2021 US Open - Torrey Pines

Wally Fairway

Final Qualifying is today

https://www.usopen.com/qualifying/final.html

Local kid from near where I grew up always plays in the one at Springfield, it must be his favorite course as he has the lead again this year; I think this year would be his 5th year qualifying there. He is a tour journeyman/grinder, 1 career win (rain shortened event) and over $10.5 million in career earnings  

https://www.usopen.com/qualifying/final/springfield-country-club-ohio.html#!&tab=results

I last played there, (South Course) in 2005.  I'm currently a 6.8 handicap, was a 5 when i played there and shot a 97.  It was super windy and raining which is very rare there but with that combination it destroyed me.  I buckled down and played as hard as i could not to shoot 100 which i said i would never regardless of the course. CSB

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Help me out.  Pool time, pick 2 players from 1-10, 2 from 11-20, and 3 from 21+ based on the World Golf Rankings.  http://www.owgr.com/ranking  Total prize money of all players wins it.  Whaddya got?

Rahm, Xander

Hideki, Berger

Spieth, Ancer, Connors

As a flyer, Higgo has been on an incredibly quick climb up the OWGR, obviously helped by winning last week. He's an interesting play.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rahm, Xander
Hideki, Berger
Spieth, Ancer, Connors
As a flyer, Higgo has been on an incredibly quick climb up the OWGR, obviously helped by winning last week. He's an interesting play.
The juxtaposition of these two posts is the first time I can recall seeing this.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Help me out.  Pool time, pick 2 players from 1-10, 2 from 11-20, and 3 from 21+ based on the World Golf Rankings.  http://www.owgr.com/ranking  Total prize money of all players wins it.  Whaddya got?

People above you are overthinking the 1-10. Take DJ and JT and don't think twice. Why wouldn't you? Or sub one of them for Rahm if you're hot on him. 

11-20 I like Oosty and Hovland.

21- I think Spieth is obvious. I also like Conners. Finished top 10 at both TPC and the Masters and top 20 at the PGA. 

Edited by ztejas
Meant top 10 not tied 10th

5 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Taking JT in his current form at a major is not thinking enough.

Rahm's current form is hard to ignore. I worry that the Memorial fiasco is going to be in his head and you don't want anything like that hanging over you at the US Open. I also don't buy him winning this week - but I guess if you're in a pool and just need guys to hang around the leaderboard Rahm is a good bet.

Not taking DJ would be criminal. C'mon...

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

Rahm's current form is hard to ignore. I worry that the Memorial fiasco is going to be in his head and you don't want anything like that hanging over you at the US Open. I also don't buy him winning this week - but I guess if you're in a pool and just need guys to hang around the leaderboard Rahm is a good bet.

Not taking DJ would be criminal. C'mon...

I won't argue against a DJ pick for sure. Both him and Xander are really good at the majors (save this last PGA for DJ). I just like Xanders current form better and being a local kid has got to have some kind of advantage.

Also, I would venture a guess a lot of people will pick DJ so this is a chance to seperate from the pack.

21 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Xander & Cantlay (as much as I hate to say it - maybe even Patty Reed, he did win there this year)
Viktor & Scottie
Jordan, Im, & Zalatoris  

You want someone to root for at the Open, someone you've barely heard of?
Hayden Springer, and here is his story (open with caution, it is very dusty in here)

Spoiler

https://firepitcollective.com/against-overwhelming-odds-springer/

here is the first few paragraphs

The Springer family shares their emotional story of surviving and qualifying

• By Ryan French
  • June 14, 2021
  • Photographs by Ben Van Hook (@benvanhookpictures)

Hayden Springer is going to play in the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines this week. A great accomplishment in any player’s career. Then you consider the journey the Springer family has been on and you wonder how he even is able to get the tee in the ground.

Emma and Hayden Springer met as freshmen at Texas Tech. Both were playing golf for the school and their shared passion for the game helped the relationship quickly bloom. For golf reasons Hayden transferred to TCU—as a senior he won the Big 12 championship, outdueling Victor Hovland—but Emma’s and Hayden’s love for each other never wavered. They were married on August 2nd in 2019, after Hayden had graduated and begun his pro career. A pregnancy soon followed, and their daughter was due in October 2020. It seemed like the start of a storybook life together.

Last May, Emma went in for a routine ultrasound. The doctors discovered some abnormalities: the umbilical cord had two blood vessels instead of three, and there were some cysts on the baby’s brain. A gauntlet of tests and doctor visits followed, measuring and testing to narrow down the issues. On June 30th Emma went in for an amniocentesis. She had to go in alone, as Hayden wasn’t allowed in due to COVID. A week later they received the devastating news that their baby had Trisomy 18, a genetic disorder caused by the presence of a third copy of all or part of chromosome 18. Around 50% of the babies with Trisomy 18 are stillborn. For the 50% that survive birth, the average life span is between two and fourteen days. Those who make it into the world are often exceedingly small, with severe heart defects. Most hospitals won’t attempt the surgery needed to correct the heart defects, deeming it too high-risk.

For the rest of their pregnancy, the Springers were plunged into a state of fear and uncertainty. How could they celebrate a baby that was so unlikely to survive? There would be no baby shower, no registry, and no family shopping for all the necessities. Emma had purchased a crib on sale before the diagnosis, but it remained in a box in the garage. They were told by doctors repeatedly that even if Sage was born with a heartbeat, she wouldn’t make it more than 72 hours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Pussies!  DCB obviously but also the USGA  They didn’t have to ask  They should have just given us what we want  

If DCB wasn't the defending champ, I'd agree.  But the defending US Open champ is always paired with the current US Amateur champ.  To throw the amateur into the middle of that clusterfuck would be cruel.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Jordan playing with Scottie in the first 2 rounds along with Zalatoris. 

Seems like that would be good for all three of them.  Comfortable grouping of guys who've played a lot of friendly rounds together.

On 6/9/2021 at 2:16 PM, 4th&Five said:

Never played it. I did paraglide over it though. 

5F22BFD7-AE57-439E-BD5C-D50AC8059C4D.jpeg

I played it in 2008 about 3 or 4 weeks before the last US Open there (hospitality tents were already in place and they'd shut down the north course to set up the driving range and other logistical stuff that they put there for the tournament).  It was brutal.  The rough was ridiculous.  I think I shot 92 or something from one tee up and was about a 6 handicap at the time.

Edited by DDD Dad

On 6/14/2021 at 9:32 AM, Sbbruin said:

I'd consider Leishman for your 21+ group: horse for the course. Same for Rahm in 1-10 bucket and Finau in 11-20 (just have zero expectation of TF actually winning the thing. He doesn't do that)

Edited by TommyGufano

The Brooks - Bryson bro fight might be one of the dumbest storylines in golf right now. Honestly who gives a fuck about two douchebags pretending to have a rivalry?

I wouldn’t care, but it’s been like 1/4 of the coverage in golf channel this week. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, heso said:

The Brooks - Bryson bro fight might be one of the dumbest storylines in golf right now. Honestly who gives a fuck about two douchebags pretending to have a rivalry?

I wouldn’t care, but it’s been like 1/4 of the coverage in golf channel this week. 

It is probably fake anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, heso said:

Golf is boring, they need all the attention they can get.

18 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I played it in 2008 about 3 or 4 weeks before the last US Open there (hospitality tents were already in place and they'd shut down the north course to set up the driving range and other logistical stuff that they put there for the tournament).  It was brutal.  The rough was ridiculous.  I think I shot 92 or something from one tee up and was about a 6 handicap at the time.

I played there in December 2011.  They were just starting to put together some of the grandstands for the Farmers Insurance in February.  Course was playable.  No wind.  68 and sunny.  I shot 83 from the white tees.  I probably would have shot 5-7 strokes higher from the blues.  But I wanted to enjoy my round.  Plus, I was playing with 3 ladies who all played from the reds.  No need to go two tee boxes behind them.

I'm glad Bryson and Brooks aren't being forced to play together.  Let them get paired together over the weekend with both in contention.  That will be much more dramatic.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

It is probably fake anyway.

It feels so contrived. Just pops up after the tour announces the “player impact fund”.

Watching Brooks try to explain how it was bringing more attention to golf was painful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Golf is boring, they need all the attention they can get.

from a certain perspective any sport is boring
NASCAR/Indy - all left turns (with rare exceptions)
F1 - looks like they are driving airplanes, people can't relate
tennis - hitting a ball back & forth hundreds if not thousands of times
football & baseball - mostly deadtime waiting for short bursts of action
futbol - not enough scoring
hockey - not enough fighting
fighting sports (boxing, MMA, etc) - too much fighting

I will say that women's beach volleyball is very entertaining

Spoiler

Volleyball Beach GIF - Volleyball Beach Mexico GIFs

Also, golf is not boring if there is a dominant player (Arnie, Jack, Tiger) and you can root for or against them, or if the event has very close competition 

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Drool 1

On 6/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, Mileslong said:

I last played there, (South Course) in 2005.  I'm currently a 6.8 handicap, was a 5 when i played there and shot a 97.  It was super windy and raining which is very rare there but with that combination it destroyed me.  I buckled down and played as hard as i could not to shoot 100 which i said i would never regardless of the course. CSB

That’s interesting to me. I played there and shot something like 84 or 86. thought it was the easiest hard course I’d ever played. Hard to make more than bogey, hard to make less than bogey was my take. 
ball didn’t go anywhere with that heavy marine layer. Had a never ending strong of long irons into every green. Fairway. Miss from 190-220  Chip on.  Maybe 2 putt maybe run 1 in. I chipped in on #1 for par, made a double on one of them, otherwise handful of para and mostly bogeys. I want to say I only hit 3 or 4 greens. Played from the back tees but not special championship tees which were in a couple places you could see special for the pros. 

10 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I’m probably in the minority but I’d be fine if TP wasn’t a major course anymore. Other than the few holes on the ocean it’s pretty boring to me. 

What's really awesome is the sight of the hang-gliders, I wish they would dedicate an entire broadcast to it. One commentator asking the other if they would ever... oh my god the laughter!

Well the my wouldn’t give us Brooks and Bryson in a pairing but they do have their fair share of bits going on with the pairings.

They have Speith, Scheffler and Zalatoris, three dallas guys playing together.

They have three South Africans grouped, several English pairings, three PGA champs together with Brooks, Morikawa and JT.

And of course the famous pairing of Bo Hoag and Tom Hoge, I mean come on…