Abbott signs NIL bill

cdain3

This may be a stupid question because I haven't followed this as closely as I probably should.

It seems like the fundamental issue is players receiving compensation from third parties for the use of their name, image, and likeness.  And that seems to contemplate or require the university to be a "clearinghouse"  or negotiation "point" for the players. That would seem to be a licensing situation like the ones Donald Trump is so fond of:  do nothing, get money.

A lot of these tweets act like these kids are going into the apparel business, which is quite a bit different from licensing your NIL.  Example:  The University of Texas makes a shit ton of money from licensing trademarks for apparel, but is nowhere near in the apparel business.

First off, do/did NCAA rules forbid athletes from operating a business?  If so, does the NIL stuff exempt all of that, or just the narrow ability to receive licensing fees?

Edited by TwiceHorn

Also, in the general thread on NIL, I questioned the need for federal legislation in the area, which is something I always do, reflexively.

Interesting that the findings portion of this bill basically begs the feds to prescribe a one-size fits all solution.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, in the general thread on NIL, I questioned the need for federal legislation in the area, which is something I always do, reflexively.

Interesting that the findings portion of this bill basically begs the feds to prescribe a one-size fits all solution.

No one likes competition, not even states

• Hook 'Em 2

Sark to 5* recruit:

"Yes, sign with Texas and earn a world-class education while playing your favorite sport."

Current players to 5* recruit during official visit:

"How much you want?  We have people ready to buy your branded shirts and shoes for 10K a piece.  Is that cool, or you need more? We have connections and people who will set up your business."

2 weeks later, 5* recruit commits.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Viper said:

No one likes competition, not even states

I can certainly see the appeal of a "national" solution.  That's the case with a lot of federal legislation.  Doesn't always make it the right thing to do.

In this particular instance, because NCAA seems to have been pushed out of it by events, a federal solution may be the thing to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Every football player gonna design clothes now?   

If I can just get a proper burnt orange rope hat I'll be happy.

I've got one now it's just kinda faded and fucked up from wearing it too much in the sun.

I feel like the players envision a line of stylish clothes but the reality will be similar to the poorly made T shirts I used to see sold outside the stadium in the early 90s that looked like a the graphics were done by a blind person drawing with their feet. 

7 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I feel like the players envision a line of stylish clothes but the reality will be similar to the poorly made T shirts I used to see sold outside the stadium in the early 90s that looked like a the graphics were done by a blind person drawing with their feet. 

Yeah, I'm going to guess that a lot of licensees are going to do work on the cheap, bigtime.  Like 287c.  Because the value proposition of a player is dubious and short-term.

In the trademark context, the trademark owner has to exercise quality control over the licensee or lose trademark rights.  I'm not sure if that applies to this kind of thing, but they're certainly related.

44 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I'm all for it as long as the skill guys don't start doing shit on the field to draw attention to themselves. Could you imagine Terrell Owen's playing college ball while promoting himself.

Plenty of player already do "look at me" shit all the time

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

I for one will enjoy watching the demand and valuation of brands pre and post enrollment.  Market demand will hurt the egos for many.  Some will profit and most won't and  that's fair.  

It's also interesting because licensees will have to sign err'body up ASAP because you never know who's going to be a marketable commodity.  And that's probably going to drive "prices" down.  I suppose those with a lot of potential, such as 5* skill positions, might get the standard deal with the ability to renegotiate every year. 

Then again, if it's per-unit sales royalty, and a player flames out or doesn't amount to much, no harm no foul.  But some may get lump sums or advance royalties.

Volleyball players selling hot pants & posters of them wearing hot pants.

Men’s National Champion Swimmers selling bathing suits and posters of 6-pack abs. 

Women’s Track Sprinters selling Brazilian Floss bathing suits and painted on jeans that highlight Dat Ass.

Baseball team with signature bats, batting gloves, fielding gloves, eye-black crap.

Basketball players with signature EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN.

McCombs students pairing with athletes finding every possible endorsement possibility under the sun.

The Wild Fucking West!

SIDE NOTE: aggie turning into a degree factory of devoted cult members and ~70K undergrads (50K) & grad students (20K) in College Station alone is going to make for a strong regional brand floor of opportunity. Even their Softball team will be able to profit off of a swimsuit calendar… as will their Yell Leaders. (NTTIAWWT)

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

SIDE NOTE: aggie turning into a degree factory of devoted cult members and ~70K undergrads (50K) & grad students (20K) in College Station alone is going to make for a strong regional brand floor of opportunity. Even their Softball team will be able to profit off of a swimsuit calendar… as will their Yell Leaders. (NTTIAWWT)

Screw that, the ag department is about to make a killing!

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's also interesting because licensees will have to sign err'body up ASAP because you never know who's going to be a marketable commodity.  And that's probably going to drive "prices" down.  I suppose those with a lot of potential, such as 5* skill positions, might get the standard deal with the ability to renegotiate every year. 

Then again, if it's per-unit sales royalty, and a player flames out or doesn't amount to much, no harm no foul.  But some may get lump sums or advance royalties.

Woah, woah, woah.  First off, count me in the EVERY position is a skill position camp, but i get your point;)

Just did a quick read of the SB.  

First off no money can be made by the player from the University prior to enrolling and any contract ends when no longer enrolled.  

Regarding the royalty, the way the language reads, players can earn money only from outside of "team" activities and no player contract can impede a contract the institution already has with someone.  So no split of ticket sales or royalties the university already gets.  That said, your name/jersey sells we cut you in.  

Also, i noticed the language went from agent to lawyers as being the only ones who can represent and negotiate the contracts for the players.  Well, thats good for the lawyers. 

7 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

This is the first step in in monetizing student athletes as influencers. This is gonna be some wild shit and some serious money is going to be made… and lost.

I personally look forward to paying Bijan to do an audio voice over on Fiverr. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

This was my thought, too.   Unless their clothes are all going to have pictures of them, or unless they’re just kind of implicitly acknowledging the clothes part is a sham and they’re going to be getting paid for playing college sports, I’m not even sure how they were prohibited from this before.  Couldn’t a college football player have a legitimate clothing business even under the old rules?

Lol wut. You honestly thought college players could run a business and make profits from it without losing eligibility?

And any player who creates their own clothing brand will pretty much automatically incorporate their NIL because it’s their clothing brand. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I'm going to guess that a lot of licensees are going to do work on the cheap, bigtime.  Like 287c.  Because the value proposition of a player is dubious and short-term.

In the trademark context, the trademark owner has to exercise quality control over the licensee or lose trademark rights.  I'm not sure if that applies to this kind of thing, but they're certainly related.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think you’re looking at this a little too formally and narrowly. NIL encompasses way more than just licensing for trademarked brands and logos. Players can now be paid for tweeting about a company, making appearances, autograph sessions, public speaking, etc. many of these can be small, upfront transactions that don’t require a lot of excessive legal fees or enforcement and the players have to submit the contracts to the University, so I’d bet the university will provide some free contract review for the players and probably have standardized form contracts for a lot of these situations.