The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

Well shit. I really liked him. But if there's truth to this (and to be clear, I am not saying that in a question the victim kind of way, but rather a waiting for investigation to finish kind if way) he gotta go.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, APMP said:

Well shit. I really liked him. But if there's truth to this (and to be clear, I am not saying that in a question the victim kind of way, but rather a waiting for investigation to finish kind if way) he gotta go.

From going down on the rabbit hole,  it looks pretty real.  Dude is not a good guy.  My guess is we get a new Alex, or they donk him off and bring in a new character.  

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

From going down on the rabbit hole,  it looks pretty real.  Dude is not a good guy.  My guess is we get a new Alex, or they donk him off and bring in a new character.  

I’m fine with recasting 

40 minutes ago, APMP said:
1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:
Unpopular opinion but I’d be ok with a Chrisjen recast. Her voice sounds like she’s going to die of lung cancer in the next ten minutes.

That is what makes it so awesome

It's exactly how I pictured it reading the books.  She sounds like a grizzled old politician - oh hey, that's what she is. 

3 hours ago, Xian said:

This is not what I was hoping to see when I saw the thread was bumped.  God dammit 

Bezos didn't spent the bucks to let one person derail things.  And the writers, the actual book writers, have made it known they aren't happy if it's true, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch for them to, well, you know....

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Below are the season 5 episode names. Spoilering it in case any bookfags want to speculate with me. The names themselves won't mean anything or give anything away to the illeterati, but just in case I'll play it safe and spoiler.

Spoiler

121013098_1461303384065841_1491586318180815651_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=km0_JpzsY18AX8TTmrz&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=1aa26490d6dacf98cfbaf5f87a51b136&oe=5FA7D2A0

Looks like it happens pretty early? Also The Churn looks to be confirmed.

3 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Below are the season 5 episode names. Spoilering it in case any bookfags want to speculate with me. The names themselves won't mean anything or give anything away to the illeterati, but just in case I'll play it safe and spoiler.

Hide contents

121013098_1461303384065841_1491586318180815651_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=km0_JpzsY18AX8TTmrz&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=1aa26490d6dacf98cfbaf5f87a51b136&oe=5FA7D2A0

Looks like it happens pretty early? Also The Churn looks to be confirmed.

Episode 8 should slam and go hard (vacuum).

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

I binged this over the past 2 months. It was an enjoyable watch and I'm looking forward to season 5, but I also don't think it's quite the masterpiece that most of you consider it to be. I understand why it draws comparisons to Game of Thrones, but GoT was in a different league IMO, at least until it fell apart in the later seasons. Just a lot more depth in GoT, much higher production quality, better acting across the board, etc. Minority opinion it would seem, but I overall like The Expanse or I wouldn't have gone through 4 seasons so quickly.

Season 4 was easily the weakest season for me so maybe that's why I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment. I was never a huge fan of Miller and I generally get annoyed when shows reincarnate dead characters, so to have the entire plot of season 4 based on Holden following Miller's every whim was an ongoing frustration for me. Holden/Miller got them into a huge clusterfuck and then got them out of the same clusterfuck, albeit with a bunch of people dying along the way, and that's somehow a win? Also got a bit bored with the election drama on Earth and I'd like to see Bobbie more involved in something meaningful.

According to those of you who read the books, season 4 was based on a weaker book, so hopefully things take off again in season 5.

20 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Season 4 was easily the weakest season for me so maybe that's why I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment. I was never a huge fan of Miller and I generally get annoyed when shows reincarnate dead characters, so to have the entire plot of season 4 based on Holden following Miller's every whim was an ongoing frustration for me. Holden/Miller got them into a huge clusterfuck and then got them out of the same clusterfuck, albeit with a bunch of people dying along the way, and that's somehow a win? Also got a bit bored with the election drama on Earth and I'd like to see Bobbie more involved in something meaningful.

According to those of you who read the books, season 4 was based on a weaker book, so hopefully things take off again in season 5.

I would agree with s4 being weaker than previous seasons, but as you already read book 5 is a big improvement, so s5 should be epic. To fully understand Miller you have to have a better understanding of the proto-molecule. Miller wasn't technically "re-incarnated" so much as he was broken down and absorbed by the proto-molecule.  The proto-molecule used Miller because it recognized him as a detective, which is what it needed at that time. It was just as confused as everybody else to why it couldn't find it's creators which it was programmed to do, so it used Miller's "detective" skills to figure it out. Of course it wasn't always there physically so it had Miller get Holden to be it's arms and legs. So it didn't get him into the mess really. It was trying to figure out what happened, when it discovered the "bullet" (some sort of negative or anti-matter?) which seeks out and kills the proto-molecule and its creators. So what saved Holden, was Holden moving into that "bullet" (which wasn't engineered to do anything to Humans).

So now we sort of got the answer to one mystery which was who created the proto-molecule (s1 is about finding out who unleashed it and s2 about what is it) and what happened to them, only to now know there's some even bigger threat out there, which was whatever engineered the "bullet" that kills entire civilizations, and what repercussions that might have now that Humanity is using their tech (i.e. the ring gates, etc).

Edited by MillerEP

I actually like book/season 4. And the payoff in the most recent book that calls back to book 4 is immense. Some of the stuff from book 4 is probably the key to the whole saga. I say probably because there’s still one more book to go that won’t be out until next year, so it’s just speculation.  But nothing in this universe is superfluous. It’s very efficiently written and you can tell they have a plan how to finish the story and tie everything together. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, hornian said:

Being renewed for 1 more season (6 total), but that’s it. I guess the time jump between book 6 and books 7/8/9 was too much to handle. 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/24/21625801/expanse-season-6-renewed-finale-ending-amazon-cancel

And apparently Cas Anvar (who plays Alex) is out:

The Cas Anvar thing is probably because the sexual conduct allegations. I wonder how they'll wrap everything up.

Spoiler

Think they'll just wrap up the Free Navy stuff, and then leave the Laconians out for good? Or do you think they'll try and wrap everything up at once?

43 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

The Cas Anvar thing is probably because the sexual conduct allegations. I wonder how they'll wrap everything up.

Hide contents

Think they'll just wrap up the Free Navy stuff, and then leave the Laconians out for good? Or do you think they'll try and wrap everything up at once?

Honestly there’s a natural ending after Babylon’s Ashes. So probably agree with you. 

Trying to fit 7-8-9 into everything would be a disaster. 

On 11/24/2020 at 10:42 PM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Ugh so now I gotta read some books to find out how it ends?

Yep. Or be happy with the ending they give next year. It's a natural stopping point, as others have said, despite 4 more books after it.

Edited by MillerEP

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

There's no way they can do Laconia in one season without it being a mess.  That is a damn shame. 

Potentially do it as a movie? Once you go past book 6, you have to finish it. Amazon may be more open to a movie or 6 episode miniseries than commit to 3 more full seasons. 

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Why kill it when it is seemingly doing well on Prime?

Or Amazon could be doing a Netflix and deciding they don't want too many expensive irons in the fire, unless they are pulling in a lot of viewers.

Remember, Amazon is doing a massive Lord of the Rings series, and a massive Wheel of Time series.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm spitballing, but

spacer.png

One is a established with a proven audience.

12 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I’m not familiar with the books but 6 seasons is a pretty healthy lifespan for a high budget TV series. Were people expecting a full 9 seasons to match the books? That’s a very long TV series.

3 Seasons for Amazon.  The other 3 were with SyFy.