The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I was watching Ken Burns' Vietnam series and there is this black dude who Amos looks exactly like in it.  The dude crawled into a tunnel and killed a man with his bare hands and has the same stare and facial features.  

Fantastic documentary.   First one to turn on their light dies...  

Was curious as to why the ships look like they're flying backwards in some scenes. 
https://www.wired.com/story/the-physics-of-a-spinning-spacecraft-in-the-expanse/

Accelerating at 1G and then turning around halfway there to decelerate at 1G is a pretty standard sci fi trope. I don’t know how long a spaceship could continue to accelerate at 1G but sooner or later you’d be going pretty fucking fast and if you hit anything at all you could be fucked.

15 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Accelerating at 1G and then turning around halfway there to decelerate at 1G is a pretty standard sci fi trope. I don’t know how long a spaceship could continue to accelerate at 1G but sooner or later you’d be going pretty fucking fast and if you hit anything at all you could be fucked.

Have we seen that much on TV tho?  Curious.

16 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

This is the first space opera type show I've watched. Just cool, as I've never noticed those physics standards in Star Trek or Star Wars.

16 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Correct.

Some quick calculations tell me that accelerating at 1g halfway to jupiter, you would reach a max speed of 0.008c. It would take about 70 hrs. Then another 70 hours to slow at 1g.

At that max speed, dust particles would punch through a ship like a bullet through tissue paper. Obviously, some sort magnetic or electrostatic shielding would need to be used. Not sure how that would work IRL.

(All this assumes you could travel in a straight line and Earth and Jupiter are at their closest points to each other. Most of the time, that wouldn't be true, and the max speed would be much much higher. If they were at their farthest point from each other, max speed would be about 0.01c.)

Take all this with a grain of space dust. I probably dropped some zeros in there somewhere.

Yeah, I'm a nerd and I"m bored at work. In fact, I think I'll just slip out a little early.

I don't think they are continually accelerating, that would burn a lot of fuel and it seems to be a few week journey from jupiter to earth and a few months from earth to the gate outside of uranus. 

I'm a space idiot though 

Edited by seven

On 1/31/2020 at 2:42 PM, seven said:

I don't think they are continually accelerating, that would burn a lot of fuel and it seems to be a few week journey from jupiter to earth and a few months from earth to the gate outside of uranus. 

I'm a space idiot though 

They are continuing accelerating which gives them acceleration gravity on the ships.  The fusion drives in the show are super efficient.  It’s a plot point.  Invention of the drive was what let Mars separate from Earth.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 2:42 PM, seven said:

I'm a space idiot though 

Its actually sometimes hard to tell because they have those magnetic boots that let them "walk" in zero g. Either way, they've set up two ways that the writers can explain away why they aren't floating around inside the space ship.

On a slightly different, but related note: I also like how they show the rotational and lateral accelerations when the ship is maneuvering, like when firing its kinetic weapons. They have to strap in basically immobilized with pressure suits so they can withstand the high g's without passing out or being injured. (Similar to what a jet fighter pilot would experience in a dogfight).

8 hours ago, Zavala said:

This shit any good? I've read through all the books but I couldn't get into the first couple episodes of this show.

I kinda liked Neil Asher better but these books have been great too.

No.  Everyone is praising it and impatiently awaiting the next season because it completely sucks. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

No.  Everyone is praising it and impatiently awaiting the next season because it completely sucks. 

lol just wondering how I can get past the first few eps, is it anything like the books?

also, why are the belters just normal people? In the books they make em out to be long skinny alien-like people because they've grown up in space..

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

lol just wondering how I can get past the first few eps, is it anything like the books?

also, why are the belters just normal people? In the books they make em out to be long skinny alien-like people because they've grown up in space..

It's definitely worth it.  First season is prob the weakest, but after that it's exceptional.  

They have a few belters in season 1 that are elongated, but I figure they just didn't have enough long stringy actors to make it work for the show. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

There's a scene in episode 1 or 2 where someone is talking to Miller and his partner about belter deformities mentions deformed spines and growths and they say every belter will eventually be elongated in a few generations.  Think it just wasn't  feasible to depict them how they are in the books on a tv budget.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

It's definitely worth it.  First season is prob the weakest, but after that it's exceptional.  

They have a few belters in season 1 that are elongated, but I figure they just didn't have enough long stringy actors to make it work for the show. 

cool, I'll drudge through the rest of season 1 and try to get more into it.

Maybe it's just Holden in my mind was a different type of dude than the actor they got to play em.

Have we seen that much on TV tho?  Curious.

This is the first space opera type show I've watched. Just cool, as I've never noticed those physics standards in Star Trek or Star Wars.

Fair point, it’s common in sci-fi books but I don’t think I’ve seen much of it in TV/movies. Probably because they didn’t want to confuse the audience.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_travel_using_constant_acceleration#Ship_reference_frame

Pretty crazy you could cross the whole galaxy in 12 years at constant 1G.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 12:28 PM, Zavala said:

cool, I'll drudge through the rest of season 1 and try to get more into it.

Maybe it's just Holden in my mind was a different type of dude than the actor they got to play em.

They have to setup the world, intreoduce you to the characters, and then hit the main season 1 arc, so it does start a bit slow, but picks up speed rapidly. Each season follows the books pretty closely.

10 hours ago, MillerEP said:

They have to setup the world, intreoduce you to the characters, and then hit the main season 1 arc, so it does start a bit slow, but picks up speed rapidly. Each season follows the books pretty closely.

Yes I'm on season 4 now it's pretty good. They swapped around some of the nu-OPA characters but I like how those turned out, the Bull is Drummer and they made that dynamic between them a bit different but I like it. I guess they had less time for the subplot so they had to swap it up a bit. Worked out well. 

Hope they keep the series alive, it's pretty entertaining. Is it just me or is everyone in the show unattractive except Bobbie? In the books the descriptions of people seem totally different than the casting. Maybe it's just my imagination. 

• 1 month later...

Just finished all of the seasons a couple of days ago. I usually never have time to watch TV, but with all this newfound free time I watched it and loved it. So well done and the main characters all have good storylines to follow. Naomi has been my favorite character followed by Alex and Bobbie.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

Yes I'm on season 4 now it's pretty good. They swapped around some of the nu-OPA characters but I like how those turned out, the Bull is Drummer and they made that dynamic between them a bit different but I like it. I guess they had less time for the subplot so they had to swap it up a bit. Worked out well. 
Hope they keep the series alive, it's pretty entertaining. Is it just me or is everyone in the show unattractive except Bobbie? In the books the descriptions of people seem totally different than the casting. Maybe it's just my imagination. 

No, Bobbie is unattractive too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched a couple of seasons of other shows since finishing this one up and honestly I think I would rather just watch this entire series again. This is my favorite sci-fi show to watch, and this will date me, since I was a kid and was seeing Star Trek: The Next Generation when it was still shown on network TV.  So much has changed in sci-fi programming since then and this show is a great one.

Edited by UpperWestside

• 2 months later...