Cheating Thread

Eskimohorn

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

The point is that the Astros kicked your team's ass. That's always been the point. That's why the biggest crowd reactions are in Boston, New York, and Los Angeles.

The Astros cheated like everyone else. They didn't cheat worse or more, they cheated dumber.

It will never stop being hilarious to me that we were the team with the supposedly brilliant McKinsey-types on staff and we cheated by...banging on a trash can. 

I should've gone into consulting.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The Astros cheated like everyone else. They didn't cheat worse or more, they cheated dumber.

But but but TECHNOLOGY!!! A SCHEME!!! ORGANIZED!!! UNPRECEDENTED IN ITS SLY GUILE!!

Banging on a trash can in earshot of the opponents dugout??? That only happens in an environment of rampant electronic sign stealing where the culture is always pushing the boundaries of acceptability within the unwritten rules of the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Who knows if he actually said that. 

I get that most of you never matriculated past HCC or San Jac, but your lack of critical thinking skills astounds me still. Did all MLB teams engage in some electronic sign stealing? Sure, even the Yankees. The point has always been that the Astros did it for a longer time period and to a greater extent than anyone else.

Major League Baseball Smile GIF by MLB

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I have a feeling this is going to snowball into another huge story. Legacies might be tarnished in the end. I also know for a fact that other media outlets have been sitting on the Beltre shit waiting to drop it right as soon as he was about to get inducted into the HOF as soon as he's on the ballot. That's hilarious to me. Clicks rule the world I guess.

Or, and just spitballing here (pun absolutely intended), it would probably just be easier to say "we were completely full of shit when we acted like the Astros were the only ones cheating, cheating has always been a part of baseball, we are trying to clean it up moving forward" and then no legacies are tarnished.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Or, and just spitballing here (pun absolutely intended), it would probably just be easier to say "we were completely full of shit when we acted like the Astros were the only ones cheating, cheating has always been a part of baseball, we are trying to clean it up moving forward" and then no legacies are tarnished.

I think I have a better chance at winning the Powerball without buying a ticket than we have of ever hearing anything remotely resembling what you wrote.

It would be an alltime shocker.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

It will never stop being hilarious to me that we were the team with the supposedly brilliant McKinsey-types on staff and we cheated by...banging on a trash can. 

I should've gone into consulting.

actually, that part of it kind of checks out

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Quick search shows the 2017 Yankees batted .265 at home in 2702 ABs and .258 away in 2892 ABs. That’s the definition of negligible. 

The Astros batted better on the road than at home in 2017 and you have steadfastly refused to acknowledge that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

E739B8D3-55A7-4399-B089-3DABB0CC9DE7.jpeg.9b28699e9d60d2e060bb7393beaa1ec5.jpeg

All of the schemes are pretty dumb.  The Astros’ problem was that they had a butt-hurt bitch-ass rat on the team.  

Return your playoff share and ring, Fiers!

• Hook 'Em 6

This asswhipe @Helobious is not even worth engaging. Imagine growing up in the Texas valley with no connection to the Yankees and somehow becoming a fan of the most hated team in the league? As a kid I also fell in love with the history of the Yankees, because it's really fucking cool, but I grew out of liking the Yankees pretty fucking quickly as I assume most normally adjusted American males with real friends do.

He's obviously a flawed guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Imagine growing up in the Texas valley with no connection to the Yankees and somehow becoming a fan of the most hated team in the league?

In fairness to him he's answered this countless times. I agree it's the definition of a bandwagon fan but he was a kid and just never stopped being a fan. I can't really argue with that, but he crosses the line when constantly falls back into his dumb, audacious attacks on surly fans as "bandwagon" Astros fans. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The Astros batted better on the road than at home in 2017 and you have steadfastly refused to acknowledge that. 

And that dipshit just used batting average.  Yanks home OPS was .817 and it was .755 on the road.  That is not a negligible difference.  It's a significant difference.

Astros home road split for OPS in 2017 was .812 to .834.

And yes it is bizarre to root for a professional team you have no connection with.

• Hook 'Em 3

In fairness to him he's answered this countless times. I agree it's the definition of a bandwagon fan but he was a kid and just never stopped being a fan. I can't really argue with that, but he crosses the line when constantly falls back into his dumb, audacious attacks on surly fans as "bandwagon" Astros fans. 

Yep. My dad grew up in the Bronx and moved to Houston when nasa started and that’s where I was born. My brother and I destroyed a rookie Mickey mantle signed baseball on our street because we didn’t know better. Fuck it go stros

I generally like Helobious as a poster but here he is just so blind. Oh well, I am stuck with a pro-Charlie Strong handle, so I get that we have blind spots, but I've had to neg him for crossing the line beyond fandom and into wilfull fuckery. Like when he calls out lifelong Astros fans for not packing the stands when they were going 40-122 or whatever; shit, Jim Crane made them almost impossible to watch on TV because he didn't want anyone to see that shit.  

It's really fucked up that some baseball fans take their tshirt fanaticism so far as to ruining a dude just because he called water wet. Calling out widespread cheating in baseball shouldn't freak people out like it does, but that's what happens when the clickbait media erases that "part of a much broader  issue for Major League Baseball" headline in the original Athletic reporting that broke the Astros story. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think a lot of fans are misinformed because it wasn’t just the Astros doing things,” said Keuchel before Thursday’s Astros-White Sox game, which marked the first time Keuchel has been inside Minute Maid Park since leaving as a free agent after the 2018 season. “We were kind of keeping up with the times. It’s kind of sad that it is what it is at this point and time, but I’ve moved on. Life always moves on. I’m not going to get stuck back in a past year or a past experience. It is what it is, but life moves forward. If people want to hold on to what they think is reality then I let them, but it doesn’t hurt me. I just try to move forward and try to be the best I can. I know my life here in baseball is not going to last forever and I’m trying to take advantage as best I possibly can.”

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Dallas-Keuchel-Astros-cheating-keeping-up-fans-16257242.php

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

What that chart shows you is that after the Astros cheating news came out in November 2019, a lot of pitchers said “screw it, if the hitters are cheating, I’m cheating too.”   That’s how this whole dynamic works.  It’s an arms race.

What that chart shows you is that after the Astros cheating news came out in November 2019, a lot of pitchers said “screw it, if the hitters are cheating, I’m cheating too.”   That’s how this whole dynamic works.  It’s an arms race.

More likely they just got better at cheating or more blatant.
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 5:08 AM, Guadaloopy said:

Yep, after 150 years, pitchers just started cheating last year.

tenor.gif

(or loopy was just being sarcastic.  my meter's in the shop & i can't remember his stance on this atm)

Edited by wood