Austin Super Regional Thread

Horndog

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ve been to Disch once, weekday game against Cal in 2016 I believe. It looked like pre-2015 Minute Maid in there, maybe 300 folks in attendance. It probably swells to 1000 or so for a weekend conference series. Non-SEC baseball stadiums only fill up for the 5 or 6 postseason games (if you’re lucky enough to qualify/host). Hardly worth the cost of a massive expansion. 

You have been spending too much time in Yankee Stadium, there were about 4,500 recorded attendance for all of the games in that 4 game set against Cal. Sorry if that looks dinky for you fancy Yankee fans.

https://texassports.com/sports/baseball/stats/2016

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ve been to Disch once, weekday game against Cal in 2016 I believe. It looked like pre-2015 Minute Maid in there, maybe 300 folks in attendance. It probably swells to 1000 or so for a weekend conference series. 

This is how you demonstrate that you don't know what you're talking about.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

You have been spending too much time in Yankee Stadium, there were about 4,500 recorded attendance for all of the games in that 4 game set against Cal. Sorry if that looks dinky for you fancy Yankee fans.

https://texassports.com/sports/baseball/stats/2016

Pretty sure that's tickets sold, not butts in the seats.

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Pretty sure that's tickets sold, not butts in the seats.

WTF? Now I have to go find a photo of the crowd in the 2016 Cal series? Come on! I have documented evidence here. CAN YOU BE A LITTLE MORE UNREASONABLE PLEASE?

Besides do you think over 4,000 people had tickets to a weekend series against the #12 team in the country and just stayed home? Seems an unlikely event.

Edited by Valmy77

There’s no way there was even a quarter of 4500 people at the game I went to. I actually do somehow still have a pic from pregame. Not a soul besides me in the stands. I’ll exit before the thread gets helobious’d. Point is expanding would be a dumb idea.

F27E573F-78E6-4F16-A69F-F15A80AC7F5A.jpeg

Edited by Helobious

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

There’s no way there was even a quarter of 4500 people at the game I went to. I actually do somehow still have a pic from pregame. Not a soul besides me in the stands. I’ll exit before the thread gets helobious’d. Point is expanding would be a dumb idea.

F27E573F-78E6-4F16-A69F-F15A80AC7F5A.jpeg

Batting practice? That’s like an hour or longer before the game starts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I actually agree with you.  It gets full and rocking in the postseason but rarely sells out in the regular season.  Now the AD could probably work on trying to improve that regular season attendance.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

They had a baseball program up until the mid-80's, I believe.

EDIT:  Just checked - through the 1980 season.

Yes - so for over half the CWS era we have not fielded a team.

And the reason it was discontinued was because we were so shitty and no one cared. We won the SWC one time. In 1953. 

It's like pointing out that the kid with downs syndrome never got a college credit. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Love watching BP, I always get to any ballgame early for that. The fake fans that make 95% of the baseball board wouldn’t get it.

Everything about this post is 😂 and 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by TonyTexas

37 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes - so for over half the CWS era we have not fielded a team.

And the reason it was discontinued was because we were so shitty and no one cared. We won the SWC one time. In 1953. 

It's like pointing out that the kid with downs syndrome never got a college credit. 

It's a shame, because baseball is a fit for SMU.  And they are in the middle of a big talent pool.

Dallas Baptist is what SMU should be in baseball.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Fuckin Helobious, States authoritatively that the Disch needs no expansion, based on the one midweek game he ever went to 5 years ago, then doubles down with a batting practice pic as proof. Is there a bigger fucking dipshit on this board? What a fucking idiot.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

It's a shame, because baseball is a fit for SMU.  And they are in the middle of a big talent pool.

Dallas Baptist is what SMU should be in baseball.

We don't have a lacrosse team either which I don't understand. Our club lacrosse team is full of rich East-coast boarders that could have played D1 but opted for the full college experience instead. We would immediately be a top 20 program (not that anyone cares that much about lacrosse).

Our soccer team is damn good. Golf and tennis are usually really good - especially the former. So yeah - you'd think we could play a little baseball. I have no idea where the stadium would go though - real estate around SMU is just as expensive as around UT if not more so - and fan interest in sports is already thin. We never fill up Gerald Ford, I doubt we'd fill up a baseball park. 

There's a decent thread on Pony Stampede about it. Plenty of folks myself included would love a baseball team. I guess there's no reason we couldn't do what Vandy has done. 

Not going to lie though, I kind of like having zero split-allegiance in baseball. I feel like less of a leech being a Texas fan. I'd never cheer Texas over us in any sport save maybe football - and even then my heartstrings would be pulled heavily in both directions.

37 minutes ago, wood said:

Fuckin Helobious, States authoritatively that the Disch needs no expansion, based on the one midweek game he ever went to 5 years ago, then doubles down with a batting practice pic as proof. Is there a bigger fucking dipshit on this board? What a fucking idiot.

Yanks just got swept by Philly for the first time since like the Civil War so he's maybe having a tough week. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

We don't have a lacrosse team either which I don't understand. Our club lacrosse team is full of rich East-coast boarders that could have played D1 but opted for the full college experience instead. We would immediately be a top 20 program (not that anyone cares that much about lacrosse).

Our soccer team is damn good. Golf and tennis are usually really good - especially the former. So yeah - you'd think we could play a little baseball. I have no idea where the stadium would go though - real estate around SMU is just as expensive as around UT if not more so - and fan interest in sports is already thin. We never fill up Gerald Ford, I doubt we'd fill up a baseball park. 

There's a decent thread on Pony Stampede about it. Plenty of folks myself included would love a baseball team. I guess there's no reason we couldn't do what Vandy has done. 

Not going to lie though, I kind of like having zero split-allegiance in baseball. I feel like less of a leech being a Texas fan. I'd never cheer Texas over us in any sport save maybe football - and even then my heartstrings would be pulled heavily in both directions.

you'd have to offset the lacrosse and baseball with women's scholarships, which I suppose could be done, but with baseball there is a bit of an arms race(no pun intended) not as bad as football and basketball but it is still there.

23 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Defensive highlights from the super regionals--three plays feature Texas fielders:

That double play from the Irish ...

Yeah, that was real smooth. A lot of those looked like routine plays made difficult by bad angles, but there were definitely some gems in there. 

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

A lot of those looked like routine plays made difficult by bad angles, but there were definitely some gems in there. 

Haha yeah, like anytime a ball was hit to a USF outfielder. It wasn't just Peña. Every one of them turned a routine fly into an apparent miracle.

In contrast, our guys made everything look so easy. Even Kennedy's sliding catch was smooth and composed. Really underscores the difference between top talent and "really good but not quite there" level.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bluto said:

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on that orange UT Omaha shirt til they put the damn 37 on the back. Shitll be outdated in 12 months.

I once saw a shirt that said something like "33 times and counting" and the dude had taken a sharpie and marked out 33 and put 34, then marked out 34 and put 35, etc.. I thought it really got the point across. 

53 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I once saw a shirt that said something like "33 times and counting" and the dude had taken a sharpie and marked out 33 and put 34, then marked out 34 and put 35, etc.. I thought it really got the point across. 

A guy with a shirt like that sat in front of me Sunday, except it started at 29. Not sure there is enough material left to add 37.