Southwest or every other airline in the history of the world?

closetohumping

Southwest or Every other airline in the history of the world  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Speaking of polls, I had sex with South_Austin's mom

• Southwest boarding sucks
    • Love Southwest boarding practices

1 hour ago, JGrayDBU said:

Which airline do you guys prefer to go...DFW or DAL to San Diego?  one-way. 

Thx

Doing that run in July. Pretty sure we're on Southwest. The "positive" thing is our flight out there is so fucking early in the morning, there's no way of them bumping us to an earlier flight unless they want us to go the day before!

On 5/11/2022 at 11:21 AM, Brisketexan said:

We take an annual family trip out to SOCAL -- Laguna Beach.  Typically fly via LAX, sometimes SAN.  Until last year, it was always SWA (which I flew a lot for work, and thus had points).  Last year, AA had better schedule, and better price.  This year, all the prices were up, and none of the schedules were great.  I bounced around among all the options, and ended up booking on SWA (with points, so that's nice) to and from.....Long Beach.  Never flown in or out of there, so this will be a new experience for us.  Was able to at least get a non-stop out there, so that's nice enough.  Will see how the trip goes.

The one time I flew in and out of Long Beach was on Jet Blue, and it was fine.  Small airport but seemed relatively new and clean . . . at least compared to Burbank and LAX.  Relatively uncrowded.  I'd call it a win over LAX.  You're very close to the 405 for your drive down to Laguna, and you'll be closer to your destination than if you flew into LAX, which has always been crowded but in the past few years has become even more of a zoo.  I avoid LAX unless it's substantially cheaper than the alternative or there's just no other choice.  

FWIW, I did not know that Southwest flew in and out of Long Beach until I read your post.  Looks like it started a little over a year ago.  I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm thinking about flying SW.  

41 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

The one time I flew in and out of Long Beach was on Jet Blue, and it was fine.  Small airport but seemed relatively new and clean . . . at least compared to Burbank and LAX.  Relatively uncrowded.  I'd call it a win over LAX.  You're very close to the 405 for your drive down to Laguna, and you'll be closer to your destination than if you flew into LAX, which has always been crowded but in the past few years has become even more of a zoo.  I avoid LAX unless it's substantially cheaper than the alternative or there's just no other choice.  

FWIW, I did not know that Southwest flew in and out of Long Beach until I read your post.  Looks like it started a little over a year ago.  I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm thinking about flying SW.  

Jet Blue bailed out of LGB. 

12 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I’d use them for flights to the Caribbean or Mexico.  You can be pretty sure those are going to be direct non stop especially if you are flying out of Hobby.    I think even SAT and ABIA have a handful of SWA direct flights to Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo.   

Yup. I hate their flight schedules for my flight but we’ve started flying them Corpus to Hobby to Costa Rica just so we don’t have to deal with IAH. Even when United is cheaper, and it usually is. The return flight pays for itself  since it’s always the only flight trying to go thru customs/immigration. I’m pretty sure it’s never taken us more than 10 minutes to get past security and to our gate for corpus.

Edited by justhookit

11 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yup. I hate their flight schedules for my flight but we’ve started flying them Corpus to Hobby to Costa Rica just so we don’t have to deal with IAH. Even when United is cheaper, and it usually is. The return flight pays for itself  since it’s always the only flight trying to go thru customs/immigration. I’m pretty sure it’s never taken us more than 10 minutes to get past security and to our gate for corpus.

Agreed.   I live in Corpus ( at least for three more years) and the international schedules are pretty good for most of the major destinations from Hobby  from what I've observed, save for a few destinations I've checked.  Mainly on the return flights where the layovers can be four or five hours from Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, justhookit said:

I hate SWA but that flight from Hobby to San Jose is great.  

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I hate SWA but that flight from Hobby to San Jose is great.  

It’s so much better than IAH. I just hate that it arrives at night. There have been rumors of a direct flight from Austin for awhile now but Covid seems to have killed that. They also were breaking ground on a hotel there at the marina when we left. We’ll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — A couple flying from Denver to Detroit ended up stranded in Las Vegas after last-minute flight changes from Spirit Airlines.

Gary Goetzinger said he and his wife had to sleep at Harry Reid International Airport after poor communication that followed their Spirit flight this week. He estimated more than 200 other passengers were also affected by the change.

Their flight to Detroit was rerouted to Las Vegas, and when they arrived, they were met with more delays that interfered with getting a direct flight to Detroit. Today, Spirit paid for their Southwest Airlines flight to Houston as they made their way home. Next up, they fly to Columbus, Ohio, where they will rent a car and drive more than three hours to Detroit.

They were splitting the cost of the rental car with another couple, Wayne and Eileen Jones, who were in the same situation. They all missed work on Tuesday as the odyssey continued.

Attempts to get an explanation from Spirit were not answered immediately.

Goetzinger said they were told that the air crew “timed out” and were unable to staff the flight. That was after everyone was boarded and put on the plane. The Spirit flight was on the way to the runway and turned around. A backup crew summoned to take the flight declined, according to Goetzinger.

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/spirit-airlines-flight-changes-strand-passengers-in-las-vegas/

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

Holy shit

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — A couple flying from Denver to Detroit ended up stranded in Las Vegas after last-minute flight changes from Spirit Airlines.

Gary Goetzinger said he and his wife had to sleep at Harry Reid International Airport after poor communication that followed their Spirit flight this week. He estimated more than 200 other passengers were also affected by the change.

Their flight to Detroit was rerouted to Las Vegas, and when they arrived, they were met with more delays that interfered with getting a direct flight to Detroit. Today, Spirit paid for their Southwest Airlines flight to Houston as they made their way home. Next up, they fly to Columbus, Ohio, where they will rent a car and drive more than three hours to Detroit.

They were splitting the cost of the rental car with another couple, Wayne and Eileen Jones, who were in the same situation. They all missed work on Tuesday as the odyssey continued.

Goetzinger said they were told that the air crew “timed out” and were unable to staff the flight. That was after everyone was boarded and put on the plane. The Spirit flight was on the way to the runway and turned around. A backup crew summoned to take the flight declined, according to Goetzinger.

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/spirit-airlines-flight-changes-strand-passengers-in-las-vegas/

Who doesn't want to fall asleep to the sounds of slot machines bellowing in the distance?  Fuck Spirit and Frontier.  Hard no. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

You get what you pay for

have had this happen (pilot crew 'timed out') on SWA in March.  Last flight out of Love going to SLC that kept getting delayed and delayed until we boarded and were about get in the take off pattern when the co-pilot timed out.  I guess they found another co-pilot because we did eventually take off about 2 hours later.  supposed to land at 11:30pm and landed at 2:30ish AM

while we are bitching at SWA, on the return flight, we were not able to get a direct from SLC to Dallas.  had a stop in Denver.  the SLC to Denver leg kept getting delayed.  we land about 10 minutes after the posted flight time for the Denver to Dallas flight and rush to the gate.  They did not hold that flight for the 10-15 people that needed it.  This was Saturday afternoon and they said the next flight back to Dallas would be Monday afternoon.  After raising a little heck, we are able to split our fam up and get 2 seats on the last flight out that night with 2 standby.  then 2 guaranteed seats the following morning at 6am with a voucher for a shitty hotel.

- Son and i were on standby and watched SWA hold that flight and delay it by 45 minutes so that connecting passengers could make it.  Fuck that, why start that now when they screwed us over.

21 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

have had this happen (pilot crew 'timed out') on SWA in March.  Last flight out of Love going to SLC that kept getting delayed and delayed until we boarded and were about get in the take off pattern when the co-pilot timed out.  I guess they found another co-pilot because we did eventually take off about 2 hours later.  supposed to land at 11:30pm and landed at 2:30ish AM

while we are bitching at SWA, on the return flight, we were not able to get a direct from SLC to Dallas.  had a stop in Denver.  the SLC to Denver leg kept getting delayed.  we land about 10 minutes after the posted flight time for the Denver to Dallas flight and rush to the gate.  They did not hold that flight for the 10-15 people that needed it.  This was Saturday afternoon and they said the next flight back to Dallas would be Monday afternoon.  After raising a little heck, we are able to split our fam up and get 2 seats on the last flight out that night with 2 standby.  then 2 guaranteed seats the following morning at 6am with a voucher for a shitty hotel.

- Son and i were on standby and watched SWA hold that flight and delay it by 45 minutes so that connecting passengers could make it.  Fuck that, why start that now when they screwed us over.

What was that well publicized fiasco where the flight crew backup was stuck in Louisville?  It was where the Asian dude got beat up?

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Our son was flying into dfw and storms caused them to divert to Abilene around 9:00 pm. Pilots timed out in the process and he had to spend the night in the airport until about noon, when they could fly again. 

I was on a delta flight once and we were already a few hours delayed. Everyone was boarded and we were pushing back when they timed out. Funny thing was we got notifications on our phones before the pilots had been informed. I got to spend 12 more hours in ATL after that. 

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Our son was flying into dfw and storms caused them to divert to Abilene around 9:00 pm. Pilots timed out in the process and he had to spend the night in the airport until about noon, when they could fly again. 

So he spent 15 hours in an airport that is 2.5 hours driving distance from his destination? 

30 minutes ago, royiv said:

So he spent 15 hours in an airport that is 2.5 hours driving distance from his destination? 

Yup, but everything was shut down at the airport, including the car rental places. He thought about trying to get a bus, but the next one wasn't until the morning. 

+1 to many of these stories. We flew SWA 90% of the time the past decade in Austin. This past year in Houston, United or AA (and often JetBlue) are always cheaper than SWA by $100+. I hate AA so much, they are putting my ass in a middle seat on Friday because after I paid extra to pick my seat, all aisle and window seats are considered premium for an extra $94. Fuck you AA, Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban, and anyone else associated with your brand. 

So wait, you are already saving $100+ to fly on AA or United, but you won’t pay $94 to get a decent seat? And that’s AA’s fault?

I get that AA has its own set of problems, but I would almost always pick the AA flight over SWA, especially if price is similar and that includes a premium seat on AA.

SWA boarding practices are insane to me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

So all these people who get delayed 8-12 hours are they not aware that there are hotels near pretty much every airport?

For me they kept putting me on standby and I kept getting bumped. It was during the big delta computer outage. They also ran out of food vouchers and hotel rooms anywhere close. 

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

They did not hold that flight for the 10-15 people that needed it.

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Son and i were on standby and watched SWA hold that flight and delay it by 45 minutes so that connecting passengers could make it.  Fuck that, why start that now when they screwed us over.

There are so many moving parts that dictate when a flight gets held and when it doesn’t.  Typically it’s about the total number of people who will be screwed down the line.   If holding a flight is going to cause 20 other people to miss a connection then they aren’t going to hold it for less than that many passengers. They’ll also look at connections 3-4 flights down the line in that same airplane including the next morning.  Holding it for one group can screw over lots of others. Morning flights are less likely to be held than evening flights because you’re affecting 10 other flights later that day if you do. The days of “we’ll make It up in the air with shortcuts” are over.  Every flight is already flying as fast as possible. If the crew is close to timing out they won’t hold it no matter what. If there’s weather moving in at either airport or anywhere in between they might hold or not hold to hit a window of better weather.  if the airplane is due for maintenance at the end of the night and that procedure is known to take X number of hours and a late start would delay the first flight the next day… yada yada yada.  It’s almost never about a single family’s situation. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

There are so many moving parts that dictate when a flight gets held and when it doesn’t.  Typically it’s about the total number of people who will be screwed down the line.   If holding a flight is going to cause 20 other people to miss a connection then they aren’t going to hold it for less than that many passengers. They’ll also look at connections 3-4 flights down the line in that same airplane including the next morning.  Holding it for one group can screw over lots of others. Morning flights are less likely to be held than evening flights because you’re affecting 10 other flights later that day if you do. The days of “we’ll make It up in the air with shortcuts” are over.  Every flight is already flying as fast as possible. If the crew is close to timing out they won’t hold it no matter what. If there’s weather moving in at either airport or anywhere in between they might hold or not hold to hit a window of better weather.  if the airplane is due for maintenance at the end of the night and that procedure is known to take X number of hours and a late start would delay the first flight the next day… yada yada yada.  It’s almost never about a single family’s situation. 

Back in November, AA was having a cluster fuck of a weekend for some reason or another.  I think it had to do with FA's.  We were flying back on vacation on a 787 from PHX to DFW.  I shit you not there were at least 30 FA's on that flight and a few pilots.  Needless to say, if any flight in the network took off, it was that one.

10 hours ago, RPM said:

Holy shit

I'm sure there are numerous non stops per day between Denver (a hub for United, SWA, and Frontier) and Detroit (Delta hub).  Why they're even looking at anything with a layover if butt fucking retarded.

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Also, when will SWA give in and be a part of third party booking sites?  You ain't special.  On that note, best site I've used is Kayak but open to other opinions.

Google Flights but book direct with any airline. And I thiiiiink Southwest is now on Expedia or something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Google Flights but book direct with any airline. And I thiiiiink Southwest is now on Expedia or something. 

I used to double check swa after using google flights, but it’s been so long since they were close to competitive on price that I don’t even bother anymore.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I used to be a big SWA fan but if they're not price competitive, why would anyone choose a multi stop SWA flight over a non stop from another airline?

Southwest was great, even with their boarding process, when every flight wasnt 100% full and cheap flights werent fully booked 3 months ahead of time. Now they are always more expensive than other options when I check, so i default to Jet Blue direct when I can for the limited flights I take. 

Trying to book some summer/ fall tickets now and the prices have all gone nuts. I get it, jet fuel aint cheap right now and the airlines probably have labor issues as well. But as I dont do a lot of flying, I dont have shit for status, so the entire flying process sucks balls. I dread the entire experience, from airport shitshows to jam packed and delayed flights. 

26 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I used to be a big SWA fan but if they're not price competitive, why would anyone choose a multi stop SWA flight over a non stop from another airline?

A lot of Dallasites would rather fly out of Love Field if all other factors are close to being equal.  I spend more on the Uber rides to and from DFW, and have to allocate more time getting out there and back, but the math has worked in DFWs favor for the last 5-6 years.

20 hours ago, Your Mom said:

CSB Waaay back in the day, I was boarded on a UAL from LAX to HNL, sitting at the gate.  They announce that they are holding the flight for connections from Denver.  I am in 3B or so, not minding the wait due to the upgrade.  There's a blonde bimbo behind me squealing on and on 'oh they're holding the flight for my baby, please hold the flight for my baby, my baby needs to get on' I'm not exaggerating, that's almost verbatim.  I feel bad for her, thinking it's her kid, of course she's gonna be worried.  So we sit there for like 45 minutes, and finally one guy gets on from the Denver flight.  It's Pat Bowlen, owner of the Broncos.  Bimbo squeals "there's my baby, there's my baby!"

So yeah I'm pretty sure the flight was held just for him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

A lot of Dallasites would rather fly out of Love Field if all other factors are close to being equal.  I spend more on the Uber rides to and from DFW, and have to allocate more time getting out there and back, but the math has worked in DFWs favor for the last 5-6 years.

Depends how much you fly. 
I’m an every week guy so non-stops are 1st. 2nd is upgrades. 3rd is Admirals club. 4th is free international flights to more than Cancun and Belize etc, etc. 

Love is closer to the house but that 20 minutes becomes 3-4hrs of torture. 

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

I’m an every week guy so non-stops are 1st. 2nd is upgrades. 3rd is Admirals club. 4th is free international flights to more than Cancun and Belize etc, etc. 

I’m a 6xish a year guy currently, all leisure, but I’m going to be at least triple that in a few months, as I’m moving, but will have to come back to Dallas a few times per month.  That’s probably not enough to get me any juice with AA.  We are vigilant hoarders of CC points for our leisure travel. We paid for our honeymoon with CC points with a very few expensive exceptions.  If I am somewhere else and have to come back to the Dallas office, which is much closer to Love than DFW, are you still telling me you prefer DFW?  I guess I’ll have to live it for a month and figure it out for myself.

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m a 6xish a year guy currently, all leisure, but I’m going to be at least triple that in a few months, as I’m moving, but will have to come back to Dallas a few times per month.  That’s probably not enough to get me any juice with AA.  We are vigilant hoarders of CC points for our leisure travel. We paid for our honeymoon with CC points with a very few expensive exceptions.  If I am somewhere else and have to come back to the Dallas office, which is much closer to Love than DFW, are you still telling me you prefer DFW?  I guess I’ll have to live it for a month and figure it out for myself.

I’m a 40-45 weeks a year. Monday out Friday or Thursday back. 6 times a year I wouldn’t sweat it. 45 times a year adds up to take least painful options. Also Admirals club is great for a rest and during irrops they know all the tricks to get u something different. 
Unless u can buy 1st every trip the pain adds up over a year. 

53 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

I’m a 40-45 weeks a year. Monday out Friday or Thursday back. 6 times a year I wouldn’t sweat it. 45 times a year adds up to take least painful options. Also Admirals club is great for a rest and during irrops they know all the tricks to get u something different. 

Damn. I feel like my job is turning into this and it is starting to get tiring. I finally canceled a trip next week because I didn’t want to be flying 4 weeks in a row and because I would be going to Philadelphia. 

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Damn. I feel like my job is turning into this and it is starting to get tiring. I finally canceled a trip next week because I didn’t want to be flying 4 weeks in a row and because I would be going to Philadelphia. 

Don’t sweat it. Pretty soon your SO will ask “you’ve been home for 2 weeks. Don’t you have somewhere to go.”  
(meanwhile Pablo is also asking same question. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, shakahorn said:

CSB Waaay back in the day, I was boarded on a UAL from LAX to HNL, sitting at the gate.  They announce that they are holding the flight for connections from Denver.  I am in 3B or so, not minding the wait due to the upgrade.  There's a blonde bimbo behind me squealing on and on 'oh they're holding the flight for my baby, please hold the flight for my baby, my baby needs to get on' I'm not exaggerating, that's almost verbatim.  I feel bad for her, thinking it's her kid, of course she's gonna be worried.  So we sit there for like 45 minutes, and finally one guy gets on from the Denver flight.  It's Pat Bowlen, owner of the Broncos.  Bimbo squeals "there's my baby, there's my baby!"

So yeah I'm pretty sure the flight was held just for him.

Pics aren't loading.

16 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Yeah, the extra 20-30 minutes to get to DFW far outweigh the 2-4 hours a connection can add on and that's if everything goes smoothly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure which thread to use for general aviation hilarity, almost put this in the "news that reminds you of Surly" thread:

https://www.secretflying.com/posts/girl-almost-dies-on-ba-flight-after-fellow-passenger-refused-to-stop-eating-nuts/

FWIW I've never agreed with not serving nuts on a flight because one person was allergic. They can travel a different way or bring a positive pressure filtered rebreather, it's their health problem.

Flight was from London to Antigua. What different way should she have traveled?

Also….what the fucking fuck is wrong with people. “Sir, I know you have a delicious snack, but eating it onboard will jeopardize the health of a fellow passenger, and may interfere with the flight. Can I interest you in some crackers instead?” “No, fuck you and her, I wanna eat peanuts!”
What the fuck? Why can’t we be decent and make the tiniest of sacrifice to help another person?
We are a fucked up species.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Not sure which thread to use for general aviation hilarity, almost put this in the "news that reminds you of Surly" thread:

https://www.secretflying.com/posts/girl-almost-dies-on-ba-flight-after-fellow-passenger-refused-to-stop-eating-nuts/

FWIW I've never agreed with not serving nuts on a flight because one person was allergic. They can travel a different way or bring a positive pressure filtered rebreather, it's their health problem.

Yeah, I'm going to call bullshit on the story. That's not how peanut allergies work, certainly not ones requiring multiple epi-pen injections from someone else eating peanuts 10 rows away.

adding... yeah the guy is still a jerk, I love peanuts too... but cmon man it's not that long a flight

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also….what the fucking fuck is wrong with people. “Sir, I know you have a delicious snack, but eating it onboard will jeopardize the health of a fellow passenger, and may interfere with the flight. Can I interest you in some crackers instead?” “No, fuck you and her, I wanna eat peanuts!”
What the fuck? Why can’t we be decent and make the tiniest of sacrifice to help another person?
We are a fucked up species.

I align with this. “Oh you’re allergic to peanuts?   Crackers will be fine””

On 6/9/2022 at 12:03 AM, Sam Lin said:

Am I the only one who didn't realize someone could die from a nut from 30 feet away?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/26/2022 at 6:26 PM, Shaddie said:

Jesus Christ you're in airplanes more than me.

Everyone else is skirting around it but I’m just gonna say it.

Lmao you are an enormous cunt.
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1