2022 K Will Stone

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

A left footed kicker.  

They defense won't be expecting that.

THIS

I was thinking that we could roll Dicker out for some punts and then throw a change up with LEFTY. 

The reverse spin can fuck up the returner. 

From a poster on another board:

Spoiler

Evening all,

I wanted to weigh into the discussion about our new kicker Will Stone.

I'm the game day sports announcer for the Regents School of Austin and have been doing Basketball (boys/girls), Soccer (boys/girls), Volleyball (girls) and Baseball for 8+ years and recently started doing Football announcing (prior to a that I had been the spotter for the team and traveled to away games to do that). I've also done regional, area, sweet 16 and elite 8 announcing with TAPPS (but have not done final 4 yet) so I've seen a lot of TAPPS high school sports.

Will is legitimate. Having watched him the past 3 years of varsity, he consistently places his kickoffs in to the end-zone. When asked to "directional kick", he has been able to place it close to either side line at around the 5 yard line where Regents coverage teams have, more times than not, kept the returner from even making it to the 20. In his time, I can't think of any kickoff returns that have gotten run back.

His PATs are as automatic as a HS player could be. The only misses that I have seen were a breakdown in blocking.

Field goals are pretty good as well. I believe he nailed a 45+ yard one this year (or last, can't remember). Once again, blocking has been the only real time that he hasn't nailed the kicks.

Punting is getting better. He's no Michael Dickson, but I've seen him have steady improvement since freshman year.

Some of his recent videos that are out there and seen in Hudl were take at Midway High School in Waco at the state championship this past year vs Dallas Christian, so he's been exposed to (as far as high school is concerned) pressure games. By the way, Regents won the game on a pick 6 return for a touchdown on the final play of the game. Google it to see an incredible play

Now here is the amazing thing. He's actually as good (or better) a soccer player. He has played Varsity soccer (and started) for Regents since his freshman year and has been instrumental in helping Regents go far into the TAPPS soccer playoffs. His footwork, as you can imagine, is stellar. And he's got some pretty good speed as well. We played a team in the soccer playoffs this year (can't remember which one) and our soccer coach pretty much put Will on their 1st team all-state player and Will shut.. him...down. We won and you could tell that other player was not used to being smothered like Will had done.

I'll say the obligatory "he's a great young man and academically sound" but I can say that this is true. He and my daughter are in the same grade (rising Seniors) and he's a "Yes Sir, No Sir" kind of player. Academically, Regents is really really challenging so I'm confident that he will do fine academically at UT.

On final thing. This past year, I was talking to one of our coaches. We were in the playoffs and (due to Covid) the season was delayed and our soccer season was starting. Because of this, it was a juggling match for field usage, locker room, etc... But this coach made it a point to point out that Will would leave the football practice and THEN go and practice with the soccer team (or vice versa). The coach said to other players.. "you think YOU are tired?.. Look at Stone.. he's not finished... he's going to (Football or Soccer) after today's practice.

That 's the kind of player Texas is getting.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 11:18 PM, Machinator said:

From a poster on another board:

Hide contents

Evening all,

I wanted to weigh into the discussion about our new kicker Will Stone.

I'm the game day sports announcer for the Regents School of Austin and have been doing Basketball (boys/girls), Soccer (boys/girls), Volleyball (girls) and Baseball for 8+ years and recently started doing Football announcing (prior to a that I had been the spotter for the team and traveled to away games to do that). I've also done regional, area, sweet 16 and elite 8 announcing with TAPPS (but have not done final 4 yet) so I've seen a lot of TAPPS high school sports.

Will is legitimate. Having watched him the past 3 years of varsity, he consistently places his kickoffs in to the end-zone. When asked to "directional kick", he has been able to place it close to either side line at around the 5 yard line where Regents coverage teams have, more times than not, kept the returner from even making it to the 20. In his time, I can't think of any kickoff returns that have gotten run back.

His PATs are as automatic as a HS player could be. The only misses that I have seen were a breakdown in blocking.

Field goals are pretty good as well. I believe he nailed a 45+ yard one this year (or last, can't remember). Once again, blocking has been the only real time that he hasn't nailed the kicks.

Punting is getting better. He's no Michael Dickson, but I've seen him have steady improvement since freshman year.

Some of his recent videos that are out there and seen in Hudl were take at Midway High School in Waco at the state championship this past year vs Dallas Christian, so he's been exposed to (as far as high school is concerned) pressure games. By the way, Regents won the game on a pick 6 return for a touchdown on the final play of the game. Google it to see an incredible play

Now here is the amazing thing. He's actually as good (or better) a soccer player. He has played Varsity soccer (and started) for Regents since his freshman year and has been instrumental in helping Regents go far into the TAPPS soccer playoffs. His footwork, as you can imagine, is stellar. And he's got some pretty good speed as well. We played a team in the soccer playoffs this year (can't remember which one) and our soccer coach pretty much put Will on their 1st team all-state player and Will shut.. him...down. We won and you could tell that other player was not used to being smothered like Will had done.

I'll say the obligatory "he's a great young man and academically sound" but I can say that this is true. He and my daughter are in the same grade (rising Seniors) and he's a "Yes Sir, No Sir" kind of player. Academically, Regents is really really challenging so I'm confident that he will do fine academically at UT.

On final thing. This past year, I was talking to one of our coaches. We were in the playoffs and (due to Covid) the season was delayed and our soccer season was starting. Because of this, it was a juggling match for field usage, locker room, etc... But this coach made it a point to point out that Will would leave the football practice and THEN go and practice with the soccer team (or vice versa). The coach said to other players.. "you think YOU are tired?.. Look at Stone.. he's not finished... he's going to (Football or Soccer) after today's practice.

That 's the kind of player Texas is getting.

Yeah but he's just a kicker - how much impact on a game could he possibly have?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...