The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

2 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

And now that they're on Amazon they can do nudity...

not sure why I need to keep reminding people of this but they were allowed to have nudity on Sci Fi as well. But with the timeslot they wanted to play the show it, it would be slightly frowned upon.   

Cable TV -even just the basic channels do not have the nudity hold restrictions on them that you think they do.  

Cable television, on the other hand, is not bound by FCC rules and can show whatever material their executives consider suitable. With some exceptions, while cable channels that rely on advertising still do not show nudity during prime time

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

not sure why I need to keep reminding people of this but they were allowed to have nudity on Sci Fi as well. But with the timeslot they wanted to play the show it, it would be slightly frowned upon.   

Cable TV -even just the basic channels do not have the nudity hold restrictions on them that you think they do.  

Cable television, on the other hand, is not bound by FCC rules and can show whatever material their executives consider suitable. With some exceptions, while cable channels that rely on advertising still do not show nudity during prime time

This is not news to anyone.

We all know cable channels can show the goods but choose not to because they don't want to scare away advertisers.  Paid subscription services like Amazon and Netflix don't have this concern. 

Hell, I think the showrunners specifically mentioned how they could "open up" what they could do now that they weren't going to be on cable.

But congrats for enlightening us all.  10 points to Gryffindor. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2019 at 8:00 PM, hornian said:

Seen all the seasons, just now starting the novels. I bet I can finish them before the next season drops. 

Welp, finished up Persepolis Rising (Book 7) last night. Tiamat's Wrath (Book 8 ) drops on Tuesday. So I definitely made this happen. 

Edited by hornian
8)

• 4 weeks later...

I just completed seasons 1-3 over the past month. Wow, this show is so much better than I expected. I really like the concept that despite humanity colonizing the solar system we found a new way to form tribal lines.

The idea of the Belters developing thinner weaker bones while becoming extremely savvy after spending generations in space was an interesting take. I like that the technology on the show has limitations unlike Star Trek where everyone in space has plenty of air, water, food and stable gravity.

I really want to know the Mars back story. It sounds like they rebelled against Earth after spending a couple hundred years as a colony. It makes sense that Martians would have a singular focus on securing resources and security from the hands of Earth.

Definitely would like to know something about Luna.

Like everyone else said, Amos is a great character, a bit of a psychopath that turns to others for a moral compass. I like Alex too. He seems to have a country accent and listens to country music but he is from Mars which is a bit odd. Then again Belters will throw out some creole.

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

Like everyone else said, Amos is a great character, a bit of a psychopath that turns to others for a moral compass. I like Alex too. He seems to have a country accent and listens to country music but he is from Mars which is a bit odd. Then again Belters will throw out some creole.

The books talk about this briefly, that the Martians speak in a Texas/Tennessee drawl.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I really like how much thought the author put in to living and traveling in space.  I don't think I've ever seen a realistic take like this in sci fi. 

Kim Stanley Robinson came close/matched it in the The Mars Trilogy, albeit his novels were set closer to our time.

23 minutes ago, F250 said:

I just completed seasons 1-3 over the past month. Wow, this show is so much better than I expected. I really like the concept that despite humanity colonizing the solar system we found a new way to form tribal lines.

The idea of the Belters developing thinner weaker bones while becoming extremely savvy after spending generations in space was an interesting take. I like that the technology on the show has limitations unlike Star Trek where everyone in space has plenty of air, water, food and stable gravity.

I really want to know the Mars back story. It sounds like they rebelled against Earth after spending a couple hundred years as a colony. It makes sense that Martians would have a singular focus on securing resources and security from the hands of Earth.

Definitely would like to know something about Luna.

He is that guy. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

He is that guy. 

Indeed, he is. That whole scene was great. 

Prax: This is Amos. He's my best friend in the whole world. He helped me find you. Can you stay with Amos for a minute, OK? I'll be right back, I promise.

This statement by Prax was perfect. The relationship between Amos and Prax was developed by the writers and when Prax said this statement you just knew that Amos would not allow any harm be done to Mei. It wasn't just Prax assuring his daughter. Amos would rain down hell on anyone threatening her and of course we saw him take care of business with the doctor that was experimenting on Mei.

I enjoyed the callback to "he is my best friend" in season 3 when Amos was remembering Prax.

8 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I did the same and completely agree.  Having withdrawals. 

FWIW, the books are very very good, and the show is incredibly faithful to them. Some characters are combined, some are edited out completely, but so far the first 3 seasons have covered the important facets of the first 3 books. Pretty good audiobooks if you've got at least an hour of commuting

57 minutes ago, Captainant said:

FWIW, the books are very very good, and the show is incredibly faithful to them. Some characters are combined, some are edited out completely, but so far the first 3 seasons have covered the important facets of the first 3 books. Pretty good audiobooks if you've got at least an hour of commuting

I've only seen the first season and a half, but doesn't the end of season 2 coincide with the end of book 3? I know they finish the second book halfway through the second season.

What I have seen of the series (1.2 seasons) and books (3 books) is -- yeah, it's very faithful to the original, and most of the changes make for a better TV show. I particularly like that Chrisjen Avasarala is a major character from the beginning, rather than just a major character in book 2. She's too compelling a character to leave out. She and the Martian marine lady.

Apparently all the folks from India that emigrated to Williamson county will have descendents that emigrate to Mars.  Or at least that’s how I see it.  
Also the audiobooks are fantastic.
I saw an interview with Cas Anwar in which he said the book authors (who are often in the TV show writers room) specifically predicted that Texans and South Asians would be on Mars.

The reasoning was that in the modern world, Indians/Pakistanis and Texans are amongst the best at going somewhere and setting up/preserving a culture. So put them on Mars and let them breed for 300 years, and boom you get Alex.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I've only seen the first season and a half, but doesn't the end of season 2 coincide with the end of book 3? I know they finish the second book halfway through the second season.

What I have seen of the series (1.2 seasons) and books (3 books) is -- yeah, it's very faithful to the original, and most of the changes make for a better TV show. I particularly like that Chrisjen Avasarala is a major character from the beginning, rather than just a major character in book 2. She's too compelling a character to leave out. She and the Martian marine lady.

No, Season 3 ends right where book 3 ends. Season Season 1 through about 3.5 were blends of books 1 and 2 (Avasarala/UN stuff wasn't in book 1 at all). The last half of Season 3 was book 3. 

There's essentially 3 "trilogies" in the series. Books 1-3 (the Sol system stuff, discovery of the Protomolecule to the opening of all the gates), books 3-6 (settling the new planets through the ring gates, and the belters rising up in the Sol system with some help from some rogue human elements who want a distraction to find out more about the Protomolecule in one specific new world), and books 7-9 (which has a big time jump, the rogue elements coming back, and dealing with the true big bad who killed the gate builders who proto-Miller talked about at the end of book/season 3).

So this next season should start the next "trilogy" of books - with an expanding scope through each trilogy. Ironically, Cibola Burn (the 4th book), is probably the most "contained," and it's almost like a Western (with a lot of weird sci-fi stuff going on in the background). I don't think there's enough for a full season out of Cibola Burn, and I wouldn't be surprised if they set up the next season the same as season 1/2 (i.e. bringing in elements from books 5/6).

Book 9 hasn't been released yet, but I'm excited to see how they wrap it up. There's a scene from Book 8 that, if the show ever gets that far, will be really awesome to see on TV. I won't go into more detail here, especially since there is a lot of ifs to see whether the show ever gets there. 

26 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Spoiler that stuff, yo.

It's past the edit window, but I honestly don't think any of that is a spoiler,  I wrote it very general/high level on purpose. The show has already gotten to the ring gates opening/Miller's speech, which laid the arcs out pretty well in the last episode of Season 3: human nature to explore/expand vs. the search for what happened to the ring builders. But if one of the mods wants to go back and spoiler it, so be it. 

most of the way through Season 3, seems like it's going downhill

now don't get me wrong, I thought the scene where the "I've never been in zero-G before" lesbian space pastor flew solo through the Ring to knock out the Hulked-out "All I did in life was arrange parties for my Dad until 18 months ago" super-assassin psycho-debutante was very logical and realistic

but sometimes this show doesn't make a lot of sense

• 4 weeks later...

I watched seasons 1 and 2 when they first aired.  I missed the first couple of episodes of season 3 on first release, so ended up not watching it at all until just now.  In between, I started reading the books.  I had just finished book 3 when I started to watch season 3 on streaming.

The books are long and contain a lot of material.  I get that they can't fit everything in the books into the series, but they did a great job of it with season 1.  They did a good job of it with season 2.  They did a WTF job of it with season 3.  I'm not sure how anyone who hasn't read the books could even understand what is happening in season 3 of the tv series.  The choices they made to pare down the cast of characters really diminished the story IMO.  It just seemed too rushed/compressed.

I hope Amazon gives the show some leash to prioritize the story and not a production schedule.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2019 at 2:30 PM, atomheartbevo said:

They are younger and healthier than George R.R. Martin.  So we will see book 9.  

Because of the fat fuck, I'm not starting the books until the whole series is written.

I've been watching the series on Amazon on and off for a while, and I have a question:

Spoiler

Who or what attacked the Donnager (sp?) back in season 1. Did I miss something or is that still an unanswered?

Yep, Protogen had their own small fleet of stealth ships.  There's only 1 more book left and they have cranked out 7 since 2012, so short of the authors dying, you don't have to worry about it getting finished.

Edited by kevwun

On 7/13/2019 at 11:35 PM, RoundRobin said:
  Hide contents

If I remember correctly it was a stealth ship that was part of the protomolecule program.

18 hours ago, kevwun said:

Yep, Protogen had their own small fleet of stealth ships.  There's only 1 more book left and they have cranked out 7 since 2012, so short of the authors dying, you don't have to worry about it getting finished.

Thanks.

The protomolecule was somehow controlling the attacking stealth ship(s), allowing them to avoid the Donnager's missiles, similar to the way Eros (also under control of the protomolecule) was able to avoid Earth's defensive missiles? Is that something that was explicitly explained at some point?

On 5/25/2019 at 9:28 AM, bernorange said:

I watched seasons 1 and 2 when they first aired.  I missed the first couple of episodes of season 3 on first release, so ended up not watching it at all until just now.  In between, I started reading the books.  I had just finished book 3 when I started to watch season 3 on streaming.

The books are long and contain a lot of material.  I get that they can't fit everything in the books into the series, but they did a great job of it with season 1.  They did a good job of it with season 2.  They did a WTF job of it with season 3.  I'm not sure how anyone who hasn't read the books could even understand what is happening in season 3 of the tv series.  The choices they made to pare down the cast of characters really diminished the story IMO.  It just seemed too rushed/compressed.

I hope Amazon gives the show some leash to prioritize the story and not a production schedule.

I watched season 3 before reading, I didn't really have a problem following along