Blastfurnace 2021

Storm the Field

8 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

This mild summer has me worried about another snowpocalypse. 

I don't know to which patron saint you pray as an incompetent hack...but the dipshits at ERCOT should be celebrating their feast day.  This mild summer saved us from more grid failures, more unnecessary deaths, and further national embarrassment.  

Cold front gets here in three hours.  I'm having a cocktail to welcome it.  Here's to a real Autumn.  

I don't know to which patron saint you pray as an incompetent hack...but the dipshits at ERCOT should be celebrating their feast day.  This mild summer saved us from more grid failures, more unnecessary deaths, and further national embarrassment.  
Cold front gets here in three hours.  I'm having a cocktail to welcome it.  Here's to a real Autumn.  
Of course ERCOT is probably standing around patting each other on the backs with high fives all around while doing nothing to actually fix shit putting us right back in the same place next year. Until then though!
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

If there's anything I'm not a hack at, it is incompetence thank you very much.

33 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Weather app says it's only 93 in Houston and 49% humidity right now. I just ran out for lunch and can tell you that's a damn lie.

It really felt like today was the only day I’ve ever walked from the parking garage into my office and was sweaty.  It’s definitely hotter than 91 where my office is in Nawfwest Houston. 

Fucking Canadians, always running late.  

Still 92 in South Austin.  But there is the slightest bit, a rumor if you will, of not so much the cooler air moving in, but the hotter air moving out at least.  Looks rain chances have dropped to nil.  I see that by Monday, we're back to 95 and humid as fuck with no rain in sight.  So that's fun.

But in the meantime, should be awesome to play outside with the kids by the time work/school are done.  

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Fucking Canadians, always running late.  

Still 92 in South Austin.  But there is the slightest bit, a rumor if you will, of not so much the cooler air moving in, but the hotter air moving out at least.  Looks rain chances have dropped to nil.  I see that by Monday, we're back to 95 and humid as fuck with no rain in sight.  So that's fun.

But in the meantime, should be awesome to play outside with the kids by the time work/school are done.  

81 with a 16mph N wind in Hewitt right now.  

Anything happening up in North Austin yet?  I know Fitlump is already up there cracking open a beer.  Imma go with a beer I think, too early for bourbon.  Maybe red wine with dinner tonight outside.  

Nothing down here yet, but sky is darkening up a hint.  Still 90.  Fuck it, I'm making a vodka in about 30mts. 

Ok.  Just left the office and the sun has come back out.   It’s showing 89 in my car and it’s usually pretty damn accurate.   Humidity is a little lower, but it’s significantly more uncomfortable than it was when I got back from lunch.  Hopefully this bitch ain’t trying to quit early 

8 of our 10 hottest summers and 3 of our coldest winters in recorded history are all in the last decade.  

Yes, it's anecdotal.  But then.....so is weather.  I don't actually care what the weather was like here in the 1970's nor what it will be like in the 2070's.  I don't care what's going on in the last decade in Nigerian weather.  I don't care what the 10-day forecast in the Maldives is.  During my time in Texas, the weather has gotten more and more fucked up.  That's all I know.  My FIL is a cattle rancher and farmer in Kansas.  What's happening in the last ten years is important to him because that's when he farms and raises cattle.  He doesn't wring his hands over 1950 or 2050 or the plight of the Belarusian wheat farmer.  

But Autumn is here bitches, let's drink! 

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

8 of our 10 hottest summers and 3 of our coldest winters in recorded history are all in the last decade.  

Yes, it's anecdotal.  But then.....so is weather.  I don't actually care what the weather was like here in the 1970's nor what it will be like in the 2070's.  I don't care what's going on in the last decade in Nigerian weather.  I don't care what the 10-day forecast in the Maldives is.  During my time in Texas, the weather has gotten more and more fucked up.  That's all I know.  My FIL is a cattle rancher and farmer in Kansas.  What's happening in the last ten years is important to him because that's when he farms and raises cattle.  He doesn't wring his hands over 1950 or 2050 or the plight of the Belarusian wheat farmer.  

But Autumn is here bitches, let's drink! 

And as he drove on, the rainclouds dragged down the sky after him, for, though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God. All he knew was that his working days were miserable and he had a succession of lousy holidays. All the clouds knew was that they loved him and wanted to be near him, to cherish him, and to water him.

Lobo, The Texas Sweatergod. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm to blame for a lot of things but not our increasingly more miserable summers. 

Speaking of Sweatergod.  Saw a guy this morning on the way into town.  He was wearing a suit, perfectly normal.  But he had on a sweater vest as well.  He was a robust sized man of probably 50 years, not frail, not old, not so skinny his bones hurt in the wind.  Sitting at a corner in suit/tie/sweater.  Because it wasn't quite 70 degrees.  I wanted to hit him.  I'm not even putting on pants today so my balls can finally dry out in the cool autumnal air after being stuck to my inner thigh or South Austin's mom's cheek for the last many weeks.  

This morning was so beautiful, I wanted to take it out behind the middle school and get it pregnant.  

Tried to get a jacket on the 2.5YO on her way to school but she refused.  Said, "No jacket da-da.  I like it outside."  Wanted to hand her a beer, but mom said no.