The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

7 minutes ago, El Pollo Loco said:

im going to have to rewatch season 2........any bookfags? are they worth reading?

I really like them. As I said in the OP, they some of the later books are actually better than some of the earlier stuff. Once the big mystery of the first books gets solved, they manage to do some great pivots to keep it going in a whole new direction without losing anything.

16 hours ago, MillerEP said:

I really like them. As I said in the OP, they some of the later books are actually better than some of the earlier stuff. Once the big mystery of the first books gets solved, they manage to do some great pivots to keep it going in a whole new direction without losing anything.

bought the first one

giphy.gif

Love this show.  Needed to fill the time between seasons so I listed to The Churn audiobook - great backstory for a current character

https://www.amazon.com/The-Churn-An-Expanse-Novella/dp/B00K8CM4UY/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=&dpID=41Fln2ti9qL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Edited by mackavelli

On 3/25/2018 at 4:23 PM, El Pollo Loco said:

im going to have to rewatch season 2........any bookfags? are they worth reading?

Oh hell yes they're worth reading. In the old PCL, Expanse occupied enough of the Sci Fi thread that there were comments it should have a standalone thread.

Sam

On 3/28/2018 at 4:32 PM, Richter said:

I've read the first few books.  I think about 3 books ago I tried to get back into it and couldn't for some reason.  The series is good though.

If it was around Abbadon's Gate or Cibola Burn then those were maybe the 2 weakest in the series, the last couple have been the best. It's worth picking back up.

I'm a bookfag. I don't watch the show anymore because the casting is so fucking terrible. I can't think of a single character that is even close to accurate.

It's like watching LotR with The Rock as Gandalf, the members of One Direction as the Hobbits, Sarah Jessica Parker as Galadriel and Patton Oswalt as Saruman.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

if Earth and Mars are going head to head, how the fuck is anyone able to travel around, other than the outer ring folks?

Civilian traffic isn't necessarily shut down because the resources and trade still need to flow. Still plenty of civilian traffic, we saw in season 1 that just 1 disruption of ice/water shipments can cause riots out in the belt due to a scarcity of resources. Besides, space is vast.

I hate the new ship name, hopefully they go back to the Roci, because that seems like a pretty pointless yet dramatic change to make. I  also like the setup they're doing for some of the future stuff, makes me excited for the things to come.

Edited by MillerEP

Solid episode tonight. Interesting that they're setting up Anna so early, this should let them roll right into Abaddon's Gate. Elizabeth Mitchell is a good choice, she deserves to be in the Women over 40 thread if one moved over from Shaggy.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this show. If humanity could ever figure out how to actually create this Epstein drive, we would be in fucking business. I appreciate how the story portrays what thebsolar system is most likely to resemble in the next couple centuries, even if we don't have such a thing as the Epstein drive. They put a lot of work into getting the physics in this show correct. From a science/math nerd's perspective, the importance of this can't be overstated.

Last night episode moved the plot along in multiple ways.   

The UN Speech scene was great.  Particularly how the unexpected change is the turning point for Anna.  

I cannot wait for Errinwright to get his comeuppance.