St. Louis Man Killed Because of Grass Clippings

Vic Mackey

St. Louis County prosecutor investigating if deadly shooting over grass clippings was self-defense

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) -- News 4 spoke exclusively to the landscaper seen in a video showing the moments before and after a Glasgow Village man was killed. He said the deadly shooting was in self-defense.

The fiancé of 29-year-old Allen Waller describes his killing as senseless. The father was killed Sunday after a dispute erupted between him and his neighbor’s landscaper over grass clippings. Waller’s fiancé - who didn’t want to be identified - told News 4 they’ve been complaining to their neighbor for years about yard debris left behind by her landscaper.

News 4 obtained home surveillance video showing the moments before and after the shooting. The video shows the neighbor bringing two men to Waller’s door step. They go around the corner of the home out of frame, then seconds go by and the neighbor is seen sprinting across her yard. The video reveals a third man walking from a truck parked on the street with a gun.

St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Wesley Bell’s office told News 4 they have taken the matter for charges under advisement because "of the element of self-defense." They said charges will depend on what additional evidence turns up. 

The landscaper and his family told News 4 they wish to remain anonymous after receiving a deluge of death threats.

The landscaper said he went to Waller’s home on Sunday after his client, the woman in the video, said he had an issue with grass blades blowing into this driveway.

“And I’m like 'sir, I understand there’s grass on your property, don’t you think the wind could have blown this over?'” the landscaper said.

The man said when Waller took them around the corner of the house, out of sight of the surveillance camera, things became intense.

“He pulls out his gun from his waistband and cocks it and starts waving it around to me and my brother and put it to my brother’s head,” the landscaper said.

The landscaper told News 4 he brought his two brothers with him after his client told him Waller’s been spotted by neighbors brandishing his gun during arguments.

News 4 has tried reaching out to Waller’s immediate family. Family members have expressed disappointment with charges not being filed yet in this case on social media.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Wesley Bell’s office would not be filing charges in the case. This story has been updated to reflect his office has taken the matter under advisement.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The landscaper told News 4 he brought his two brothers with him after his client told him Waller’s been spotted by neighbors brandishing his gun during arguments.

And that’s where he fucked up. You don’t confront a nut job who pulls a gun during arguments. They should have stayed home. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I’ve read the story 3 times and I still don’t understand what happened.  Horrible reporting.

Lawn clipping blow over…

3 people walk over to neighbor’s house

Neighbor plus 3 people walk around the corner out of sight of the security camera

One of the neighbors runs away (unclear which one)

Someone (a 5th person?) walks from a truck with a gun

Who shot who and when?

I guess you had to be there...

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

I’ve read the story 3 times and I still don’t understand what happened.  Horrible reporting.

Lawn clipping blow over…

Neighbor plus 3 people walk around the corner out of sight of the security camera

Who shot who and when?

thank you! did the exact same thing. fucking media. just get the story right, do your job! 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Lawn clipping blow over…

Who shot who and when?

Horribly written article. 

the white grass clip hating neighbor Waller is the one who complained to the landscapers (2 black gentlemen) about grass clippings getting into his shitty ass lawn. seriously his lawn looks like shit and he's complaining about grass clippings? anyway, the white neighbor takes the 2 black landscapers to the side of the house and allegedly starts waiving a gun around and points it at one of the black landscapers. the two landscapers run to their cars. a 3rd brother (family, not urban slang) runs back to to confront the neighbor with what looks like a ar-15 type rifle and allegedly shoots the the white grass clip hating, shitty lawn having neighbor in the chest.

america loves guns so we are slowing going back to the wild west. i can't wait for gun duels on main street.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Lawn clipping blow over…
Who shot who and when?

You’ll take this news and like it! Damn lucky not to have to pay to see this Pulitzer prose.

15 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Lawn clipping blow over…

Who shot who and when?

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

the white grass clip hating neighbor Waller is the one who complained to the landscapers (2 black gentlemen) about grass clippings getting into his shitty ass lawn. seriously his lawn looks like shit and he's complaining about grass clippings? anyway, the white neighbor takes the 2 black landscapers to the side of the house and allegedly starts waiving a gun around and points it at one of the black landscapers. the two landscapers run to their cars. a 3rd brother (family, not urban slang) runs back to to confront the neighbor with what looks like a ar-15 type rifle and allegedly shoots the the white grass clip hating, shitty lawn having neighbor in the chest.

america loves guns so we are slowing going back to the wild west. i can't wait for gun duels on main street.

Based on that analysis I gotta vote NG. You don't wave a gun around to intimidate people because you have a tiny dick. You kill or be killed. He chose poorly.

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Not that it really matters but the shooter(s) (the 3 brothers/landscapers) were black, the shootie was black (Waller, white tshirt/red shorts wearing disgruntled neighbor with lawn clippings in his driveway, who takes landscapers around the corner to threaten them with the pistol) and the other neighbor girl (who hired the landscapers) was the only white person involved.

2 minutes ago, davidg said:

Not that it really matters but the shooter(s) (the 3 brothers/landscapers) were black, the shootie was black (Waller, white tshirt/red shorts wearing disgruntled neighbor with lawn clippings in his driveway, who takes landscapers around the corner to threaten them with the pistol) and the other neighbor girl (who hired the landscapers) was the only white person involved.

i thought waller was white. 

Grandmother-1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

21 hours ago, RPM said:

Based on that analysis I gotta vote NG. You don't wave a gun around to intimidate people because you have a tiny dick. You kill or be killed. He chose poorly.

True. But if the story is accurate (which is highly questionable based on how poorly it's written), they didn't shoot as soon as he pulled the gun. They ran away, then another one of them returned with a gun and shot him. That's going to make the self-defense argument harder. 

4 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

True. But if the story is accurate (which is highly questionable based on how poorly it's written), they didn't shoot as soon as he pulled the gun. They ran away, then another one of them returned with a gun and shot him. That's going to make the self-defense argument harder. 

Harder?

On 6/14/2021 at 7:48 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Lawn clipping blow over…

Who shot who and when?

And who's having sex with the hen?

Harder?
If you leave & then come back (or leave & then someone else comes over), you can't prove that your life was in danger.

You & the 3rd person (shooter that had been waiting in the vehicle) apparently had the ability to totally leave the scene.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

If you leave & then come back (or leave & then someone else comes over), you can't prove that your life was in danger.

You & the 3rd person (shooter that had been waiting in the vehicle) apparently had the ability to totally leave the scene.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I appreciate your explanation, but yeah, I'm aware of that.

My reply was sarcastic, intended to highlight that it's not only "harder" to make a self defense claim if you leave the scene safely, only to return with a weapon, it's basically impossible.  Or at least it should be.

Hope your weekend is fantastic.