Blastfurnace 2021

Storm the Field

I regret to inform you all that it's time for the annual thread. The 100 Days of Sweat are once again upon us. 

Mid 90's expected by middle of the week in DFW, Houston and Austin. Western part of the state about to get no-lubed by an early season heat wave. Seeing 105+ on Thursday in Lubbock, Midland, and El Paso.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Western part of the state about to get no-lubed by an early season heat wave. Seeing 105+ on Thursday in Lubbock, Midland, and El Paso.

I'm flying to Amarillo on Thursday. Awesome.

(Sorry for triple post but fuck it I'm already above 20k)

Edited by ztejas

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

What the fuck. God we live in a fucked up world right now. 

I'm gonna really blow your mind.  It's been hotter in North Dakota than Texas (122 vs 120.)  Perhaps you should stop whining down there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._state_and_territory_temperature_extremes

JK.  We'll have runs of heat, but nothing like Texas.  And ours is always a dry heat.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

I'm gonna really blow your mind.  It's been hotter in North Dakota than Texas (122 vs 120.)  Perhaps you should stop whining down there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._state_and_territory_temperature_extremes

JK.  We'll have runs of heat, but nothing like Texas.  And ours is always a dry heat.

I went hiking at teddy roosevelt national park last August. It was something like 92 or 93 degrees. We did 6 miles with my fat ass, my wife and my kids aged 9, 7 and 5 at the time. We brought plenty of water and were fine. The yankees we ran into were melting. I don’t want to leave my house when it’s 87 degrees in Houston. It’s a different world man. 
I think we found that if it’s a dry heat it had to get to 98+ before it was miserable. 
then- it cooled down to low to mid 70’s at night with a nice little breeze and we were all wearing wind breakers and it was pleasant. So much different then summer in Houston where you don’t have a moment of comfort- even at 3:00 am, for 100 days. 

19 hours ago, Parliament said:

106 on the Canadian border over the weekend.  Not good for the barley crop.

map (1).png

I happened to call my buddy who lives in Fargo last week to ask him a question about a project I'm working on.  We were shooting the shit, and he said, "It's friggin' hot up here, doncha know."  I immediately started chastising him and calling him a pussy.  He said, "Bro, I looked at the national map today.  You're in the 80's.  It hit 104 here today.  And I'm a pasty white Norwegian in North Dakota."  I stood corrected.  

57 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I happened to call my buddy who lives in Fargo last week to ask him a question about a project I'm working on.  We were shooting the shit, and he said, "It's friggin' hot up here, doncha know."  I immediately started chastising him and calling him a pussy.  He said, "Bro, I looked at the national map today.  You're in the 80's.  It hit 104 here today.  And I'm a pasty white Norwegian in North Dakota."  I stood corrected.  

I was biking around the Twin Cities on Saturday and it hit 100 according to my brother's phone.  I was talking to a buddy in Plano on the way home who was giving me shit about saying it was hot until he checked his phone and realized it was 20 colder in north Texas than central Minnesota.

16 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I went hiking at teddy roosevelt national park last August. It was something like 92 or 93 degrees. We did 6 miles with my fat ass, my wife and my kids aged 9, 7 and 5 at the time. We brought plenty of water and were fine. The yankees we ran into were melting. I don’t want to leave my house when it’s 87 degrees in Houston. It’s a different world man. 
I think we found that if it’s a dry heat it had to get to 98+ before it was miserable. 
then- it cooled down to low to mid 70’s at night with a nice little breeze and we were all wearing wind breakers and it was pleasant. So much different then summer in Houston where you don’t have a moment of comfort- even at 3:00 am, for 100 days. 

I grew up Beaumont and Houston area with a few stints in Fl.  All I knew until I moved to Austin for college was swimming in the air you breathe. The first summer I spent in Austin was eye opening.  Moved back to Houston after college and have been here since. I’m amazed when people bitch about the Austin humidity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I grew up Beaumont and Houston area with a few stints in Fl.  All I knew until I moved to Austin for college was swimming in the air you breathe. The first summer I spent in Austin was eye opening.  Moved back to Houston after college and have been here since. I’m amazed when people bitch about the Austin humidity. 

Had 2 roommates from Dallas and me and my buddy from Houston when at UT. They used to bitch about humidity in Austin and we’d just look at them completely perplexed. 

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was biking around the Twin Cities on Saturday and it hit 100 according to my brother's phone.  I was talking to a buddy in Plano on the way home who was giving me shit about saying it was hot until he checked his phone and realized it was 20 colder in north Texas than central Minnesota.

I suppose the next thing you’ll tell me is that it was way colder here around mid February with a lot more snow and power outages…

I suppose the next thing you’ll tell me is that it was way colder here around mid February with a lot more snow and power outages…

Actually it was quite a bit colder here during that insanity. Our infrastructure is just built for that shit.

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, the heat isn't brutal, but with the current Houston-level humidity, walking outside feels like swimming in a bowl of thick clam chowder.

Which, as tasty as that may sound, it's probably not pleasant.

On the one hand, don't want 100+ and dry, and hope we can hold off on 100 degree days for a while longer.

On the other hand, would feel better than this shit.

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

On the one hand, don't want 100+ and dry, and hope we can hold off on 100 degree days for a while longer.

On the other hand, would feel better than this shit.

{narrator} They didn't hold off the 100+ degree days and dry, and they were sore afraid  {narrator}

Edited by Trey3216
  • Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Took the dog on our daily 3 mile jaunt at sun down yesterday. The humidity was so bad I was soaked through by the end.

Time to buy my ass deodorant. 

Ate lunch at the house today with the dog.  Got bit at least 5 times by mosquitos and swatted away dozens more.  That was in the 7 minutes after I ate lunch and sat on the patio with the dog before I slogged my sweaty ass back to work.   

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

i would MUCH prefer losing power when it's 20 degrees than when it's 100.

you can always add more layers, but you can only take so many off!

No way. Your pipes are just fine at 100 degrees and eventually it gets cold enough inside that layering is impossible to keep comfortably warm. Also the snow made it impossible to get around. A blackout in the summer doesn't stop me from going to the lake or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1