The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

1 minute ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

well damn...thought Wednesdays were the day of release

Episode 5 is the most recent from today. It was 3 that dropped on the 16th, then the 4th on the 23rd and the 5th today. 

But by “Wednesday” I mean 7pm ET on Tuesday bc they drop them at Wednesday 00:00 GMT

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

A Longhorn wrote this week's episode.

I am that Longhorn. (Deleting this in like 10 minutes.)

No one on surly Is that talented. Unless Chad Briscoe was a writer. 

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

this weeks episode was a bit of a recovery episode after 3 pretty fantastic eps.   Not that it was bad, but they clearly paced the episode so that it wasnt balls to the wall like the last few. 

Little slow but still good. 

I figured 6-7 might slow down and 8-10 to blow our faces off 

Edited by Js1

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I feel you. I had the same issue with Drummer at first, but I think it's one of those deals where it all depends on the angle. Which generally means no, not generally.

Both are hot. One in a "ill do ANYTHING for a scoop" kinda way and the other in a I sleep naked with my crew kinda way. 

• Drool 1

On 1/7/2021 at 7:15 PM, Buzzrock said:

Is the reporter chick hot? I’m not sure but I think she’s hot.

Yes

5 hours ago, seven said:

I just wish they hadn't cut her hair. Go back to s3 Naomi hair plz

Not sure they could do anything to Naomi to appeal to me.

She’s really getting the spotlight this season. And doing amazing. 

I find her too dramatic and a little annoying. She and Bobbi seem to have inverted character arcs. Bobbi is getting better and Naomi is getting more annoying. I do find her kid more annoying than both and though I am a few episodes behind, I hope he dies.

Maybe I just don’t appreciate their backstories as much. Bobbi is too guarded and bitchy but she has a reason having been run out of the military. She is just too humorless. Amos is walking PTSD but still has a bit of humor without violating that PTSD dead eye stare.

I like Drummer and her shift from subordinate to Klaes and Fred to a leader was good.

2 hours ago, deech said:

I wonder if Naomi has the protomolecule on her ship.

I'm a bookfag, but not trying to be cute - what makes you wonder that?

They've changed enough from the book to make surprises like that possible, so wondering if I missed something. 

7 minutes ago, hornian said:

I'm a bookfag, but not trying to be cute - what makes you wonder that?

They've changed enough from the book to make surprises like that possible, so wondering if I missed something. 

I got the impression that Holden's crew was chasing the ship that had it (zumaya I think, right?)  but it was off scope for a significant amounts of time.  That's why they were scanning for the Mars ships also that Marco just acquired because they could be meeting with the ship.   Earlier in the episode, Marco asked to borrow Naomi's ship from Phillip which was unusual.  So my thought was he would send Naomi's ship to offload the protomolecule because it was some random ship that Naomi purchased/rented that no one (Holden in particular) knew about.

Just now, deech said:

I got the impression that Holden's crew was chasing the ship that had it (zumaya I think, right?)  but it was off scope for a significant amounts of time.  That's why they were scanning for the Mars ships also that Marco just acquired because they could be meeting with the ship.   Earlier in the episode, Marco asked to borrow Naomi's ship from Phillip which was unusual.  So my thought was he would send Naomi's ship to offload the protomolecule because it was some random ship that Naomi purchased/rented that no one (Holden in particular) knew about.

I also wouldn't think Marco would blow it up, but the more I think about it - he just has to make sure Holden or anyone else can't capture it.  Whether the Belters have it or not does not matter.  It's the threat that they do.

3 minutes ago, deech said:

Ah. I can see that. 

I got the impression the PM was already given to the MCRN based on the comment by the reporter - that the PM was half the payment for the MCRN ships, and other half was the scientist (Cortazar). 

Someone (can't remember if it was here or somewhere else) said that if you look one of the torpedoes goes a different direction than the rest on the Zemeya during the firefight, so they thought it was them sending the PM away via torpedo.

And they blew themselves up, so there's no way the PM is still on board. 

Either way, I honestly can't remember how the PM sample is handled in the book since it's been a while since I read them, and I don't plan on going back to check during the season, so I guess I'll just wait to find out what actually happened to it. 

I read the books years ago, so I can't comment openly. From the show, I have no idea where the protomolecule is.

Book spoiler below:

Spoiler

IIRC, the protomolecule was payment to the breakaway Mars fleet that goes through the ring gates and hides themselves away for a couple of decades.

She’s really getting the spotlight this season. And doing amazing. 

I find her scenes damn near unwatchable. Every scene is an emotional breakdown over how much she loves Filip and regrets abandoning him, ending with her crying. I wonder if Dominique Tipper gets annoyed when she reads a script and realizes she has to cry 4 times in an episode.

Also, it seems to me that the protomolecule still exists because Naomi gave it to Fred Johnson, and her current season 5 struggles occurred because she chased Filip and got herself captured. Her emotions dictate her actions which causes problems for everyone.

The best episodes have lots of Amos and less of Naomi.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Loved the opening with Amos and Peaches pissing in the field. A little too much Naomi and not enough everyone else. I guess they want to show that she really struggled to get her message out.

Yeah that was an awfully long sequence that culminated in “she changed the broadcast a little”.

I actually thought she was going to do the right thing and blow the ship up herself.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Unless the episode is 3-4 hours long, I don’t feel like we are anywhere near being able to resolve the storylines in a way that feels satisfying 

Season 5/6 (and books 5/6) are essentially telling one overarching story - the conflict with the Inaros faction. It will be resolved at the end of season 6, if it follow the books. 

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, hornian said:

Season 5/6 (and books 5/6) are essentially telling one overarching story - the conflict with the Inaros faction. It will be resolved at the end of season 6, if it follow the books. 

Haven’t read the books. I assumed it was going to wrap up in 6, but i just don’t like where they are leaving the storyline knowing we have a year (2?) before we get the next season. 

10 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Haven’t read the books. I assumed it was going to wrap up in 6, but i just don’t like where they are leaving the storyline knowing we have a year (2?) before we get the next season. 

They have already started filming season 6 so really hoping we get this sooner rather than way later. 

2 hours ago, hornian said:

Been a while since I've read the book, but from what I remember, Nemesis Games can be wrapped up in one more episode, easily.

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVENT READ THE BOOKS

Spoiler
  • Naomi ejects from the ship and Bobbie rides the missile to get her (that might be the coolest visual of the season, if they pull it off)
  • Holden meets up with them and they rendezvous on Luna with Amos, who sneaks Peaches onto the ship
  • Avasarala announces her task force against the Free Navy and Naomi gets the immunity for spilling the beans on Marcos
  • MCRN ship enters the Laconian ring and ends with the alien fog killing them to end the season, which would be almost as cool as the ship being taken apart atom by atom on Venus

Big question to me is if they introduce Duarte at the very end or not at all, since they won't go past book 6.  But book 6 is also Fred's death, so I wonder if they speed up Avasarala's death from the time jump? 

I am hoping Marco strangles Philip. I was really shocked and excited when Naomi went out the airlock. Then she survived and sucked some more. I used to think Holden was too dramatic.

This season seems like they hired Walking Dead writers and thought the Farm was the pinnacle of that series. It feels like half of this season has revolved around Naomi being stupid and her stupid son’s stupid face.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Are we supposed to know where Naomi was going at the end?

I dug the whole shuttle heist part of the episode, even though Peaches was being a pain in the ass.

I thought Peaches was fine.  It would seem her motivation is to not get sucked into anxiousness and maintain the peace so she doesn't enter berserker mode. 

On 1/27/2021 at 6:48 PM, Nivek said:

I am hoping Marco strangles Philip. I was really shocked and excited when Naomi went out the airlock. Then she survived and sucked some more. I used to think Holden was too dramatic.

This season seems like they hired Walking Dead writers and thought the Farm was the pinnacle of that series. It feels like half of this season has revolved around Naomi being stupid and her stupid son’s stupid face.

I hope the entire family all strangle each other. Family drama getting old with quickness.

Also, the dude with his hand in his shirt (Amos' brother by another mother?) is terribad. Horrible horrible acting.

Show has contracted the GOT syndrome.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:13 AM, Buzzrock said:

Are we supposed to know where Naomi was going at the end?

I dug the whole shuttle heist part of the episode, even though Peaches was being a pain in the ass.

Peaches was acting as Amos' moral center, since Holden and Naomi aren't around. He knows he lacks empathy or something, so he latches onto somebody he knows has a strong sense of morality.

• Hook 'Em 3