Austin Super Regional Thread

Horndog

Guest Lobo

Some good news for is.  There is no 5pm game before us on ESPNU so at least Saturday night—-our game should start on time with no bumping. 

Sunday night is a cluster cuss on ESPN2 and ESPNU all day.  I bet that game starts late.  

25 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I don't care about the hook 'em thing.  I'm more worried that they couldn't find a photo of college students who weren't moving appliances around campus.

To be completely fair, a front loading washing machine is an easier task than moving the chick far right. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That Super schedule has totally hosed my plans.

Same here.  Was planning to drive in from Katy for a Friday game, then sell/give tickets away for Game 2 since I tied up Saturday.  So looks like I am going to Game 2 Sunday..and ends late, furk.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I tried to look up the stats page for South Florida but it didn't seem to be working for me. 

What do we know about these jabronis?

According to D1 baseball, they’re 105 in RPI, they had the 78th easiest schedule in the country and went 28-27, 14-14 in the AAC. They went 0-3 against Tech with a -21 run differential and 2-2 against UH. 

In other words, they are terrible. We should win convincingly. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Same here.  Was planning to drive in from Katy for a Friday game, then sell/give tickets away for Game 2 since I tied up Saturday.  So looks like I am going to Game 2 Sunday..and ends late, furk.

I have hotel reservations at the Doubletree across from the Disch for Friday and Saturday nights.  I can cancel both nights, but they won't let me just cancel Friday.  I'm probably not going to be able to make an 8:00 pm Sunday game.  So it looks like I'll just be driving up Saturday and returning after the game.

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

According to D1 baseball, they’re 105 in RPI, they had the 78th easiest schedule in the country and went 28-27, 14-14 in the AAC. They went 0-3 against Tech with a -21 run differential and 2-2 against UH. 

In other words, they are terrible. We should win convincingly. 

What's their record against ACU?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

I tried to look up the stats page for South Florida but it didn't seem to be working for me. 

What do we know about these jabronis?

They saved us about $1M by taking our horribad football corch and they do have some talent:

ScreenShot2012-08-25at10.06.21PM_display

103009-usf-cheerleaders.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Hook 'Em 4

59 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I have hotel reservations at the Doubletree across from the Disch for Friday and Saturday nights.  I can cancel both nights, but they won't let me just cancel Friday.  I'm probably not going to be able to make an 8:00 pm Sunday game.  So it looks like I'll just be driving up Saturday and returning after the game.

So you're not going to drive up for an enjoyable Friday night in Austin in which you can get blackout and still make the game the next night? 

No offense, but I am very disdainful of your jib lines.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

So you're not going to drive up for an enjoyable Friday night in Austin in which you can get blackout and still make the game the next night? 

No offense, but I am very disdainful of your jib lines.

My daughter is my baseball buddy, so no getting blackout drunk.  When we were in Austin for the regional we did go antiquing in Fredericksburg on Sunday while we were waiting for the night game though.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We have the second most and own every other record aside from finals appearances. We are 6-6 and USC is 12-2. If USC is Alabama in baseball (and they are), we are USC in football. 

We are a bigger baseball program than USC. They have a bunch of success with Dedeaux and then a limited run of success with Gillespie. We have been consistently better than them and have 15 more CWS appearances. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Some good news for is.  There is no 5pm game before us on ESPNU so at least Saturday night—-our game should start on time with no bumping. 

Sunday night is a cluster cuss on ESPN2 and ESPNU all day.  I bet that game starts late.  

They will not delay our game because of television.

They will just show it on another platform like ESPN+

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess what I was saying is that from DKR to Mack our football program was on the national stage - competing for and winning titles about as often as baseball. So for that not insignificant stretch each program was on a similar level. 

It's the years before that and after that have really solidified us as a baseball school. Anyone born from 1951-1962 has seen Texas win the same amount of national titles in both sports. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Over history, maybe so. But they are 12-2, and we are 6-6. You cannot deny their success. They have double the national titles. They have the more decorated history and it’s not close. 

Yea they have double the national titles and haven’t been relevant in 20 years. They also don’t have sustained long term success like we do. They are only 6th all time in wins and 5th in CWS appearances. They have a great program historically but Texas Baseball is the the top draw in college baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

USC's success in baseball reminds me of University of Houston's success in Men's Golf.  UH has 16 national titles, but none since 1985.

Rod Dedeaux and USC Baseball are the John Wooden UCLA analogue of Baseball. And just like UCLA Basketball they have had their moments since their god coach left but are not among the consistently elite.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Right now, we are. But historically we are the #2 program. That’s just reality, and nothing to be ashamed of. 

And everybody in Basketball is still at best #2 to John Wooden and UCLA. But eventually somebody will surpass USC...and it better be us.

14 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not to jinx anything but I believe the last time a 4 seed made the CWS was in 2012. 

It's very rare. Most the time 4 seeds are 4 seeds for a reason. They can put one weekend together but that's about it. 

Was that the year that Fresno st made that crazy-ass run to the title?

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I guess what I was saying is that from DKR to Mack our football program was on the national stage - competing for and winning titles about as often as baseball. So for that not insignificant stretch each program was on a similar level. 

It's the years before that and after that have really solidified us as a baseball school. Anyone born from 1951-1962 has seen Texas win the same amount of national titles in both sports. 

Yeah well I was born in 1977 as you can tell from my forum handle. 22 regular season conference titles. 19 top 8 finishes. 8 top 2 finishes. 4 National Championships.

Kody Clemens, Brooks Kieschnick, Greg Swindell, Scott Bryant, and Taylor Jungmann have all won national player of the year honors. 36 first team all americans. 

So that's baseball. I doubt any other Texas program this side of Eddie Reese's swimming program, and he is the John Wooden of swimming, has much that can match that resume in my lifetime.

I am just desperate for football to someday win a conference title and that has not changed since I was a little kid watching Fred Akers' crew. For football being conference champion is a huge, and fairly rare, accomplishment. For baseball it is expected. For football a top 10 finish is a big, and rare, reason to celebrate. For baseball anything less than a top 8 finish is a failure. The programs are just on massively different levels.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4

Guest Lobo

Yeah, as mind-boggling as UCLA's 11 national titles in hoops are...only 1 has come in the last 35 years.  In the last 30 years, Duke has had 5 and UNC has won 4, in the last 20 years, UCONN has had 4.  USC's 12 titles in baseball will eventually be surpassed but it'll take another 30+ years for that to happen.  I think UCLA's hoops record will be matched before that, likely by Kentucky.  

Texas is easily a Top 3 program all time in college baseball, both historically and contemporary.  That's not the case with our football program.  

The craziest thing about it all is so many of our alumni and fans don't understand how good our baseball program is, and has been...for so many decades.  

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, as mind-boggling as UCLA's 11 national titles in hoops are...only 1 has come in the last 35 years.  In the last 30 years, Duke has had 5 and UNC has won 4, in the last 20 years, UCONN has had 4.  USC's 12 titles in baseball will eventually be surpassed but it'll take another 30+ years for that to happen.  I think UCLA's hoops record will be matched before that, likely by Kentucky.  

Texas is easily a Top 3 program all time in college baseball, both historically and contemporary.  That's not the case with our football program.  

The craziest thing about it all is so many of our alumni and fans don't understand how good our baseball program is, and has been...for so many decades.  

We’ve literally been in the CWS half of the years it’s existed. Just think about that. It’s a staggering level of consistency and success. 

Guest Lobo

Yep.  If you use 1947 as the first year of the CWS (not necessarily Omaha), and you got crazy and project us into the 8-team bracket this season...

Texas is 37 out of 75, or 37 out of 73 if you use the 1949 benchmark.  Pretty much 50/50 as you say. 

60 NCAA Tournament appearances out of 75 years.  80% effective rate, with what---about 40 regional championships?  

New fun one I just got this weekend-----Super Regional format has been around for 22 years now.  We've made it 11 times.  If we win this weekend, we're 10-1 in those Supers overall.  No school can come close to that record by percentage.  

And 67 conference championships (not including conf. tourney titles).  

I'm told that's good. 

16 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

2008 and they beat UGA. I found that very amusing.

To be fair they went through a stacked west coast regional back when the SEC wasn't as deep in baseball yet so the committee made all the west coast teams beat each other up. Their regional was 

1. Long Beach St.
  2. San Diego
  3. Cal
  4. Fresno St.

As was typical back then in the secondary west coast regional, pretty much all those teams were underseeded.

Then they beat national #3 seed Arizona State in the super. Then #6 Rice, #2 North Carolina, #2 North Carolina before the championship series against #8 Georgia. There was nothing lucky about their run in that tournament, unlike some past Cinderella stories in the basketball tourney who've gotten to the Final Four by avoiding high seeds. The Bulldogs just went on a tear and played great baseball and beat great teams for a few weeks.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

If this thing goes to Monday, and I don't think it will.  I'd expect several hundred seats to open up, maybe more.  Particularly a 3:00p first pitch.  But again, doubt it gets that far.  

To skip ahead, looking very much like our first game in Omaha will be Sunday at 6:00p versus Miss. State/Notre Dame winner.  How do I tell my family on Father's Day that I don't want to have dinner with them?  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If this thing goes to Monday, and I don't think it will.  I'd expect several hundred seats to open up, maybe more.  Particularly a 3:00p first pitch.  But again, doubt it gets that far.  

To skip ahead, looking very much like our first game in Omaha will be Sunday at 6:00p versus Miss. State/Notre Dame winner.  How do I tell my family on Father's Day that I don't want to have dinner with them?  

Thank God. My Okie Cousin is finally getting married and he is doing it on Saturday, conveniently half way from Austin to Omaha. So I am going to miss the opening day. I just had to hope that Texas would play their first game on Sunday. Nice when things work out.

Oh and tell your family that Dad wants a Father's Day Lunch. 

Edited by Valmy77

Just now, Lobo said:

If it’s your wife/kids, say “Its my day and want to watch UT baseball and don’t want to have dinner with you.”

if it’s other family and you don’t have any kids, just say “I have a kid I never told you about. I’m going to watch UT baseball with him”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Don't worry about it, they'll be relieved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo

Sorry dude, I'm a lot of things, but a crappy dad ain't one of 'em.  I cannot wait to take my girls to Omaha for the CWS one day.  Need to wait probably 2 more years (maybe 3) and they should be ready for such a trip.  

will be fun to watch the Horns from home this summer though.  Last time we made it, my youngest was just a few weeks old in mommy's belly.  Now she gets to use her language skills to smite our enemies.  To see them crushed before our eyes.  FUCK SOUTH FLORIDA!  No seriously, I hate that whole part of the state.  Really, I hate the whole state.  

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My daughter is my baseball buddy, so no getting blackout drunk.  When we were in Austin for the regional we did go antiquing in Fredericksburg on Sunday while we were waiting for the night game though.

Did you go baseballing that night? 

• Haha 4