Austin Mass Shooting

Guest Lobo

Austin Police confirmed Sunday afternoon that a juvenile male suspect was taken into custody on Saturday in connection to the mass shooting in the city's most popular entertainment district that left at least 14 people injured early Saturday morning. 

There was no further description available and the charges he will face are still unknown.

Officials say one suspect is still at large, though Austin Interim Police Chief Joseph Chacon said in a press conference before the first arrest he was confident officers will be able to take both suspects into custody soon.

Chacon said investigators are reviewing video from multiple sources as part of their investigation including from the city's HALO system.

The Republic of Texas Motorcycle Rally taking place this weekend also added to the normal crowds, but the interim chief made clear he doesn't believe the shooting was in any way related to the that event.

—————

So just idiot juveniles…

Edited by Nicole44

9 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Damn. 

Should be murder charges. Shit that sucks. But he’s a juvenile. We wouldn’t want to “ruin” his record for the future. 
A couple of the injuries they said maybe 2-3 were life threatening. That sucks. Damn. 

• Like 2

It happened at 2:00a.  I learned about it over some middle-of-the-night text messages at 4:00a and posted what little details were available at that early hour while half-asleep and half-drunk.  It had many, but not most of the markings of a mass shooting...again at that early hour when reliable media isn't exactly bustling with activity.  So I titled the thread plainly and without bias.  What was relayed to me at that hour sure as shit sounded like a mass shooting.  Chiefly sticking out was two men poured their disagreement out into the street and opened fire on each other and shot 14 people (again, early discrepancy between injuries and actual gunshot victims).  I thought...how the hell did two guys with pistols empty 12-16 rounds, at night, after closing down a bar and probably drunk, manage to hit people with every single shot?  The footage at the time did not suggest they were wearing tac vests with extra ammo.  It sounded very strange.  And 36 hours later, it still sounds very bizarre.  How'd two drunks shoot so many people with just pistols?  Where is the second guy?  Why is the first one's identity being protected better than Kaiser Soze's?  What's going on with these retaliation attacks?  They know a random act of violence up on Jolleyville is directly related to Dirty Sixth but they have no fucking idea who the second guy is---just that he's directly related to these other instances scattered around time?  There's some gang whose turf covers Jolleyville, Todd Lane, and Pecan Street?  Who's buying that load of geographic shit?  Not saying that had anything to do with it, but also seems worth exploring that ROT Rally was going at the exact same moment and they have a bit of a track record of shit like this. 
This thing is goofy as fuck and the only thing I'm sure of, and I'll bet any of you $50......Steve Adler is gonna fuck this up somehow.  He's probably in Cabo, thankfully.
Feel free to petition to have the thread title edited to "Shitty Night on Shitty Sixth Gets Substantially Shittier." 

Sorry dude…didn’t mean for that to be an attack on the OP…directed at the media reports

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Should be murder charges. Shit that sucks. But he’s a juvenile. We wouldn’t want to “ruin” his record for the future. 
A couple of the injuries they said maybe 2-3 were life threatening. That sucks. Damn. 

In Texas and most other states you can be tried as an adult at 14. Still would be nice to know more about how the incident went down and the suspect’s involvement before locking the door & throwing the key away though.

Just now, Helobious said:

In Texas and most other states you can be tried as an adult at 14. Still would be nice to know more about how the incident went down and the suspect’s involvement before locking the door & throwing the key away though.

Yeah, I mean this could happen to anyone…whose 14 year old hasn’t been down on 6th street at 2am with a loaded gun?  Don’t want to ruin their life over a little murder…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

I’m thinking this started out with two good guys with a gun, who both had a misunderstanding and felt threatened. Obviously neither were good shots.  After the shooting started, several other good guys with guns in the crowd took action.  It was a god damn 2nd amendment patriot orgy the likes only George Washington himself could describe

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 10

Just now, TKthunder2 said:

Yeah, I mean this could happen to anyone…whose 14 year old hasn’t been down on 6th street at 2am with a loaded gun?  Don’t want to ruin their life over a little murder…

Not knowing the facts, he could’ve been the aggressor or he could’ve been fired on first and he was returning fire in self defense. If it’s the latter I don’t see how you charge him with anything more than reckless homicide or manslaughter. Unless you’re opposed to people having the right to defend themselves. It’s also not illegal for minors to carry guns in Texas, just illegal for them to buy/sell. There may be curfew laws at play though since it was in a city.

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Not knowing the facts, he could’ve been the aggressor or he could’ve been fired on first and he was returning fire in self defense. If it’s the latter I don’t see how you charge him with anything more than reckless homicide or manslaughter. Unless you’re opposed to people having the right to defend themselves. It’s also not illegal for minors to carry guns in Texas, just illegal for them to buy/sell. There may be curfew laws at play though since it was in a city.

Can we send them to jail for being such horrible shots?

Edited by TKthunder2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Didn’t say lock door and throw away key. They will have cameras that can tell us a bit about what happened. Am innocent bystander is dead. It was not the bikers just punks. I’m all for helping people so they don’t turn out like that but once they do turn. I just think certain violent crimes as a juvenile should not get a free pass or that the slate gets wiped clean because of age. They could be lifelong shit heads OR turn out to be decent people. But this sounds like a gun fight between two assholes where bystanders were collateral damage. I lose sleep over the family that just lost their 25 year old son to senseless gunfire. Not some jackass who fired the weapon. I will let others lose sleep over th gunman in custody. I sure as shit won’t lose sleep over him. 

If that sounds harsh, I am sorry. But once you do something like that you have to be accountable. And my sympathies lie with the 25 year old dead guy and his loved ones. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I've never owned a weapon, and certainly have never carried one.  It's possible I've been in situations where it might have been in my better interests to be carrying, but I don't recall any.  I've spent a shit ton of time in bars, too, many of them really sketchy.

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that the presence of the weapons helped escalate the situation.  Sorry for being so lefty.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

…and Baptists would tell you that serving alcohol till 2am helped escalate the situation.  Both of you are correct.  Congratulations, but I don’t want to live in a world run by either of you.

I'll have my campaign manager reach out to you, surely we can find some common ground.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

Ihow the hell did two guys with pistols empty 12-16 rounds, at night, after closing down a bar and probably drunk, manage to hit people with every single shot?  The footage at the time did not suggest they were wearing tac vests with extra ammo.  It sounded very strange.  And 36 hours later, it still sounds very bizarre.  How'd two drunks shoot so many people with just pistols?  

Have you not ever been to dirty sixth at 1:30 am before??  It would be very difficult to not hit that many people with 12-16 rounds, it jam packed crowded so much it’s hard to walk thru a couple of those blocks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Pretty sure they cannot carry short arms as a minor.  I could be wrong tho. 

There is no minimum age to possess firearms under Texas law. Texas law generally prohibits intentionally or knowingly selling, renting, leasing, or giving or offering to sell, rent, lease, or give any firearm to any child younger than age 18.1 However, it is an affirmative defense to this offense that the parent or the person having legal custody of the minor had given written permission for the sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or person having legal custody had given effective consent.2Federal age restrictions impose stricter limits.

• Like 1

Just for perspective…the deceased victim.

The family of Douglas John Kantor has released a statement following the death of the 25-year-old, who was shot and killed during a mass shooting event in downtown Austin that injured 13 others early Saturday morning.

Reporter Christian Flores spoke to the family shortly after Austin Police announced he had succumbed to his wounds Sunday afternoon,after fighting for his life for almost 36 hours. 

They said Doug was originally from Airmont, New York and had been living in Michigan after receiving his bachelors degree in computer engineering from Michigan State University.

He had gone on to work in the IT department for the Ford Motor Company as a product manager, where the family says he was quickly advancing.

He also developed a website for his brother and father's air conditioning and heating business. 

The family says he was looking forward to marrying his high school sweetheart of 10 years and starting a family.

—————

That’s the collateral “damage” in a fight between two fucking assholes. Asshole number two is still at large. But it’s better we not name them nor provide a description so as to PROTECT them. Fucking A! 

F7AF27C0-E0EA-4D27-A332-06A5C12CF46D.png

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I thought mass shooting was any shooting where 3 or more people are shot. 

Depends.  If you want to claim they are extremely frequent in the USA, that’s the definition.  If you want to  claim white males are responsible for most mass shootings, it isn’t the definition. Depends on the point you want to make.  Because if you use that definition these are your shooters.  

spacer.png

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 2

Douglas John Kantor, 25, died from his injuries at an Austin hospital Sunday at 12:01 p.m., police say.

Kantor’s family said he was taken to Dell Seton Medical Center. 

“He was shot through the abdomen just below the rib cage, straight through,” Kanton’s brother Nick Kanton said. “He suffered from the time of the injury until time of death, it was the most gruesome thing I could think to wish on someone. It’s painful to discuss, but I think the public deserves to know what my brother suffered.”
—————-

To me: Quite simply put, when it pertains to the shooter—when an  individual values the wrong things more often than not, they act accordingly. not always. No absolutes here. More often than not. 

The truth is most of us, no matter our race,  sex, age, wealth or lack thereof or privilege or lack thereof go around murdering people.

The ones who do, no matter their race age sex or status, more often than not act in accordance with their values. I say this because the statistics do not appear to show what so many argue they do: that the mitigating factors are the reasons.

I’d argue that murderers are the exception. Not the rule. I will leave the mitigating factors to the defense attorneys once the murderers are sentenced. I’d say this about any killer and have posted similarly in the past: they don’t have my sympathy.

No matter who they are.

Age race sex sexual orientation. Whether rich or poor. They more often than not act in accordance with what they value. Sure there are notable exceptions but honestly hanging onto the exceptions as a rule is a mistake. See them for what they are no matter who they are or where they come from. If you want to hang onto the sympathy for their circumstances go right ahead. 

IMO They crossed a line the vast majority of us never have and never will. No matter where we came from and no matter what circumstances we may find ourselves in. To me Trying to excuse or justify their actions is an exercise in futility. 

my final thought for the day. Rambling though it is. 

The bigger Austin gets the more we will hear of murders daily. Sucks. Whether its a shooting or a stabbing…it’s starting to feel like a nightly fucking thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Depends.  If you want to claim they are extremely frequent in the USA, that’s the definition.  If you want to  claim white males are responsible for most mass shootings, it isn’t the definition. Depends on the point you want to make.  Because if you use that definition these are your shooters.  

spacer.png

Lulzed at “none of these guys have been identified as white” in the little description at the bottom. Whatever the fuck that means. 2 pics away from a white guy that expressly said he went out to kill hispanics in his shooting and wrote a manifesto about how America should be re-segregated. 

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Possibly now murder unless it was the other shooter. 

Another weird thing.  48 hours after this many people are shot in public, the usual cadre come out of the woodwork to breakdown the weapons used, the type of ammo, etc.  But nobody knows if the bullet that killed the young man came from the gun of the guy already in custody.  Also, i realize since he's a minor---police won't be releasing any information about him to the public.  But why does that stop the media from asking victims/eyewitnesses about the people they saw doing the shooting?  Every other mass casualty event in Austin's recent history, people can't wait to tell the media who they saw doing the killing.  Does this "under 18" gag apply to media as well?  

I see no need to protect either individual that fired their weapon. Two shooters. I understand why they are protected. But in crimes like this I don’t feel they should be when someone dies. This wasn’t accidental like a car wreck. 

Im Not trying to change  the law or anything.

I just don’t believe that minors that commit a crime like this should be able to remain anonymous bc of their minor status.

Sorry 13 people wounded. One dead and two still in life threatening condition. Sorry but we should get to know who their asses are. 

Edited by Nicole44

I've never owned a weapon, and certainly have never carried one.  It's possible I've been in situations where it might have been in my better interests to be carrying, but I don't recall any.  I've spent a shit ton of time in bars, too, many of them really sketchy.
I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that the presence of the weapons helped escalate the situation.  Sorry for being so lefty.

I carry often. Not everywhere, but many places. Always have a gun in my briefcase, and it’s sitting next to me now at work.

Something interesting happens psychologically when you carry: you’re more willing or likely to evade or de-escalate. Where I might, in the past, have said “fuck this honky, let’s go to fisticuffs“ I’m now more likely to say “have a good day” and move along.

Things don’t bother me as much.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

I’m thinking this started out with two good guys with a gun, who both had a misunderstanding and felt threatened. Obviously neither were good shots.  After the shooting started, several other good guys with guns in the crowd took action.  It was a god damn 2nd amendment patriot orgy the likes only George Washington himself could describe

See that folks, you can reimagine anything that makes you feel better.

Because, "Follow the science!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I carry often. Not everywhere, but many places. Always have a gun in my briefcase, and it’s sitting next to me now at work.

Something interesting happens psychologically when you carry: you’re more willing or likely to evade or de-escalate. Where I might, in the past, have said “fuck this honky, let’s go to fisticuffs“ I’m now more likely to say “have a good day” and move along.

like the old saying goes, when all you have is a hammer, nothing looks like a nail.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

You would appear to be a reasonably intelligent person.  The average American is significantly dumber than you, and has less impulse control.  I’m fine with you carrying.  Them, not so much.  Not sure there is a good solution to that problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

This, 100%. It is an empirical fact that people who carry guns are far less likely to shoot someone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4