T22 (and other fried chicken)

South Austin

On 7/10/2018 at 10:50 PM, Gourmand said:

Actually, it's not nearly as easy as you'd think given the BOH labor shortage in Austin. There's a gazillion restaurants hiring and they're lucky if they can even get applicants, let alone qualified ones at that. Consistently good fried chicken is not easy to pull off, not at least to the expectations of this thread. There are a number of hurdles to overcome, but unless you have conscientious employees who give a shit, it's basically a crap shoot depending on time of day and level of business. 

i get what you're saying, but popeyes, church's, and kfc have at a minimum figured out consistency.

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2018 at 5:54 PM, staboner said:

popped in finally.

my friend tends bar, so that helps things....but

good bird. had the bone in. got the dang hot and twas good. i like it better than lucys. i'd say a bit crummy for my liking, meaning the extra power/spice they use can show up a bit clumpy both in terms of texture and taste. i would assume the regular hot is probably damn good too and i don't believe they add the spice layer to it in such an extreme fashion

sides good but not great. mac and cheese good, hot chips not so much. chips also a bit powdery and you will inhale the shit too and start coughing

most the regulars i met (and my friend) don't even eat the bone in and instead eat thee sammich, the OG. they are adamant about it fantasticness. will have to try that mug out soon

Tell your friends to pass on to management that there is no good reason for NOT having the “chicken oysters” at the B&M location, like they do at the trailer.  It’s like an order of tenders, but with boneless, skin ON chicken thighs.  They are amazing.  I have no clue why they don’t feature them at T22.  I mean, they fry boneless thighs for one of their sandwiches.

4 hours ago, scottsins said:

Tell your friends to pass on to management that there is no good reason for NOT having the “chicken oysters” at the B&M location, like they do at the trailer.  It’s like an order of tenders, but with boneless, skin ON chicken thighs.  They are amazing.  I have no clue why they don’t feature them at T22.  I mean, they fry boneless thighs for one of their sandwiches.

preach

On 7/9/2018 at 3:17 PM, utee94 said:

Lucy's just opened a Cedar Park location a week ago and I tried it.  Chicken was extremely dry, and bland.  Exactly the same as the one time I tried the Burnet location.  Don't feel the need to go back.

Gus's on the other hand is fantastic, and I still  need to try T22.

Finally got to the Burnet T22 for lunch today, and it was pretty great.  Had the mixed 4-piece bone-in (known elsewhere as half a bird) 'mo hot spicy level, and it was quite delicious.  I coulda gone hotter but the 'mo hot had good heat and flavor.

Overall I'd put it right next to Gus's, both are quite tasty.

Next time I'm in I'll try the OG sammich.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The best damn thing about Tumble is the killer Margaritas... the Big Larry in particular, We go to Burnet a fair amount, and it's one of our faves now.  But how many days a week do you want to eat spicy chicken?  Everyday is the answer...  But... bowels....

They have a smoking happy hour deal, and took over the Lake Austin Magnolia cafe location.

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

it’s a crutch, and you’re wrong.  bone-in chicken does not need to be spicy. 

It doesn't need to be spicy, but it's delicious when it is.

Just like your mayo take, you are wrong on this one as well.  Just sit there in your wrongness and be wrong.

21 hours ago, utee94 said:

Negative, spicy chicken batter is delicious and a gift from the gods.

FYI — the batter itself is not spicy in hot chicken.  There is some spice added to the flour and milk (just as you would for most fried chicken recipes), but the real heat is added after the frying process.

On 9/10/2020 at 1:49 PM, futureman said:

it’s a crutch, and you’re wrong.  bone-in chicken does not need to be spicy. 

this is not a good take. 

fried chicken is great.*  spicy fried chicken is even better.*

*and the worst piece of dark meat chicken is better than the best piece of white meat chicken

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

^ FACT

I've been to the Lake Austin Blvd. location a handful of times since they opened. It's damn nice having them back in the area. Their trailer behind Star Bar was a regular-ish lunch spot for work since it was a close walk to the office and we certainly missed having it as an option. 

Each location seems to have a noticeable variation in heat for the same named spice levels. The trailer seemed to have the hottest version of each spice level where the Burnet location was a little more mild... and Lake Austin Blvd. seems the most mild of each spice level between the three. That's not a complaint, simply an observation. 

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

There's already a fried chicken thread. Really don't think we need two.

Shut down the other one.

Regarding T22 -- finally tried it.  Pretty tasty.  Got "Wimpy" for the 6 YO, which was OK, and "Hot" for the rest of us, which was definitely a step up, although it felt like more heat than flavor.  Will get "Mo' Hot" next time.

Now I'm feeling like it will be lunch tomorrow.

Hi Wings is legit.  Got the Korean Style Fried Chicken with Sriracha BBQ sauce, wings with peach habanero, and wings with honey ginger.  Agree with 4th and Five that the peach habanero was more sweet than spicy.  I passed the garlic dishes.  I was with the ladyfriend, and garlic would've turned me into a pipe organ in bed all night. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/28/2020 at 1:12 PM, Shaggybevo said:

I love Randall's fried chicken from their deli.  They have Kickin Chicken special on Mondays - a bucket for $5.99 with a Randall's Remarkable card.  Bucket is eight piece:  two wings, two thighs, two legs, two breasts. 

50 pieces for $59.99.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 6:36 PM, Nonbryan said:

PSA warning....the T22 in Cedar Park by Costco has had HORRIBLE service last last couple of times I have been there.  It's so bad that I'm avoiding it now.  Buyer beware.

The one on Burnet has also been pretty bad the last couple of times I've been. I hope it's not a trend.