Airport Eats

I didn't bother to search and I don't care if there is already a thread for it but just in case there is not.

How about a thread to discuss various places to eat in airports? 

What are some of y'all favorite eating spots in airports?

I'm always a fan of Tortas Frontera by Rick Bayless in O'hare.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

The single greatest place to camp out and eat in any airport is the Turkish Air business lounge in Istanbul. I would just go on vacation there. It offers:

Turkish pide and kabobs during the day, full Turkish breakfast in the AM

Olive and snack bar and a Turkish lemonade stand that is superb 

Beer and wine (pretty good stuff and draft EFES)

Liquor cart with— not exactly top shelf but very decent stuff. Think Johnny Walker Black, Stolichnaya, Jack Daniels, etc. Mix that shit with the lemonade

Roving masseuse (no DeShaun, this is a shoulder rub over clothes you degenerates) 

Showers, video game station, new release movies, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I would never step in an establishment like this outside of an airport, but the chili’s in the Dallas LUV airport used to serve some banging margaritas when you only had like 10 minutes before jumping on a plane.

When I was a weekly traveller between Dallas and Houston I was there every Friday.  Get started at Chili's then once on the plane to Hobby the drink tickets came out and the good stewardess would have your drink in your hand before you left the gate.  The good old days on SWA.

• Hook 'Em 1

My go-to pre-Covid at DFW:

I would always get to the airport 20 minutes early for lunch/dinner because I would always enter in Terminal A, gates 16/17 area where the Precheck is. Walk down to A16 and hit up Salt Lick BBQ; because I was expensing my meal I went a la carte eschewing the meals. Was always around $35-40 bucks, but it was good.

Then because you are there at A16 you can take the escalator up to the skylink that is adjacent to the Salt Lick seating and go to other terminals. 80% of the time my flight was leaving out of Terminal A anyways.

flew out of San Antonio for a non-stop to Guadalajara a couple of years ago and our original flight was canceled so we ended up with like a 7 hour wait for the next one (Interjet, the Spirit airline of Mexico lol)

the airline did give us each $25 of airport food credit, but the SA airport is tiny and there was really only one sit-down restaurant...Mexican of course, i can't remember the name but there arent a lot of options so it would stand out...

anyway, they had the BEST queso fundido I've ever had, came out sizzling hot, peppers, onions, chorizo, in a molcajete, with huge homemade tortillas. also had some tortilla soup that was fantastic. 

the margs were very strong and delicious... there were 4 of us, we sat there just randomly ordering stuff for like 3 hours lol. rolled out of there drunk, i'm sure that's never happened at an airport 🤣

anyway, was pretty much the best meal/drinks I've ever had at an airport.

6 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

The Milanesa Torta at Rick Bayless’ Frontera Grill in O’Hare is the best airport meal I’ve ever had. I’ve eaten in airports 3 days a week for the last 17 years. 

Is that the one in the international terminal?  We ate there before our trip to Germany in late 2019.  Was much better than the food in the SAS lounge.

40 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

There’s one and B and one over in either H or K. There may be one in the international terminal but I haven’t seen it, only been through there once or twice.

There is a Rick Bayless restaurant in the international terminal, I just don't remember which one.  It was tasty, though.

Love Field has a Whataburger that's in the middle of everything (and not in an outpost location like DFW). 

Swetts at BNA is above average. 

Harry & Izzy's at IND is very worthwhile. 

Obrycki's at BWI can be quite good. 

Belgium Beer Cafe at EWR is good and more interesting than most airport spots.

The best however is Cathay' The Wing in HKG and Turkish's lounge at IST.  

CLT... meh.. Cinnabon?  Popeyes is in Nashville. And there’s a Whataburger in IAH too. Chick fil A in Hobby hidden over by the international gates. Ya Ya Mary’s Mediterranean pitas is also over there and is good too, but still closed for the vid. 

6 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I would always get to the airport 20 minutes early for lunch/dinner because I would always enter in Terminal A, gates 16/17 area where the Precheck is. Walk down to A16 and hit up Salt Lick BBQ; because I was expensing my meal I went a la carte eschewing the meals. Was always around $35-40 bucks, but it was good.

Then because you are there at A16 you can take the escalator up to the skylink that is adjacent to the Salt Lick seating and go to other terminals. 80% of the time my flight was leaving out of Terminal A anyways.

I've done this a few times myself.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Unfortunately it's a 2 hour layover around dinner time...

I had a pulled pork sandwich that wasn't bad there. Can't remember the name of the place, but it's bbq place out in the concourse so you can't miss it. Not Texas bbq, but pretty good. 

7 hours ago, After irth said:

Yes. Don’t go there. 

This is good advice. I've eaten at the Chilis in CLT too many times.

Really don't know if anything makes it past Covid, so this may be outdated by now, but Sushi Kyotatsu near NRT gate B33 was always good.

18 hours ago, Enchubben said:

I would never step in an establishment like this outside of an airport, but the chili’s in the Dallas LUV airport used to serve some banging margaritas when you only had like 10 minutes before jumping on a plane.

I just ate at that Chili's. Good burger and fries for like $10.50. Service was excellent (it is in Dallas). Sometimes you just need a meal like that. 

19 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Any Charlotte(CLT) recs?

Used to go through there a lot because I’ve got a second office in Greenville, SC and flight schedules direct to GSP are limited.  Nothing great in the food department but one of the best shoe shines in the country. Allow a solid 15 to 20 minutes. I’d often pack a second pair of dress shoes and get to my return flight a bit early to double up. Haven’t been through post COVID though. 

Pre Covid, I would be flying all over the country on a weekly basis and the second I saw this thread I was going to post the Rick Bayless Torta in H/K at O'Hare with chips and guacamole is the best meal you will find.  You can hit up some expensive places in DFW and Miami like a Abacus/Shula's but those Tortas in Chicago are fantastic for a quick meal.  In Philly I always go to Legal Seafood and grab some fried whole belly clams and a cup of clam chowder or if you want the cheap cheese steak experience there is a Genos in the food court in Philly.

Also, I got food poisoning from that sushi joint in the middle of the concourse at Charlotte Airport so my vote would be a hard pass on that place.

Worst airport and worst food in the country (talking about major airports) easily goes to Kansas City.  

23 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I haven't been in Texas for several months and ate there a few weeks ago on a layover and it was awful

When I was a kid in the RGV, Harlingen’s VIA had an airport grill that was legit one of the top choices around. It was basically greasy burgers, fries, stuff like that but it was damn good, good enough that plenty of people would go get a burger there even if they were not flying anywhere.  It got ripped out during a big remodel and replaced with a throughly mediocre place.

• 1 month later...