The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Looks great. Like how they keep all the characters in the show, even if they aren't in the specific novels each season is based on. 

I wonder if they are going to do the extended blindness/death slugs from the book. Somehow I doubt that will translate well to TV

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished and it was actually better than I expected. I'll spoiler all my thoughts in case anybody hasn't binged it as fast as I did.

Random thoughts:

I was a little worried initially because I felt that Cibola Burn was the weakest in the lot, with Nemesis Games and on being some of the strongest. Luckily they brought in some of Nemesis Games and God's of Risk to spice it up. It was a great choice because it kept Bobbie around, which built out Mars a little for everyone. They also made watching the Ilus stuff muich more interesting.

It was also neat they made up the election storyline, but I don't know why they made Arjun at odds with Chrisjen. In the books he was also so supportive of her even though he was the complete opposite of her. I gues they're setting it up so Chrisjen is even more devastated when he's gone because their last moments was a fight? Not sure that was necessary, I think it hurts just as much when she thinks he's the sweetest old man to walk the Earth.

The 4K was a great touch. An easter egg I noticed was one of the UN Admirals had the name tag Franck, which was a cool nod to Ty Franck.

I thought they setup Nemesis games great, while also really setting the stage for Duarte, without really tipping their hand to the illeterati. My guess is Drummer will be the new Pirate Queen, unless they really need to put her on Medina Station again when the Free Navy does its thing, but you'll have the Roci there too, so not sure.

Edited by MillerEP

Finished the season- overall I’d say it was pretty solid. I’m happy that they kept the same feel and pace of the show. Definitely not my favorite season but other shows have done much worse this many seasons in. I liked the main plot of this season, thought the new planet was cool. I thought they could have done away with the Marco arc but there’s reasons why they kept it. I still get confused when trying to keep track of all of the characters and what faction they belong to and what they are trying to do. This season only made that confusion worse. Obviously Amos is a huge bright spot till the end. Glad that they now can go so many different directions and it doesn’t have to do with the same theme. 

8 hours ago, MillerEP said:

You won’t regret putting this one at the top of your list, best sci-fi show on tv.

I would put The Mandalorian right up there with it, but they are completely different shows. The Mandalorian is a pretty straight forward space western where there aren't a lot of complexities to the plot, but it is really well done and entertaining. The Expanse is more like Game of Thrones in space, but hopefully with a plot that won't run out of source material.

took most of the weekend, but I too finished binging on all the new eps.

Amos still steals the show. 

I am gonna suggest that we keep book spoilers off this.   when I see spoilers, I kind of expect to read about the show, not future stuff from the books.    anyone want to second that or do we have have to go Game of Thrones and start having 2 threads?

10 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

took most of the weekend, but I too finished binging on all the new eps.

Amos still steals the show. 

I am gonna suggest that we keep book spoilers off this.   when I see spoilers, I kind of expect to read about the show, not future stuff from the books.    anyone want to second that or do we have have to go Game of Thrones and start having 2 threads?

I agree. as a bookfag, I would love to talk about this season in the bookfag context 

It's interesting, having read the books, to watch the series and muse how well their casting choices match up with your mental image of certain characters.  For me, and new to season 4, the guy playing Murtry nailed it.  Fred Johnson looked like a totally different actor from previous seasons - it was really jarring for me.  Season 4 was well done especially considering it was some of the weaker story material in the series.

Stayed up late last night to finish the season and fell asleep so I still need to watch it again. Season 3 was so crazy good that I knew it would be hard to top. Overall pretty good season but maybe the "worst" so far, I've heard it's the weakest of the books also. 

Love Bobbie and Amos being badass. The belter creole is really heavy this season and I loved that. Avasavala is really opened up with the freedom amazon allows. The legend of gin alley is criminally underused, just plays the villian perfectly. The shockwave was one of the coolest moments in the series. Hate Naomi's new hair.

Holden, don't stick your dick in illus, it's fucked enough already. 

On 11/18/2019 at 4:03 PM, hornian said:

Looks great. Like how they keep all the characters in the show, even if they aren't in the specific novels each season is based on. 

Hide contents

I wonder if they are going to do the extended blindness/death slugs from the book. Somehow I doubt that will translate well to TV

Well, they did it. 

Spoiler

Also, I like how they set up the real big bads of the series - whoever killed the builders - but its so fleeting that you focus on the human politics/drama more. The glimpses you get of them - in the first episode when Holden goes through the ring gate, and the last episode when Elvi goes through the artifact - are literally a couple of seconds out of a 10-hour season.