T22 (and other fried chicken)

South Austin

17 minutes ago, staboner said:

what is T22 like? Crispier? Spicier? I know its Nashville style right, but I don't know WTF that means

i like fried fucking chicken

I'm not sure what Nashville style means either, but I taste a lot of cayenne, garlic and paprika.  They serve the chicken with butter pickles, which are sweet pickles, which is a stupid way of making pickles.

And I agree with Biff. Lucy's on Burnet has been our go-to (they have a great southern chef salad — gasp!), and Youngblood was meh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Gus's was pretty solid, though obviously not as good as the original in Memphis.  I like Lucy's personally.  JT Youngbloods...overrated.

Was? Did Gus close? I enjoy both and Gus and Lucy’s. Also thought JT Youngbird was nothing special and they put brown gravy on a chicken fried chicken. 

7 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Was? Did Gus close? I enjoy both and Gus and Lucy’s. Also thought JT Youngbird was nothing special and they put brown gravy on a chicken fried chicken. 

No, just using past tense as in, last time I ate there it was good.

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

I'm not sure what Nashville style means either, but I taste a lot of cayenne, garlic and paprika.  They serve the chicken with butter pickles, which are sweet pickles, which is a stupid way of making pickles.

And I agree with Biff. Lucy's on Burnet has been our go-to (they have a great southern chef salad — gasp!), and Youngblood was meh.

Definitely a stupid way of making pickles.  Just got back from Youngbloods again to give it a fair chance.  It's ok, but nothing at all to write home about.

i did t22 right after they opened on burnet.  i thought it was excellent chicken, maybe a little better than lucy's. could not eat there all the time as i just don't agree with the marketing plan. elevating fried chicken. hmmm.   $32 for an 8-piece is just not sustainable.  it's better than popeye's, but not that much better.  e

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 8:06 AM, thrillhammer said:

i did t22 right after they opened on burnet.  i thought it was excellent chicken, maybe a little better than lucy's. could not eat there all the time as i just don't agree with the marketing plan. elevating fried chicken. hmmm.   $32 for an 8-piece is just not sustainable.  it's better than popeye's, but not that much better.  e

false and dumb. the 8 pc  is $24, right there on the menu, and it comes with 3 sides. and it's way better than Popeyes. cmon man.

I REALLY liked T22 and I thought the pricing was better than most other chicken joints. In fact, I'd call it fairly inexpensive. I fuckin LOVE Nashville hot chicken, so even better. 

I actually really like JT Youngbloods a lot and go there often. Also, I think Lucy's sucks, so base my recommendation on that if you will.

17 hours ago, Gourmand said:

false and dumb. the 8 pc  is $24, right there on the menu, and it comes with 3 sides. and it's way better than Popeyes. cmon man.

popeye's is have that. and no, t22 is not that much better or that much hotter even.  it's good, don't get me wrong, and for sure better than popeyes.  and another thing, popeye's sides are better.  their biscuits, their red beans and rice, their dirty rice.  way better sides than t22.  

i'll have to try jt youngbloods next.

when they're on their game, lucy's is my favorite.  but man i've had it a couple times where it's been really bad-  overfried and dry.  gus's is consistent and they're good but i personally don't prefer them.  we still manage to get there pretty often though.  jt youngblood's we've only been once and it was underwhelming.  

On 5/24/2018 at 12:23 AM, Hank_Hill said:

T22 isn’t that much hotter than Popeyes? The fuck outta here.

yeah, that is so far off its laughable.  the medium ("dang hot") is exponentially hotter (and better) than anything  ay popeye's.  and i like popeye's just fine - its good for fast food (despite the tiny pieces they serve).  i've had T22 about a dozen times and its far and aways the best chicken in austin - always straight out of the fryer, steam coming off it hot, incredibly juicy - and great spice.  the chicken "oysters" are also amazing.  i do wish they'd up their game on their sides.  

i want to like lucy's but i think the chicken is probably the worst thing on the menu.  very bland.  needs salt.

tried jt youngbloods once, was pretty good.  would eat it again but wouldn't drive across town for it.

On 5/31/2018 at 4:50 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I was about to ask if anybody had eaten at Flyrite, then I looked at the menu and saw it was sandwiches and tenders only.  WTF?  Are they aiming for Chik-Fil-A?

The Cowboy sandwich at Flyrite is legit...spicy fried chicken with cheese, bacon, jalapenos.

19 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I think they are aiming to be chik-fil-a plus beer, plus sundays, plus local. Not a bad strategy imo.

Judging by the parking lot when I drive by, they might want to come up with a backup plan.

• Like 1

popped in finally.

my friend tends bar, so that helps things....but

good bird. had the bone in. got the dang hot and twas good. i like it better than lucys. i'd say a bit crummy for my liking, meaning the extra power/spice they use can show up a bit clumpy both in terms of texture and taste. i would assume the regular hot is probably damn good too and i don't believe they add the spice layer to it in such an extreme fashion

sides good but not great. mac and cheese good, hot chips not so much. chips also a bit powdery and you will inhale the shit too and start coughing

most the regulars i met (and my friend) don't even eat the bone in and instead eat thee sammich, the OG. they are adamant about it fantasticness. will have to try that mug out soon

19 hours ago, staboner said:

popped in finally.

my friend tends bar, so that helps things....but

good bird. had the bone in. got the dang hot and twas good. i like it better than lucys. i'd say a bit crummy for my liking, meaning the extra power/spice they use can show up a bit clumpy both in terms of texture and taste. i would assume the regular hot is probably damn good too and i don't believe they add the spice layer to it in such an extreme fashion

sides good but not great. mac and cheese good, hot chips not so much. chips also a bit powdery and you will inhale the shit too and start coughing

most the regulars i met (and my friend) don't even eat the bone in and instead eat thee sammich, the OG. they are adamant about it fantasticness. will have to try that mug out soon

I agree with your friends. Gus’s bone in better buy OG is my top chicken sandwich in town right now. Open for challengers. 

*Fire in the hole = Pluckers hot. 

On 6/13/2018 at 5:54 PM, staboner said:

try the oysters (dark meat tenders) too - they are absolutely incredible.   T-22 is the one and only place that i would ever consider chicken "tenders" over bone-in bird, if i have the choice

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, Jack Straw said:

T-22 is the one and only place that i would ever consider chicken "tenders" over bone-in bird, if i have the choice

I went with the tenders on Saturday, and agree. 

With they had a slightly bigger beer selection.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy's just opened a Cedar Park location a week ago and I tried it.  Chicken was extremely dry, and bland.  Exactly the same as the one time I tried the Burnet location.  Don't feel the need to go back.

Gus's on the other hand is fantastic, and I still  need to try T22.

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Lucy's just opened a Cedar Park location a week ago and I tried it.  Chicken was extremely dry, and bland.  Exactly the same as the one time I tried the Burnet location.  Don't feel the need to go back.

Gus's on the other hand is fantastic, and I still  need to try T22.

I want to like it but it’s dry and bland every time.

On 7/9/2018 at 7:05 PM, Jack Straw said:

after several visits, i've decided that the T-22 trailer is just a lot better than the brick and mortar.  my .02

How does that even happen?  How hard is it to get 2 locations to make the same recipe the same way?

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

How does that even happen?  How hard is it to get 2 locations to make the same recipe the same way?

Actually, it's not nearly as easy as you'd think given the BOH labor shortage in Austin. There's a gazillion restaurants hiring and they're lucky if they can even get applicants, let alone qualified ones at that. Consistently good fried chicken is not easy to pull off, not at least to the expectations of this thread. There are a number of hurdles to overcome, but unless you have conscientious employees who give a shit, it's basically a crap shoot depending on time of day and level of business. 

The obvious answer is to increase wages to attract more qualified workers and hold on to the good ones already employed, but restaurant margins are notoriously thin as it is. The only way to sustain this is to increase menu prices, but places like Lucy's, Gus's and T-22 are held to an absurd expectation that they should price their food like KFC or Popeye's just because they serve fried chicken. 

The ugly truth is the general dining public is completely unreasonable about the cost of food in full service restaurants. Some of the criticisms here are illustrative of that fact. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been championing T22 since the first day they opened their food truck, but I agree the Burnet location lacks the quality and consistency as the trailer.  

Two weeks ago I had TERRIBLE bird at Burnet.  Had Tumble not built up so much goodwill with me and my family over the past two years, I would have never gone back after that experience.