2021 Non-Austin Super Regionals Thread

TrashMaster G

Sometimes I wish aggy was actually good enough to feel the pain of having your heart ripped out like what just happened to the pigs. I understand the aggy roller coaster but even they, in their little delusional minds, know they aren’t really doing anything special. Arkansas on the other hand was all that. And they won the regionals 28-11! All while being eliminated. So awesome and on brand for those cousin fucking rubes. 

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sometimes I wish aggy was actually good enough to feel the pain of having your heart ripped out like what just happened to the pigs. I understand the aggy roller coaster but even they, in their little delusional minds, know they aren’t really doing anything special. Arkansas on the other hand was all that. And they won the regionals 28-11! All while being eliminated. So awesome and on brand for those cousin fucking rubes. 

Go back to 86 (or was it 87?) when LSU came into Olsen and swept their #1 58-7 team right out of existence.  They felt it then.  Trust me.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Go back to 86 (or was it 87?) when LSU came into Olsen and swept their #1 58-7 team right out of existence.  They felt it then.  Trust me.

That was 1989. A&M was the best team in the country all season, and then they hosted their regional and just demolished everybody by crazy margins, like 20-3 type scores. Then LSU came out the losers bracket and ripped their hearts out. I remember Gustafson sarcastically asking where A&M was when Texas arrived in Omaha a week later.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

That was 1989. A&M was the best team in the country all season, and then they hosted their regional and just demolished everybody by crazy margins, like 20-3 type scores. Then LSU came out the losers bracket and ripped their hearts out. I remember Gustafson sarcastically asking where A&M was when Texas arrived in Omaha a week later.

My mind wanders...

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

GD Wichita State

• Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I love that story

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

Good goal for next season. 

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Been telling you guys all season that Arky was nothing special.

What do I win?

I said if we ran into them in the CWS they'd piss their pants once they read the letters on our shirts. I didn't think they actually wouldn't make the CWS. 

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Who are we cheering for tomorrow?  I'm definitely pulling for DBU.  And as much as I'd like SECSECSEC to only get 2 to Omaha, I think ND scares me more, so go State?

We already have Tennessee in our bracket. If they played Notre Dame it might be 18-17 or something. But it is not Mississippi State couldn't beat us. I don't know.

I guess I would just assume not have too many of those gorilla ball teams in our bracket. But can Mississippi State outscore Notre Dame tomorrow?

I am kind of intrigued by the Vandy-Arizona matchup on the other side of the bracket just because of that super high flying offense against super star pitching staff aspect.

6 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Arkie going to be bitching about Texas road to Omaha.  SEC whining in 3, 2...

How on earth would they bitch about our road? NC State wasn't even seeded and will probably be 2 and out in Omaha. Florida wasn't walking through that door and beating Texas - they couldn't even make it out of Gainesville. We got the regional winner like everyone else and they had a little spunk in game 1 and then in game 2 we took them to the fucking woodshed because we have legit tradition and don't let bullshit Cinderella stories happen on our turf. 

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

1989 that shit very much happened to them. It was the summer between 4th and 5th grade. The leader of my cub scout group was one of those Uber Aggies who named his kid Bryan Kyle. Anyways it was pretty GD funny going over to their house after LSU dismantled them. He never was quite that vociferous afterwards. 

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 1

"Where are the Aggies now?" was Gus at the end of our regional in Austin, after Aggy had lost to LSU 2 games in a row in Bryan.  He said later he was so damn tired it just came out of his mouth.  Old-timers can tell stories, evidently Coach Gus was a worrier and a non-sleeper this time of year.  He would stay up late going through all of the possible scenarios pitching matchups etc.

Still one of the greatest lines ever about a rival.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I can't recall ever having rooted for ND in anything. But I will today. New traditions! 

Yeah fuck the SEC. I want all 3 teams who beat us to open the season to miss Omaha. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

that aggy team was ridiculous -58 wins and only 7 losses (two to LSU in the regional).

they then went on to coast in the SWC tournament beating us twice (and one of those badly along with a blowout of Houston).

then the regional happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_NCAA_Division_I_Baseball_Tournament

image.thumb.png.9d011ee263a839c8432fcf6cdf8aadb3.png

I mean there's no explanation other than aggy choked. 

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

you mean GD CBS

Exactly, all that Wichita team had was Darren Driefert. Highly doubt they could have beaten us 2 in a row.   Dressendorfer was nails all year.

For the youngs on the board (and dcar00 correct me if im wrong), we were undefeated all week.  WSU had a loss, but the NCAA changed the format to a winner take all to accomodate CBS.  Today, the series finale is a best of 3 regardless.  But back then, after it was all said and done, you had a one game finale despite us not having.  Of course Dreifert (sp), was all world and we lost a close one.  KD (our ace)likely comes back for the next game if we were in today's format and we have another title on the wall.

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Like 1

In the past years, because we had not lost a game, WSU would have needed to beat us twice. Because of the ncaa and I guess CBS, winner take all. That's how I remember it being and I remember having a bad feeling going in, because of all that shit. 

46 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Exactly, all that Wichita team had was Darren Driefert. Highly doubt they could have beaten us 2 in a row.   Dressendorfer was nails all year.

For the youngs on the board (and dcar00 correct me if im wrong), we were undefeated all week.  WSU had a loss, but the NCAA changed the format to a winner take all to accomodate CBS.  Today, the series finale is a best of 3 regardless.  But back then, after it was all said and done, you had a one game finale despite us not having.  Of course Dreifert (sp), was all world and we lost a close one.  KD (our ace)likely comes back for the next game if we were in today's format and we have another title on the wall.

This is how I recall it.

16 minutes ago, Dewey said:

In the past years, because we had not lost a game, WSU would have needed to beat us twice. Because of the ncaa and I guess CBS, winner take all. That's how I remember it being and I remember having a bad feeling going in, because of all that shit. 

I kept it simple and blamed Brent Musberger.

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

that aggy team was ridiculous -58 wins and only 7 losses (two to LSU in the regional).

they then went on to coast in the SWC tournament beating us twice (and one of those badly along with a blowout of Houston).

then the regional happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_NCAA_Division_I_Baseball_Tournament

image.thumb.png.9d011ee263a839c8432fcf6cdf8aadb3.png

I mean there's no explanation other than aggy choked. 

'Twas glorious.

Also reminds me of how much I miss those 6-team regionals.  They were so much fun.

Overall I like the symmetry of the current format with a 4-team double-elimination tournament in the regional, followed by a best of 3, followed by another 4-team double elimination tournament on your half of the CWS, followed by a final best of 3 series.

But having 6 different fan bases in town mixing it up and the longer regional format, was pretty awesome.

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

'Twas glorious.

Also reminds me of how much I miss those 6-team regionals.  They were so much fun.

Overall I like the symmetry of the current format with a 4-team double-elimination tournament in the regional, followed by a best of 3, followed by another 4-team double elimination tournament on your half of the CWS, followed by a final best of 3 series.

But having 6 different fan bases in town mixing it up and the longer regional format, was pretty awesome.

Agree 100%.  Those six-team Regionals were brutal on pitching staffs, but so much fun.

• Hook 'Em 1