The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

4 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I hope the entire family all strangle each other. Family drama getting old with quickness.

Also, the dude with his hand in his shirt (Amos' brother by another mother?) is terribad. Horrible horrible acting.

Show has contracted the GOT syndrome.

That dude actually does not have a hand in real life. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Ok. Ok I see you. 

Spoiler

Surprised they drifted into Laconia plot - thought they’d not touch it much due to ending after 6. Not just touched - name dropped Duarte, actually saw The Tempest and Laconia 

Anti-climactic rescue of Naomi - no missile surfing 

That was def a late death of Alex - just frozen the screen and called it a stroke. He’s a creep, deserved to be killed (a la Fred’s book death, just an offscreen stroke)

Amos bringing peaches aboard like that instead of in a crate was great. 

Knew the ending scene would bring it. Pretty great!  

Edited by Js1

Oh man....just excellent. 

Book convo coming up:

Spoiler

Also super surprised that they added the Laconians, maybe it's a bid to get more seasons? I liked how the handed the disappearances, seems like they should've dropped a few hints about that occurring more, but I suppose they can always do it next season.

1 hour ago, seven said:

Lol @ alex

Spoiler

so I get they needed to let him go, but they did a really shitty job of making it visually obvious he just had a massive stroke.... I saw the brain pic in the small screen showing 3 beeping regions- but I really thought he was somehow scanning Naomi's mind after all that shit and had gone quiet because he saw that she was about to die.  Its not until a min later when they have to flat out tell us hes had a stroke and dead.  I am not even sure if we were seeing Alex after he had died... or as he was dying and he recognized he was about to die because of the massive brain bleeds

That reeked of a bad rewrite for whatever the fuck they had planned

thats a show spoiler question

Edited by AUS-97HORN

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

3 or 4 episodes of Naomi cry breathing was a really bad idea.

I think it’ll watch better binged. Those episodes hurt the flow in a week by week airing bc it felt like nothing much happened for 2-3 weeks 

Can someone explain what happened with the Mars ship going through the ring at the end?  We’re those supposed to the things Holden senses?  Are they implying that they killed the martians when they went through?  

And are we expecting them to tackle both the belter war plot and the Martians new hole world now with protomolecule plot?  That seems like a lot. 

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

I think it’ll watch better binged. Those episodes hurt the flow in a week by week airing bc it felt like nothing much happened for 2-3 weeks 

That may be, but this was the first season where I thought they didn't live up to the corresponding book.  Nemesis Games was one of the best books of the series and this season was very meh.  Hopefully it can be attributed to covid difficulties and they'll bounce back.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

Terrible spoiler attempt. I think it was the cleanest way they could do it with limited reshoots bc of COVID

Yeah, it is what it is. Alex has always been my least favorite of the main cast anyway so I don't really care, but what a lol send off. 

13 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Can someone explain what happened with the Mars ship going through the ring at the end?  We’re those supposed to the things Holden senses?  Are they implying that they killed the martians when they went through?  

And are we expecting them to tackle both the belter war plot and the Martians new hole world now with protomolecule plot?  That seems like a lot. 

From what I understood, the Martian ships under the Alex's old tutor went rogue and planned on acquiring the ProMol so they could play with the alien tech on some ring planet.  They announced their intentions to defect and form their own group when they opened fire on the earth ships defending the ring from behinds while Marcos were engaging them from the front.   The Blonde Martian who interrogated Alex previously is a spy for MCRN.   

I never read the books so this is all a guess.

27 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Wtf was that? Are we supposed to know what happened to that ship or just wait 18 mos to find out?

Earlier in the season; Holden told Fred he saw something every time he transited the Ring. He had a computer simulate what he saw. It looked a lot like what took the MCRN ship apart in the last ep of this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

so we bailed on this season around episode three. my boys looked at us and said "what happened to the old expanse?" they loved the previous seasons, but this one...i dunno, it's different in a "start over again" sort of way. 

is it worth finishing/subjecting my boys to boredom for the end? they really weren't feeling it.

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so we bailed on this season around episode three. my boys looked at us and said "what happened to the old expanse?" they loved the previous seasons, but this one...i dunno, it's different in a "start over again" sort of way. 

is it worth finishing/subjecting my boys to boredom for the end? they really weren't feeling it.

Yes, don't let your boys be quitters.  The show is still great. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

I think it'll watch better in a binge format.  It wasn't a good season for week to week. 

The problem this season to me was the lack of history on these characters as they were sent out on their own. They tried to fill in during the episodes, but you had to watch closely & sometimes it was ambiguous or confusing. This made their individual plot lines kinda meh. 

Spoiler

During the last episode, I had trouble IDing  the ships during the battles. It felt only loosely organized. As a book reader, this season was a let down. Still excited for next season.

2 minutes ago, TexMex Horn said:

The problem this season to me was the lack of history on these characters as they were sent out on their own. They tried to fill in during the episodes, but you had to watch closely & sometimes it was ambiguous or confusing. This made their individual plot lines kinda meh. 

Hide contents

During the last episode, I had trouble IDing  the ships during the battles. It felt only loosely organized. As a book reader, this season was a let down. Still excited for next season.

Spoiler

The battles in the finale episode confused the fuck out of me too.  

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Episode 4 is one of the best of the series 

Wtf was that? Are we supposed to know what happened to that ship or just wait 18 mos to find out?

being the coonass i am, i can’t read. so what follows is not from the books but rather a guess...but ima say it was technology from the alien race that exterminated the builders of the protomolecule back on Ilus and beyond.

the protomolecule apparently presents real and present danger to them.

On 2/2/2021 at 8:20 PM, AUS-97HORN said:
  Reveal hidden contents

so I get they needed to let him go, but they did a really shitty job of making it visually obvious he just had a massive stroke.... I saw the brain pic in the small screen showing 3 beeping regions- but I really thought he was somehow scanning Naomi's mind after all that shit and had gone quiet because he saw that she was about to die.  Its not until a min later when they have to flat out tell us hes had a stroke and dead.  I am not even sure if we were seeing Alex after he had died... or as he was dying and he recognized he was about to die because of the massive brain bleeds

That reeked of a bad rewrite for whatever the fuck they had planned

thats a show spoiler question

Spoiler

If you watch the scene where they froze him on the Razorback you can see little droplets of CGI blood floating away from his mouth and nose. I agree though that it was too subtle. I understand they had to get rid of him but even the way they did it, they could have made it more explicit.

3 hours ago, Xminus6 said:
  Hide contents

If you watch the scene where they froze him on the Razorback you can see little droplets of CGI blood floating away from his mouth and nose. I agree though that it was too subtle. I understand they had to get rid of him but even the way they did it, they could have made it more explicit.

I had to rewind to catch what happened there a few scenes later. I got what they were trying to go for the second time, but they made it a little to subtle. 

Marcos is just an unlikeable character.  I dunno if it was the character or the actor but I liked the bad guys in previous seasons, he was just a beating when he was on screen.

My guess is the problem is that he wasn’t well written and in the show he basically repeats himself. Belter ships must reek.

On 2/5/2021 at 9:27 PM, Nivek said:

My guess is the problem is that he wasn’t well written and in the show he basically repeats himself. Belter ships must reek.

Yes, he's not an emo who wear eyeliner in the books.  The book this season is based on is one of the best in the series.  In retrospect, this season was a pretty big let down both from how good the show has been and how good the source material is that they had to work with for this one.  Naomi sucked the life out of the season once she escaped from the Inaros' ship.  I really hope this can all be blamed on the rona and Alex being rapey in real life.

Edited by kevwun

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

Yes, he's not an emo who wear eyeliner in the books.  The book this season is based on is one of the best in the series.  In retrospect, this season was a pretty big let down both from how good the show has been and how good the source material is that they had to work with for this one.  Naomi sucked the life out of the season once she escaped from the Inaros' ship.  I really hope this can all be blamed on the rona and Alex being rapey in real life.

I think Naomi sucked the life out of the season the moment she split from the Rosci. Her exit from Inaros' ship was her best moment of the season.  Then once she got onboard the other ship, she went right back to being a beating this season.   I cannot imagine the actress was happy with the overall product.  Sure she was featured a bit, but she spent the majority of the season whining, crying, pleading,  rinse and repeat.    

Amos getting one over on Holden was funny as hell.  

Loved Amos this season. As said above the way he got Peaches on board was really cool.

Also, I believe it was the end of episode 5, after he snd Peaches had killed that guy to “do whatever they have to to do” and he’s reflecting on how Holden wouldn’t be happy he did something like that.

The he said “I need to get back to my crew”. Like he knows he doesn’t want to be that kind of person and needs them to keep him from being that.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 3 months later...

Just finished bingeing everything for the first time. The most recent Naomi portions also dragged while bingeing, but at the same time, it really captured the futility of her situation and her dogged efforts to save her friends from harm. But I have no use for her dipshit son and that whole plotline. 

I haven't read the books, but one thing that occurred to me early on is that the main(ish) characters are all so well-developed that the show could be remade several times over while being told from a different character's perspective and that it would likely be an entertaining and substantially different story each time. I'm not suggesting that this is happening, or even that it should - just marveling at the marriage between characters and the sprawling, multi-dimensional plotline. 

And I love Aversarala's voice - you're incorrect, @Buzzrock

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 4 months later...