probably should have so plenty of reasons to be up and plenty of things to address to play even better, but it is easier to address shit and feel good after how Texas ended it vs addressing shit and feeling like shit after a loss

Just win, baby.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, chase25 said:

You don’t need to walk him, not in the slightest 

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Depends on where he is in the batting order, but yes it is very much an option

Situationally he probably should have been walked tonight. But it took them until the 9th inning to get anyone past 2nd base. If this team wants to beat Texas then they can earn it. 

We need a good start from one of the best starters in the country, a couple of innings from the deepest bullpen in the country, and about 5 good hits and we will be headed to Omaha in 24 hours.

Ideally, when would you like to see these “5 good hits” take place?

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Situationally he probably should have been walked tonight. But it took them until the 9th inning to get anyone past 2nd base. If this team wants to beat Texas then they can earn it. 

Partially because Brutcher only had 2 ABs due to the fact that he pinch hit. Hitting .304 with a .429 OBP, like I said it depends on where he is in the order and the situation. I would almost guarantee and put my life savings on him being the starting DH tomorrow and not pinch hitting in the 8 spot for the DH.

22 minutes ago, chase25 said:

All he did was allow us to get a little deeper into their bullpen for the series. Joke is on him.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

Ideally, when would you like to see these “5 good hits” take place?

Hmmm. Ideally I'd say all 5 would be homers after 3 straight walks and we win 20-0.

Jesting aside I don't really understand your question. We had 6 hits tonight but 4 should have won it. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hmmm. Ideally I'd say all 5 would be homers after 3 straight walks and we win 20-0.

I appreciate the dedication to your argument. My argument, however, was not to say that everyone should hit 1.000. Or hit 5 straight homers. Rather, making contact with the ball to advance runners is the fine details which ultimately win you games. Or lose them. Tonight was a prime example. If you have a man on 3rd with one out you don’t have to crush a moon shot. You just need to advance the runner. 1 for 11 is abhorrent. 3 for 11 is attainable. USF had no business making this game close. They’re .500. Did Texas show fortitude and win this game despite the circumstances? Of course they did. But they had plenty of opportunities to put this game truly out of reach.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

When were the SFU fans in the stands being assholes? Before or after the game?

They did some BS chant during the Eyes before the game.....was not cool and got quite a few curse words thrown their way. 

Scoreboard bitches. 🤘

Edited by BillyGoatHill

23 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

1 for 11 is abhorrent. 3 for 11 is attainable.

1 for 11 isn't good but we had 2 hits bringing guys home from first (and neither guy got home because of an error) and a sac fly on top of that. So it was more like 3/13 if we can acknowledge that the entire concept of "scoring position" is a bit arbitrary especially in college when you have burners on your team. I mean they scored the walkoff a double but Ardoin got home from first. The one Kennedy got home on was a double, too. 

When I say "good hits" I mean either XBH or hits that result in RBIs. I'm not sure if you thought I meant 5 throwaway singles but that's not what I meant. We get walked enough and steal enough bases that we don't need 12 hits every game to get out comfortably.

There may be a game where we need double digit hits if we want to win a national championship but this team is capable of that. They might do it tomorrow. At the same time I don't think we will NEED to do it tomorrow. 

I think someone brought up the stat recently that this team is undefeated this season when scoring 5 runs.

Edited by ztejas

36 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Before I read through the entire thread, let me say I think I may have watched the game from the prettiest natural setting of the night.  I am in Valdez AK for a week, taking a course.  "Little Switzerland" today was 100% sunshine and 62 degrees.  It is now cloudy, but at game time it was 62. The mountains still have a little bit of snow, and I found a nice little bar to watch the game on a great looking TV at the Best Western. 

I live in the bush of Alaska, so this is the first game I have seen this year.  Overall, this was an extremely clean game.  Weird observations from a weird person who left Texas to teach in Alaska:

1. What in the wide world of sports are those stupid looking oven mitts?  Are we going to pull a cake out of a hot oven after we finish running the bases? 

2. The ump gave us that first high-inside strike that I think I have read about here several times recently.  I don't know why that stuck with me. 

3.  The S. Florida coach with the long-sleeve sweatshirt! Huh?  It's 90+ degrees, right?  I thought maybe he's trying to psych up somebody that heat is no big deal to them, because Florida, whatever. 

4. Dumb no-call review on the stolen base.  Our guy appeared to be safe to me. 

5. The S. Florida DH who hit the curve ball halfway to Elgin.  Wow!  Obviously his scouting report was out-of-this world good.  He knew the curve was coming. 

6. I've read so much on here about base running problems.  Good to see no issues tonight. 

7.  Ty falling off the mound toward first base was a little concerning, but who cares when he puts in a performance like tonight. 

8.  Fundamentals.  S. Florida had them, except when they didn't, like the exchange problem and then the overly dramatic, almost dropping the ball on a fly again later.  We had perfect fundamentals all night long.  

9.  I hope our hitters understand that this type of performance will not win games in Omaha.  It might get us to Omaha, but if we do this in Omaha, we will be 2 and 'cue.  

Wake up the bats for tomorrow and let's win about 10-3 to finish this thing.  

I don’t know what state you currently live in, but was this your first time watching a baseball game ever? The mitts have been commonplace in the pros for years and are common in the college ranks now. They help you not fuck up your fingers when sliding into a base headfirst.

The falling off the mound thing is what happens when you’re putting almost everything you have into your throw. Lots of pitchers do it but it’s not great fundamentally since you’re not landing in a defensive position. Leaves you exposed to get headshotted by a liner up the middle too.

I agree tomorrow will be a blowout, USF seems overmatched. The top of the ninth tonight didn’t worry me, it’s baseball shit like that just happens sometimes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, millhouse said:

Are we visitors tomorrow? I don't see how the 9th couldn't have demoralized them going into tomorrow. We need to jump on them early and often tomorrow and put it out of reach. This team has it, tonight showed that.

Yeah we should be the visitors tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The top of the ninth tonight didn’t worry me, it’s baseball shit like that just happens sometimes.

Yeah. Phillies fans had nothing to worry about after the T9 tonight either. 

(I'm sorry... you walked right into it)

• Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. Phillies fans had nothing to worry about after the T9 tonight either. 

(I'm sorry... you walked right into it)

Fuck yourself. 

I miss Mariano Rivera so fucking much. Chapman is not very good and I get sad when I see him come into games.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

Before I read through the entire thread, let me say I think I may have watched the game from the prettiest natural setting of the night.  I am in Valdez AK for a week, taking a course.  "Little Switzerland" today was 100% sunshine and 62 degrees.  It is now cloudy, but at game time it was 62. The mountains still have a little bit of snow, and I found a nice little bar to watch the game on a great looking TV at the Best Western. 

I live in the bush of Alaska, 

46 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t know what state you currently live in, but was this your first time watching a baseball game ever? The mitts have been commonplace in the pros for years and are common in the college ranks now. They help you not fuck up your fingers when sliding into a base headfirst.

The falling off the mound thing is what happens when you’re putting almost everything you have into your throw. Lots of pitchers do it but it’s not great fundamentally since you’re not landing in a defensive position. Leaves you exposed to get headshotted by a liner up the middle too.

I agree tomorrow will be a blowout, USF seems overmatched. The top of the ninth tonight didn’t worry me, it’s baseball shit like that just happens sometimes. 

so this is the first game I have seen this year.  Overall, this was an extremely clean game.  Weird observations from a weird person who left Texas to teach in Alaska:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

unbelievable game. Kennedy was nails everywhere tonight.

Melendez and Zubia(and Cam a bit too) need to get it going at the plate.  too many empty AB's.  we are winning this series but we are going to see pretty damn good pitching in Omaha.  we have our own great pitching but the difference for this team was our hitting.  need to get hot.

and da' Bulls are definitely the Sun Devils in the fielding department. yikes.  I have no idea why you are not playing "no doubles" D in that 9th inning but glad their coach was asleep.

16 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Love the looks on the south Florida players faces as they panned the dugout. Just their worst nightmare unfolding. Breaking opposing players hearts, a Texas baseball tradition unlike any other 

Richard> “You done landed on Mr. Gilmore’s property”<Prior

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

I was actually really impressed with USF. They came out nervy but they settled and made the plays they were supposed to and managed to dig up some clutch hitting. 

They're probably getting hammered tomorrow though... what did Cam, Ivan and Zubia combine for tonight? 

They are a fine little commuter school team.

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So 2 outs nothing happening and then our catcher gets an infield single and scores from first on a 2 out double by a guy that gets half his hits on bunts?

That's about the size of it. Two highly unliklies: a catcher legging out an infield "hit" and Kennedy hitting one over anybody not an infielder. 

11 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Petrinsky for Melendez. 

And how the fuck was that outfield fly that Melendez hit and that guy dropped an out?

I wondered this, but the only rules I had to compare to were football catch possession rules. Those fucking suck too. 

Just now, Istian said:

I wondered this, but the only rules I had to compare to were football catch possession rules. Those fucking suck too. 

He caught the ball in the glove, then dropped it transferring to the throwing hand. Similar to a double play where the fielder drops the ball on the transfer to make the throw to first, but the runner is still out at second. It's a judgment call, but IMHO the USF fielder made the catch, then dropped the ball.

• Hook 'Em 5

I appreciate the dedication to your argument. My argument, however, was not to say that everyone should hit 1.000. Or hit 5 straight homers. Rather, making contact with the ball to advance runners is the fine details which ultimately win you games. Or lose them. Tonight was a prime example. If you have a man on 3rd with one out you don’t have to crush a moon shot. You just need to advance the runner. 1 for 11 is abhorrent. 3 for 11 is attainable. USF had no business making this game close. They’re .500. Did Texas show fortitude and win this game despite the circumstances? Of course they did. But they had plenty of opportunities to put this game truly out of reach.

Umpires making a wrong call and a variable strike zone help makes this closer than it was.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, sidis said:

Christ, if whoever is blowing that fucking car horn sounding thing tonight is doing the same thing at the game I’m at tomorrow night, I may end up in jail tomorrow night for murder. 

Going to the game tonight.

I will make it my mission to find this fucker, snap some pics, and put them on blast for all of Surly to consume.

Whatever happens after that is out of my control.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1