The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

2 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Just finished.  Great show! 

Thinking of finishing the rest via books or do I need to start from the beginning?

I would start from the beginning because there was enough characters who were important that the show either combined or didn’t include. But if don’t want to do that, at least read Cibola Burn (what the 4 the season was based on) and the Strange Dogs Novella before you read the last 3. There’s enough from those two books that factor majorly into the last three that you’d be a bit lost without reading them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, hornian said:

I would start from the beginning because there was enough characters who were important that the show either combined or didn’t include. But if don’t want to do that, at least read Cibola Burn (what the 4 the season was based on) and the Strange Dogs Novella before you read the last 3. There’s enough from those two books that factor majorly into the last three that you’d be a bit lost without reading them. 

Agree with this. I’d just read them all though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

That scene of Amos dropping in was fucking badass. Rail gun rounds blasting by him while the G force tries to tear him apart.

I stood up and did a fist pump.

That scene made me want to see Wes Chatham as Rico in a Starship Troopers reboot

Seeing how this is probably my favorite show and favorite sci-fi series, I’d just like to say I thought they handled the ending great. They stuck to the source material and managed to end it perfectly for whatever is to come next (even if that’s nothing). I’m glad they didn’t fumble it on the 1 yard line like some shows we can all name.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Seeing how this is probably my favorite show and favorite sci-fi series, I’d just like to say I thought they handled the ending great. They stuck to the source material and managed to end it perfectly for whatever is to come next (even if that’s nothing). I’m glad they didn’t fumble it on the 1 yard line like some shows we can all name.

I agree they stuck the landing, but it certainly helped that the source material was structured the way it is - 3 three-book arcs to resolve the main human conflicts in each arc in the third book. 

It also gives me hope that they’ll eventually finish the series (either as a few more seasons, or a movie trilogy) because it’s an easier sell - built in fan base, ending already written, and history of ending it (twice already) in a better fashion than most shows. 

I’m about to start Leviathan Falls (I’ve been holding off, as I love the series so much).

They really stuck the landing, and left openings for follow up movies or new series if they want, without creating unresolved storylines.

As badass as Wes Chatham is as Amos, Cara Gee is guilty of grand theft in the first degree for stealing every scene she is in as Drummer. And if you don’t say “Drumm-ah” with a Belter accent, re-evaluate your life. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 6

On 1/15/2022 at 8:00 AM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Just finished.  Great show! 

Thinking of finishing the rest via books or do I need to start from the beginning?

Strongly recommend starting with the first book. Beyond the fact it’s 100% worth it, the books do three things better than the series:

1. Miller is such a great character and while Thomas Jane did him justice, it’s so much better in the books.

2. The life in the Belt is much more built out and explored and helps to understand why they hate the inners so much.  For example: the belters all grow up in zero and micro gravity, so they are literally a foot taller than the inners and have all these heath problems, but also are just naturals in space.  The tv show is limited in that it was shot in gravity. The book creates a rich world where there is no “up” or “down” you are either on the float or not.

3. There’s more back store on Mars that will make the last three books make much more sense.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Amos was easily my fav character from the books.

Last book was definitely a worthy end to the series.

Spoiler

I lost attention span during some of the inner monologue sections trying to explain the protomolecule groupthink. Will re-read.

I think they packed a little too much into one book and sort of rushed it, this was about 1.5 books worth if paced out with more worldbuilding.

I want more Expanse books.

• Hook 'Em 1

But what about Alien Pet Cemetery?

Loved the series and hopefully we see the rest of this story play out either as a movie or series elsewhere.

Amazon has plenty of shitty shows it is a shame that one of their better ones gets canceled.

Fuck You Bezos!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/18/2022 at 8:38 PM, F250 said:

But what about Alien Pet Cemetery?

Loved the series and hopefully we see the rest of this story play out either as a movie or series elsewhere.

Amazon has plenty of shitty shows it is a shame that one of their better ones gets canceled.

Fuck You Bezos!

Bezos is actually the reason it survived.  I guess he’s a fan of the books and ordered the execs to buy it when Syfy cancelled it.

Doing the last 3 books would have been really hard.  They are 30 years in the future.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we see some spin off series or one off movies to get us to a point where the do the final book. 

Edited by Bateshorn

Strongly recommend starting with the first book. Beyond the fact it’s 100% worth it, the books do three things better than the series:
1. Miller is such a great character and while Thomas Jane did him justice, it’s so much better in the books.
2. The life in the Belt is much more built out and explored and helps to understand why they hate the inners so much.  For example: the belters all grow up in zero and micro gravity, so they are literally a foot taller than the inners and have all these heath problems, but also are just naturals in space.  The tv show is limited in that it was shot in gravity. The book creates a rich world where there is no “up” or “down” you are either on the float or not.
3. There’s more back store on Mars that will make the last three books make much more sense.

I just started the book series. Halfway through book 2. Absolutely agree that the books (so far) are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'd been saving this last season for a while.  Quite a while it seems.

Good show. I enjoyed most of the characters and actors and was only ever minorly annoyed at the sort of goody-goody Holden and Naomi.

I think Alex was my favorite character, though, sorry that dude couldn't keep his pecker in his pants or whatever he did.

I didn't really care for most of the space battles, though.  I never knew who was shooting and who was getting shot, or basically wtf was going on at any given time.