2022 ATH Anthony Jones

texifornia

(Blair Angulo) Anthony Jones goes in depth on Texas commitment

Spoiler

Anthony Jones saw enough.

The three-star jumbo athlete from Henderson (Nev.) Liberty embarked on his second official visit of the recruiting process this past weekend, making it out to Texas for his first-ever look at the Longhorns. His expectations for the visit were high and Texas surpassed those.

Midway through the trip, Jones knew Austin was where he wanted to be and announced his commitment.

"Just having that real good connection with the whole coaching staff was big," Jones told 247Sports. "I’ve always had that close relationship with coach PK (Pete Kwiatkowski) and when he made the switch to Texas I always had the thought in mind I’m going over there as well. The history behind Texas football is unbelievable and I want to be a part of what coach Steve Sarkisian is building over there at Texas.

"Coach Sark brought on a lot of coaches with experience and good winning backgrounds, so being around all of these successful coaches will only set me up to be the best version of myself. I would go up there to play outside linebacker because I think that’s where I’ll develop the best under coach PK. The staff has been amazing since they started talking to me and when I got up there it just felt like family. I think that I will fit perfectly in coach PK’s defense -- it would allow me to come off the edge but also drop back into coverage where I can show how athletic I am. There will be no more visits to other schools. Austin is my new home."

The 6-foot-5, 242-pound Jones had visited Miami on opening weekend and also scheduled an official with Oregon. He had previously been committed to Washington but backed off that pledge following the departure of Kwiatkowski and once other programs got involved.

Jones is the nation's No. 48 rated athlete and No. 11 overall prospect in the state of Nevada for the 2022 class, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings.

Jones made his initial decision to commit to the Huskies in mid December after visiting Seattle but garnered additional interest and opted to slow things down heading into the spring. The Hurricanes had been recruiting Jones exclusively for tight end, while Texas and USC talked to Jones mostly about filling an edge rusher role at the next level.

Jones had a strong sophomore season in 2019 at Las Vegas (Nev.) Arbor View and followed that up with an impressive start to the off-season camp circuit before the ongoing recruiting dead period went into the place. He played some club football this spring to get some highlights together since the season for Clark County public schools was cancelled.

As a sophomore, Jones had an impact on the defensive side of the ball and was credited with 37 total tackles.

After going into effect back in March of 2020 due to the nationwide shutdown, the NCAA’s temporary recruiting dead period lifted on Jun. 1 of 2021. That opened the floodgates for college coaches to host and interact face-to-face with prospective student-athletes from the class of 2022 and 2023 for the first time in almost 15 months.

While many schools have been rushing to get top targets on campus for both unofficial and official visits, camps have become just as important this summer with many staffs wanting to size up and work out recruits that they have never had a chance to evaluate in-person before.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

while Texas and USC talked to Jones mostly about filling an edge rusher role at the next level.

PK: “We’re gonna get you a ton of good looks at the QB from different formations and alignments and put you in the best position to succeed.” 

Orlando: “if we have you rush the passer all the time, the other team will know it’s coming and we won’t have anyone in deep coverage when i blitz the safety from 30 yards out on 3rd and 5 for the sixth straight time. But let me tell ya, that offense ain’t gonna know what hit em on those one or two plays a game where you do get to rush the passer!” 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...