Austin Mass Shooting

Guest Lobo

6 hours ago, 3adays said:

I like this little editor’s note from the Statesman on why they didnn’t include the description of the shooters in their story. It’s only “harmful in perpetuating stereotypes” when it doesn’t fit their narrative. I have a feeling if the description was “white biker in leather vest” they would’ve run with it. 

Editor's note: Police have only released a vague description of the suspected shooter as of Saturday morning. The Austin American-Statesman is not including the description as it is too vague at this time to be useful in identifying the shooter and such publication could be harmful in perpetuating stereotypes. If more detailed information is released, we will update our reporting.

2-7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, 3adays said:

I like this little editor’s note from the Statesman on why they didnn’t include the description of the shooters in their story. It’s only “harmful in perpetuating stereotypes” when it doesn’t fit their narrative. I have a feeling if the description was “white biker in leather vest” they would’ve run with it. 

Editor's note: Police have only released a vague description of the suspected shooter as of Saturday morning. The Austin American-Statesman is not including the description as it is too vague at this time to be useful in identifying the shooter and such publication could be harmful in perpetuating stereotypes. If more detailed information is released, we will update our reporting.

Reminds me of this:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

JFC.

And yet here was the Statesman in 2018 in looking for the bomber - there was no suspect but the paper had no problem stereotyping then.  Hmmm...I wonder why?

For investigators, a race to decode hidden message in Austin bombings - News - Austin American-Statesman - Austin, TX

Still, researchers have identified some broad characteristics that police turn to in trying to identify deadly bombers. All have been white men. While they have varied educational attainment, they were of above-average intelligence and mechanically inclined.

Almost always, they were furious.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Isn't it too soon to speculate on what happened? I thought we didn't speculate anymore.

Well, since the suspect may be off-white, discussion will steer towards a crime problem, not a precious 2nd amendment or police abuse debate.  So Art says, speculate away!

austin-police-chief-art-acevedo.jpg

2 hours ago, freyguy said:

Well, since the suspect may be off-white, discussion will steer towards a crime problem, not a precious 2nd amendment or police abuse debate.  So Art says, speculate away!

austin-police-chief-art-acevedo.jpg

In Austin?

Vince Vaughn GIF

This will only be about gun ownership and gun laws. Not the large rise in violent crime in the city. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

This is just a weird story all around as to how it's playing out.  13 people shot and the prime local coverage (TV news) was about 5-6 mins. max at first.  The follow-up local stories were a little longer yesterday, about 8-10 minutes, but some of that was auxiliary stuff (tangentially-related stories).  It's diminished on the local buttwipe page to barely a lead story.

Part of it is that this is just reduced to an elevated bar fight between (apparently) two dildos with pistols too stupid to barely breathe, but man the facts on this thing are moving slower than a Greg Davis offense.  

WTF?

Rumor time. Totally unsubstantiated but I’ll post it anyway because maybe..2 subjects in a argument fired at each other but only hitting bystanders. Heard it started in bar then went to the street but that doesn’t line up with also hearing the 2 were 16 and 18 year olds. Would make some sense why they aren’t releasing the name if the one arrested is 16. The jail doesn’t publish underage inmates online but you can look them up on vinelink. 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Remember when you said this to the first few posts whose ideologies you agree with?  

Didn’t even see that post. But you’re probably right. My brain assumed it was okay. Just called out the two posts that were obviously made trying to stir shit up 

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Didn’t even see that post. But you’re probably right. My brain assumed it was okay. Just called out the two posts that were obviously made trying to stir shit up 

wait, stirring up shit isn't allowed on surly?

I’m all for it, but it gets called out sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t. It’s weird.

And Judge, I completely agree. I’d love it if there were no more bad guys with guns so there was absolutely no need for them to be carried anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What makes you think they’re related to the 6th street one? American city of 900k there will be daily shootings no matter what, that’s just math. 

Nothing other than reading into it a bit.  Perhaps in error.

The timeline read to me like a back and forth.

19 hours ago, Superhero said:

Don’t matter. Harleys were involved. Not saying all Harley owners are pieces of shit. But 99% are pieces of shit. 

Bring your superhero ass down to Barton Springs Saloon on any Tuesday night and espouse this theory. Let's see how super you really are 😂

56 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Calling this a “mass shooting” is an insult to legitimate mass shootings

It happened at 2:00a.  I learned about it over some middle-of-the-night text messages at 4:00a and posted what little details were available at that early hour while half-asleep and half-drunk.  It had many, but not most of the markings of a mass shooting...again at that early hour when reliable media isn't exactly bustling with activity.  So I titled the thread plainly and without bias.  What was relayed to me at that hour sure as shit sounded like a mass shooting.  Chiefly sticking out was two men poured their disagreement out into the street and opened fire on each other and shot 14 people (again, early discrepancy between injuries and actual gunshot victims).  I thought...how the hell did two guys with pistols empty 12-16 rounds, at night, after closing down a bar and probably drunk, manage to hit people with every single shot?  The footage at the time did not suggest they were wearing tac vests with extra ammo.  It sounded very strange.  And 36 hours later, it still sounds very bizarre.  How'd two drunks shoot so many people with just pistols?  Where is the second guy?  Why is the first one's identity being protected better than Kaiser Soze's?  What's going on with these retaliation attacks?  They know a random act of violence up on Jolleyville is directly related to Dirty Sixth but they have no fucking idea who the second guy is---just that he's directly related to these other instances scattered around time?  There's some gang whose turf covers Jolleyville, Todd Lane, and Pecan Street?  Who's buying that load of geographic shit?  Not saying that had anything to do with it, but also seems worth exploring that ROT Rally was going at the exact same moment and they have a bit of a track record of shit like this. 

This thing is goofy as fuck and the only thing I'm sure of, and I'll bet any of you $50......Steve Adler is gonna fuck this up somehow.  He's probably in Cabo, thankfully.

Feel free to petition to have the thread title edited to "Shitty Night on Shitty Sixth Gets Substantially Shittier." 

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What's going on with these retaliation attacks?  They know a random act of violence up on Jolleyville is directly related to Dirty Sixth but they have no fucking idea who the second guy is---just that he's directly related to these other instances scattered around time?  There's some gang whose turf covers Jolleyville, Todd Lane, and Pecan Street?  Who's buying that load of geographic shit? 

What are you rambling about now? That’s one poster speculating on this thread, not anything in the linked news stories.

KXAN reported three retaliation attacks around Austin (very spread out geographically) overnight last night.  They linked them to the larger shooting incident on Sixth Street.  They've since dialed that back, but some links go back to their original story.  My point was how could they know these disparate attacks were connected when they can't even report on the two original shooters.  The fact that they're changing their story leads to more muddying up of this original shooting on Sixth.  

How about I write shorter and slower for you---many things about this story are still very strange 36 hours later.