Blastfurnace 2021

Storm the Field

10 minutes ago, F250 said:

Why does it always happen on a Saturday?

not to derail, but fuck Lennox and fuck me for agreeing to get a 'smart thermostat' installed when we got the new system put in.  The HVAC/condenser are tip top and nothing wrong with them, but the thermostat has to connect through a smart hub and starting flaking out and eventually stopped communicating.  The wiring is all different and I could not just slap on a dumb thermo to keep going.  The tech was able to come out today and said they are no longer installing those Lennox fancy touch screen ones.

- at first tried to tell me it was not possible to put a dumb one back on due to the wiring config but either had an epiphany or decided not to be a dick after 2 mins of back and forth about how there had to be some way to make it work.  Then went and rigged it up to work with a dumb thermostat.  Other option was to maybe get a replacement thermo by Saturday.  fuck that.

18 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Denver is going to break daily heat records the next three days and going to be in the 100s back to back days for the 24th time ever. 

At least the mountains are slightly cooler. 

Death Valley is looking at 125°-126° tomorrow.  But it's not the heat, it's the humidity.  So don't worry about it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Updawg said:

But we won’t have snow water for toilets in summer. Will have shit outside sweating our balls off.

My coworker is convinced we are going to lose water again. I tried to explain this is an entirely different situation, but she’s not having it. Full on freak out mode. Sitting in the dark with a five gallon jug she filled up. 

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Denver is going to break daily heat records the next three days and going to be in the 100s back to back days for the 24th time ever. 

It’s fucking hot here

I have a day trip to Boulder on Thursday for work. I was ecstatic because I have myself enough time for a day hike. It’ll still feel much better than Texas but it may be too hot for that knowing I have to get on a plane right after

I promise you the average Texas resident will have more hours of 'no power' this Summer than they had during this previous Winter (in aggregate, not consecutive necessarily).  Now whether or not more Texans die this Summer than died last Winter due to grid failures, Imma call it a push at this point.  But I'm told it's all part of God's plan.  

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I have a day trip to Boulder on Thursday for work. I was ecstatic because I have myself enough time for a day hike. It’ll still feel much better than Texas but it may be too hot for that knowing I have to get on a plane right after

wear sunscreen and a hat! #momwords 😄

we were in Boulder once a few years ago during one of these heat waves, think it got up to 104...felt like a warm oven in the shade.

i didn't sweat a drop lol but that sun is killer!

12 hours ago, swraith said:

Estes Park hit 90 degrees today.

I saw 90 for Aspen yesterday. If I'm reading correctly, previous record high for 6/15 was 81. That had to suck in a place where most people's A/C consists of opening a window.

At least CO folks catch a break in the morning and evening. Worst part of summer in the swampy south isn't necessarily when it's 98 at 4:00, but when it's  89 at 9:00. 

• Hook 'Em 3

the clusterfuck that is our state government and ERCOT, the icepocalypse, and now threats of rolling blackout which may be a annual summer thing has convinced me to get solar panels, a propane generator, and big ass batteries to be as self sustaining as possible. 

Fuck all of these self serving incompetent assholes.

Are you in Austin?  We are deadly serious now about installing solar panels and telling our HOA to get fucked.  only person that can see them is my behind neighbor  in a different HOA (we are both the terminus homes on our respective cul-de-sacs).  But the problem is, the power they generate still gets sent back to Austin Energy's grid.  So just because it's' cheaper power...you still rely on the grid.  

But fun fact, when our power does go out lately (the last wind/rain storm about 3 weeks ago) and the Ice Storm in February, it's because of branches falling on lines or transformers blowing out.  Our neighborhood as of this year can't be part of rolling blackouts anymore.  It used to be about half the HOA near the fire station was exempted from blackouts for sharing the same circuit with the firehouse and a small hospital.  But then Gov. Abbott's former higher-up moved in about 3-4 streets over for me, squeezed somebody, and now our whole HOA is on the firehouse/hospital circuit magically.  So we're not part of the rolling blackouts that are all but a certainty this summer.  But power does go out for other reasons.  I'm not gonna lie, sometimes corruption pays off.  

10 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I saw 90 for Aspen yesterday. If I'm reading correctly, previous record high for 6/15 was 81. That had to suck in a place where most people's A/C consists of opening a window.

At least CO folks catch a break in the morning and evening. Worst part of summer in the swampy south isn't necessarily when it's 98 at 4:00, but when it's  89 at 9:00. 

Grand Junction has already/will hit 105-107 this week.  That was part of Colorado getting their first ever excessive heat warning in the state.  

You're right though - mid-70s this morning is nice around 7-9am. 

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Are you in Austin?  We are deadly serious now about installing solar panels and telling our HOA to get fucked.  only person that can see them is my behind neighbor  in a different HOA (we are both the terminus homes on our respective cul-de-sacs).  But the problem is, the power they generate still gets sent back to Austin Energy's grid.  So just because it's' cheaper power...you still rely on the grid.  

But fun fact, when our power does go out lately (the last wind/rain storm about 3 weeks ago) and the Ice Storm in February, it's because of branches falling on lines or transformers blowing out.  Our neighborhood as of this year can't be part of rolling blackouts anymore.  It used to be about half the HOA near the fire station was exempted from blackouts for sharing the same circuit with the firehouse and a small hospital.  But then Gov. Abbott's former higher-up moved in about 3-4 streets over for me, squeezed somebody, and now our whole HOA is on the firehouse/hospital circuit magically.  So we're not part of the rolling blackouts that are all but a certainty this summer.  But power does go out for other reasons.  I'm not gonna lie, sometimes corruption pays off.  

I should probably ask this on the solar thread over in CYHMWT, but isn't that one of the selling points on the residential battery systems (Tesla, Kohler, etc)?  In jurisdictions like Austin can't you draw first from your battery stores, rather than automatically selling all production first to Austin Energy?  This has the side effect of allowing you to keep power on when grid goes down?  

I really need to get some solar quotes and ask these questions to them.  Shit is expensive though.

Edited by drt

Similarly our power never went out in February because we have a Wastewater pump station less than 400 yards from the house.  But realistically it sounds like even that might not insulate us this summer.

What the fuck happened to Texans with the constant whining about it being hot??? I can understand that by September it gets to be a beating, but in June?? It’s Texas in the summer time. It’s hot. It’s going to be hot. Stop being pussies.

• Hook 'Em 5

My upstairs AC started to intermittently stop blowing cold air this weekend.  It's old and I replaced the downstairs one last October so I was expecting the upstairs one to go out this year or next. 

I'm having the same company put the same Carrier model in, just a 1/2 ton smaller and it's $1,600 more expensive than last October.   

Not only that, the technician says that (like a lot of industries) supply chain issues are starting to hit hard.   He says they are seeing a growing wait time to get basic parts and is being told it's going to get worse as the summer goes on.   A guick google search seems to show he wasn't BSing.  Lots of stories like  https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/the-heat-is-here-and-air-conditioning-parts-units-are-in-short-supply/

I guess it's better it went out at the beginning of the summer

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

What the fuck happened to Texans with the constant whining about it being hot??? I can understand that by September it gets to be a beating, but in June?? It’s Texas in the summer time. It’s hot. It’s going to be hot. Stop being pussies.

it's rarely ever this hot, this early in June.

https://spacecityweather.com/it-isnt-normal-to-hit-100-degrees-this-early-in-summer-in-houston/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hate said:

We all got fat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

It was 100 in May 2011. 

Summer from hell.  The worst. 

I was taking my 5th lap around college and was delivering books on campus in a golf cart for the library. I would've sworn that it was 100 by 9AM a few days.

Edited by SimonBolivar

Yeah, all of this is a vacation on Maui compared to 2011 when the grass outside my neighborhood burst into flames by itself one day.  (we're the reason you can't park on the MoPac access road grassy areas for ACL anymore)

But this is unusually hot/humid for early June, particularly here in Central Texas.  It's not alarmingly hot.  IF not for the corrupt and/or incompetent assholes running our electrical grid, this thread probably wouldn't even exist yet.  Between the lovely spring and heavy rains, I wouldn't even be thinking of the heat right now.  But I've got one unit in our home that I'm hoping we can wait until Autumn to replace.  And I just dread what the idiots in our leadership have planned for electricity.  I'm just glad my new neighbor greased the wheels and had our whole HOA made into a "Critical Circuit" with the local hospital and fire-station so we now cannot be part of rolling blackouts.  But I worry about elderly friend and families nearby. 

19 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I was taking my 5th lap around college and was delivering books on campus in a golf cart for the library. I would've sworn that it was 100 by 9AM a few days.

I remember bartending on an outdoor patio on the 2PM-2AM shift on a July Saturday.  It hit 112 that day.  I did make over $1000 that day/night, but all the water in the world couldn't get me rehydrated.  

22 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

You had to get everything done outdoors by 10A, least anything work-related. 

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So do we need to open some holes up in the atmosphere to let it out or something?

But seriously, if it stays at this pace, we are fucked within 15 or 20 years.  We should annex Canada now, so we can all move there.

DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK (CBSLA) — One of the hottest places on Earth nearly set a new record Wednesday after hitting 129 degrees.

But far from scaring off people, the extreme heat drew several tourists. Some even lingered near the thermometer just outside the Furnace Creek Visitor Center to see if the temperature would rise even higher. One couple traveled to Death Valley to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.

“We’re here from Vermont, which is a much different climate, you know, it rarely gets near this warm,” Doug Cummings said. “Just to see this place, the destination and the views and the history of the place, its worth every minute of it.”

The highest temperature ever recorded in Death Valley was 134 degrees in 1913. Death Valley approached that record when it reached 130 degrees last August, and set several other heat records last summer.

This timeline is getting fucking weird.  People coming from Vermont to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary to see if Death Valley could break 130 degrees...and it's not even fucking officially Summer yet?  What the fuck?  Maybe the wall will protect Texas from this heat.  'Cause ERCOT sure as shit ain't gonna.