Need Lawyer - New Braunfels - Criminal Mischief / Trespassing

A friend just called and asked if I knew a lawyer that she can hire for her dumb ass 20 yo son who spent last night in the New Braunfels jail for criminal trespass /vandalism.   The kid's girlfriend bailed him out and he's back home in Austin now but they kept his phone.  Mom's in North Carolina which is why she called me.    I want to tell her to just get searching on the internet but I don't mind being more helpful if someone here can give me a name.  Should she hire a lawyer in New Braunfels where he was arrested or from Austin where the criminal mastermind lives?

Probably want a lawyer in Comal County.  There's a more than off chance that a local who knows the prosecutors can get a better deal than someone from "out of town."

That said, there are probably a number of Travis County/Austin lawyers that practice regularly in Comal County.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

A friend just called and asked if I knew a lawyer that she can hire for her dumb ass 20 yo son who spent last night in the New Braunfels jail for criminal trespass /vandalism.   The kid's girlfriend bailed him out and he's back home in Austin now but they kept his phone.  Mom's in North Carolina which is why she called me.    I want to tell her to just get searching on the internet but I don't mind being more helpful if someone here can give me a name.  Should she hire a lawyer in New Braunfels where he was arrested or from Austin where the criminal mastermind lives?

I can help, PM me

2 hours ago, Red Six said:

@4th and 5 is based one county over, but actually enjoys treading into that quagmire of injustice.

It's actually not as bad as it once was.

• Hook 'Em 2

Re: the phone.

Obv. I'm not a lawyer & @TwiceHorn is definitely a better resource than me, but didn't SCotUS recently (like... 2 years ago, maybe?) say that you can't force someone to unlock their phone for a search, even with a warrant?  That it's like making your phone answer questions without being able to plead the 5th?

On 6/8/2021 at 5:51 PM, Deej said:

Oh!

I had vague recollections of an Austin lawyer named Betty, Betty B even.

But my recollection was not of that woman.  It was a frumpier, older Bella Abzug type.  

May not have been a tv lawyer.  Who am I thinking of?

2 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Obv. I'm not a lawyer & @TwiceHorn is definitely a better resource than me, but didn't SCotUS recently (like... 2 years ago, maybe?) say that you can't force someone to unlock their phone for a search, even with a warrant?  That it's like making your phone answer questions without being able to plead the 5th?

I believe that the current rule of thumb is that law enforcement can force you to unlock it with a face ID or fingerprint because those are immutable physical characteristics and not speech, but that they can't compel you to divulge or enter a PIN. 

But I don't follow this very closely, and of course, the mere fact that something is unconstitutional has never been a perfectly effective defense or deterrent when dealing with pissant cops. 

I bet that whatshisname with the bulletproof and soundproof and x-ray proof and invisible Mitsubishi Eclipse that part of the crowd ran out of here for no really good reason a few years ago could probably answer a lot questions on this topic. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
BERNARD
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I believe that the current rule of thumb is that law enforcement can force you to unlock it with a face ID or fingerprint because those are immutable physical characteristics and not speech, but that they can't compel you to divulge or enter a PIN. 

But I don't follow this very closely, and of course, the mere fact that something is unconstitutional has never been a perfectly effective defense or deterrent when dealing with pissant cops. 

I bet that whatshisname with the bulletproof and soundproof and x-ray proof and invisible Mitsubishi Eclipse that part of the crowd ran out of here for no really good reason a few years ago could probably answer a lot questions on this topic. 

I think that's right.  I'm not up on it 100%. https://www.colo-lawyers.com/blog/2016/may/should-law-enforcement-have-access-to-smartphone/

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

That was VAPA IIRC, and yeah, I too thought he was a paranoid nut.

I don't think that anymore.  I think the dude was on to something.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 6/8/2021 at 9:22 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Probably want a lawyer in Comal County.  There's a more than off chance that a local who knows the prosecutors can get a better deal than someone from "out of town."

That said, there are probably a number of Travis County/Austin lawyers that practice regularly in Comal County.

you-aint-from-473654aef5.jpg

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Oh!

I had vague recollections of an Austin lawyer named Betty, Betty B even.

But my recollection was not of that woman.  It was a frumpier, older Bella Abzug type.  

May not have been a tv lawyer.  Who am I thinking of?

There's Becky Beavers the family lawyer.

or there's Janet Stockard:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

What up?  Amazing to see time heals all wounds with you, and yet Bern is claiming my posts about the constitution, liberty, etc was so far out there.  Times sure have changed.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:00 AM, bernorange said:

Wow.  Just read page 2 of this thread.  You are off the rails Ttom.  Further out than Vapa/mil if that means anything to you.  Angry rhetoric and/or violence isn't going to sway any hearts without virtue.  There is no virtue in unproven allegations.  

I sure have missed you guys.  All those romantic conversations we used to have about the law and such.

Where did we leave off?  Oh, I remember mentioning something about our government assassinating Americans without due process using drones.  I think I recall something about me being "tin foil" back when that was a popular term.  I never did share that I refused an order to assassinate an American citizen (under the Obama administration) and resigned my commission just five years prior to retiring at twenty years.  SecDef Panetta was involved, it was all hush hush back then although the government was bragging about doing it and sending its legal henchman out to justify it to various law skools.  Panetta actually sent the top Pentagon lawyer out to my little unit in the middle of BFE to give a classified briefing to my squadron to try to undo the "poison" that I was spreading (that we couldn't just murder Americans who weren't a threat without charge or trial because of the Fifth Amendment and Article Three, Section Three of the Constitution).  I wasn't allowed to attend that meeting which was too bad because I would have had some things to say to that lawyer...a man named Jeh Johnson.  Obama would later appoint him head of the DHS.  Which I believe has a little agency under it known as the Border Patrol.

I'm not sure if I mentioned my incident with the Border Patrol or not around these parts.  Here is video of me giving testimony to Congress about it though thanks to the ACLU flying me out there.  I know what you're thinking.  You didn't expect me to look so good.

Since those days I have retired from the military (my resignation wasn't accepted and the military found for me in that whole assassination debacle).  If you're interested in that, here is a draft video of my retirement that talks about it quite a bit.

Shortly after starting civilian life I won a victory for the First Amendment in Washington State court and also in federal court where I had a law struck down that made it a crime (punishable by up to a year in jail) to post something online anywhere with the intent to "embarrass" somebody else, if done once anonymously or twice otherwise.  Good thing I had that struck down or all you assholes would be serving life terms.

I'm about to sue the federal government over another First Amendment violation.  Looking forward to that given my last experience trying to get justice with the feds.

Sure is good to be back.

Edited by NomadicHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Gil Bang, you sure change your mind quickly.  A few hours ago you posted that you THOUGHT I was paranoid but you don't think that anymore.  I show up, and you're immediately running through the village "Paranoid VAPA is back!!!"

Well, maybe after a few more years you'll settle on whether I'm a paranoid nut or not.

31 minutes ago, Gil Bang said: 

The dude that used to post here that was really paranoid about cops...had a dozen cameras on and in his car that uploaded to the cloud, etc.

He's back, with a new handle

On 6/7/2021 at 5:05 PM, BottleRocket said:

Sorry to shit all over your thread.  Just so happy see these guys.  They're like brothers to me.  From a different mother.  Who did a lot of drugs.

I wish I could help with the law search but unfortunately I can't.  I don't envy your friend having to find a lawyer, so many awful ones out there that think they're all that.  The best way to find a quality lawyer is to know a quality lawyer and use their recommendations.

If they want to break into the phone they can probably do so.  Tools to do it are not hard to come by these days.  Whether they're supposed to under the law, probably not unless they think it's part of the "crime" and it's part of their investigation.  Of course cops often do whatever they want since they're in large measure untouchable.

Hoping for the best for your friend.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

That's my understanding as well re: fingerprints/FaceID vs PIN.

If you use prints or FaceID on your phone it helps to learn how to quickly reset it with the buttons on the side which then makes your phone require a PIN even if you have those features enabled.

Of course if they want in your phone, they'll get in it.

11 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

My main concern is the guy's 20 years old, and they took away his phone. I am worried he will die. Because gosh darn don't those kids like their phones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Updawg said:

That’s a pretty cool setup

Thanks man.  Was a little less cool after Roadtrek (the company that made it) had a scandal and went tits up crushing our 7 year warranty.  But it was the only one we could find that was all electric at the time.  If I had the time I would have rather built one which can be done easily, better, and for far less money.

This one has 1600 amp/hours of lithium.  It's like a submarine.  We can drive it and then camp out for at least two weeks just using the lithium to power the induction stove, microwave, etc.  So long as we don't need to use air conditioning so pretty limited for Texas unless you plug in somewhere.  Batteries will be depleted after running the AC for 8 hours straight.  Solar will extend that by a little bit but not much.

Van life is a great way to live especially out west with the BLM land.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, NomadicHorn said:

Thanks man.  Was a little less cool after Roadtrek (the company that made it) had a scandal and went tits up crushing our 7 year warranty.  But it was the only one we could find that was all electric at the time.  If I had the time I would have rather built one which can be done easily, better, and for far less money.

This one has 1600 amp/hours of lithium.  It's like a submarine.  We can drive it and then camp out for at least two weeks just using the lithium to power the induction stove, microwave, etc.  So long as we don't need to use air conditioning so pretty limited for Texas unless you plug in somewhere.  Batteries will be depleted after running the AC for 8 hours straight.  Solar will extend that by a little bit but not much.

Van life is a great way to live especially out west with the BLM land.

Have you run into Frances McDormand yet?

• Haha 2

I sure have missed you guys.  All those romantic conversations we used to have about the law and such.

Shortly after starting civilian life I won a victory for the First Amendment in Washington State court and also in federal court where I had a law struck down that made it a crime (punishable by up to a year in jail) to post something online anywhere with the intent to "embarrass" somebody else, if done once anonymously or twice otherwise.  Good thing I had that struck down or all you assholes would be serving life terms.
I'm about to sue the federal government over another First Amendment violation.  Looking forward to that given my last experience trying to get justice with the feds.
Sure is good to be back.

b6a5522513548fb0f7fbbfba59a4b9ee.jpg

“Nutter VAPA is back and says he won a case saying Washington can’t be mean to nutters like him.

…..See, nobody cares.”
  • Haha 2

Just now, Gatorubet said:

b6a5522513548fb0f7fbbfba59a4b9ee.jpg

“Nutter VAPA is back and says he won a case saying Washington can’t be mean to nutters like him.

…..See, nobody cares.”

Says the guy who started this thread about me.

And in so doing, actually demonstrated... that nobody cares.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Holy shit!  Well, I’m not quite sure what great injustice was ever done to you. I watched the first 4 minutes of your Congress (I guess?) testimony on your stop, and I still can’t figure out your beef. You were “detained” for 34 minutes because you weren’t being cooperative (you were NOT)?  If you present yourself like a weirdo and don’t roll down the window, I don’t really care if you get “detained”. 

You seemed to make mountains out of molehills and brought this solely on yourself. Like you were looking for a fight. I’m not sure of the reward to you, aside being “right”, and still not clear on the ramifications. 

Maybe it’s in the Congressional testimony video, maybe not. I couldn’t listen to you droning on with that haircut, sideburns, dark shirt with a suit, and French cuffs that weren’t properly folded. 

Let me try to ask it in a more simple way.

Please quote the nuttiest thing about me.  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Holy shit!  Well, I’m not quite sure what great injustice was ever done to you. I watched the first 4 minutes of your Congress (I guess?) testimony on your stop, and I still can’t figure out your beef. You were “detained” for 34 minutes because you weren’t being cooperative (you were NOT)?  If you present yourself like a weirdo and don’t roll down the window, I don’t really care if you get “detained”. 

You seemed to make mountains out of molehills and brought this solely on yourself. Like you were looking for a fight. I’m not sure of the reward to you, aside being “right”, and still not clear on the ramifications. 

Maybe it’s in the Congressional testimony video, maybe not. I couldn’t listen to you droning on with that haircut, sideburns, dark shirt with a suit, and French cuffs that weren’t properly folded. 

I'll try to speed this up.  If I am understanding you correctly, the nuttiest thing about me is...

... that I sued the Border Patrol and am of the opinion that armed federal government should not be able to seize and detain an American citizen inside the nation for thirty-four minutes without any reasonable suspicion of a crime (as opposed to your view that the federal government should be able to do that) and despite my view being shared by the ACLU, the Texas Civil Rights Project and other amici and despite it also being shared by Fifth Circuit Court Judge Elrod who agreed with me, and despite that video showing two Congressman agreeing with me and one apologizing to me on behalf of the federal government, me holding that view and filing that suit is the nuttiest thing about me and the pinnacle of your reasoning leading to the conclusion that I'm nuttier than squirrel shit.  Did I get that right?

If so, whew, that is pretty nutty.  You've convinced me.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t know or care what the nuttiest thing about you is.

Again, I don’t know or care what the nuttiest thing about you is. But your long-winded posts over 3 sites insisting your innocence in a fucking Border Patrol stop that you could’ve avoided clearly demonstrate you’re a nut job. And, your continued determination to pop back up is another indicator. 

Copy, you think I'm nuttier than squirrel shit and you publicly express that opinion of me, but you don't know or care what the nuttiest thing about me that led you to that conclusion is.  But then you confirm it's the fact that I share the opinion of Fifth Circuit Judge Jennifer Elrod, the ACLU, two Congressman from the video, et al (the nutty opinion) that government is not allowed under the Fifth Amendment (nor should it be) to have armed federal agents seize us inside the country and detain us for thirty-four minutes without even a shred of suspicion of any wrongdoing.  And because I post here from time to time, as you do, that is also nutty.

Thanks so much for clarifying that valuable opinion.

Let me try to ask it in a more simple way.
Please quote the nuttiest thing about me.  Thanks.

You refused to admit Vapa and Horn.mil were the same person.

That dishonesty lost you support. Plus, when we tried to tell you how your case would turn out you attacked us for knowing more about the law than you, and you never accepted that our predictions were based on our knowledge, not our wishes. You will never get it.

Remarkably, you turned a sympathetic group who would have supported you philosophically into enemies by virtue of your complete dishonesty and the five days old in the Summer sun goat abortion that is your personality. Joffrey Baratheon was a more likable dude.

But that is one cool rig. I hope you and the better half enjoy this beautiful country as you vagabond around, and have a great retirement where you move around so much people don’t get to know you well. Really good plan for you, actually.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Gatorubet said:

That dishonesty lost you support. Plus, when we tried to tell you how your case would turn out you attacked us for knowing more about the law than you, and you never accepted that our predictions were based on our knowledge, not our wishes. You will never get it.

Remarkably, you turned a sympathetic group who would have supported you philosophically into enemies by virtue of your complete dishonesty and the five days old in the Summer sun goat abortion that is your personality. Joffrey Baratheon was a more likable dude.

But that is one cool rig. I hope you and the better half enjoy this beautiful country as you vagabond around, and have a great retirement where you move around so much people don’t get to know you well. Really good plan for you, actually.

Ah, whatever I do I'm sure you'll still be here posting lonely threads angry about my legal victories and characterizing all my activism in the worst light you can muster.  Just like you tried to do (to an audience of just you) when I had a law knocked down that made posting online with an intent to "embarrass" a person a crime punishable by a year in jail.  The ACLU supported me with an amicus brief, the Electronic Frontier Foundation supported me, I was rep'd by the top First Amendment lawyer in the nation for free.....but there was GatoruBet complaining about it.  At least one person stopped by to point out that it was a bad law.

So you trying to mischaracterize the Border Patrol discussion from a decade ago isn't going to lead to a fruitful conversation.  I said then that you and others could well be right that I'd lose with the QI excuse (which is abused left and right in court).  I maintained that the law was clearly established in the Fifth Circuit and so QI should have been overcome.  I maintain that position as did Judge Elrod with her dissent.

I also maintain that your disagreement with me wasn't actually centered on the law, it was centered in your value system.  And that is where we disagree and that is what motivated you to create that thread about me long after I had left this board.  Your real disagreement with me, and men like me, can be imagined as a boot.  Stomping on a human face.  Forever.

50 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This repetitive post is evidence of a nut job. 

I don’t care what Congresspeople and Judges say; their time was totally wasted by you. I applaud the Agents that detained you. I only wish it would’ve been longer than 34 minutes, and the purported abuse turned sexual in nature. 

Thanks for pointing out how nutty I am with that sane comment.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was hoping the same angry, bitter, irrational people still smarting from my better argument and honesty would have remained the same angry, bitter, irrational people I remembered.

Turns out that after a decade has gone by, they have really flowered into wonderful people.  What should we talk about next?  Knitting?

Anyway, the Hank troll has shown up and the same pattern will repeat.  Weak men will show up with their attempts at argument or beating their chests with their "credentials" and I will make them look like fools.  Then they will start with the propaganda and smears to try to paint me as some right wing nut job, or a militia guy, or whatever -- tactics that have become increasingly popular by a certain group of people in this nation with disastrous results (and in case you're wondering, that unfortunate slide is readily evident on Surly). Then I will respond in kind to the insults, except better, and they will cry about what a big meanie I am.  Bern will say I'm "over the top" while the mob calls for my head, and the pitch forks will come out.

I could just suffer the insults and smears and the idiotic claims of me being "crazy" in the hopes of having a valuable conversation with the valuable members of the board from time to time, my submission being the goal here (as it is in an encounter with a bad cop), but that's not how I roll.

So I'll bid you assholes adieu and show myself out.  Maybe I'll pop back by in another decade just to remind GatoruBet and his friends that a real American exists outside of hollow claims on this board.

Always nice chatting with you guys.  Cheers.

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Says it real well.

This is a place that generally disfavors cops and favors the 4th Amendment, which is why I think he came here in the first place.

But it started deteriorating when the lawdogs explained how qualified immunity was probably going to fuck him.  It was all downhill from there.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NomadicHorn said:

Anyway, the Hank troll has shown up and the same pattern will repeat.  Weak men will show up with their attempts at argument or beating their chests with their "credentials" and I will make them look like fools.  Then they will start with the propaganda and smears to try to paint me as some right wing nut job, or a militia guy, or whatever -- tactics that have become increasingly popular by a certain group of people in this nation with disastrous results (and in case you're wondering, that unfortunate slide is readily evident on Surly). Then I will respond in kind to the insults, except better, and they will cry about what a big meanie I am.  Bern will say I'm "over the top" while the mob calls for my head, and the pitch forks will come out.

And this dogshit is why the whole board turned on him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Reminds me of the people that want to cause a huge uproar over the dude at the Costco exit checking their receipt. 

You could just wait in line for 30 seconds and then have them barely scan your receipt before slashing it with a pink highlighter. Or you can cause a huge scene, yell about your rights, demand to speak to the manager, and berate a dude making $14 an hour just trying to do his job. 

Technically, you're within your rights, but realistically you're just an asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1