What states have NOT been graced with your presence?

Like some others, easier to count states i have spent more than lay over time in: then the ones I haven't:  Texas, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, New York, California, Oregon, New Mexico, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Massachusetts, Colorado, Idaho, North Carolina, Missouri (well, Kansas City, both sides, so however you want to count that one).

Also not counting the states I lived in as a kid while Dad was in the Marines because i was too little to remember them.

I'm a big fan of the Pacific Northwest.  If I could pull it off would happily uproot and settle in Bend, OR for the rest of my days. Not that this was in the original question, just dreaming.

I also agree with the sentiment that perhaps NYC shouldn't count as seeing New York State.  I would say upper New York State is on my bucket list of states.  Also on that bucket list would be Montana, New Hampshire, Vermont, South Carolina, and Georgia, and Maine.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:44 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Is Delaware worth a side trip?  Other than to egg Uncle Joe's house?

Surprisingly, Newark, Delaware was a pretty decent place to visit. The University of Delaware campus is nice and the strip near campus was pretty fun. The female to male ratio seemed off but in a good way.

20 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

VisitedStatesMap.gif?height=100&format=g

40/50 so far. 

States I still want to visit: AK, ID, MT, WY

States I will inevitably visit: VT (wife from Mass), WV (UT game?)

No reason to visit: IN, IA, ND, SD

My son knocked out 9 states in his first 7 months of life. 

The Dakotas are actually pretty cool. Wouldn't want to live there or anything, but nice to visit once.

43 minutes ago, G650 said:

The Dakotas are actually pretty cool. Wouldn't want to live there or anything, but nice to visit once.

There's a whole lot of nothing between Fargo and the badlands....fargos nice, badlands are worth a day...a whole lot of nothing in between tho. Which is fine, keeps the trash out.

Id say the same about SD too...Sioux falls is nice...then nothing until the black hills. Unless you're into corn palaces and visiting the birth place of former NBA legend Mike Miller

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

There's a whole lot of nothing between Fargo and the badlands....fargos nice, badlands are worth a day...a whole lot of nothing in between tho. Which is fine, keeps the trash out.

Accurate.

Never visited:

Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, Michigan, Kentucky, West Virginia, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island , Maine

Regret not hitting Montana, Wyoming and North Dakota when I was in northwestern South Dakota.  I'll make an effort to get back up there, but those will likely be the last 3 in my quest for 50.

Places I was pleasantly surprised by: South Dakota, Philly and Knoxville, TN

Place I would not return voluntarily: IOWA,

Edited by orange dream

On 5/5/2018 at 11:08 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Admit it.  Not every trip you've taken has been to a five star resort or as a guest of royalty.

I beg to differ sir...

Haven't been to AK, HI, WA, OR, ID, MT, UT, WY, ND, SD, MI, NC, SC. So, 13 out of 50. AK and WY are the only ones I have any real desire to go to. Wouldn't mind Portland or Seattle either on a West Coast trip.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, Robin Masters said:

Been everywhere but North Dakota, Minnesota(airport layover but to me that doesn't count) and Pennsylvania. Will get to Philly sometime, Minnesota eh, North Dakota is gonna be the tough one to find a reason to visit.

If you like the outdoors, northern Minnesota and the Boundary Waters area is really nice.  Lakes are everywhere, so it's a great area to boat, canoe, fish (large variety of species), camp (primitive), view wildlife (moose, wolves), but bring your mosquito spray.  The roads don't go much past Ely, so from there you have to fly in or take a boat.  Eventually it's canoes.  My cousin owned a rental lodge on Lake Superior about an hour from Duluth.  That whole area is very nice for 6 months of the year.  A friend's family owns an island on a lake in northern Minnesota, complete with the former vacation home of the Maytag founders.  It may have been a former corporate retreat.  They have a family and friends outing there every summer.  Minneapolis-St. Paul is one of the nicest metropolitan areas in the country, but I can't say there is a reason to visit there rather than any of the dozen other nice metropolitan areas.  Taking in a Twins game is fun, especially since they moved downtown.  I saw Harmon Killebrew hit his 500th HR at the old Metropolitan Stadium (home of both the Twins and Vikings) at my first MLB game back in 1971, and my first Astros game (vs the Pirates) was the only game rained out in Astrodome history.  /csb

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I beg to differ sir...

Haven't been to AK, HI, WA, OR, ID, MT, UT, WY, ND, SD, MI, NC, SC. So, 13 out of 50. AK and WY are the only ones I have any real desire to go to. Wouldn't mind Portland or Seattle either on a West Coast trip.

On which statement do we differ?  The five start resorts part, or the guests of royalty part?  Perhaps it's the "or" part.  Before you answer, remember, we are no longer the Shaggy elite.

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

im still confused how the one dudes been to Minnesota, but hasn't been to the Dakotas, Iowa, or Wisconsin

I wonder if there is some sort of transportation method that doesnt involve overland travel...would be nice to just appear in a state without having to travel thru the bordering states

Alaska and Hawaii are the only two for me.  Family vacations growing up consisted of 2 weeks minimum in the car just driving the country. No real scheduled or itinerary.    Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, RI, and Connecticut were the only states we visited and cheated by flying into New York and renting a car before starting our trip.  

Learned to read a map pretty good over those trips but from hearing stories now, I got pretty annoying during the stretches of open country announcing how many miles to the next town every 5 miles.  

Never been to:

Oregon, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska, Montana, Wyoming, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Hawaii.

Some of the states I have been, such as Washington, were really only stopovers or drive throughs.  I've never lived in another state other Texas that I remember.  We lived in a trailer in Enterprise, Alabama when my dad was in helicopter school for the Army, but I was a newborn and obviously don't remember it.  

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire are nice areas, especially in the fall and I second the comment about Portland being nice. 

This is true. An Austinite wouldn't feel out of place in Portland. The two towns are different in a lot of fundamental ways, but they are both laid back, and far more sophisticated than the surrounding areas.

Missing:

Alaska , Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine

So got 20 left to go.  

Will probably knock out Illinois and maybe Wisconsin next year.  

I'm missing Utah, Nebraska, and Alaska. 

I did catch a connecting flight in Puerto Rico, on my way to the US Virgin Islands.

Maine is a must. Portland and Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor are amazing places.

2 hours ago, Anwar Namtut said:

Visited_States_Map.gif

The states to which I've been. I've flown through Minneapolis several times, but never out of the airport, so I didn't include it. I did include Wisconsin because we drove into the state specifically to say we had been there.

Jr. and I were in Chicago last November and drove up to Green Bay and then back down to Milwaukee for a Bucks game, wished we had stayed over and checked Milwaukee out instead of going back to Chicago after the game. 

4 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

This is true. An Austinite wouldn't feel out of place in Portland. The two towns are different in a lot of fundamental ways, but they are both laid back, and far more sophisticated than the surrounding areas.

He was referring to Portland, ME. Very different town.

4 hours ago, Scraps said:

Missing:

Alaska , Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine

So got 20 left to go.  

Will probably knock out Illinois and maybe Wisconsin next year.  

you need to not be a bitch and head about 500 miles to the north and west

What is your favorite unconventional state that you have visited? Or States that you were surprised you liked as much as you did? 

I loved Alaska but I guess that might be expected with the spectacular terrain. I thought Minnesota (Great MPLS area) was really nice. I went there often for work for a couple of years but it was mostly in the Summer. I loved the green and the lakes. It reminded me of Northern Michigan which I love in the Summer. 

Hill Country is obviously amazing and not what I pictured Texas to be at all growing up in the Midwest, but that was a realization I came upon 20 years ago. 

Love the Rockies, the Tetons, the Sierra Nevada. Montana (Big Sky) was pretty amazing as well. 

9 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

What is your favorite unconventional state that you have visited? Or States that you were surprised you liked as much as you did? 

I loved Alaska but I guess that might be expected with the spectacular terrain. I thought Minnesota (Great MPLS area) was really nice. I went there often for work for a couple of years but it was mostly in the Summer. I loved the green and the lakes. It reminded me of Northern Michigan which I love in the Summer. 

Hill Country is obviously amazing and not what I pictured Texas to be at all growing up in the Midwest, but that was a realization I came upon 20 years ago. 

Love the Rockies, the Tetons, the Sierra Nevada. Montana (Big Sky) was pretty amazing as well. 

The drive from Portland to Boise on 84 was one of the most gorgeous pieces of scenery I have seen.  Then stopping off at Twin Falls to check out Shoshone Falls past Boise was pretty cool too.

Just don't go to a strip club in Idaho. 

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

you need to not be a bitch and head about 500 miles to the north and west

I may could pull off Minneapolis at that time, but doubtful.  Want to spend most of my time in Chicago....then head up to Milwaukee to see a baseball game to knock that out since it is close.