The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Finally, how does the show change now being on Amazon as opposed to Syfy?

There are some things that are amazing that we don’t have to worry about: restrictions on nudity, restrictions on language, and restrictions on length to some extent. It’s like we don’t have to jam the episodes into 43-minute boxes if they’re going to spill over into a 50-minute box. There were times in season 3 where I wished that I had been able to put another four or five minutes into certain shows, it would have been great. And we certainly would have done it, and that’s the beauty of being on another platform like this, is that if the material demands it, you can make the story a little bit longer to accommodate it.

We never wrote it going, “Oh, God, it’s going to be on basic cable so we’ve got to tone this down.” I think we did some pretty drastic things when we needed to. None of that’s going to change, and I hope that as we get into it more, we’re going to find more and more opportunities to really make the platform work for us, because it’s a great way to watch the show. When you can stream this thing in 4K and it’s seamless and there are no commercial breaks — we don’t even go to blacks — it’s a different experience when you watch. It’s incredibly engaging, and every time I show it to people that way, they go, “That’s a completely different experience than watching it on basic cable.” So we’re really excited to be on Amazon.

Come to Butthead....

I just hope they keep the great writing. Under those restrictions, it might have made them be more creative. Once they are allowed to put in nudity and language, don't let it become a crutch. A well place "fuck" or "shit" can be great but not when it is a lazy tool.

I honestly didnt think there were any major restrictions on any network that was on cable, other than some basic rules of no prolonged nudity and a reasonable number of specific curse words "shit", "sonofabitch", "asshole".    no fucks, MFs, cocksuckers.

Hell in the last 2 episodes last night the actors CLEARLY said fuck on the video, but the audio was changed to their version of "frack"

but man, I guess, what a difference upgraded cable makes,  Yellowstone's first ep had a naked  boobie, multiple shits, several fucks and even a whole conversation about how small a guys dick felt.

5 hours ago, bamachine said:

I just hope they keep the great writing. Under those restrictions, it might have made them be more creative. Once they are allowed to put in nudity and language, don't let it become a crutch. A well place "fuck" or "shit" can be great but not when it is a lazy tool.

It really neutered the fudge out of some characters, like Avasarala.  Some of her lines in the book are epic, but she couldn't translate them to SyFy due to the language restrictions.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, Queen Bitch said:

There. Happy now?

Now I'm happy.  Between the shots with the warships docking around it and CGI showing the reactor, we got an idea of the size. 

Great finale.  David Strathairn is fun to watch and I loved that his character wasn't easy to figure out.  Loved the scene where Amos tries to convince the reporter by basically saying I don't give a shit about your dead friend. 

If Amazon puts some cash into production and maybe more importantly marketing, they could have a real hit on their hands... Star Trek like hit. 

So many worlds to explore, 3 separate factions, an unknown menacing enemy, a lost technological race...  who knows what they left behind?  Come on Bezos, don't fuck this up.

7 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I honestly didnt think there were any major restrictions on any network that was on cable, other than some basic rules of no prolonged nudity and a reasonable number of specific curse words "shit", "sonofabitch", "asshole".    no fucks, MFs, cocksuckers.

Hell in the last 2 episodes last night the actors CLEARLY said fuck on the video, but the audio was changed to their version of "frack"

but man, I guess, what a difference upgraded cable makes,  Yellowstone's first ep had a naked  boobie, multiple shits, several fucks and even a whole conversation about how small a guys dick felt.

They need to get the Monica tv/documentary chick nekkid

16 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Books 5 and 6 May be my favorite, so I’m super excited to get to those seasons

What's your guess? Book 4 is kind of a bottleglass book with a very distinct setting.  Is it worthy of a whole 10 hour season? Can you do it in 3-4 hours? Do you run some parallel stories from book 5?

1 hour ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

They need to get the Monica tv/documentary chick nekkid

Also, even though the voice kinda annoys me, the Belter Captain chick seemed to have a bigger rack than I expected, when they showed her on the recovery table.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I haven't read this thread due to spoilers. I'm almost through with the first book and I can't wait to watch the series once I'm caught up. Fun read.

You're in for a fun ride. The show is actually pretty close to the books. That's all I'll say though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Without ruining too much will I be able to watch season 1 after reading the first book or does it not work that way?

For season 1 yes, but not after that, book 2 is spread out a bit between seasons 2-3

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Without ruining too much will I be able to watch season 1 after reading the first book or does it not work that way?

Book 1 - 1.01 to 2.05
Book 2 - 2.06 to 3.06
Book 3 - 3.07 to 3.13

So you can watch 1.5 seasons before you need to stop. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 8:00 AM, Js1 said:

It really neutered the fudge out of some characters, like Avasarala.  Some of her lines in the book are epic, but she couldn't translate them to SyFy due to the language restrictions.

Agree 100% - her rants in the books are epic and would starch a sailors uniform.

I do think they have the right actress in place for her and I am hoping Amazon lets them let loose a little.

On 6/28/2018 at 9:30 AM, MillerEP said:

Love Amos....so dark himself but always drawn to innocence. "I'm not going to let anybody hurt you"

There's an Expanse novella about Amos' background - short but enjoyable, and nice insight into his background. And even ties back into the novels later.

There's an Expanse novella about Amos' background - short but enjoyable, and nice insight into his background. And even ties back into the novels later.

There’s a couple, and I actually like them all, one is Fred Johnson’s backstory which we see in the show, and one is bobbie’s cousin which shows us a lot more of life on Mars.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read all the books now, but I don't recall any of them really calling for nudity.  That scene with what's her name in the first episode wasn't in the books if I remember correctly.  Naomi's tattoo added in Season 3 is turrible.  Hope thats temporary.

Entertainment Weekly posted this concept art for Season 4:
te_217863287123893290123.jpg&w=2200&q=70

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 11:42 AM, 52-80 said:

havent watched deep enough to speak on the avavasaraldsfala character, but man i cannot stand the actress with her strained slogged, growly, pursed-lip, mink-coated mannerisms and speech

If she spoke like she did in the book, it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, she isn't old, or ugly enough, in the tv show to capture the book version.

On 5/1/2018 at 4:34 PM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I really like this show. If humanity could ever figure out how to actually create this Epstein drive, we would be in fucking business. I appreciate how the story portrays what thebsolar system is most likely to resemble in the next couple centuries, even if we don't have such a thing as the Epstein drive. They put a lot of work into getting the physics in this show correct. From a science/math nerd's perspective, the importance of this can't be overstated.

I caught one of these small cut-scenes.  When the camera was static and the "yacht" of the first Epstein run flew by and the camera shook - like a NASCAR drive-by. 

That shouldnt happen in a (near) vacuum, right?  Negged!

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, Apep said:

If she spoke like she did in the book, it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, she isn't old, or ugly enough, in the tv show to capture the book version.

I was always under the impression she was in her 70s in the book.  Shohreh Aghdashloo is 66 IRL.  It's not that far off.  The only issue is the length of time in-universe between books is going to necessitate "aging up" the actors with makeup.  There's like a 2 year jump between books 3 and 4.

Fans of this show:  how does it compare to Battlestar Galactica?

I found Expanse's first 4 episode to be a beating. S01 required patience to sort through the entire universe-building.  Then S02 was good and we've binged S03 like black tar heroine.  

Is Battlestar (2003 miniseries) the same?  Tried to get into on a friend's recommendation but it seemed a bit nerdcheese and never went deeper than ep 1

41 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Fans of this show:  how does it compare to Battlestar Galactica?

Is Battlestar (2003 miniseries) the same?  Tried to get into on a friend's recommendation but it seemed a bit nerdcheese and never went deeper than ep 1

The first episode of BSG, "33" takes place within a few days of the end of the mini-series.  Watch the mini-series, and then watch "33" and you'll be hooked.

The focus of both shows changes at times from small-scale to large-scale.  Both have amazing writing, but they both have their shitty episodes.  Both are more "hard" than a lot of sci-fi/space shows, in that both deal with limited resources (air, water, fuel, ammo, etc.).  They have what feel like "real" spaceships, where things can be darked/cramped/dirty.

The casting for both is some of the best for an ensemble show.

I think one very telling thing, is that both shows are liked by plenty of people who don't consider themselves to be sci-fi fans.  The writing and acting are that good.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The first episode of BSG, "33" takes place within a few days of the end of the mini-series.  Watch the mini-series, and then watch "33" and you'll be hooked.

The focus of both shows changes at times from small-scale to large-scale.  Both have amazing writing, but they both have their shitty episodes.  Both are more "hard" than a lot of sci-fi/space shows, in that both deal with limited resources (air, water, fuel, ammo, etc.).  They have what feel like "real" spaceships, where things can be darked/cramped/dirty.

The casting for both is some of the best for an ensemble show.

I think one very telling thing, is that both shows are liked by plenty of people who don't consider themselves to be sci-fi fans.  The writing and acting are that good.

Less "science fiction" and more "space opera/drama."  In most cases, you're watching a drama just set in space.  The science-fiction part is almost secondary.

• 5 months later...