2021 US Open - Torrey Pines

Wally Fairway

3 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Fng West Coast - I’ve been drinking beers since 10AM (Texas time) and watching golf, only to piss off the family on “ Father’s Day weekend”! It’s always Mother’s Day weekend, in my house, so it should be Father’s Day weekend!

Pardon?

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Inspirational

I'll take 12 of those Pacifico's please.

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Good fucking lord. Do they have to shoehorn Tiger into every damn shot?

I'm as big a Tiger fan as there is and I'm tired of the 2008 BS.  Let's just focus on 2021 and who is in the hunt.  The leader board really looks good for tomorrow.  IT's a great mix with lots of story lines to follow.  I think we are in for a great Sunday finish where any of 10-15 golfers are in it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Dewey said:

Bryson is such a jackass, "yeah well, what I figured out is that you just bomb it and can really play from anywhere,  it's not so tough.... save for the Masters) 

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I meant to reply to Dewey earlier, and yes he's still an asshole, but Bryson is 100% right. This course just hasn't punished fairway misses. He was all over the place off the tee but he was always about 350 from the tee taking his 2nd shot. And he carded a bogey-free 68. 

Whether he wins or not or capitalizes on his findings we shall see but his strategy is pretty on point. The rough and fringe just aren't that punishing this week and there are a lot of holes where distance plays into scoring in a major way. 

In fact - Rory's 67 today wasn't all that dissimilar. I'd have to check his fairway % but he's always one of the longest hitters and sprayed at least a few off the tee today. He probably putt a bit worse than Bryson but put more balls in the fairway. 

Edited by ztejas

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I meant to reply to Dewey earlier, and yes he's still an asshole, but Bryson is 100% right. This course just hasn't punished fairway misses. He was all over the place off the tee but he was always about 350 from the tee taking his 2nd shot. And he carded a bogey-free 68. 

Whether he wins or not or capitalizes on his findings we shall see but his strategy is pretty on point. The rough and fringe just aren't that punishing this week and there are a lot of holes where distance plays into scoring in a major way. 

In fact - Rory's 67 today wasn't all that dissimilar. I'd have to check his fairway % but he's always one of the longest hitters and sprayed at least a few off the tee today. He probably putt a bit worse than Bryson but put more balls in the fairway. 

I wasn't saying he was wrong, just a jackass. The past several US opens have been this way. They gone soft on us. 

Win or lose for Bryson,  I wonder what him saying this means for future US opens. Unless they are okay with a player telling the world you don't  have to hit it straight to win, there's no punishment if you hit it far.

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Just as a point of discussion, Rory was 23rd in fairways hit, Bryson was 35th. 10th & 2nd in driving distance. Tied for 8th in GIR. 21st and 15th in putts.

Hughes and Oosie are 60th and 18th in fairways, 53rd and 61st in driving distance, 8th and 41st in GIR, 6th and 2nd in putts. 

Edited by heso
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, heso said:

Just as a point of discussion, Rory was 23rd in fairways hit, Bryson was 35th. 10th & 2nd in driving distance. Tied for 8th in GIR. 21st and 15th in putts.

Hughes and Oosie are 60th and 18th in fairways, 53rd and 61st in driving distance, 8th and 41st in GIR, 6th and 2nd in putts. 

so drive for dough, putt for dough?

where do you find these stats?

Drive for dough if you have the short game to cover up the mistakes and the rough isn’t punitive enough. 
US Open rough is supposed to be very punitive, but you mitigate that somewhat if you are long enough with driver and irons that you need an 8 iron instead of a 5 or 6 out of the rough to hit the green. 

Now how does that change if the rough is so bad that al you can do is play sideways to get back on the green, at any distance?  Well your third shot is then still a cub or two  closer if you are long, presumably making it easier. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

The course is punishing players.  But they are also really good.  I wonder if the ability of players is outpacing the difficulty of the course.  If they make it harder, you may get a winner at -1 or even, but the cut might be +8.

I think that's part of it. I also think the usga is probably overreacting to the criticism in years past regarding setups just being ridiculous and unfair. 

I dont mind watching these guys have to work but I also don't need to see greens a ball literally won't stop on. 

I think the biggest problem this week is the course. I think Torrey is very meh. I don't find the holes that interesting to watch.  It's a course that's just kind of by the ocean but doesn't seem to use much of the natural terrain very well. 

I'll still watch. And I'll still hope bryson loses, but this is one just doesn't have me for some reason. 

Longer hitters will have the advantage in most courses, tough to set it up otherwise. Unless long, wayward drives end up in treed areas with no shot while 50 yards back you can just hit over them. But yeah the skill in putting should be in reading break and speed, don’t make the speed impossible to read or to execute. 

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I agree with those that think Torrey seems boring for a major championship course.

Yeah I'm not fan of 18 being a par 5 that you're expected to birdie. In my mind 18 should optimally be a difficult par 4 but not the hardest hole on the course, either. 

48 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Is the hole location at 18 the same as 2008 when Tiger made birdie to force the playoff? Maybe NBC will let us know.

Are you sure tiger won in 08?  I haven't seen anything about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I hope ooesthuizen wins, will pay me about $2500  

You might be in the chips on that bet. 

Oosty has such sound mechanics and a mortician‘s demeanor on the course. 

Unless another player goes wild, Louis is my favorite to win. 

• Like 1

The paraglider idiots are such “look at me” fools.  There is 655.8 miles of California coastline (I looked it up) and they HAVE TO fly their death traps over Torrey Pines during the US Open.  

Please scramble fighters out of Coronado and take them out.  

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, deadshank said:

The paraglider idiots are such “look at me” fools.  There is 655.8 miles of California coastline (I looked it up) and they HAVE TO fly their death traps over Torrey Pines during the US Open.  

Rather pick them off with a .50 anti-aircraft battery.  

12 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Gliderport is in Torrey Pines and is the most popular/famous place to paraglide/hang glide in the state (probably the whole country), regardless of what's happening on the golf course. Of course it was going to be packed today.

Edited by aggie08

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Gliderport is in Torrey Pines and is the most popular place to paraglide/hang glide in the state, regardless of what's happening on the golf course. If course it was going to be packed today.

They’re still annoying jerk offs.