Blastfurnace 2021

Storm the Field

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK (CBSLA) — One of the hottest places on Earth nearly set a new record Wednesday after hitting 129 degrees.

But far from scaring off people, the extreme heat drew several tourists. Some even lingered near the thermometer just outside the Furnace Creek Visitor Center to see if the temperature would rise even higher. One couple traveled to Death Valley to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.

“We’re here from Vermont, which is a much different climate, you know, it rarely gets near this warm,” Doug Cummings said. “Just to see this place, the destination and the views and the history of the place, its worth every minute of it.”

The highest temperature ever recorded in Death Valley was 134 degrees in 1913. Death Valley approached that record when it reached 130 degrees last August, and set several other heat records last summer.

I appreciate the fact that we wrested the highest temp ever recorded from those lying Libyans and they had to punt their 136° hottest ever temp about 5 years ago.  Take that, bitches.

So... moral of the story... Death Valley can get a bit toasty in the summer?

In case anyone's wondering, the highest achievable temp possible according to current physics calculation is 2,556,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 degrees Fahrenheit.  In other words, about what DKR is during a game on Sept. 2 or so.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

In case anyone's wondering, the highest achievable temp possible according to current physics calculation is 2,556,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 degrees Fahrenheit.  In other words, about what DKR is during a game on Sept. 2 or so.

It's the mid October games where the temp soars in to the 90s by gametime and the sun is blazing that always got me.  you wake up and it's not terrible and you hope it's going to stay at a nice temp...but hope...hope is a dangerous thing.

When are we going to legit talk about global warming?

Gut reaction, probably correct: lmao

Best case: Give it five to ten years. Energy transition has the full attention of institutional investors. That enthusiasm will trickle down. There are some consequences that are basically unavoidable at this point but it doesn’t have to be a cataclysm. And boomers are dying.

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Gut reaction, probably correct: lmao

Best case: Give it five to ten years. Energy transition has the full attention of institutional investors. That enthusiasm will trickle down. There are some consequences that are basically unavoidable at this point but it doesn’t have to be a cataclysm. And boomers are dying.

I think a little sooner.  It feels like any day now, ERCOT is going to tell us that rolling brownouts or blackouts will become a normal thing during the summer, and this coming within 4 months of Winterpocalypse...it's on people's minds.

Yeah, it's going to become painfully obvious to state leadership that there are certain bags of shit people will accept if you keep them afraid of brown people, abortions, school curricula, drugs, gun confiscation, etc.  But politics aside...people will just not sit back and be fucked with when it comes to food, water, and energy.  Even the dumbest fucking voters, after about a week, aren't gonna fall for "Mexican wind is stealing your bread, story at 10!"  We can accept, as we just proved for the last 16 months, we can suck it up and not go to sporting events, Chili's, Home Depot, or the shooting range.  But we are not gonna sit back, paying out the fucking ass in cost of living, in the most energy rich state in human history...and not have a clean flow of A/C, lights, heat, potable water, and abundant food supply.  Make peace with this fact Texas, because you're really not gonna like what happens after that.  

Edited by Lobo

First morning in over a week that it didn't feel like I was walking through a steam room the second I stepped outside. It was almost pleasant in the shade.

Looks like we should return to normal June weather next week with highs "only" in the low 90's and some decent cloud cover/rain.

Edited by Storm the Field

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I've rarely seen the feels like this high compared to the temp. Just brutal.

20210621_133253.jpg

The dew point is 76 fucking degrees. 

Posted in the rain thread earlier, but it was 80 with 94% humidity at 6:45 this morning when I took my dog on our daily 5ish mile walk.  I'm still dehydrated from it.  

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Posted in the rain thread earlier, but it was 80 with 94% humidity at 6:45 this morning when I took my dog on our daily 5ish mile walk.  I'm still dehydrated from it.  

It's now 94 with a 74 dew point. Fuck that. This isn't Houston. 

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

WeatherUnderground station by my house in Woodway/Hewitt is at 97 with 77 dew point.  That's ripe for some bad weather when this front pushes through in a few hours.   

22 hours ago, ztejas said:

It has been in June this year.  This has been 100% living in Houston or Florida for the last three weeks. 

Last night, temp was 83 with a "feels like" of 99.  I took the dog for a walk and I would have said feels like 101.  That is batshit.

legit holy shit wtf is going on in the PNW 😳

currently 108 in Portland at 8:30pm 😯

my poor niece is up there for a summer internship...working outdoors with a mountaineering corps group. i'm legit worried about heat stroke this week!

Screenshot_20210627-222814_Chrome.jpg

20 hours ago, mchookem said:

legit holy shit wtf is going on in the PNW 😳

currently 108 in Portland at 8:30pm 😯

my poor niece is up there for a summer internship...working outdoors with a mountaineering corps group. i'm legit worried about heat stroke this week!

Screenshot_20210627-222814_Chrome.jpg

Its my fault.  I sometimes read this thread for the 'ha ha at least I don't live in Texas anymore' laughs.  Now I'm the one crying.   Stupid karma. "You don't usually need AC" they said.  Holy smokes.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Like 1

totally normal for points that far north in Canada to reach 105+ before it's even July.  Nothing to see here. 

My Dryberry Lake outfitter informs me not to come up there this summer.  #1 because they don't like me.  #2 because there ain't no fucking muskie fishing in this ball-sweat climate you fucking people call "June" 

Edited by Lobo

So one man's trash is another man's treasure.  Below is an aggy-drawing level explanation of what's up.  In as few words as possible, blocking high out in Atlantic is preventing stuff from moving W→E.  Another high has been blocking stuff from coming into the NW Pacific coast.  On both coasts, the air sinks and is denser, so weather is both squeezed down to the U.S. midsection, as well as allowing the Jet to suck up Gulf air.  This is why we've been so moderate and relatively rainy.

Their loss is our gain.

So who ya gonna route for?

map.png.61bd679a85ff5f491ef1491a5366b3eb.png

Anyway this is a somewhat unique summer pattern, and it's going to keep up to a degree.  A front will be squeezed down here by the weekend, still blocked from moving E.  So it'll move S.  And put a very good chance of rain into Texas for the 4th weekend, as well as milder temps - again.  Getting into the 2nd week in July with only 2 days > 100°, well I'll stop there, nojinx.

Lows 70s and blowing at night in Big Spring a couple weeks ago. It was wonderful. 

I would say the humidity in Houston makes you sweat profusely. I packed the car for a trip and I was drenched. The West Texas heat just feels a GD oven. They're both bad. Hot is hot. Maybe it's because I lived in Houston for so long, "but it's a dry heat" is bullshit. You can sweat so much in Houston that your body starts to cool itself. You're not going to feel cool by any means and you will feel disgusting, but once you hit a certain point, you can manage. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, yoladu said:

it was about as "pleasant" as one could expect last evening for mid July. Humid, yes, but I even detected a coolness in the breeze.

And the humidity wasn't even that bad.  Went for a lengthy neighborhood walk around 630pm last night with the lady friend and we commented on how it was July 12 and we weren't sweating our asses off.

• Like 1

Just now, South Austin said:

And the humidity wasn't even that bad.  Went for a lengthy neighborhood walk around 630pm last night with the lady friend and we commented on how it was July 12 and we weren't sweating our asses off.

Should’ve bent her over a park bench to see if that was still the case 27 seconds later.  

• Haha 1

Best summer in Austin EVER!  Lake tonight was 83 degrees at 630pm. Outside on the patio at maudies and it’s down right California weather.  God what I wouldn’t give for this every summer!

Edited by troph

This week in Houston area has been just about perfect for July. Bit cool relatively speaking in the morning, warm and dry in afternoon then some rain in the evening to cool things off again. 

I’m not a fan of the rain all day for four days straight pattern but an hour or so of showers every evening is spot on. 

Well, thank you for noticing.  It's nice when guests appreciate the little improvements.  

I'm sure there'll be hell to pay for this next summer and we could still have a Vindictive September, but the kids and I are loving this.  So is the lawn.  I haven't bothered to get around to all the sprinkler repairs I need to make since the snowpocalypse.  I may be able to procrastinate this all the way until Autumn or Winter.  

Taking the kids hiking tomorrow at Wild Basin Preserve to see the waterfall.  A possibility I never recall happening in any Austin mid-July.  

Yeah, this seems like something we ought know is happening. Lots of methane in the permafrost, right?

Arctic Circle is already recording 118 F degree days (and summer is just heating up)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/arctic-circle-siberia-hot-day-2021.html

Factor this into your spreadsheets, folks.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Hur durr

• 2 weeks later...

Temps take a dip next day or two as a little disturbance moves E-W over us.  Could rain thru Wed night but probably not.  Then temps go up to 3 digits neighborhood closing in on the weekend.  

Then - miraculously - amazingly - a cold front is going to move in about Tuesday.  An August 1st-2nd cold front in Austin???  Yes.  Temps Tue-Wed will probably be in the 80's.  Some rain, too.

Again, a cold front at the turn of the month.

Awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've seen some weather models picking up on that as well, but I haven't seen if the air mass is actually cool.  Is it a rain cooled 80's or is it in the 80's because the air mass is cool and dry?  And will it get into the 60's at night? 

I think it's just a naturally cool air mass coming down.  The big high dome is going to move w again next week precipitating conditions like in most of July - cool and moist air mass can sweep down to us thru Central U.S. as heat dome moves back out to Nev/Ca/Or.  

It also could be conducive to rain which might aid even more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...